STD Tuning Drivetrain OM617 flywheel and pressure plate measurements needed.

OM617 flywheel and pressure plate measurements needed.

OM617 flywheel and pressure plate measurements needed.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300D50
Graphite Moderator, ala RBMK

10-01-2010, 07:50 PM #1
Been lurkeing since 09, was referred here by Rolf on the okiebenz mailing list after asking over there.

A little background, I'm shoe-horning an OM617 into a Mitsubishi MightyMax pickup with a V5MT1 5 speed transmission, and need a few measurements. It's currently mated to a Mitsubishi KM145 transmission in a Ram50(has severe frame rot, never made it to the road by the time the swap was finished...), but I can't justify pulling the engine just to get one measurement.

I've got most of what I need by probing out the V5MT1 clutch housing on the CMM and measuring off of a 616 i have in storage, but a few things are escaping me.

What I'm looking for is the mounting flange thickness of an OM61x manual flywheel, either from a 240D, 300D, or 300GD.
Based on the bolt lengths and the crank flange thickness on my dead-ish 616, it should be around 7-10mm.

Here's a screengrab with the needed dimension highlighted in red.
I have it at 7mm for a worst-case analysis guess right now.

[Image: flywheel_measurement.png]
Click through for a larger image.

Some of the dimensions are estimates, like the radius of the flywheel and the radius of the friction surface cavity, since those are currently irrelevant for the mock-up I'm doing. If this endeavor turns out to be feasible, which so far it seems to be, I'll be taking final measurements off my flywheel with the CMM to correct them.

The flange to friction surface and friction surface to pressure plate surface measurements shown are worst-case wear values from the engine FSM.

I've also been trying to find the automatic flywheel that came off the 617 to get a flange thickness comparison. It should be ~ 11mm thicker based on the difference in length between the automatic and manual flywheel bolts.
It's playing hard to find right now, so if anyone can get me that It would be appreciated.

Measurements should be made with either a set of dial calipers or a micrometer, either metric or imperial, as this will be going into a cad drawing that will be used to help create the adapter plate and crank spacer.

I'd also be interested in the finger to flywheel mating surface (not friction surface) measurements off of a 300D pressure plate if anyone has one handy. This can be a tape-measure/stick ruler measurement, as the hydraulic clutch should correct for any difference up to about a quarter inch, and I have ample travel based on my calculations.

This is what I have thus far. Not shown is the 617 block, the trans housing is incomplete, and there's no pressure plate. The Mitsubishi clutch was measured for this.

[Image: whole_shebang_cutaway_2.png]

Click through for a link back to the gallery with a few more screencaps/photo's/etc

The individual cad models will be released to the general public with a simple "don't say you made it if you didn't" style license once I have them finished.

Thanks in advance,

Walt

1990 Power Ram 50 V6 SOHC 24V 6g72

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.
My posts are my personal opinions and thoughts, unless otherwise noted.
300D50
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM #1

Been lurkeing since 09, was referred here by Rolf on the okiebenz mailing list after asking over there.

A little background, I'm shoe-horning an OM617 into a Mitsubishi MightyMax pickup with a V5MT1 5 speed transmission, and need a few measurements. It's currently mated to a Mitsubishi KM145 transmission in a Ram50(has severe frame rot, never made it to the road by the time the swap was finished...), but I can't justify pulling the engine just to get one measurement.

I've got most of what I need by probing out the V5MT1 clutch housing on the CMM and measuring off of a 616 i have in storage, but a few things are escaping me.

What I'm looking for is the mounting flange thickness of an OM61x manual flywheel, either from a 240D, 300D, or 300GD.
Based on the bolt lengths and the crank flange thickness on my dead-ish 616, it should be around 7-10mm.

Here's a screengrab with the needed dimension highlighted in red.
I have it at 7mm for a worst-case analysis guess right now.

[Image: flywheel_measurement.png]
Click through for a larger image.

Some of the dimensions are estimates, like the radius of the flywheel and the radius of the friction surface cavity, since those are currently irrelevant for the mock-up I'm doing. If this endeavor turns out to be feasible, which so far it seems to be, I'll be taking final measurements off my flywheel with the CMM to correct them.

The flange to friction surface and friction surface to pressure plate surface measurements shown are worst-case wear values from the engine FSM.

I've also been trying to find the automatic flywheel that came off the 617 to get a flange thickness comparison. It should be ~ 11mm thicker based on the difference in length between the automatic and manual flywheel bolts.
It's playing hard to find right now, so if anyone can get me that It would be appreciated.

Measurements should be made with either a set of dial calipers or a micrometer, either metric or imperial, as this will be going into a cad drawing that will be used to help create the adapter plate and crank spacer.

I'd also be interested in the finger to flywheel mating surface (not friction surface) measurements off of a 300D pressure plate if anyone has one handy. This can be a tape-measure/stick ruler measurement, as the hydraulic clutch should correct for any difference up to about a quarter inch, and I have ample travel based on my calculations.

This is what I have thus far. Not shown is the 617 block, the trans housing is incomplete, and there's no pressure plate. The Mitsubishi clutch was measured for this.

[Image: whole_shebang_cutaway_2.png]

Click through for a link back to the gallery with a few more screencaps/photo's/etc

The individual cad models will be released to the general public with a simple "don't say you made it if you didn't" style license once I have them finished.

Thanks in advance,

Walt

I can be wrong, don't take everything I say as verbatim, please fact-check first.

aaa
GT2256V

10-01-2010, 09:01 PM #2
Darn, I just bolted the thing on...
aaa
10-01-2010, 09:01 PM #2

Darn, I just bolted the thing on...

300D50

10-04-2010, 02:46 AM #3
Haha, aint that how it always goes though?

There has to be a flywheel kicking around someone else's garage though...

I don't have any Mercedes goodies or I'd offer up a prize. Tongue

300D50
10-04-2010, 02:46 AM #3

Haha, aint that how it always goes though?

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

10-04-2010, 07:25 AM #4
(10-04-2010, 02:46 AM)300D50 Haha, aint that how it always goes though?

I will measeure the 300D flywheel I have in the garage when I get home today.

Here are some specs from Mercedes:

This post was last modified: 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM by Rudolf_Diesel.
Attached Files
Image(s)

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
10-04-2010, 07:25 AM #4

(10-04-2010, 02:46 AM)300D50 Haha, aint that how it always goes though?

I will measeure the 300D flywheel I have in the garage when I get home today.

Here are some specs from Mercedes:

Attached Files
Image(s)

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

300D50

10-04-2010, 07:54 AM #5
Thanks! My day is looking up!

I've got an older paperback version of the FSM I pulled the a and b measurements from, seems to be the same so that's good.

300D50
10-04-2010, 07:54 AM #5

Thanks! My day is looking up!

I've got an older paperback version of the FSM I pulled the a and b measurements from, seems to be the same so that's good.

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

10-04-2010, 08:36 PM #6
(10-04-2010, 07:54 AM)300D50 Thanks! My day is looking up!

I measured and got 8.9mm from the face of the flywheel to the crank flange.

Rudolf_Diesel
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM #6

(10-04-2010, 07:54 AM)300D50 Thanks! My day is looking up!

I measured and got 8.9mm from the face of the flywheel to the crank flange.

300D50

10-04-2010, 09:20 PM #7
Wooooot! Thank you!

That puts it at roughly 2mm further out than I had it, giving me full engagement of the clutch spliine to the input shaft spline!
8.9mm plus the 10mm for the flange puts me at a total thickness of 18.9mm. The original mt bolts are 20mm, the automatic bolts are 31mm, so there's 11 mm there. That means I've got a total of 14mm I can space out the crank by. I'll be confirming on the auto flywheel when I get it from dropnosky, mine is lost in a black hole...

Now to get the rest of the calculations finished tomorrow, finalize the pilot bearing section of the extension, and I'll have a prototype in no time!

Life is good, life is good!

300D50
10-04-2010, 09:20 PM #7

Wooooot! Thank you!

That puts it at roughly 2mm further out than I had it, giving me full engagement of the clutch spliine to the input shaft spline!
8.9mm plus the 10mm for the flange puts me at a total thickness of 18.9mm. The original mt bolts are 20mm, the automatic bolts are 31mm, so there's 11 mm there. That means I've got a total of 14mm I can space out the crank by. I'll be confirming on the auto flywheel when I get it from dropnosky, mine is lost in a black hole...

Now to get the rest of the calculations finished tomorrow, finalize the pilot bearing section of the extension, and I'll have a prototype in no time!

Life is good, life is good!

300D50

10-08-2010, 09:05 PM #8
Got an auto flywheel from Dropnosky today, it's flange thickness with driven plate and the ring that holds the plate is roughly 22mm.

If I subtract the 8.9mm for the manual flywheel, I get a spacer thickness of 13.1mm, or just plain 13mm since .1mm is within tolerance of the stamped plate on the auto flywheel combo.

That leaves me right where I need to be, I'll have full engagement of the input shaft splines to the clutch splines at worst-case dimensions.

The ring gear diameters are also the same between the manual and auto, and the auto flywheel fits in the Mitsubishi clutch housing like it was made to, so I'm golden there!

Something tells me this will become a reality real quick... Smile
This post was last modified: 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM by 300D50.

300D50
10-08-2010, 09:05 PM #8

Got an auto flywheel from Dropnosky today, it's flange thickness with driven plate and the ring that holds the plate is roughly 22mm.

If I subtract the 8.9mm for the manual flywheel, I get a spacer thickness of 13.1mm, or just plain 13mm since .1mm is within tolerance of the stamped plate on the auto flywheel combo.

That leaves me right where I need to be, I'll have full engagement of the input shaft splines to the clutch splines at worst-case dimensions.

The ring gear diameters are also the same between the manual and auto, and the auto flywheel fits in the Mitsubishi clutch housing like it was made to, so I'm golden there!

Something tells me this will become a reality real quick... Smile

300D50

10-24-2010, 08:36 PM #9
Something tells me my memory is futzed...

1150320601 is the PN from the flywheel, I'm guessing it's 240D and not 300D like I thought it was all this time...

Crap.

Well, it's going in for surgery in any case.

300D50
10-24-2010, 08:36 PM #9

Something tells me my memory is futzed...

1150320601 is the PN from the flywheel, I'm guessing it's 240D and not 300D like I thought it was all this time...

Crap.

Well, it's going in for surgery in any case.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average