STD Tuning Engine 1979 240D Throttle Linkage Replacement - Need Suggestions

1979 240D Throttle Linkage Replacement - Need Suggestions

1979 240D Throttle Linkage Replacement - Need Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m002922
Naturally-aspirated

04-08-2010, 08:10 AM #1
Gentlemen,
Have spent the last three days working on the 240D turbo in the spirit of Graminal and Bio240D - things have gone fairly smooth in the conversion thanks to everything I've gathered from this site. The one hang up / law of unintended consequences is . . .

The 1979 240D routes the throttle assembly over to the right hand side of the engine and then up and over the valve cover to the injection pump (my brother's theory is that this is a remnant from when throttle bodies and such were over on that side of the engine - but just a guess). The issue is, that assembly cannot operate freely with the 300TD adaptor / manifold design that Bio240D came up with. My question is - what are my options for a linkage that stays on the left hand side, preferably without having to change the valve cover due to mounting points (but I will change it to whatever is required if I have to)? From my research with the manual I have (240D specific) - it looks like a 1980 or 1981, 123 model with a 616 engine and an MW injection pump will work - but the real key is the longitudinal regulating shaft, which means it stays on the left side of the engine - so I am guessing 300D and 300TD linkages would be possible also? I am hoping that is true because that would expand the part pool. What am I missing? Am I missing the forest for the trees?

Does anyone have these parts or know someone who would?

I can post JPGs of the manual shots of the linkages if that would help someone compare it to what they know about 300's.

Dan
m002922
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM #1

Gentlemen,
Have spent the last three days working on the 240D turbo in the spirit of Graminal and Bio240D - things have gone fairly smooth in the conversion thanks to everything I've gathered from this site. The one hang up / law of unintended consequences is . . .

The 1979 240D routes the throttle assembly over to the right hand side of the engine and then up and over the valve cover to the injection pump (my brother's theory is that this is a remnant from when throttle bodies and such were over on that side of the engine - but just a guess). The issue is, that assembly cannot operate freely with the 300TD adaptor / manifold design that Bio240D came up with. My question is - what are my options for a linkage that stays on the left hand side, preferably without having to change the valve cover due to mounting points (but I will change it to whatever is required if I have to)? From my research with the manual I have (240D specific) - it looks like a 1980 or 1981, 123 model with a 616 engine and an MW injection pump will work - but the real key is the longitudinal regulating shaft, which means it stays on the left side of the engine - so I am guessing 300D and 300TD linkages would be possible also? I am hoping that is true because that would expand the part pool. What am I missing? Am I missing the forest for the trees?

Does anyone have these parts or know someone who would?

I can post JPGs of the manual shots of the linkages if that would help someone compare it to what they know about 300's.

Dan

aaa
GT2256V

04-08-2010, 05:45 PM #2
Is it automatic?

And it should be easy to swap another linkage over, I assume your valvecover has the same 4 bolt holes on it.
aaa
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM #2

Is it automatic?

And it should be easy to swap another linkage over, I assume your valvecover has the same 4 bolt holes on it.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-08-2010, 06:02 PM #3
The valvecover is the same across production. You might have to drill some mounting holes in the firewall like I did, but mine was the later left side linkage style.
This post was last modified: 04-08-2010, 06:03 PM by ForcedInduction.
Attached Files
Image(s)

ForcedInduction
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM #3

The valvecover is the same across production. You might have to drill some mounting holes in the firewall like I did, but mine was the later left side linkage style.

Attached Files
Image(s)

m002922
Naturally-aspirated

04-08-2010, 09:42 PM #4
Its a four speed.

Sounds like I'm on the right track looking for those late model linkages - good to know that the valve covers are the same across production - that simplifies the issue.

Got everything back together today and running (but no turbo due to the linkage issue) - but I must have done something to the linkage because I don't seem to be getting as much throttle response / travel as before. I'll have to figure that out shortly.

Thanks again for the help.

(04-08-2010, 06:02 PM)ForcedInduction The valvecover is the same across production. You might have to drill some mounting holes in the firewall like I did, but mine was the later left side linkage style.
m002922
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM #4

Its a four speed.

Sounds like I'm on the right track looking for those late model linkages - good to know that the valve covers are the same across production - that simplifies the issue.

Got everything back together today and running (but no turbo due to the linkage issue) - but I must have done something to the linkage because I don't seem to be getting as much throttle response / travel as before. I'll have to figure that out shortly.

Thanks again for the help.

(04-08-2010, 06:02 PM)ForcedInduction The valvecover is the same across production. You might have to drill some mounting holes in the firewall like I did, but mine was the later left side linkage style.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-20-2010, 11:39 PM #5
m002922 On my last post you had a picture of your throttle linkage firewall interface. Thank you.

I was wondering how that piece works:

[Image: W01331617422OES.JPG]

Does the throttle pedal just drive a rod that pushes on the "ball' (which is essentially in the interior) that is part of this assembly, thus rotating it? I'm going to try and get a look at how mine (79) works from under the dash tonight. I'm worried about getting the two (external assembly, internal assembly) to interface correctly. Since I've never seen the later model (80+ assembly in person, its hard to envision how it works). Thanks in advance for any help,

Dan

Yes. The pedal pushes down on a lever which seesaws the other end up, that has a rod looped around a bushing that pushes up on the ball socket, the firewall bushing transfers vertical motion into rotational motion to twist the linkage and eventually push on the injection pump's lever.

They could have much more easily used a cable, imho.
This post was last modified: 04-20-2010, 11:41 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM #5

m002922 On my last post you had a picture of your throttle linkage firewall interface. Thank you.

I was wondering how that piece works:

[Image: W01331617422OES.JPG]

Does the throttle pedal just drive a rod that pushes on the "ball' (which is essentially in the interior) that is part of this assembly, thus rotating it? I'm going to try and get a look at how mine (79) works from under the dash tonight. I'm worried about getting the two (external assembly, internal assembly) to interface correctly. Since I've never seen the later model (80+ assembly in person, its hard to envision how it works). Thanks in advance for any help,

Dan

Yes. The pedal pushes down on a lever which seesaws the other end up, that has a rod looped around a bushing that pushes up on the ball socket, the firewall bushing transfers vertical motion into rotational motion to twist the linkage and eventually push on the injection pump's lever.

m002922
Naturally-aspirated

04-21-2010, 11:12 AM #6
Got it. Think I have a line on all the parts, so hopefully I'm on my way. The throttle cable comment you made is exactly what I thought when I saw the setup. Thanks.

(04-20-2010, 11:39 PM)ForcedInduction Yes. The pedal pushes down on a lever which seesaws the other end up, that has a rod looped around a bushing that pushes up on the ball socket, the firewall bushing transfers vertical motion into rotational motion to twist the linkage and eventually push on the injection pump's lever.

This post was last modified: 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM by ForcedInduction.
m002922
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM #6

Got it. Think I have a line on all the parts, so hopefully I'm on my way. The throttle cable comment you made is exactly what I thought when I saw the setup. Thanks.

(04-20-2010, 11:39 PM)ForcedInduction Yes. The pedal pushes down on a lever which seesaws the other end up, that has a rod looped around a bushing that pushes up on the ball socket, the firewall bushing transfers vertical motion into rotational motion to twist the linkage and eventually push on the injection pump's lever.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average