STD
Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 (/showthread.php?tid=4749)

Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - 97e300 - 07-21-2013

Is there any kind of way to add a turbo to the 606.912 engine on a 97 e300? I'm referring of course to ecu mods that would allow the computer to handle the extra induction, etc. Swap ecu from 962? While a ginormous holset hx35 would be amazing, I just want to be able to climb a mountain better. What are your thoughts, suggestions?

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - AlanMcR - 07-22-2013

The first thing to do is tune up what you have. Check the injection timing. Mine was off ~3 degrees. My (turbo) now revs more easily and has better top end power.

As far as adding as adding a turbo, light boost might be OK. The ECU has an ambient pressure sensor and (I think) a manifold pressure sensor. It could get upset if the intake pressure exceeded ambient.. Swapping ECUs would be difficult due to the DAS issues.

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - Purplecomputer - 07-22-2013

(07-21-2013, 01:43 AM)97e300 Is there any kind of way to add a turbo to the 606.912 engine on a 97 e300? I'm referring of course to ecu mods that would allow the computer to handle the extra induction, etc. Swap ecu from 962? While a ginormous holset hx35 would be amazing, I just want to be able to climb a mountain better. What are your thoughts, suggestions?

I added a turbo to a 616 and people always said you couldnt do it.

like the guy before me though, only a small amount of boost though. I dont do more then 10psi on my 240

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - Simpler=Better - 07-22-2013

EGT is your main concern, along with boost/exhaust pressure (I'm assuming the NA 606 has different internals than the turbo 606)

Grab an EGT gauge and start messing with it

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - AlanMcR - 07-23-2013

(07-22-2013, 10:30 AM)Purplecomputer I added a turbo to a 616 and people always said you couldnt do it.

like the guy before me though, only a small amount of boost though. I dont do more then 10psi on my 240

Totally different problem. The issue is the electronic controls.

BTW: The internals are different, lighter pistons and (I believe) hotter cams make for a faster and higher revving engine. Try to run too much fuel through it and you'll melt those pistons. Oh, and the exhaust valves have skinnier shafts.

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - yankneck696 - 07-23-2013

I was always under the impression that a NA 606 was good for 300 HP.
What about a mechanical pump & then add turbo?

Ed

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - barrote - 07-27-2013

(07-21-2013, 01:43 AM)97e300 Is there any kind of way to add a turbo to the 606.912 engine on a 97 e300? I'm referring of course to ecu mods that would allow the computer to handle the extra induction, etc. Swap ecu from 962? While a ginormous holset hx35 would be amazing, I just want to be able to climb a mountain better. What are your thoughts, suggestions?

hello , u can do that.
takes u time and a bit knowledge and tools.
1-get an exaust manifold with a stock turbo for 606, when buying this got to bring the oil feed line, and the oil exaust line, feed line is a metal pipe with nuts at the ends, exaust line is 3 aluminium parts that fit toguether.
2-get a exaust pipe suited for that turbo, or build one.
3-blow by piping got to be directed to turbo intake before the compressor.
4- got some means of piping the manifold under presure , manufacture it or get the intercooler with the parts.

when u got all that is necessary have to bring the oil to the turbo, and some drilling have to be done , i can direct u how to do that, or u go and see in other engine.

egr system is beter to switch it off.
regards .

RE: Is it possible at all to add turbo to 97 om606 - 97e300 - 07-30-2013

Quote:hello , u can do that.
takes u time and a bit knowledge and tools.
1-get an exaust manifold with a stock turbo for 606, when buying this got to bring the oil feed line, and the oil exaust line, feed line is a metal pipe with nuts at the ends, exaust line is 3 aluminium parts that fit toguether.
2-get a exaust pipe suited for that turbo, or build one.
3-blow by piping got to be directed to turbo intake before the compressor.
4- got some means of piping the manifold under presure , manufacture it or get the intercooler with the parts.

when u got all that is necessary have to bring the oil to the turbo, and some drilling have to be done , i can direct u how to do that, or u go and see in other engine.

egr system is beter to switch it off.
regards .

It would be awesome if you could give me the info on what to mod for turbo oiling. I have a kkk k26, you guys think that would be too much? Also about switching off egr. How can I do that?