STD
Roof questions - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Body Mods (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Roof questions (/showthread.php?tid=3154)

Roof questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-28-2011

So I have been thinking lately it would be nice to have some sort of a roof rack but I don't really care for any aftermarket rack I have ever seen (they all seem too large and ugly), so was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to cannibalize one from a TD or some sort of Volvo or something to have a more stock looking rack?

Also, it seems like it might be nice to have a sun roof so would it be at all easily possible to swap the whole roof section from my extra w123 that has a sun roof? Its an electric type roof so I would convert it to manual to simplify things

Thanks y'all!!

RE: Roof questions - w123love - 11-28-2011

I think going the route of putting a whole sun roof in is a pretty daunting task myself. I really think you would be better off (if you really desire a sunroof) is just getting a sunroof equipped sedan.
It is more rare to see a w123 without a sunroof than with.

RE: Roof questions - serverman777 - 11-28-2011

My old car (rice burner) had a after market flip up sun roof. It was quite nice and but I wasn't the one that installed it. It was on the car before I brought it. Here is the same one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRL-SFC-17-x32-NewPort-Sunroof-w-Universal-Trim-Ring-/180578902039?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a0b576017#ht_793wt_955
Installing a w123 sunroof into a w123 without seems almost impossible to be. If you do it I want to see pics Smile. Personal I would go with the flip up kit. There are kinda kool and dont leak! (at least mine didn't.)

RE: Roof questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-29-2011

Hmm I'll have to look into it a bit more, it was just a thought and if it does happen it would be a while off in the future. Any thoughts about the roof rack though? Im goin for something that would look like it oculd have been a stock or dealer option

RE: Roof questions - Oil Burner - 12-20-2011

(11-29-2011, 01:15 AM)sassparilla_kid Hmm I'll have to look into it a bit more, it was just a thought and if it does happen it would be a while off in the future. Any thoughts about the roof rack though? Im goin for something that would look like it oculd have been a stock or dealer option
Fabricate it out of normal 1/2" tubbing and then have it either powder coated Black or have it chrome that is my suggestion. Then it is exatly what you want. You can get really nice mounts from West marine or any kind of boat parts sells place!

RE: Roof questions - sassparilla_kid - 12-20-2011

(12-20-2011, 05:45 PM)Oil Burner
(11-29-2011, 01:15 AM)sassparilla_kid Hmm I'll have to look into it a bit more, it was just a thought and if it does happen it would be a while off in the future. Any thoughts about the roof rack though? Im goin for something that would look like it oculd have been a stock or dealer option
Fabricate it out of normal 1/2" tubbing and then have it either powder coated Black or have it chrome that is my suggestion. Then it is exatly what you want. You can get really nice mounts from West marine or any kind of boat parts sells place!

I'll have to look into this! There is a powder coating place about 2 miles from my house, and a west marine about 20 minutes away, so I'll have to take a trip down there and see what they have and pick up a new catalog

Edit: I think I might try drawing something up in solidworks first and then post pictures here to get more opinions about it

RE: Roof questions - Oil Burner - 12-20-2011

(12-20-2011, 06:39 PM)sassparilla_kid
(12-20-2011, 05:45 PM)Oil Burner

I'll have to look into this! There is a powder coating place about 2 miles from my house, and a west marine about 20 minutes away, so I'll have to take a trip down there and see what they have and pick up a new catalog

Edit: I think I might try drawing something up in solidworks first and then post pictures here to get more opinions about it

If you look on west marine website you can just buy 3/4" tubing and joints and this will not require any welding and it is all rivited or set screwes together I have used these parts for boats all the time and know of people using these on there hot rods or classics and they always come out nicely. A little on the pricey side but will never rust and is easy to put together with minimal tools!

RE: Roof questions - sassparilla_kid - 12-21-2011

Definitely gonna have to look into this then