STD
OM617 Timing for Mileage - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: OM617 Timing for Mileage (/showthread.php?tid=5738)

OM617 Timing for Mileage - 85-300D - 07-22-2014

Just wondering what you guys have found for the best timing for mileage on a stock om617. On many older ford/chevy/dodge diesels I have found a number that works well. Haven't played with the 300D much. Just set it at 25* using the drip method for now.

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - MFSuper90 - 07-22-2014

Mine isn't stock, but seemed to pick up a couple mpg's being advanced a little past stock. I never drip it, just go by sound and feel.

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - 85-300D - 07-22-2014

(07-22-2014, 12:30 PM)MFSuper90 Mine isn't stock, but seemed to pick up a couple mpg's being advanced a little past stock. I never drip it, just go by sound and feel.

If you were scribe a line across the pump and housing, then advance the pump, do you know how far the lines would be apart? 1/8" for example?

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - MFSuper90 - 07-22-2014

It has a scribe on the housing and pump, and yes I would say that is probably close. My car is at the body shop currently so I cant go look for sure.
I would advance it even more, but I fear it not starting during our cold winters. If that becomes the case, I guess I will retard timing for winter time, and advance it during summer Big Grin

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - sassparilla_kid - 07-23-2014

I had a Mercedes mechanic tell me 26-27 was closer to stock but they didn't put that in the shop manuals because they wanted people to come in to get that kind of stuff done properly

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - Petar - 07-23-2014

What i don't get is why does advanced timing make it harder to start in the cold? It doesn't make sense. I know that VE pumps have a cold start device that advances the timing about 5 degrees i think for cold starts.

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - MFSuper90 - 07-24-2014

(07-23-2014, 11:26 AM)Petar What i don't get is why does advanced timing make it harder to start in the cold? It doesn't make sense. I know that VE pumps have a cold start device that advances the timing about 5 degrees i think for cold starts.

You make a very valid point Petar, and honestly don't know why. I just know from my past experiences that if you advance the timing it makes them harder to start in colder weather.

I am trying to piece it all together in my head how to explain it scientifically, but Im not sure.
So maybe someone smarter than I am can explain Smile

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - barrote - 07-25-2014

pressure, heat , volume. a small equation called pv/t. very simple explanation! ve has no advance for cold start, it seems to have. ve´s are meant for DI, diff advance mechanism, or need!!!
regards

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - mach4 - 07-27-2014

I don't have any specific data on timing for maximum mileage, but I'm quite convinced that it can have a significant effect. I just did the timing chain on my 617 installed in a 107. The chain had at least 270k miles on it so going with a new chain moved the timing 6 or more degrees. I haven't done a drip timing so I don't know what the actual timing is.

On the first tank of fuel following the chain replacement I noted a significant improvement monitoring the fuel gauge - I have a set of target number of miles for each tick on the gauge that allow me determine whether I'm at, above or below my target 30mpg. Where I would have expected 30 based on the driving profile, I got a measured 32.7 mpg. One tank does not make a conclusion, but half way through the second tank I'm way ahead of my target numbers so I'm very optimistic that around 7% increase will be where things settle out.

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - Petar - 07-27-2014

One idea i had was to modify the timing device in the chain sprocket.Grind out the stops for increased maximum advance and perhaps different springs for a more aggressive advance curve.
For instance if it normally advances 5 degrees at 3000 rpm with different springs it should advance 8 degrees.No idea where to get different springs from.Actually i have no idea if the springs in the timing device are removable ??

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - MFSuper90 - 07-28-2014

(07-27-2014, 05:49 PM)Petar One idea i had was to modify the timing device in the chain sprocket.Grind out the stops for increased maximum advance and perhaps different springs for a more aggressive advance curve.
For instance if it normally advances 5 degrees at 3000 rpm with different springs it should advance 8 degrees.No idea where to get different springs from. Actually i have no idea if the springs in the timing device are removable ??
They are removable, I found that out the hard way when I was younger. I was pulling a junk engine apart, when I pulled the IP gear off springs flew everywhere Tongue

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - Captain America - 08-01-2014

I just maxed my IP timing as far as it would go... No idea where it is... I roll coal everywhere and seems like im getting between 24-26 mpg

RE: OM617 Timing for Mileage - carlitosgy6 - 08-08-2014

Im running an stock ip with a kkk turbo, im running 27 degrees, on my winter trip to Chicago i saw 33mpg, is a ford ranger with a 5 speed