STD Tuning Engine OM.606 into W123..?

OM.606 into W123..?

OM.606 into W123..?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

04-11-2010, 11:24 AM #1
Just thinking out-loud as they say....

As the OM.617.95x turbo is unobtainium here in UK, and OM.606 Turbo are available, Reasonably easily--Could prolly buy a whole W210 300 Turbo D for a couple of hundred that has the usual rust....

What would be the requirements/parts to install one in a W123 chassis Wagon?
--Things like motor mounts, gearbox fitting and drive-shaft etc....

Any ideas?
Alastair E
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM #1

Just thinking out-loud as they say....

As the OM.617.95x turbo is unobtainium here in UK, and OM.606 Turbo are available, Reasonably easily--Could prolly buy a whole W210 300 Turbo D for a couple of hundred that has the usual rust....

Any ideas?

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

muuris
OM605

04-11-2010, 01:01 PM #3
(04-11-2010, 11:24 AM)Alastair E Just thinking out-loud as they say....

Any ideas?

Start making the conversion and you'll find out. In my OM606-E32 conversion I built the engine and gearbox mounts myself, cost about 5 euros., The driveshaft was done by a workshop for reasonable 80 euros (modifying E32 driveshaft for correct length, Merc gearbox flange and balancing). Of course all the wirings (not much), water hoses etc had to be fitted.

Of course, if some motor mounts fit straight away, then use them. But IMO better be ready to build the mounts -- if you can't build them, then better forget the whole conversion.

OM606 is 100x better than OM617, so go for it!
muuris
04-11-2010, 01:01 PM #3

(04-11-2010, 11:24 AM)Alastair E Just thinking out-loud as they say....

Any ideas?

Start making the conversion and you'll find out. In my OM606-E32 conversion I built the engine and gearbox mounts myself, cost about 5 euros., The driveshaft was done by a workshop for reasonable 80 euros (modifying E32 driveshaft for correct length, Merc gearbox flange and balancing). Of course all the wirings (not much), water hoses etc had to be fitted.

Of course, if some motor mounts fit straight away, then use them. But IMO better be ready to build the mounts -- if you can't build them, then better forget the whole conversion.

OM606 is 100x better than OM617, so go for it!

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

04-11-2010, 01:17 PM #4
On the suspected mounts I present my evidence for this...

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/w123...-1007.html
Kozuka
04-11-2010, 01:17 PM #4

On the suspected mounts I present my evidence for this...

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/w123...-1007.html

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

04-11-2010, 02:47 PM #5
Hmm, Interesting!

I know a M110, 280TE mount from a W123 will fit a OM.617, and for that matter the 615/6...

--In fact an OM.617 will directly replace an M110 in a W123, no alterations to gearbox or drive-shaft--its the same length from mount to box/bell flange, (Auto trans.)--Been There, Done That!
280's were fairly common in the UK, in all the body shapes, My W123 280TE to 300TD is getting there slowly....Wink

I have the skill and equipment to make up a mount, but it would be nice to find and maybe modify 'proper' ones, I'm quite keen on the 'Spacer' idea and using M.B. mounts, I'll have to see what I can find out...

I have a few spare mounts around the place, I think a trip to see Gary at MercTec and to a few breakers/bone-yards is called for to check 606/603 block/mount bolt spacings etc....

I'm not worried about wiring and plumbing etc, and I'm sure I can make up an exhaust system reasonably easily, Its just the drive-shaft, which I guess Bar-Prop can do and mounts really

Looks like I had better find a nice running OM.606 Turbo then...

Was one on fleagay for a few hundred, but Ive been caught buying an engine I hadnt seen run before--bloody thing was full of water!....

--Be nice for a bit more grunt and better economy, as I do a fair milage on the motorway every day...
I'm sure my boss thinks I'm selling half the fuel I claim each week, at 27MPG I dont think he believes that!....

--(I make BioDiesel as a job....)

(As if I didnt have enough projects!)
Alastair E
04-11-2010, 02:47 PM #5

Hmm, Interesting!

I know a M110, 280TE mount from a W123 will fit a OM.617, and for that matter the 615/6...

--In fact an OM.617 will directly replace an M110 in a W123, no alterations to gearbox or drive-shaft--its the same length from mount to box/bell flange, (Auto trans.)--Been There, Done That!
280's were fairly common in the UK, in all the body shapes, My W123 280TE to 300TD is getting there slowly....Wink

I have the skill and equipment to make up a mount, but it would be nice to find and maybe modify 'proper' ones, I'm quite keen on the 'Spacer' idea and using M.B. mounts, I'll have to see what I can find out...

I have a few spare mounts around the place, I think a trip to see Gary at MercTec and to a few breakers/bone-yards is called for to check 606/603 block/mount bolt spacings etc....

I'm not worried about wiring and plumbing etc, and I'm sure I can make up an exhaust system reasonably easily, Its just the drive-shaft, which I guess Bar-Prop can do and mounts really

Looks like I had better find a nice running OM.606 Turbo then...

Was one on fleagay for a few hundred, but Ive been caught buying an engine I hadnt seen run before--bloody thing was full of water!....

--Be nice for a bit more grunt and better economy, as I do a fair milage on the motorway every day...
I'm sure my boss thinks I'm selling half the fuel I claim each week, at 27MPG I dont think he believes that!....

--(I make BioDiesel as a job....)

(As if I didnt have enough projects!)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average