STD Other Pics and Videos Bonneville Speedweek!!

Bonneville Speedweek!!

Bonneville Speedweek!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

08-18-2010, 12:23 PM #1
Hey everyone! Every year, around the beginning of August, thousands of people make their way to the Bonneville Speedway for Speedweek. This year, I'm happy to say I'm here again!

There was a bit of work involved in getting the Pumpkin ready for the trip (isn't there always?), but always well worth it. Smile My dad and I swapped his 17's over to my car on last Monday night.

[attachment=3399]

I had the paint cleaned up and waxed the day my dad and I left (after this pic). I also ended up having to do an emergency repair to the trans output shaft flange before hitting the road. The nut holding the flange on had worked loose again, I ended up welding the stupid thing in place. Welded the nut to the shaft, welded the nut to the flange. Has held in place for the whole trip so far! Hasn't leaked yet either. Big Grin

So we drove from Auburn, WA to Wendover, UT in 12 hours and 15 minutes. We stopped once for road work on I90, once for food, then only stopped for changing drivers. We worked it out were we would switch every 2-3 hours; one drives while the other sleeps. The Flyin Pumkin got 30.5mpg between leaving Auburn and stopping for fuel just into Idaho. The rear diff and the taller rear tires on Dads 17's (235/55R17) got us a cruising speed of 75-80mph. With the better cruising speed we cut about 3 hours off of last years driving time of 15+ hours. Cool

Here are some pics of Bonneville this year. Here is the general info meeting, thanks to sponsers, and singing of our National Anthem (which was very well done, by the way!).

[attachment=3400]

My dad works on the starting line for Course #2, I hand out timing slips for courses #2 and #3. Here is my little outpost in the middle of the salt. The towel on the Pumpkin is keeping the sun off the seats and CB radio (required on the salt).

[attachment=3401]

Handing out time slips to people is great, I get to see all kinds of cool racers, and their cars. Here is a real nice roadster I got a pic of. Sorry, I didn't note what speed he ran.

Here is a bad ass Buick. These guys chopped to roof off, cut out most of the pillars, then welded the roof back on. No windows on the car at all (except windshield). They run a Buick Straight Eight. Here is the car and a shot of the engine with custom welded up intake manifold and headers exiting out the drivers fender!

[attachment=3403]

[attachment=3404]

They ran about 135mph and sadly blew the engine. Or, as the driver said, the car runs real quiet now. LOL

Its been sunny and clear all week. Day before yesterday we had 120F, yesterday we had 119F for temps. I'm putting on sunscreen about every 2-3 hours and drinking water like its going out of style! So thats about it for now. I have to head back out to the salt and get to work! Big Grin
This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM by Biohazard.

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 
Biohazard
08-18-2010, 12:23 PM #1

Hey everyone! Every year, around the beginning of August, thousands of people make their way to the Bonneville Speedway for Speedweek. This year, I'm happy to say I'm here again!

There was a bit of work involved in getting the Pumpkin ready for the trip (isn't there always?), but always well worth it. Smile My dad and I swapped his 17's over to my car on last Monday night.

[attachment=3399]

I had the paint cleaned up and waxed the day my dad and I left (after this pic). I also ended up having to do an emergency repair to the trans output shaft flange before hitting the road. The nut holding the flange on had worked loose again, I ended up welding the stupid thing in place. Welded the nut to the shaft, welded the nut to the flange. Has held in place for the whole trip so far! Hasn't leaked yet either. Big Grin

So we drove from Auburn, WA to Wendover, UT in 12 hours and 15 minutes. We stopped once for road work on I90, once for food, then only stopped for changing drivers. We worked it out were we would switch every 2-3 hours; one drives while the other sleeps. The Flyin Pumkin got 30.5mpg between leaving Auburn and stopping for fuel just into Idaho. The rear diff and the taller rear tires on Dads 17's (235/55R17) got us a cruising speed of 75-80mph. With the better cruising speed we cut about 3 hours off of last years driving time of 15+ hours. Cool

Here are some pics of Bonneville this year. Here is the general info meeting, thanks to sponsers, and singing of our National Anthem (which was very well done, by the way!).

[attachment=3400]

My dad works on the starting line for Course #2, I hand out timing slips for courses #2 and #3. Here is my little outpost in the middle of the salt. The towel on the Pumpkin is keeping the sun off the seats and CB radio (required on the salt).

[attachment=3401]

Handing out time slips to people is great, I get to see all kinds of cool racers, and their cars. Here is a real nice roadster I got a pic of. Sorry, I didn't note what speed he ran.

Here is a bad ass Buick. These guys chopped to roof off, cut out most of the pillars, then welded the roof back on. No windows on the car at all (except windshield). They run a Buick Straight Eight. Here is the car and a shot of the engine with custom welded up intake manifold and headers exiting out the drivers fender!

[attachment=3403]

[attachment=3404]

They ran about 135mph and sadly blew the engine. Or, as the driver said, the car runs real quiet now. LOL

Its been sunny and clear all week. Day before yesterday we had 120F, yesterday we had 119F for temps. I'm putting on sunscreen about every 2-3 hours and drinking water like its going out of style! So thats about it for now. I have to head back out to the salt and get to work! Big Grin

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

08-18-2010, 12:33 PM #2
That is pretty cool! That carb looks like it would ice up pretty bad sitting up there, maybe that is the effect they are looking for?

I always watch "The World's Fastest Indian", the story of Burt Munro and his adventures from New Zealand to Bonneville, when it comes on TV -makes me want to try it in my BenzBig Grin
This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM by Rudolf_Diesel.

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
08-18-2010, 12:33 PM #2

That is pretty cool! That carb looks like it would ice up pretty bad sitting up there, maybe that is the effect they are looking for?

I always watch "The World's Fastest Indian", the story of Burt Munro and his adventures from New Zealand to Bonneville, when it comes on TV -makes me want to try it in my BenzBig Grin

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-18-2010, 01:10 PM #3
Very cool indeed!

(08-18-2010, 12:33 PM)Rudolf_Diesel That is pretty cool! That carb looks like it would ice up pretty bad sitting up there, maybe that is the effect they are looking for?

You'd probly want to shave your beard for that... Blush
This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM by Captain America.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
08-18-2010, 01:10 PM #3

Very cool indeed!

(08-18-2010, 12:33 PM)Rudolf_Diesel That is pretty cool! That carb looks like it would ice up pretty bad sitting up there, maybe that is the effect they are looking for?

You'd probly want to shave your beard for that... Blush

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

ID240D
K26-2

08-18-2010, 09:49 PM #4
This is the first time in 4 years I have not made it down to the salt.Confused Thanks for the pics and glad you had a safe trip down....keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

Justin

1983 300D 246,000 with lots of goodies (Sasha)
1980 300TD 200K Third row seat

We live in a world that goes faster every day and it seems there's a lack of time for each one of us

ID240D
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM #4

This is the first time in 4 years I have not made it down to the salt.Confused Thanks for the pics and glad you had a safe trip down....keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

Justin

1983 300D 246,000 with lots of goodies (Sasha)
1980 300TD 200K Third row seat

We live in a world that goes faster every day and it seems there's a lack of time for each one of us

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

08-19-2010, 11:05 AM #5
We have today and tomorrow till the end of the meet...

Fastest time so far is 409+ mph from the Poteet and Main streamliner. They did that yesterday. Big Grin Had an RX7 put the shiney side down at 226+ mph yesterday also. He started to spin and the air caught him, flipped him right over.

As far as diesel stuff goes, most of the diesels out here are the push trucks and crew vehicles. There are a couple diesel streamliners out here, one is running a 4-71 Detroit. I didn't catch what the other one had. I saw the 4-71 car run, but something was off so they pulled off the course; wasn't going very fast at all.

We had a pretty good lightning storm yesterday, along with some wind and rain. The temps dropped to a very nice temp when it was raining. About an hour after it rained it was right back to hot hot hot with way too much humidity. The lightning had hit the salt too, caused some problems with time slips. This guy had a strike on the salt while he was running, gave him a pretty awesome top speed! Tongue

[attachment=3406]

I would LOVE to run my Benz out here. Just need a fully specd cage, fire suppression system, helmet, fire suit, gloves, boots, firesuit underwear, etc. Oh, and enough horsepower to get to 200mph... Big Grin Gonna need more fuel I think!

Thats probably all I'll be posting from out here till I get home. Sorry you didn't make it out this year, Justin. Hope you make it next year. I'm going to be putting in next years vacation request as soon as I'm back to work on Monday!

Biohazard
08-19-2010, 11:05 AM #5

We have today and tomorrow till the end of the meet...

Fastest time so far is 409+ mph from the Poteet and Main streamliner. They did that yesterday. Big Grin Had an RX7 put the shiney side down at 226+ mph yesterday also. He started to spin and the air caught him, flipped him right over.

As far as diesel stuff goes, most of the diesels out here are the push trucks and crew vehicles. There are a couple diesel streamliners out here, one is running a 4-71 Detroit. I didn't catch what the other one had. I saw the 4-71 car run, but something was off so they pulled off the course; wasn't going very fast at all.

We had a pretty good lightning storm yesterday, along with some wind and rain. The temps dropped to a very nice temp when it was raining. About an hour after it rained it was right back to hot hot hot with way too much humidity. The lightning had hit the salt too, caused some problems with time slips. This guy had a strike on the salt while he was running, gave him a pretty awesome top speed! Tongue

[attachment=3406]

I would LOVE to run my Benz out here. Just need a fully specd cage, fire suppression system, helmet, fire suit, gloves, boots, firesuit underwear, etc. Oh, and enough horsepower to get to 200mph... Big Grin Gonna need more fuel I think!

Thats probably all I'll be posting from out here till I get home. Sorry you didn't make it out this year, Justin. Hope you make it next year. I'm going to be putting in next years vacation request as soon as I'm back to work on Monday!

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

08-25-2010, 05:51 PM #6
Got back from Bonneville on Sat evening. Car was a cruising like a champ at 75-80! Bigger rear tires and 2.65 diff was a WORLD of difference. For the whole trip out and back, the Flyin Pumpkin got 30.1mpg!! Big Grin

The other diesel streamliner was powered by a 4BT, but they were having some problems with it and didn't get a good run. Last year they had a few problems also, one of the guys said it's ran 125mph so far.
Got to see an Enzo Ferrari spin at about 190mph, took him about a half mile to come to a stop. Nice car, was too bad he couldn't get it to stay straight.
Thats it for me. The trip was a great time, my dad and I are already signed up for next year!
Cheers!

Biohazard
08-25-2010, 05:51 PM #6

Got back from Bonneville on Sat evening. Car was a cruising like a champ at 75-80! Bigger rear tires and 2.65 diff was a WORLD of difference. For the whole trip out and back, the Flyin Pumpkin got 30.1mpg!! Big Grin

The other diesel streamliner was powered by a 4BT, but they were having some problems with it and didn't get a good run. Last year they had a few problems also, one of the guys said it's ran 125mph so far.
Got to see an Enzo Ferrari spin at about 190mph, took him about a half mile to come to a stop. Nice car, was too bad he couldn't get it to stay straight.
Thats it for me. The trip was a great time, my dad and I are already signed up for next year!
Cheers!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average