STD Tuning Engine Holset HX 35

Holset HX 35

Holset HX 35

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silberpfeil
Slowly Sideways

08-08-2010, 12:21 AM #1
First post. I've finally gone past just being astonded at the knowledge base of this site and registered.

I was wondering if a stock Holset HX 35 would benefit my bone stock 617 or would I just have fuel starvation problems. I luckily have found someone who will custom bend an exhaust for cheap so I would at least run straight pipe back from the turbo outlet at whatever diameter that is.

I also plan on modifying VW 1.9 canadian injectors soon.

"Molly" Jan. '84 black/tan 300d 180k miles, two owner car
Silberpfeil
08-08-2010, 12:21 AM #1

First post. I've finally gone past just being astonded at the knowledge base of this site and registered.

I was wondering if a stock Holset HX 35 would benefit my bone stock 617 or would I just have fuel starvation problems. I luckily have found someone who will custom bend an exhaust for cheap so I would at least run straight pipe back from the turbo outlet at whatever diameter that is.

I also plan on modifying VW 1.9 canadian injectors soon.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

08-08-2010, 05:22 AM #2
Err....

Whats a 'Stock Holset HX35'....?

Turbos are generally set up for whatever they are meant to be attached to, so a HX35 off some big truck wont work right on a smaller OM.617.

There are loads of 'variables' that can be tailored for a specific use in a Turbo model range, and needs to be 'Matched' to the engine its used on, or just wont work right!

The Turbo will not directly affect the fuelling, so you'll not get 'starvation' as such, rather the IP will not deliver the EXTRA fuel that the new (Correctly Matched) turbo quantity of air will supply....

Tuning a Diesel isnt just bung a bigger turbo in there!--The IP will need alteration/modification for a fuelling Increase over Standard....

Is the OM.617 you plan to mod. a Turbo engine to start with?--If not, best bet would be source one, or stick to using a 'stock' Turbo from a .952 but limit boost to below 8PSI or the originally N/A engine wont last long....

Modifying Injectors wont give you much, if ANY power increase. The Finns who extract Huge HP out of the Later OM.606 use completely Standard Injectors more often than not!
--These IDi (Pre-chamber) engines are NOT like VW TDi engines that respond to nozzle changes....

The Injector is NOT the 'limiting' issue with these engines, so I personally would save the dosh and spend it on summit that does give more power....
This post was last modified: 08-08-2010, 05:26 AM by Alastair E.

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
08-08-2010, 05:22 AM #2

Err....

Whats a 'Stock Holset HX35'....?

Turbos are generally set up for whatever they are meant to be attached to, so a HX35 off some big truck wont work right on a smaller OM.617.

There are loads of 'variables' that can be tailored for a specific use in a Turbo model range, and needs to be 'Matched' to the engine its used on, or just wont work right!

The Turbo will not directly affect the fuelling, so you'll not get 'starvation' as such, rather the IP will not deliver the EXTRA fuel that the new (Correctly Matched) turbo quantity of air will supply....

Tuning a Diesel isnt just bung a bigger turbo in there!--The IP will need alteration/modification for a fuelling Increase over Standard....

Is the OM.617 you plan to mod. a Turbo engine to start with?--If not, best bet would be source one, or stick to using a 'stock' Turbo from a .952 but limit boost to below 8PSI or the originally N/A engine wont last long....

Modifying Injectors wont give you much, if ANY power increase. The Finns who extract Huge HP out of the Later OM.606 use completely Standard Injectors more often than not!
--These IDi (Pre-chamber) engines are NOT like VW TDi engines that respond to nozzle changes....

The Injector is NOT the 'limiting' issue with these engines, so I personally would save the dosh and spend it on summit that does give more power....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

ForcedInduction
Banned

08-08-2010, 05:56 AM #3
(08-08-2010, 12:21 AM)Silberpfeil I was wondering if a stock Holset HX 35 would benefit my bone stock 617
No. Holsets bigger than an HX30 are much too large for the engine, all they will do is surge.
ForcedInduction
08-08-2010, 05:56 AM #3

(08-08-2010, 12:21 AM)Silberpfeil I was wondering if a stock Holset HX 35 would benefit my bone stock 617
No. Holsets bigger than an HX30 are much too large for the engine, all they will do is surge.

Silberpfeil
Slowly Sideways

08-08-2010, 12:40 PM #4
(08-08-2010, 05:56 AM)ForcedInduction

Thanks for the help guys. Also, BTW ForcedInduction very much appreciated the VNT thread you started.

Silberpfeil
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM #4

(08-08-2010, 05:56 AM)ForcedInduction

Thanks for the help guys. Also, BTW ForcedInduction very much appreciated the VNT thread you started.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average