STD
EGT gauge - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: EGT gauge (/showthread.php?tid=6242)

EGT gauge - Booster - 02-16-2015

Where does everyone get there egt gauges from? The gauges on there own seem to be seriously expensive? 

It's not something I want a crap knockoff, but I resent paying £100 up for a guage. 

RE: EGT gauge - barrote - 02-16-2015

buy from china, for that amount u can have boost, egt, oil temp.
Wink

RE: EGT gauge - Torkey - 02-16-2015

I use GlowShift Gauges.  Haven't had a problem with any of them. Here's a link to one currently on EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GLOWSHIFT-TINTED-SERIES-2400-PYROMETER-EXHAUST-TEMP-GAUGE-w-EGT-PROBE-/281576866505?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418f4a02c9&vxp=mtr

RE: EGT gauge - baldur - 02-16-2015

Buy any gauge but throw the probe that comes with the cheap ones in the bin, don't use it if you value your turbo.
Instead, buy a high quality probe from Omega or Labfacility and use that, they're all standard K-thermocouple probes. A quality probe doesn't come apart and ruin your turbine wheel.
I would suggest getting a gauge with peak recording abilities because the highest EGT is the number you're concerned about.

RE: EGT gauge - Petar - 02-17-2015

If only the China guys would make a nice looking VDO style gauge... Instead they are screaming red colors with dragon gauge signs, blue led illumination etc etc..  Confused
German made VDO gauges are the best looking for our cars IMHO but are pricey.I can find most of the gauges i need used, in good working order for little money EXCEPT EGT   Dodgy
VDO pyrometers are anywhere from 100-350 eur !!!! on ebay. 
OT is it possible to make new gauge faces for the China gauges ?? I just love black background with white numbers  Big Grin

RE: EGT gauge - Mr_Robs - 02-19-2015

These are the gauges i went with for my car. Two EGT and one boost gauge from PPE. Quality gauge with a good probe for $170 each (egt). Has a similar analog style to the VDO, very nice quality and LED white lighting.

[Image: IMG_0225.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0316.jpg]

RE: EGT gauge - baldur - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 05:25 AM)Mr_Robs These are the gauges i went with for my car. Two EGT and one boost gauge from PPE. Quality gauge with a good probe for $170 each (egt). Has a similar analog style to the VDO, very nice quality and LED white lighting.

Looks nice. The thermocouple also looks like a decent construction, that is it has no crimps inside the exhaust. Only remaining question about its quality is how well hermetically sealed it is. A common failure mode for an EGT probe is for water to seep into the probe through the cable causing the probe to blow up when the engine is started.
This is simple to test. just submerse the probe in water for a day and then heat it with a blow torch.

RE: EGT gauge - Booster - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 05:25 AM)Mr_Robs These are the gauges i went with for my car. Two EGT and one boost gauge from PPE. Quality gauge with a good probe for $170 each (egt). Has a similar analog style to the VDO, very nice quality and LED white lighting.

They look real nice, Is $170 though.... Could replace my engine for that here!! 

Could I put my Probe in the down pipe just after the exhaust housing? No risk if it fails then? I know its not as accurate but it will still give me a good idea??

Problem with measuring after the turbine is that you don't know how much the temperature drop across the turbine is. It depends on the turbine efficiency and compressor efficiency. It could be 100 degrees or it could be 300 degrees, it varies depending on boost and air flow.

RE: EGT gauge - Booster - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 10:47 AM)baldur Problem with measuring after the turbine is that you don't know how much the temperature drop across the turbine is. It depends on the turbine efficiency and compressor efficiency. It could be 100 degrees or it could be 300 degrees, it varies depending on boost and air flow.

Really as much as 300 degrees? 

If it was 100 I could just over read the gauge, but 300 really would be a bit pointless

Yes, I have measured it at 200 degrees C on a healthy engine operating rather efficiently at 15psi boost. It'd be higher than that at higher boost pressures or if there was a compressor problem for example.

RE: EGT gauge - TurboTim - 02-20-2015

Pressure drop means temp drop. I experienced this when after turbo. Though guage was broken since etg would just be higher at redline. Moved to preturbo and guage just seemed to come to life.

RE: EGT gauge - baldur - 02-20-2015

(02-20-2015, 08:05 AM)TurboTim Pressure drop means temp drop. I experienced this when after turbo. Though guage was broken since etg would just be higher at redline. Moved to preturbo and guage just seemed to come to life.

Yes, expansion means a drop in temperature. However without knowing the turbine adiabatic efficiency, turbine shaft power and wastegate flow you cannot calculate the turbine inlet temperature from the downpipe temperature.

RE: EGT gauge - Dark Hawk - 03-03-2016

Can anyone post the luck they are having with the egt gauges they are using and what the paid for them?

RE: EGT gauge - 50harleyrider - 03-03-2016

I run a McNally combo needle boost and digital EGT. Also a bit pricey ($250) but it's the best out there. If you want accuracy, avoid the Chinese ones.  You get what you pay for. Don't even try to save money on EGT. It and boost are the heart of tuning a diesel. Mount it as close to the turbo (upstream of course) as possible to give the average temp. of all cylinders.
Kerma sells them:
http://www.kermatdi.com/mcnally-boost-egt-gauge-combo-kit/

RE: EGT gauge - whipplem104 - 03-03-2016

Just fyi to you guys. At a couple of egts and pressure sensor gauges etc. You are starting to get close to having a touch screen datalogger. I use PCS D200 loggers and opt out sensors for the project. The base price on the logger is 800.00 and egt sensors with a bung are 125.00 for a single channel and if you opt for more than a couple you can get an 8 channel egt module for 380.00 and then sensors and bungs are 60-70 each. But then you have datalogging, configurable touch screen disiplay. And many options for other sensors. 8 fully configurable analog inputs. 2 speed inputs and 2 3d pwm outputs. There are many other add on options as well. Boost control, GPS, Accelerometer. It is a good bang for buch display and logger though.
I will have a couple of kits in this week and take some snap shots. We are using this on the w124 I am building.

RE: EGT gauge - raysorenson - 03-03-2016

The Auber Instruments digital gauges are cheap and full featured. Max recall, programmable alarm threshold. They have a good selection of thermocouple probes and bungs too.

RE: EGT gauge - Dark Hawk - 03-03-2016

Thanks for the responses, I like the suggestion for the amber instruments gauge. From what I've read so far they seem pretty good. Others mentioned are probably pretty good but I don't feel comfortable pay 150-300 for a gauge on a 500 car.

RE: EGT gauge - MFSuper90 - 03-04-2016

I have glowshift 3in1 and it acts up sometimes, but I unplug it and plug it back in and it's fine. I really like the auber gauges tho

RE: EGT gauge - Simpler=Better - 03-04-2016

I ran the $60 auber EGT gauge with a $15 K type 1/4-20 thermocouple. It was A-OK, rock solid, and I never melted anything.

A gauge reads the voltage from a thermocouple, and then converts it into digits on a display. We're not talking about rocket appliances here. The components probably only cost $25 wholesale, so a $300 gauge isn't going to be very different functionally than a $60 gauge.

The thermocouple goes matter though-so make sure you get a half decent one. Just eyeball it, if it doesn't look like it belongs in an industrial setting it's the wrong thermocouple.

RE: EGT gauge - Duncansport - 03-04-2016

(03-04-2016, 06:51 AM)MFSuper90 I have glowshift 3in1 and it acts up sometimes, but I unplug it and plug it back in and it's fine. I really like the auber gauges tho

Yeah me too, im going to tear it out and smash it as it's a huge pile of shit.

I agree Duncan. For my tractors I use autometer 3647 because they have peak recall.

RE: EGT gauge - mach4 - 03-04-2016

The I read EGTs (also called TIT) as part of my comprehensive EDMS - Engine Data Monitoring System. I collect data with an Arduino and then send the data over Bluetooth to an Android tablet mounted in the steering wheel horn pad. I monitor fuel pressure, EGT, transmission temperature, intake temperature, engine elapsed time (Hobbs), vacuum, boost, oil temperature, engine bay temperature and volts (and soon, amps).

[Image: 133002d1446754620-engine-instrumentation...dms-04.jpg]

I have half a dozen different screens but my default one is:

[Image: 130306d1435192392-engine-instrumentation...creen2.jpg]

Of course my most unique one is 

[Image: 133728d1450069282-engine-instrumentation...ckup-1.jpg]

And to help prevent theft, I have my special "cloaking device"

[Image: 133040d1447028961-engine-instrumentation...-image.jpg]

RE: EGT gauge - whipplem104 - 03-04-2016

I love the steering wheel. Especially the Star.

RE: EGT gauge - Deplore - 03-04-2016

What brand of thermocouple do you guys recommend then? From what I understand here, a good quality thermocouple is more important than a fleabay gauge?

What about aircraft EGT gauges? Can I buy a decent thermocouple, and then connect them to aircraft gauges? I love their look, and despise the flashy, in your face EGT ebay gauges.

Something like this

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OFYAAOSwUuFW0jUF/s-l1600.jpg

Perhaps not with EGT that high, but the looks.

ebay link if anyone is curious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcor-Aircraft-Exhaust-Gas-Temperature-EGT-Gauge-/172116375315?hash=item2812ef7713:g:OFYAAOSwUuFW0jUF&vxp=mtr

(03-04-2016, 12:40 PM)mach4 The I read EGTs (also called TIT) as part of my comprehensive EDMS - Engine Data Monitoring System. I collect data with an Arduino and then send the data over Bluetooth to an Android tablet mounted in the steering wheel horn pad. I monitor fuel pressure, EGT, transmission temperature, intake temperature, engine elapsed time (Hobbs), vacuum, boost, oil temperature, engine bay temperature and volts (and soon, amps).

[Image: 133002d1446754620-engine-instrumentation...dms-04.jpg]

I have half a dozen different screens but my default one is:

[Image: 130306d1435192392-engine-instrumentation...creen2.jpg]

Of course my most unique one is 

[Image: 133728d1450069282-engine-instrumentation...ckup-1.jpg]

And to help prevent theft, I have my special "cloaking device"

[Image: 133040d1447028961-engine-instrumentation...-image.jpg]

This is so badass, I wish I knew enough to do all of this.

RE: EGT gauge - mach4 - 03-04-2016

(03-04-2016, 05:48 PM)Deplore What brand of thermocouple do you guys recommend then? From what I understand here, a good quality thermocouple is more important than a fleabay gauge?

What about aircraft EGT gauges? Can I buy a decent thermocouple, and then connect them to aircraft gauges? I love their look, and despise the flashy, in your face EGT ebay gauges.

The standard thermocouple for EGT gauges is a k-type thermocouple. You can mix and match pretty much at will. As an example, I'm using a cheap Chinese thermocouple, a thermocouple amp from Adafruit and reading the voltage from that with the Arduino and doing the conversion from there.

RE: EGT gauge - Deplore - 03-05-2016

Any EGT gauge can use K type? aircraft EGT gauge included?

I see some gauge have 4 connectors. I assume two of them is power/ground, the other two is for the two wire from the k type thermocoupler.

Some aircraft gauges, on other hand, have 3 connectors. Some have 5. Very few have the required 4.

RE: EGT gauge - barrote - 03-05-2016

aircraft thermocouples imployed by "turbomeca" "rols royce" " wiliams international" are suitable to most of this chineze gauges, weather to say K type. They do have a conformization box (circuitry)!!! thats why sometimes u can see the more than 2 wires... and many aplications they must offer insulation to electromagnetic inductance so need to be shilded thence the 3rd conector wich is just grownd...
nothing like try...

RE: EGT gauge - DiseaselWeasel - 03-05-2016

Is a gauge that reads 1000°C enough for a souped-up diesel engine?

RE: EGT gauge - Simpler=Better - 03-05-2016

Well, aluminium melts at like 700*C so I'd say yes

RE: EGT gauge - Dark Hawk - 03-05-2016

(03-05-2016, 12:29 PM)DiseaselWeasel Is a gauge that reads 1000°C enough for a souped-up diesel engine?

Oh ya, that's plenty

RE: EGT gauge - MFSuper90 - 03-05-2016

If any engine gets over 1800F you can pretty much kiss your Pistons goodbye.

I say that, but my uncle ran his 354 Perkins pulling tractor at 1800F for 20 years and only melted Pistons once, every engine is different

RE: EGT gauge - Sultzi - 03-06-2016

I bought speedhut egt gauge for my dailydriver upgrade, does someone have experience with it? Reason why is I have 3 other speedhut gauges already, so all are the same kind.
http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM-EGT-01/1/EGT-Temp-Gauge-100-900C-Metric-%28w--warning%29

And I have MGL Avionics gauge in my Ford Cortina, it's four channel EGT/CHT gauge, should be accurate and easy to use. Also avaible as 12channel version too.
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/infinity.html#TC-1