STD
Myna + ... - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Myna + ... (/showthread.php?tid=3534)

Myna + ... - MTUPower - 04-11-2012

So I have little time, but I have a nice wagon. Help me take the next step with my engine; what would/could you do with $1000 in improvements to my wagon? Help me spend it with your ideas/fabrications/parts... specifically looking at the forced induction system. Highly doubtful I will go with a supercharger route so concentrate on a turbo and all that's involved. Think of what I already have and give suggestions on easy cheaper ways to improve it. If it's that easy do it yourself and sell the idea/actual articles to me....

RE: Myna + ... - sassparilla_kid - 04-12-2012

I would think turbo rebuild with a larger trim compressor wheel for more airflow at higher speeds. It seems that is the only thing other than getting a new turbo that you might be able to benefit from

RE: Myna + ... - MTUPower - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 02:35 AM)sassparilla_kid I would think turbo rebuild with a larger trim compressor wheel for more airflow at higher speeds. It seems that is the only thing other than getting a new turbo that you might be able to benefit from
Excellent idea. What are the positives/negatives out of that? More flow at high end but less at low? Where will I find a new wheel? What new wheel would you suggest?

RE: Myna + ... - led-panzer - 04-12-2012

I would say an HX30 or HY35/HE341. It's a T3 flange so there's no silly adaptor plate. Also a larger intercooler, perhaps an air to water behind the headlight ala bgkast. And if you upgrade the turbo I would get a 3 inch exhaust made, the stock exhaust gives a 2-3 psi restriction with a stock pump, which is probably more with the amount of fuel you have.

Turbo - $300
Intercooler - $100
Piping/misc - $100
Exhaust - $300

(04-12-2012, 07:00 AM)led-panzer I would say an HX30 or HY35/HE341. It's a T3 flange so there's no silly adaptor plate. Also a larger intercooler, perhaps an air to water behind the headlight ala bgkast. And if you upgrade the turbo I would get a 3 inch exhaust made, the stock exhaust gives a 2-3 psi restriction with a stock pump, which is probably more with the amount of fuel you have.

Turbo - $300
Intercooler - $100
Piping/misc - $100
Exhaust - $300
Like this one or this one? How much turbo lag would those have?

RE: Myna + ... - led-panzer - 04-12-2012

The first one but not the second.
With the HY35, it has a 9cm exhaust housing. Dieselboy uses that turbo and says it spools about 2800 rpm, but that's with stock elements. Should be less for you.
It's all about trade-offs, an HX30 has a 6cm exhaust housing which should spool around 2200-2400 but it will give you a little more backpressure in the upper rpms. Also has smaller compressor.
Anything would be better than stock.

Thank you Led-P. Please keep them coming folks...
What is the easiest way to install a bigger exhaust? Drop me some specifics- who makes a flex downpipe? What about an affordable alternative to exhaust/muffler shops which want to charge an arm and a leg for a system?
Who has a vnt set up they want to sell me that would do my pump and wagon right? I'd also like to get a H2O injection system to keep the inside clean- nothing super fancy.

RE: Myna + ... - sassparilla_kid - 04-13-2012

I can't imagine making a larger diameter exhaust system being too difficult, especially if you can get long pipe, then it would just be a matter of putting in a couple elbows and the flange to bolt to the turbo, and the rest could just be one loooong straight piece going right out the back of the car

RE: Myna + ... - Simpler=Better - 04-13-2012

My buddy has a HE351V kicking around, already has a mechanical actuator retrofitted to it....

RE: Myna + ... - MTUPower - 04-15-2012

(04-13-2012, 08:47 AM)Simpler=Better My buddy has a HE351V kicking around, already has a mechanical actuator retrofitted to it....

Will that fit in the engine bay? With a MA what else would be needed to control it? Is is not a bit too big? I'm not looking to make 400 HP.

RE: Myna + ... - JustPassinThru - 04-15-2012

I have a GT2256V I pulled last week from a 2002 Sprinter. Turns a little stiffly (i.e. doesn't spin freely) but there is neither axial nor side-to-side shaft play. Make me an offer.

RE: Myna + ... - MTUPower - 04-22-2012

sorry not interested in a project turbo...

RE: Myna + ... - winmutt - 04-23-2012

HX30W or HX35W. I also see the HE341's out there from time to time as well.

RE: Myna + ... - garage - 04-28-2012

Is it still a automatic?
Swap in a 4speed tranny from a 240d!

RE: Myna + ... - MTUPower - 04-29-2012

(04-28-2012, 10:33 AM)garage Is it still a automatic?
Swap in a 4speed tranny from a 240d!
I have no desire to install a manual tranny.