STD
BOW - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: BOW (/showthread.php?tid=4503)

BOW - ravenxm - 04-17-2013

hi people
i"m came from petrol world of tuning and its hard 4 me not to hear bow on my om605 engine
any ideas how can it work similar as in petrol engines>???

RE: BOW - Mark_M - 04-17-2013

dumb question time but what's BOW

RE: BOW - willbhere4u - 04-17-2013

blow off valve?

RE: BOW - Mark_M - 04-17-2013

I had thought of that right enough, best to check though.

RE: BOW - MFSuper90 - 04-17-2013

Yeah, I think he means BOV.
They are necessary in gas engines to blow off boost after you let out on the throttle.
Diesels have no need to blow off boost.

RE: BOW - mantahead - 04-18-2013

(04-17-2013, 04:42 PM)MFSuper90 Yeah, I think he means BOV.
They are necessary in gas engines to blow off boost after you let out on the throttle.
Diesels have no need to blow off boost.
yep, no butterfly on these diesels.

RE: BOW - MFSuper90 - 04-18-2013

Although some people do put them on diesels to keep their oversized chargers from surgeing when they let out on the throttle

RE: BOW - Simpler=Better - 04-18-2013

An open-air wastegate would be just as fun to listen to though Smile

RE: BOW - willbhere4u - 04-18-2013

It probably wouldn't do much performance wise.

But it would sound cool you would just need to find a throttle actuated vacuum switch. My old 1980 300sd had a vacuum switch that controlled vacuum to the transmission. IE full vacuum with no throttle and 0 vacuum at full throttle. On that car it was on top of the injection pump and hooked in to the linkage. It basically made vacuum act like it would on a gas engine with an open or closed throttle plate being that the diesel has a vacuum pump that is constant.

RE: BOW - MFSuper90 - 04-19-2013

(04-18-2013, 09:44 AM)willbhere4u It probably wouldn't do much performance wise.

But it would sound cool you would just need to find a throttle actuated vacuum switch. My old 1980 300sd had a vacuum switch that controlled vacuum to the transmission. IE full vacuum with no throttle and 0 vacuum at full throttle. On that car it was on top of the injection pump and hooked in to the linkage. It basically made vacuum act like it would on a gas engine with an open or closed throttle plate being that the diesel has a vacuum pump that is constant.

Wouldn't do anything performance wise besides save your turbo if your having severe bark or surge issues when you let out on the throttle.
They do sound cool though Big Grin

RE: BOW - willbhere4u - 04-19-2013

It still should not be nearly as bad as a gas car since there is no throttle plate getting slammed closed. unless the engine can loose all of its rpm very very quickly. It should just gently slow down as the rpm lowers as it looses back pressure from the exhaust.

I could see it being very useful if you where using compound turbos or supercharger turbo set up

RE: BOW - ravenxm - 04-20-2013

(04-19-2013, 10:36 AM)willbhere4u It still should not be nearly as bad as a gas car since there is no throttle plate getting slammed closed. unless the engine can loose all of its rpm very very quickly. It should just gently slow down as the rpm lowers as it looses back pressure from the exhaust.

I could see it being very useful if you where using compound turbos or supercharger turbo set up

IT'S USELESS cause youre loosing boost but the point to build it
on/off
cause i love the sound of BOV )))

RE: BOW - MFSuper90 - 04-21-2013

My buddies 5.9 cummins needs a BOV. His 66mm charger surges like CRAZY when he lets off the throttle. Slow or fast.