STD Other Alt fuels What does it cost???

What does it cost???

What does it cost???

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bdiesel
Naturally-aspirated

03-03-2011, 11:48 PM #1
I am slowly wading into the alternative fuel world. I know several restaurant owners so I believe I could get all the WVO I need. I don't know which way to go from there. Biodiesel or WVO 2 tank system. The point of either is to try and save money as diesel inches past $4/gal. So what does it cost to go each way?
To start I would either spend on a 2 tank system or a biodiesel processing set up, but from there what does it cost to produce a gallon of biodiesel vs a gallon of useable WVO?
Any help would be appreciated.
bdiesel
03-03-2011, 11:48 PM #1

I am slowly wading into the alternative fuel world. I know several restaurant owners so I believe I could get all the WVO I need. I don't know which way to go from there. Biodiesel or WVO 2 tank system. The point of either is to try and save money as diesel inches past $4/gal. So what does it cost to go each way?
To start I would either spend on a 2 tank system or a biodiesel processing set up, but from there what does it cost to produce a gallon of biodiesel vs a gallon of useable WVO?
Any help would be appreciated.

stan
Holset

03-04-2011, 12:04 AM #2
you are going to get mixed responses as a segment of this forum (mostly one person) strongly disagrees with most peoples' use of WVO. i can understand why - a lot of people don't take the time to do everything just right, which will indeed fuck your shit up.

i personally use 'cold upflow' filtration. it's worked great for me, and i've never even clogged a single stock fuel filter in the time i've been using that method (~1yr). the thing is i live in a very warm climate, and started out with good oil. your mileage can and will vary, especially depending on how cold virginia gets and how well you filter and DEWATER your oil.

i've never made biodiesel, but to the best of my memory i've heard figures around $1/gal to produce it.

my advice in a few words would be:
1) make damn sure you are doing everything right because one small screwup could be expensive.
2) figure out if its worth your time to DIY, and whether you can afford to have to replace an engine if you mess up
3) figure out where you will source your oil consistently before you get too invested.

stan
03-04-2011, 12:04 AM #2

you are going to get mixed responses as a segment of this forum (mostly one person) strongly disagrees with most peoples' use of WVO. i can understand why - a lot of people don't take the time to do everything just right, which will indeed fuck your shit up.

i personally use 'cold upflow' filtration. it's worked great for me, and i've never even clogged a single stock fuel filter in the time i've been using that method (~1yr). the thing is i live in a very warm climate, and started out with good oil. your mileage can and will vary, especially depending on how cold virginia gets and how well you filter and DEWATER your oil.

i've never made biodiesel, but to the best of my memory i've heard figures around $1/gal to produce it.

my advice in a few words would be:
1) make damn sure you are doing everything right because one small screwup could be expensive.
2) figure out if its worth your time to DIY, and whether you can afford to have to replace an engine if you mess up
3) figure out where you will source your oil consistently before you get too invested.

larsalan
Superturbo

03-04-2011, 07:40 AM #3
Besides getting hated on this forum is not specifically dedicated to just fuel. Maybe ask at some where like
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/making_biodiesel/

They have big cone shaped tanks, processors, chemicals, wasted products "glycerin" and wastewater.
Fooling around with any of the oil is a bit of trouble just because of the weight, volume, and mess of it. Oil is something like 7.5 lbs/gal. So how are you going to haul it around? Transfer it with what pumps? Oh and when you make it into biodiesel you won't yield 100% of the volume. You might get like ~80-90% of the volume as usable and the rest as waste products + the wastewater.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
03-04-2011, 07:40 AM #3

Besides getting hated on this forum is not specifically dedicated to just fuel. Maybe ask at some where like
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/making_biodiesel/

They have big cone shaped tanks, processors, chemicals, wasted products "glycerin" and wastewater.
Fooling around with any of the oil is a bit of trouble just because of the weight, volume, and mess of it. Oil is something like 7.5 lbs/gal. So how are you going to haul it around? Transfer it with what pumps? Oh and when you make it into biodiesel you won't yield 100% of the volume. You might get like ~80-90% of the volume as usable and the rest as waste products + the wastewater.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

winmutt
bitbanger

03-04-2011, 10:05 AM #4
My time is precious. I'd much rather spend time doing other things than collecting and processing wvo and potentially ruining my car. Maybe when Diesel hits 5....
This post was last modified: 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM by winmutt.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM #4

My time is precious. I'd much rather spend time doing other things than collecting and processing wvo and potentially ruining my car. Maybe when Diesel hits 5....

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

stan
Holset

03-04-2011, 11:49 AM #5
(03-04-2011, 10:05 AM)winmutt My time is precious. I'd much rather spend time doing other things than collecting and processing wvo and potentially ruining my car. Maybe when Diesel hits 5....

this is my same thought process except my time is worth very little (college student, unemployed, etc). WVO is not magic, you have to weigh the costs and benefits carefully.
stan
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM #5

(03-04-2011, 10:05 AM)winmutt My time is precious. I'd much rather spend time doing other things than collecting and processing wvo and potentially ruining my car. Maybe when Diesel hits 5....

this is my same thought process except my time is worth very little (college student, unemployed, etc). WVO is not magic, you have to weigh the costs and benefits carefully.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-04-2011, 06:50 PM #6
(03-03-2011, 11:48 PM)bdiesel I don't know which way to go from there. Biodiesel or WVO 2 tank system

If you want to drive on public roads, the only option is to buy a Biodiesel processor. The cost compared to a "conversion" is similar but in the end you get all the advantages of Biodiesel and it doesn't kill the engine like WVO.
ForcedInduction
03-04-2011, 06:50 PM #6

(03-03-2011, 11:48 PM)bdiesel I don't know which way to go from there. Biodiesel or WVO 2 tank system

If you want to drive on public roads, the only option is to buy a Biodiesel processor. The cost compared to a "conversion" is similar but in the end you get all the advantages of Biodiesel and it doesn't kill the engine like WVO.

justcruisin
Naturally-aspirated

03-14-2011, 03:36 PM #7
I have driven 250.000 km the last 5 yrs on WVO and the car is still running as new.

Older mercedes engines with the Bosch line pumps have no problems with WVO.

I've spoken a lot of sceptic people who scream about engine damage but never have seen damage that was cause by plant oil.
So there doesn't seem to be any prove..?

My S350td 1995, 307d 1979 and 300tdt 1992 are running on plant oil and no problems occured.

I had to close the EGR valve on the S350td because of dirt in the inlet manifold, other than that no problems.

The fuel tank tank is filled with 90% plant oil (soja, sunflower, etc) and 10% diesel to ensure a smooth cold start.

2 Tank systems are possible and sold, start on diesel and switch over to 100% plant oil.

Driving on plant oils is a big hype in europe due to the high fuel prices so a lot of info can be found.
Visit this dutch website for more info, use google translater!

www.ppo.nu

www.fmso.de germany

justcruisin
03-14-2011, 03:36 PM #7

I have driven 250.000 km the last 5 yrs on WVO and the car is still running as new.

Older mercedes engines with the Bosch line pumps have no problems with WVO.

I've spoken a lot of sceptic people who scream about engine damage but never have seen damage that was cause by plant oil.
So there doesn't seem to be any prove..?

My S350td 1995, 307d 1979 and 300tdt 1992 are running on plant oil and no problems occured.

I had to close the EGR valve on the S350td because of dirt in the inlet manifold, other than that no problems.

The fuel tank tank is filled with 90% plant oil (soja, sunflower, etc) and 10% diesel to ensure a smooth cold start.

2 Tank systems are possible and sold, start on diesel and switch over to 100% plant oil.

Driving on plant oils is a big hype in europe due to the high fuel prices so a lot of info can be found.
Visit this dutch website for more info, use google translater!

www.ppo.nu

www.fmso.de germany

garage
Bush Taxi

03-14-2011, 07:52 PM #8

Its close, i saw $4.29 the other day.

1987 300D: EGR Delete, ARV Delete, Cold Air Intake...
garage
03-14-2011, 07:52 PM #8

Its close, i saw $4.29 the other day.

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

03-17-2011, 09:24 PM #9
I will never use WVO. Fuck that. Biodiesel Yes.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
03-17-2011, 09:24 PM #9

I will never use WVO. Fuck that. Biodiesel Yes.

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

garage
Bush Taxi

03-17-2011, 09:56 PM #10
Yeah its baad evil stuffTongue

garage
03-17-2011, 09:56 PM #10

Yeah its baad evil stuffTongue

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average