STD
300CD drive shaft - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 300CD drive shaft (/showthread.php?tid=6069)

300CD drive shaft - Torkey - 12-17-2014

I'm putting in a 4 speed manual (slope iron back style) into a '79 300CD chassis. Getting a custom shaft built will be $$$$. Would a stock drive shaft from a 240D with a manual 4 speed fit?

RE: 300CD drive shaft - sassparilla_kid - 12-17-2014

I doubt it would work but no knowing until you try it out, I think you're pretty much the first when it comes to swapping a manual into a Coupe

Stock 240D driveshaft would actually be way long, since they need to be shortened like 4" to fit into a regular 300D, I think the closest would be a driveshaft from a an automatic 300D, I'm not really sure what parts of the car are shorter on the coupes

RE: 300CD drive shaft - benzguy - 12-18-2014

I Did that swap and I tryed to use the DS from 300D automatic but it was 1 inch to short I was able to drive until I found right one

RE: 300CD drive shaft - Torkey - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 02:50 PM)benzguy I Did that swap and I tryed to use the DS from 300D automatic but it was 1 inch to short I was able to drive until I found right one

Which one turned out to be the correct one and what did you have to do to drive with the one that was too short?

RE: 300CD drive shaft - benzguy - 12-18-2014

I was lucky and found the corect one at my local pick a part from a 300CD Euro. I only drove the car for a week with the short DS I was afraid the DS will come off

RE: 300CD drive shaft - sassparilla_kid - 12-19-2014

In that case maybe a front driveshaft section from 300SD automatic would work? They might be a little bit longer, not sure if they use different size flanges or not

RE: 300CD drive shaft - capflya - 12-19-2014

Same size flanges and splines on the early SD's

RE: 300CD drive shaft - Torkey - 12-19-2014

I'm thinking the rear portion of the drive shaft is the same and it is the front piece that is shorter. Time to go to the salvage yard and take some measurements I guess.

RE: 300CD drive shaft - sassparilla_kid - 12-19-2014

I think the measurements to look at are from the differential to the center bearing and from the trans to center bearing

RE: 300CD drive shaft - w123love - 12-19-2014

After doing a manual swap myself, and all the research I did leading up to the swap, I have never heard of any bolt on solutions other than a drive shaft from a 300D that already had a manual. The only solutions are to find that drive shaft, or shorten it yourself. If you manage to find one that will work, you will have made a break through in the 617 world.

RE: 300CD drive shaft - Torkey - 01-10-2015

Wanted give an update on this. I was not able to find a driveshaft that would work.
I contacted South Bay Driveline and they are making a new front shaft for me.
So far they have been great to work with.
I'lll post the final results next week after I receive the driveline.

RE: 300CD drive shaft - Torkey - 01-14-2015

The driveshaft was delivered today and I'm really impressed with it and the quality of the work.
The turn around time was really quick too.
I highly recommend South Bay Driveline.

RE: 300CD drive shaft - DiseaselWeasel - 01-17-2015

And I bet it wasn't even overly expensive?

I too had a drive shaft made to spec for my C124 OM603 project. Fast, not pricey and a yoke rebuild was included!