STD
Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? (/showthread.php?tid=7177)

Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - charlysays - 04-24-2016

Can anyone recommend an oil feed drain kit that has worked well for them?

Ebay is full of chinese made kits with braided hoses.

Whilst I am using a chinese turbo (which at the very least will be balanced next week by turbocharger services and with any luck rebuilt with garret bearings and seals), my experiences with cheap hose are not good.

I'm using a Garrett GT2871 journal bearing copy.

Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere UK based who can make up the hoses to order for a reasonable price, or if the china specials are actually OK.

Cheers

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - JVance - 04-24-2016

Since the turbo is going to the shop, have those folks identify the thread pitch on the oil inlet (maybe 1/8" NPT), and supply an adapter for the oil outlet (probably 1/2" NPT).

Find your local hydraulic/hose shop. Bring them the oil feed and drain hardlines from your engine. They can match the fitting for the oil feed, and make you a -3AN hose (you'll need a -3 AN -to- 1/8" NPT fitting at the CHRA...they should have these on the shelf). For the oil drain, they can likely adapt something to the base of the drain where it bolts up so that you can use a -10 AN hose; then use a -10an -to- 1/2" NPT fitting with the bolt-on adapter at the CHRA.

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - charlysays - 04-25-2016

Cheers mate, you've given me a plan of action ☺

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - Hario' - 04-25-2016

You can cut the fitting off the aluminium oil drain fitting in the side of the block and file it down a bit and slip over 3/4" hydraulic hose for a cheap oil drain. With the above mentioned CHRA fitting required of course.

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - bricktron - 05-01-2016

sorry, what is CHRA?

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - JVance - 05-01-2016

Center Housing Rotating Assembly.

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - Hario' - 05-04-2016

(05-01-2016, 12:01 PM)bricktron sorry, what is CHRA?

I'll take a picture for you of how I did what I described above on the weekend.

RE: Turbo oil feed and drain... universal kits? - charlysays - 05-05-2016

(05-04-2016, 06:53 AM)Hario
(05-01-2016, 12:01 PM)bricktron sorry, what is CHRA?

I'll take a picture for you of how I did what I described above on the weekend.

Cheers man Smile
There's a place about 15 miles away which makes hydraulic hoses so I'll get some stainless braided ones made up.

Turbo came back from Turbocharger Services yesterday, so once I've got the housings clocked right it'll be time to tack up the manifold adapter soon.
Rebuild went without hitch and they were fairly impressed with the china charger, so it looks like the Maxpeedingrods GT2871 should be a good reliable easily obtained upgrade turbo for use with the stock I.P and a re-map, up to 1.5 bar (though they said they could fit a 360 degree thrust bearing to run above 1.5 bar). I had decent bearings and seals fitted and it balanced on their nice machine.