STD
Differential interchanges - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Differential interchanges (/showthread.php?tid=377)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Differential interchanges - merc84 - 11-02-2014

Hey everyone. Im new to all this. I've gained quite a bit of knowledge on the W 126 chassis so far, but I have a w126 2nd Gen 2.47 LSD diff off a 560 sel that I want to put in my 300 SD 84 1st gen W 126. From what I've read I believe I can swap out the entire subframe to use that diff but I was curious to know if I'm able to swap the gears out of the 2nd gen diff (2.47 lsd) into the first gen housing (3.07) without any problems. Any information would be helpful thanks.

RE: Differential interchanges - swampmonkey - 11-02-2014

every house differs a bit, and every gear differ a bit, id say you will have a easier job swaping the subframe than switching the internals...

althou, i suspect you have to fabricate something at the back that will hold the differential in place, up in the chassi, those are different to...

if you live in canada, the easiest thing would be to get a differential from a 380SE 1982-1985 and put that in there....

+ you will have to swap the flange on your diff if you are getting the diff from a v8 car to a inline engine (the flange are bigger)

edit: if you have a 300SD you have the small house, the internals will NOT fit, the housings are of a totaly different size....
do you want the LSD or better gearing? as a canadian you might have a better chance of finding a LSD than in USA Smile

RE: Differential interchanges - Greazzer - 11-02-2014

If you have the chance, get a 2:65 LSD from a W116. Direct bolt on in a W123 except you need to change out the yoke, but it's a good time to replace all the seals anyways since you have it on the bench. I got a machinist to swap out the seals since you will need a 0-20 inch torque wrench. Well worth an hour at the machinist. Running a 300D NA with manual and the car is not slow or sluggish.

RE: Differential interchanges - SupremeTurbo617 - 11-04-2014

Maybe I am missing something obvious here but a lower gear set (2.47) will reduce my acceleration potential but increase my max speed due to lower rpms for the same speed. Thus (numbers not to scale) 90mph at 3200 with the 2.47 compared to 90 mph at 4000 with the 2.8X though to get to that point it will have to work harder to turn the wheels due to that lower ratio. So by going up to a 3.07 i will get a peppier off the line but reduce my top speed. Of course that is assuming that the inverse is true.

I would also make the jump that the reason mercedes used that "middle" value between the 3.07 and 2.47 is to make it have a decent get up and go whilst keeping the top speed acceptable.

Please respond because i would love to hit 160 with my 617 turbo (obviously not stock).

RE: Differential interchanges - swampmonkey - 11-05-2014

you need quite a lot of power to get the om617 to get you up to 160mph... despite gearing...

but if you upgrade gearbox+engine, a 2.47 might suit your need.
and no, acceleration wont be crazy slower anyhow... slower yes, but barely "noticable"