STD
The glove thread. - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The glove thread. (/showthread.php?tid=2893)

The glove thread. - winmutt - 08-21-2011

For those of you who use gloves, which ones do you find to be the best?

I have found these http://www.amazon.com/Microflex-MF300L-Powder-Diamond-Gloves/dp/B000FPKR3K to be the best so far. I am really interested in some reuseable ones.

RE: The glove thread. - iheartboost - 08-21-2011

I should really try to get used to gloves saves my hands from being black for a few days

RE: The glove thread. - smoke026 - 08-21-2011

I like gloves that I can quickly also utilize to scratch my BUM hole while im trying to reach for the 8MM Allen while changing mounts!

RE: The glove thread. - larsalan - 08-21-2011

I get glove from amazon too. But i use nitrile not latex. And get extra large or they're really tight.
http://www.amazon.com/SafeTouch-Nitrile-Gloves-Latex-Powder/dp/B0019QXACO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1313978756&sr=1-1
Then if I'm getting really rough I put mechanic gloves over them so they wont get torn. The mecanuc gloves are black, soaked in soot, oil and stuff.
But my hands and fingernails stay soft and clean.

RE: The glove thread. - 98taco3 - 08-21-2011

i use these. Get em from the local napa and havent had a problem with them breaking. Usually one pair per repair lol

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-5037-sas-safety-corp-66519.aspx

RE: The glove thread. - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-21-2011

Sometimes I use mechanics, I usually only use gloves if I am using a sanding wheel to finish metal. Other than that I go bareback Big Grin

RE: The glove thread. - 300D50 - 08-22-2011

I rarely use gloves, unless it's paint or something really nasty like MEK or a caustic/acidic solution.

RE: The glove thread. - Captain America - 08-22-2011

I HATE gloves

RE: The glove thread. - willbhere4u - 08-22-2011

bare back

RE: The glove thread. - yankneck696 - 08-22-2011

Homo Depot had some "Mechanix" type gloves on closeout about a year ago. I had used them before & was satisfied. Well, on closeout, they were $2.97 a pair. I cleaned out 4 different stores & still have about 25 pair left. After a few decades of washing my hands in diesel, kero Brakleen, carb cleaner or gas, I have become intolerant of petro products. If I don't wear protection, I get hives real bad on my hands. I wear Nitrile gloves & use the others over them when needed. Kinda sucks when you are a marine mechanic... Just a warning, you eventually can become sensitive to petro products after enough time.

Ed

RE: The glove thread. - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-22-2011

When I work on equipment with gear boxes, I break out on my arms - the gear oil is nasty. It is not the best habit in the world to work without protection, but it is a hard habit to break.

RE: The glove thread. - charmalu - 08-22-2011

I usually buy the blue nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight when on sale for $6.99. I did get them in Portland, or. a couple weeks ago for $5.99, and NO sales tax. Tongue

they are ok, some rip putting them on right out of the box. and others seem to last.I have pulled a whole sub frame out of a 123, and never change them. other times doing some piddly ass job, and go through three of them. I keep a small bottle of baby powder in my tool box to so I can get another pair on. kind of hard with sweaty hands.

The Black Nitrile one`s are suppose to be a little tougher, but at $12.99 a box (usually never on sale) is a little pricy.

30, 40 yrs ago never gave it a thought to have my hands in Paint thinner, gas, oil, grease etc.... now days everything seems to be bad and cause cancer etc.... now I wear the gloves for everything just about, even washing the car, and waxing it. my hands seem to dry out and crack easier, and especially in the winter time.

You can be a tough guy when you are young, but sooner or later it catches up with us.Sad

Charlie

RE: The glove thread. - 300D50 - 08-22-2011

if it's a frame or something, I do wear regular work gloves. I just can't stand the lack of sensation that a glove causes, or the slip/slop if I'm picking something small up.

I do wash my hands repeatedly with a "moisturizing" gojo-esque product though...

RE: The glove thread. - Captain America - 08-22-2011

I dont seem to be sensitive to anything yet Angel and like 300D50, hate the loss of dexterity.

Plus if a chick is uninterested because of my hands, then I am uninterested in her because she would never understand the fact that my vehicle (girlfriends) come before the human ones haha Tongue

RE: The glove thread. - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-23-2011

My kids alway get a kick out of how tough my hands are and how much heat I can tolerate when holding something "hot" to the average person.

RE: The glove thread. - JB3 - 08-23-2011

I use gloves 1. to protect my hands against all the forms of skin cancer the million types of fluids can cause, and 2. way easier to strip off a pair of gloves, wipe the sweat off your hands and open a customer's door without leaving fingerprints all over creation. You end up getting used to them, hated them at first, but doesnt really bother me at all anymore, and no more black greasy hands, just black greasy wrists. Big Grin

Worked with a guy who had so damaged the sensitivity of his hands working in a chroming facility that he was capable of taking 3-400 degree pans out of the oven barehanded. He just couldn't feel it, but his skin was still burning a bit. Apparently he used to just dunk his bare hands in vats of sulfuric acid in such to grab parts, then wipe them off. According to him, this is possible, not gonna try for myself.

His hands also looked horrible, prefer to avoid that in old age if I can personally.

RE: The glove thread. - charmalu - 08-23-2011

Not many girls like sand paper hands on their soft lushus titties.

Big Grin

Charlie

(08-23-2011, 10:57 AM)charmalu Not many girls like sand paper hands on their soft lushus titties.

Big Grin

Charlie

That is why I use lotion on my thumbs and index fingersBig Grin

RE: The glove thread. - JB3 - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 10:57 AM)charmalu Not many girls like sand paper hands on their soft lushus titties.

Big Grin

Charlie

They may enjoy the sensation of 220 grit, but 80 grit would be too rough, plus at that point, you might be taking material off with each pass

RE: The glove thread. - Captain America - 08-23-2011

Rudolf has the idea!

RE: The glove thread. - winmutt - 08-23-2011

(08-21-2011, 09:21 PM)98taco3 i use these. Get em from the local napa and havent had a problem with them breaking. Usually one pair per repair lol

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-5037-sas-safety-corp-66519.aspx

I will give them a shot.

RE: The glove thread. - winmutt - 08-23-2011

(08-23-2011, 07:15 AM)Rudolf_Diesel My kids alway get a kick out of how tough my hands are and how much heat I can tolerate when holding something "hot" to the average person.

There is a guy at the local sushi place that puts his hands in the fryer to turn the tempura.Confused

(08-23-2011, 02:44 PM)winmutt
(08-23-2011, 07:15 AM)Rudolf_Diesel My kids alway get a kick out of how tough my hands are and how much heat I can tolerate when holding something "hot" to the average person.

There is a guy at the local sushi place that puts his hands in the fryer to turn the tempura.Confused

If you wet them with water you can do it really quickly - MYTHBUSTER Episode.

RE: The glove thread. - winmutt - 07-30-2013

Reviving old thread. I picked up a pair of "thickster" latex gloves at napa. $20 for a box of 50 BUT they are 14ml and are by far the best glove I've ever used. Looking online you can get em for 12 + shipping....

RE: The glove thread. - w123love - 07-31-2013

Microflex Dura Flock

These bad boys have been my favorite lately at work. I can use them for about three days of hard work, and I only throw them away because they are a little wet inside. 8 Mil, the same ones that Kent Bergs sells on BenzSource.

RE: The glove thread. - raysorenson - 07-31-2013

I use the thick nitrile ones from Harbor Freight in the winter. In the summer I have to do without because of the sweat. The textile gloves do breathe but they're too much maintenance and hold dirt/grease too well.

RE: The glove thread. - Greazzer - 07-31-2013

HF has black ones which are super thick. I am thinking 6mil or thicker. I have never torn one. When I was last there, they only came in one size, which is a little too small for me, but when you put them on, you have super feel for the finer things and they will never tear. They hold up for over an hour of wrenching and no problems. On sale and with the 20% coupon, they come out to around $10 bucks for a box. The thin blue ones tear in seconds if not careful. The only problem is the sweat which accumalates.

RE: The glove thread. - Simpler=Better - 07-31-2013

Buy a thing of baby powder, and shoot a little into the gloves first. It makes them go on really easily, and helps with the sweaty hand syndrome. Also helps to keep the grease away when you accidentally tear them open on those damn injector line clips.

I have the sandpaper hands too...even though I'm going soft having a desk job now. When helping out with making caramel corn I impressed the Wifey with my callouses. Apparently normal people can't pick up the globs of semi-molten caramel without getting burns :p

RE: The glove thread. - willbhere4u - 07-31-2013

I cant stand gloves I always sweet in them in like 2-3 minuets I always go bare back I don't mind STD's .... super turbo diesels

I just get really good soap at worst some brake clean and lotion when I'm done

RE: The glove thread. - MFSuper90 - 08-02-2013

Hate gloves.
Most times I don't even use gloves when welding, unless I am welding ALOT, cause welder burn sucks major lemons

RE: The glove thread. - Simpler=Better - 08-02-2013

(08-02-2013, 07:40 PM)MFSuper90 Hate gloves.
Most times I don't even use gloves when welding, unless I am welding ALOT, cause welder burn sucks major lemons

The other day I thought I had warts or something on my hands.....finally realized that I've been collecting a lot of welding burns :p

RE: The glove thread. - poleshady - 08-03-2013

i only wear gloves if i have to be clean the next day at work, or if i have cuts on my hands, grease and brake fluid cant be good going straight into your body.

RE: The glove thread. - sassparilla_kid - 09-06-2013

So, does anybody wear driving gloves? I have some cashmere lined sheepskin gloves I wear sometimes when it gets cold out

RE: The glove thread. - winmutt - 09-06-2013

Absolutely, cashmere lambskin as soon as it gets below 50.

RE: The glove thread. - EmJay - 09-06-2013

my former supervisor's wife works as a hospice nurse. she frequently brings home expired nitrile gloves. I get a sack full of these on a bi-monthly basis and they work well for me.