STD
painting injection pump and other engine parts - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: painting injection pump and other engine parts (/showthread.php?tid=4793)

painting injection pump and other engine parts - lgreeley83 - 08-05-2013

Forgive and move if this may be in the wrong category...

I'm going to swap the IP. Wondering if painting it requires high temp paint? I'm getting goofy and want to start painting random stuff whenever I replace it. A silly color and a ridiculous number of clear coats.

Also how about intake manifold high temp or no?

I read valve cover doesn't require it. I threw some rustoleum on a spare and will install soon with a report.[/align]

Picture an LSD junky's dream. I know block, head, exhaust Mani, turbo all require high temp stuff.

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - Simpler=Better - 08-05-2013

I would use engine-rated paint on the intake manifold. It's going to get heat soaked being so close to the exhaust.

The IP gets hot but I doubt it would be insanely hot-the only heat sources would be conduction on the block and that tiny oil line.

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - MFSuper90 - 08-08-2013

They make engine paint. good up to like 300 degrees or something.
Regular paint turns goofy colors with heat from the engine. My grey painted head turned brownish grease color on my tractor. but that's also near the header.
Make sure you prime them and clean all the grease off, or the paint just peels off.

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - poleshady - 08-09-2013

ive used 2000 degree on exhaust manifold on a couple cars. and i think 1000 or 1500, on intake, with nice shiney silvery paint. it held up well.

i used regular spray paint, actually the hammerite stuff cause it helps hide flaws, on differnt things like air cleaner box, PS pump cover etc.

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - MFSuper90 - 08-10-2013

Ive tried using 2000 degree header paint on my header on my tractor and it just burns it off.

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - sassparilla_kid - 08-10-2013

I used bright red header paint on my exhaust and it has since turned yellow in a couple places

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - lgreeley83 - 08-10-2013

I out plain ol rustoleum on my valve cover and with a few days driving its still good. Didn't end up painting the IP

Out --- *put*

RE: painting injection pump and other engine parts - Mark_M - 08-11-2013

You can use normal car type paint on most of the engine. 2K is a favourite of custom car builders. Other than the headers and exhaust ports none of it should get over 90c and some of it a a bit less. The important part is preparation (no old oil allowed) and priming especially if the parts alloy where I would recommend a good etch primer. If you want headers to stay finished then ceramic coating them if your only long term finish. Wouldn't recommend painting the IP.