STD Maintenance General 617 Turbo into a Boat

617 Turbo into a Boat

617 Turbo into a Boat

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

polarisrmk
603 95' 124 WAGON

04-26-2010, 01:10 AM #1
Let me start off by saying my day job is as a boat mechanic and I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I have an old 17' Hydroswift with a good drive and no engine. The engine the boat came with was a 140 HP mercury 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder. My thought is that the 617 turbo has similar HP output but much more torque which would allow me to run a much more efficient higher pitch prop. Found a good motor at the pick and pull out of a 1983 300d and seems to be a good motor (it will turn by hand and feels just like my SD). I asked the people in the office if i could start the motor before i pull it they said no of course. I pulled the engine and took it home and it starts right up and runs wonderfully! Checked chain stretch and it was right on at 9deg atdc.

I have read many places and seen people mention doing this swap into a boat but no one has ever really ended up with anything (on a sterndrive that is). I have a boat and an engine so here we go.....

My thought is to use a manual flywheel out of a 240d and attach the splined coupler to the flywheel by drilling and tapping it so that it is center. Mercruiser has a very similar design where they drill and tap the GM manual flywheel and bolt the coupler too it. the next hurdle to get around is the bell housing/rear engine mount. I thought about using and modifying the bell housing that i already have from a GM v8 mercruiser engine and making some sort of adapter plate. My biggest worry is getting everything centered.

Another option I found was a company that makes a GM bell housing adapter and a GM Manual flywheel that my mercruiser coupler and bell housing would bolt right up to. This is about $1000 but trying to get in touch with the company to find out all the technical things.

Another problem is the tach. I am told that i can used the pick-up vr sensor on the front of the engine to control an mb tach amp and wire the mb tach amp to an aftermarket gauge.

What does everyone think.... Ready go!
polarisrmk
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM #1

Let me start off by saying my day job is as a boat mechanic and I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I have an old 17' Hydroswift with a good drive and no engine. The engine the boat came with was a 140 HP mercury 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder. My thought is that the 617 turbo has similar HP output but much more torque which would allow me to run a much more efficient higher pitch prop. Found a good motor at the pick and pull out of a 1983 300d and seems to be a good motor (it will turn by hand and feels just like my SD). I asked the people in the office if i could start the motor before i pull it they said no of course. I pulled the engine and took it home and it starts right up and runs wonderfully! Checked chain stretch and it was right on at 9deg atdc.

I have read many places and seen people mention doing this swap into a boat but no one has ever really ended up with anything (on a sterndrive that is). I have a boat and an engine so here we go.....

My thought is to use a manual flywheel out of a 240d and attach the splined coupler to the flywheel by drilling and tapping it so that it is center. Mercruiser has a very similar design where they drill and tap the GM manual flywheel and bolt the coupler too it. the next hurdle to get around is the bell housing/rear engine mount. I thought about using and modifying the bell housing that i already have from a GM v8 mercruiser engine and making some sort of adapter plate. My biggest worry is getting everything centered.

Another option I found was a company that makes a GM bell housing adapter and a GM Manual flywheel that my mercruiser coupler and bell housing would bolt right up to. This is about $1000 but trying to get in touch with the company to find out all the technical things.

Another problem is the tach. I am told that i can used the pick-up vr sensor on the front of the engine to control an mb tach amp and wire the mb tach amp to an aftermarket gauge.

What does everyone think.... Ready go!

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 01:17 AM #2
(04-26-2010, 01:10 AM)polarisrmk I have read many places and seen people mention doing this swap into a boat but no one has ever really ended up with anything (on a sterndrive that is). I have a boat and an engine so here we go.
There are many that have done it!
Attached Files
Image(s)

ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 01:17 AM #2

(04-26-2010, 01:10 AM)polarisrmk I have read many places and seen people mention doing this swap into a boat but no one has ever really ended up with anything (on a sterndrive that is). I have a boat and an engine so here we go.

Attached Files
Image(s)

polarisrmk
603 95' 124 WAGON

04-26-2010, 01:20 AM #3
(04-26-2010, 01:17 AM)ForcedInduction

very nice ... any of those sterndrives? I am can't really tell from those photos.
polarisrmk
04-26-2010, 01:20 AM #3

(04-26-2010, 01:17 AM)ForcedInduction

very nice ... any of those sterndrives? I am can't really tell from those photos.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 01:30 AM #4
The white OM617 powered boat uses a propeller shaft with an inboard gearbox. The others I don't know.

I don't see any reason why a stern drive couldn't work, its the same concept and mounting as an automotive transmission.
This post was last modified: 04-26-2010, 01:32 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM #4

The white OM617 powered boat uses a propeller shaft with an inboard gearbox. The others I don't know.

I don't see any reason why a stern drive couldn't work, its the same concept and mounting as an automotive transmission.

polarisrmk
603 95' 124 WAGON

04-26-2010, 01:44 AM #5
So far its been quite a project and I haven't even mocked up the engine in the boat yet... I have done all the rough measurements and it should fit very nicely with room to spare. I am using a heat exchanger to cool the engine instead of running raw water through the engine. I will be putting an air to water intercooler on it and post turbo cooled exhaust with wrapped turbo and exhaust manifold to keep the heat down in the engine compartment.

The tach and the bell housing are really my last two hurdles to get over before the engine actually goes into the boat.... I am currently painting the engine and putting it all back together and going to start the engine wire harness this week. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
polarisrmk
04-26-2010, 01:44 AM #5

So far its been quite a project and I haven't even mocked up the engine in the boat yet... I have done all the rough measurements and it should fit very nicely with room to spare. I am using a heat exchanger to cool the engine instead of running raw water through the engine. I will be putting an air to water intercooler on it and post turbo cooled exhaust with wrapped turbo and exhaust manifold to keep the heat down in the engine compartment.

The tach and the bell housing are really my last two hurdles to get over before the engine actually goes into the boat.... I am currently painting the engine and putting it all back together and going to start the engine wire harness this week. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ForcedInduction
Banned

04-26-2010, 01:54 AM #6
(04-26-2010, 01:44 AM)polarisrmk The tach and the bell housing are really my last two hurdles

For the tach contact Bob Myers (e-mail sent in PM), he can help you setup a system using the existing tachometer pickup.

For the transmission mounting you need an adapter plate. The factory plate unbolts from the engine block so making whatever you need is just a matter of doing it. Coupling the two drives seems to me the most difficult task. I don't know how a stern drive traditionally couples to an engine's crankshaft so I don't know what to suggest.
ForcedInduction
04-26-2010, 01:54 AM #6

(04-26-2010, 01:44 AM)polarisrmk The tach and the bell housing are really my last two hurdles

For the tach contact Bob Myers (e-mail sent in PM), he can help you setup a system using the existing tachometer pickup.

For the transmission mounting you need an adapter plate. The factory plate unbolts from the engine block so making whatever you need is just a matter of doing it. Coupling the two drives seems to me the most difficult task. I don't know how a stern drive traditionally couples to an engine's crankshaft so I don't know what to suggest.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average