STD Tuning Engine Need advice on new project 1954 190D

Need advice on new project 1954 190D

Need advice on new project 1954 190D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mogcrazy
Naturally-aspirated

03-01-2011, 03:12 PM #1
Hey guys,
Here's the deal, I have a 1954 190D that needs a little TLC, but is overall a great project car. It has the OM621 4cyl diesel motor. The car is fun to drive, but very sluggish as normal for old mercedes vehicles. Also it has the three on the tree manual transmission, which is a pain to use.

So the plan, source a DB auto transmission found in a few models in the 59-74 year range. I have researched the DB and found it does fit the 4cyl diesel I have. I bought a T3 turbo off a 4cyl volvo motor and the intercooler. I thought this turbo might be a little over sized for the 4cyl, since the MB 5cyl 300D has the same turbo, but I guess it's better than nothing. Install the vacuum pump and brake master cylinder assembly off a 5cyl diesel, for power brakes. Get some newer MB wheels and tires off craigslist, and maybe some paint. Also would like to tinker on the injection pump to get some more power.

The goal, having something that will get good MPG, be fun and comfortable to drive, have some zip, anyone can drive it, reliable, good on long distance trips (vacation and family usually a 4hr drive).

Don't have a ton of money to spend and no a 5cyl will not fit in the engine bay, will already have to move the radiator back, take off fan, cut out some of the grill and latch mechanism brace and install a very thin electric fan behind the grill just to get the intercooler which is only 2" thick to fit in there.

Does this sound like a cool project or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for any help, ideas or links to what others have done
Shaun

(I'll try to get some pictures up today or tomorrow)
Mogcrazy
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM #1

Hey guys,
Here's the deal, I have a 1954 190D that needs a little TLC, but is overall a great project car. It has the OM621 4cyl diesel motor. The car is fun to drive, but very sluggish as normal for old mercedes vehicles. Also it has the three on the tree manual transmission, which is a pain to use.

So the plan, source a DB auto transmission found in a few models in the 59-74 year range. I have researched the DB and found it does fit the 4cyl diesel I have. I bought a T3 turbo off a 4cyl volvo motor and the intercooler. I thought this turbo might be a little over sized for the 4cyl, since the MB 5cyl 300D has the same turbo, but I guess it's better than nothing. Install the vacuum pump and brake master cylinder assembly off a 5cyl diesel, for power brakes. Get some newer MB wheels and tires off craigslist, and maybe some paint. Also would like to tinker on the injection pump to get some more power.

The goal, having something that will get good MPG, be fun and comfortable to drive, have some zip, anyone can drive it, reliable, good on long distance trips (vacation and family usually a 4hr drive).

Don't have a ton of money to spend and no a 5cyl will not fit in the engine bay, will already have to move the radiator back, take off fan, cut out some of the grill and latch mechanism brace and install a very thin electric fan behind the grill just to get the intercooler which is only 2" thick to fit in there.

Does this sound like a cool project or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for any help, ideas or links to what others have done
Shaun

(I'll try to get some pictures up today or tomorrow)

winmutt
bitbanger

03-01-2011, 03:57 PM #2
You are probably much better off with a GT17VNT (or whatever they are off the veedubs). I don't think a t3 would spool up on a 2.0 until sometime after our sun super nova's. They can be found cheap enough and are pretty small.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM #2

You are probably much better off with a GT17VNT (or whatever they are off the veedubs). I don't think a t3 would spool up on a 2.0 until sometime after our sun super nova's. They can be found cheap enough and are pretty small.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

Mogcrazy
Naturally-aspirated

03-01-2011, 04:46 PM #3
Thanks for the help, already found a couple on ebay, they are pretty cheap $100-$150. These are off the 1.8t engine, that sounds like a much better fit than the T3 I got off the 2.4 volvo motor.

Mogcrazy
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM #3

Thanks for the help, already found a couple on ebay, they are pretty cheap $100-$150. These are off the 1.8t engine, that sounds like a much better fit than the T3 I got off the 2.4 volvo motor.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average