606 swap into GD300

606 swap into GD300

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tinker
Naturally-aspirated

03-04-2010, 01:19 PM #1
Hi all

Big project here and lots of questions,

I am hoping to avoid some pitfalls by asking here first.

I am installing a 606T from a1999 E300 into a1983 GD300 (Gwagon)

The truck started with 617 and now has a dead 603 (1987) in it.

The plan is to swap the mechanical IP from the 603 onto the 606 and hopefully run the thing without the EDS.

List of issues:

1. The throttle linkage hits the 606's oil filter housing. I have seen the 603's filter swapped over (thanks Flash) and it fits with a little grinding of the intake manifold. Is this the best way to go? Is there a linkage from another app. that will work? We don't need cruise control?

2. I will be closing off the EGR and plan on using the 606's turbo with a simple mechanical boost control. Any recommendations ?

3. The AC compressor from the E300 hits the steering box. With the bracket and compressor from the 603 it fits in but the bracket has an idler pulley and I am not sure what length theserpentine belt will end up and if I can find one.

4. I will use thermo switches and relays to control the cooling fans, Is there anything
else that eliminating the EDS will leave inoperable? I hope to have all the original gauges working.

5. I am not sure about the tack wiring, The engine in there now has a pickup on the pulley with a 3 pin connector, the 606 uses a pickup on the flywheel that has a coaxial two wire plug. Any thoughts here?

6.I think I will lose the open throttle cut out for the AC but this shouldn't be a problem.

7. What is a good location for the EGT sender in the 606's exhaust manifold? Is there a probe that people recommend?

Any thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danny
tinker
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM #1

Hi all

Big project here and lots of questions,

I am hoping to avoid some pitfalls by asking here first.

I am installing a 606T from a1999 E300 into a1983 GD300 (Gwagon)

The truck started with 617 and now has a dead 603 (1987) in it.

The plan is to swap the mechanical IP from the 603 onto the 606 and hopefully run the thing without the EDS.

List of issues:

1. The throttle linkage hits the 606's oil filter housing. I have seen the 603's filter swapped over (thanks Flash) and it fits with a little grinding of the intake manifold. Is this the best way to go? Is there a linkage from another app. that will work? We don't need cruise control?

2. I will be closing off the EGR and plan on using the 606's turbo with a simple mechanical boost control. Any recommendations ?

3. The AC compressor from the E300 hits the steering box. With the bracket and compressor from the 603 it fits in but the bracket has an idler pulley and I am not sure what length theserpentine belt will end up and if I can find one.

4. I will use thermo switches and relays to control the cooling fans, Is there anything
else that eliminating the EDS will leave inoperable? I hope to have all the original gauges working.

5. I am not sure about the tack wiring, The engine in there now has a pickup on the pulley with a 3 pin connector, the 606 uses a pickup on the flywheel that has a coaxial two wire plug. Any thoughts here?

6.I think I will lose the open throttle cut out for the AC but this shouldn't be a problem.

7. What is a good location for the EGT sender in the 606's exhaust manifold? Is there a probe that people recommend?

Any thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

Syncro_G
0-60 in 29 sec

03-04-2010, 06:55 PM #2
Hi Danny,
Good questions! I've been talking with Jeff and Seth about it -- I'm close by and curious - I'm hoping to stop by to take a look at the progress.

Have you tried posting this on the P3 gwagen forum? There's a handful of guys who've done this swap from the 603 to 606 in the 460 Gwagen who might have good answers to the questions on parts fitment (#1, #3).

-Christian

oops, just saw you did post on p3.
This post was last modified: 03-04-2010, 11:32 PM by Syncro_G.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

Syncro_G
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM #2

Hi Danny,
Good questions! I've been talking with Jeff and Seth about it -- I'm close by and curious - I'm hoping to stop by to take a look at the progress.

Have you tried posting this on the P3 gwagen forum? There's a handful of guys who've done this swap from the 603 to 606 in the 460 Gwagen who might have good answers to the questions on parts fitment (#1, #3).

-Christian

oops, just saw you did post on p3.

-------------
'84 G-Wagen turbodiesel
'75 240D 4-Speed

tinker
Naturally-aspirated

03-05-2010, 01:56 PM #3
Hi Christian
Yes I did post over On P3 getting a little discussion going.
I have had the engine in to see fitment, it is back on the stand now for modifications.
You are most welcome to come by. Call first
Danny
tinker
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM #3

Hi Christian
Yes I did post over On P3 getting a little discussion going.
I have had the engine in to see fitment, it is back on the stand now for modifications.
You are most welcome to come by. Call first
Danny

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average