STD Other Open Glow Plugs

Glow Plugs

Glow Plugs

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Duckinator17
Diesel Lover

10-23-2010, 11:20 PM #1
Question that's been bugging be for quite some time, mostly out of curiosity.

Why don't semis have glow plugs?

Every Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Mack, and Mercedes I work on don't have them.
We've all heard the saying "dont use ether/starting fluid on our cars because of the glow plugs."
But we can use it on our rigs. Why is that that the trucks dont have them?
Thanks.

'81 300SD- OM617.951, Turned-up Pump, Pushing 12PSI, 2.5" Turbo-Back Straight Pipe, Euro Head Lights, ALDA Removed, No EGR, Camo Dash + Seat Covers, DU Floor Mats, Cobra CB, LED Trunk lights, 12V outlets in the trunk, and other things...
Duckinator17
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM #1

Question that's been bugging be for quite some time, mostly out of curiosity.

Why don't semis have glow plugs?

Every Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Mack, and Mercedes I work on don't have them.
We've all heard the saying "dont use ether/starting fluid on our cars because of the glow plugs."
But we can use it on our rigs. Why is that that the trucks dont have them?
Thanks.

'81 300SD- OM617.951, Turned-up Pump, Pushing 12PSI, 2.5" Turbo-Back Straight Pipe, Euro Head Lights, ALDA Removed, No EGR, Camo Dash + Seat Covers, DU Floor Mats, Cobra CB, LED Trunk lights, 12V outlets in the trunk, and other things...

ForcedInduction
Banned

10-23-2010, 11:53 PM #2
(10-23-2010, 11:20 PM)Duckinator17 Why don't semis have glow plugs?
Direct injection engines don't lose 20% of their compression heat into the cylinder head as IDI engines do. Plus, the cylinders in semis are very large (~2.5L/cyl) so they have little surface area to suck off heat compared to a small engine like ours (0.6L/cyl).

Quote:But we can use it on our rigs. Why is that that the trucks dont have them?
Many you can't (especially Volvo and Cummins) because they use a heater grid.

The heater grid isn't actually a starting aid, its for emissions.

Whats really funny is that the Cummins in the Dodges will start in freezing weather with no aid, yet the "heavy duty" V8s in Ford and GM won't start for crap without glowplugs in cool weather. Yes, I've had a Rattlejoke burn off my eyebrows from using ether. Rolleyes
This post was last modified: 10-23-2010, 11:55 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
10-23-2010, 11:53 PM #2

(10-23-2010, 11:20 PM)Duckinator17 Why don't semis have glow plugs?
Direct injection engines don't lose 20% of their compression heat into the cylinder head as IDI engines do. Plus, the cylinders in semis are very large (~2.5L/cyl) so they have little surface area to suck off heat compared to a small engine like ours (0.6L/cyl).

Quote:But we can use it on our rigs. Why is that that the trucks dont have them?
Many you can't (especially Volvo and Cummins) because they use a heater grid.

The heater grid isn't actually a starting aid, its for emissions.

Whats really funny is that the Cummins in the Dodges will start in freezing weather with no aid, yet the "heavy duty" V8s in Ford and GM won't start for crap without glowplugs in cool weather. Yes, I've had a Rattlejoke burn off my eyebrows from using ether. Rolleyes

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average