STD Other Non MBZ Diesel tds tuning and hello

tds tuning and hello

tds tuning and hello

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rotten 5er
Naturally-aspirated

03-06-2011, 03:24 AM #1
hello all

i've felt the need to join up and say hi based on the readings of the forum, i'm sort of new with diesels but i have looked on a few forums, but there aren't a great deal i have found, and if i did they were normally about horrible gaellic tin, and i'm afraid i have no interest spending my evenings reading about crap french cars (i'm a german car fan through and through.)
I'm amazed by the site and have spent days reading about you guys and your machines and the technology. I must admit i'm no idiot when it comes to cars, i'm fascinated by mechanics and engineering and learnt by watching and reading mainly, and working on my own vehicles but it was only this site that has givin me a better understanding of VGT turbos etc explained without gibberish!!
I worked in a local vw dealer on service for 4 years and then the only official hummer dealer in the uk when the going was good lol and even had a go of a 7 litre z06 which was nice in a scary way
Now as the titles of the title of the post suggests TDS tuning. I have an e34 bmw 525 tds not a merc i know, but its german and i love it dearly. Even with 190k on the clock it is still as quiet inside the cabin than a friends 04 audi a4, and a lot faster being turned up to as much as the tuner wanted to push the stock turbo. I come to you guys as your more a do it, rather than type it bunch if you get my drift and other forums have been just filled with the usual chip, air filter exhaust de cat etc which mine already has.
On this site i see people with pictures of huges turbos doing unnatural things for a diesel and think why can't i find info on bmw tuning like you guys are managing. Do you know of any sites you may refer me to, or equally engage in a discussion with me, possibly give me some pointers.
I know the newer 330ds and so forth the original management won't allow past 1.9 bars boost i think which limits them being took any further. But reading up on my injection pump, which is bosch, similar to a ve but with ecu control there seems possiblilty of upgrade.
A chap got in my taxi and recommended i had the fuel pump done as he had on his 330d rather than just a chip and it has been on my mind while i'm mulling over a turbo. having seen teemu's drifter and other vehicles on this site i would like to push for 300/ 350 bhp and with some reading it appears the hx35 is to big for mine perhaps, maybe a hy35 better???? i'm still a bit baffled and have been referring to some of the sticky threads on the turbos which is a fantastic thread/read!!! very useful. Also if this chap cannot do my fuel pump, are there alternatives, can myna help, i checked there site but no mention of bmw.
any help is gratefully received, i really want to keep the car, i prefer older cars, as you become endeared to something that brings you home 400 miles then breaks on your driveway lol, and if i didn't have it i'd have a cosworth ford (one day) .
a couple of tips as thanks

stuggling with a stubborn crank pulley nut/ flywheel bolts and you have the engine out of the car/gearbox out and can't lock the engine still to get a good swing (doesn't apply if you have an air gun, or an auto in fact just realised).a bolt threaded into bellhousing hole through a ring spanner, or even better a spanner from a cycle tool kit, and again a bolt on the other end into the flywheel will lock it a dream..

secondly applying to e34 bmw rear subframe bushes, but equally the same of most modern cars. a tip from a mechanic friend and it worked. He advised do not use the correct tool for the job, even the snap on tool almost wants to snap off removing the bushes, so burn, cut old ones out, then not needing the tool to push it back in, liberally smear the bush in GREEN swarfega hand cream (non abrasive industrial hand cleaner in uk), not the same as washing up liquid!!!!! anyway this bush which will normally be forced in, i pushed in by hand 3/4 of the way, only requiring a push with the jack the last bit. incidentally do it one side at a time and remember to place a piece of wood between the floor and the subframe or it will move about and the jack will just move the subframe and not the bush

also one to get you in the mrs good books. found that instead of on valentines/xmas/birthdays rather than buy one from a shop, find someone who makes wedding invites etc, all fancy stuff and get them to make a card for you, not very expensive adds that 'he really has taken a lot of thought/ time taken going out to find it element' but you haven't lol you make a phone call and it arrives designed by a woman for a woman, can't lose!!!!!
rotten 5er
03-06-2011, 03:24 AM #1

hello all

i've felt the need to join up and say hi based on the readings of the forum, i'm sort of new with diesels but i have looked on a few forums, but there aren't a great deal i have found, and if i did they were normally about horrible gaellic tin, and i'm afraid i have no interest spending my evenings reading about crap french cars (i'm a german car fan through and through.)
I'm amazed by the site and have spent days reading about you guys and your machines and the technology. I must admit i'm no idiot when it comes to cars, i'm fascinated by mechanics and engineering and learnt by watching and reading mainly, and working on my own vehicles but it was only this site that has givin me a better understanding of VGT turbos etc explained without gibberish!!
I worked in a local vw dealer on service for 4 years and then the only official hummer dealer in the uk when the going was good lol and even had a go of a 7 litre z06 which was nice in a scary way
Now as the titles of the title of the post suggests TDS tuning. I have an e34 bmw 525 tds not a merc i know, but its german and i love it dearly. Even with 190k on the clock it is still as quiet inside the cabin than a friends 04 audi a4, and a lot faster being turned up to as much as the tuner wanted to push the stock turbo. I come to you guys as your more a do it, rather than type it bunch if you get my drift and other forums have been just filled with the usual chip, air filter exhaust de cat etc which mine already has.
On this site i see people with pictures of huges turbos doing unnatural things for a diesel and think why can't i find info on bmw tuning like you guys are managing. Do you know of any sites you may refer me to, or equally engage in a discussion with me, possibly give me some pointers.
I know the newer 330ds and so forth the original management won't allow past 1.9 bars boost i think which limits them being took any further. But reading up on my injection pump, which is bosch, similar to a ve but with ecu control there seems possiblilty of upgrade.
A chap got in my taxi and recommended i had the fuel pump done as he had on his 330d rather than just a chip and it has been on my mind while i'm mulling over a turbo. having seen teemu's drifter and other vehicles on this site i would like to push for 300/ 350 bhp and with some reading it appears the hx35 is to big for mine perhaps, maybe a hy35 better???? i'm still a bit baffled and have been referring to some of the sticky threads on the turbos which is a fantastic thread/read!!! very useful. Also if this chap cannot do my fuel pump, are there alternatives, can myna help, i checked there site but no mention of bmw.
any help is gratefully received, i really want to keep the car, i prefer older cars, as you become endeared to something that brings you home 400 miles then breaks on your driveway lol, and if i didn't have it i'd have a cosworth ford (one day) .
a couple of tips as thanks

stuggling with a stubborn crank pulley nut/ flywheel bolts and you have the engine out of the car/gearbox out and can't lock the engine still to get a good swing (doesn't apply if you have an air gun, or an auto in fact just realised).a bolt threaded into bellhousing hole through a ring spanner, or even better a spanner from a cycle tool kit, and again a bolt on the other end into the flywheel will lock it a dream..

secondly applying to e34 bmw rear subframe bushes, but equally the same of most modern cars. a tip from a mechanic friend and it worked. He advised do not use the correct tool for the job, even the snap on tool almost wants to snap off removing the bushes, so burn, cut old ones out, then not needing the tool to push it back in, liberally smear the bush in GREEN swarfega hand cream (non abrasive industrial hand cleaner in uk), not the same as washing up liquid!!!!! anyway this bush which will normally be forced in, i pushed in by hand 3/4 of the way, only requiring a push with the jack the last bit. incidentally do it one side at a time and remember to place a piece of wood between the floor and the subframe or it will move about and the jack will just move the subframe and not the bush

also one to get you in the mrs good books. found that instead of on valentines/xmas/birthdays rather than buy one from a shop, find someone who makes wedding invites etc, all fancy stuff and get them to make a card for you, not very expensive adds that 'he really has taken a lot of thought/ time taken going out to find it element' but you haven't lol you make a phone call and it arrives designed by a woman for a woman, can't lose!!!!!

muuris
OM605

03-06-2011, 08:56 AM #2
Don't try to get 300hp out of M51. 250hp is quite easily doable and the engine has chances of holding together. I've built ~250hp M21 (12mm distributor head, big turbo, big ic, better clutch and so on).

One M51 has made nearly 400hp in Finland but it was with Merc pump + other big mods. Still, giving the same effort to a Merc engine would give one couple of hundred horses more.

I chose to put OM606 in my E32. Better than M51 in every way and also fits nicely Wink
This post was last modified: 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM by muuris.
muuris
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM #2

Don't try to get 300hp out of M51. 250hp is quite easily doable and the engine has chances of holding together. I've built ~250hp M21 (12mm distributor head, big turbo, big ic, better clutch and so on).

One M51 has made nearly 400hp in Finland but it was with Merc pump + other big mods. Still, giving the same effort to a Merc engine would give one couple of hundred horses more.

I chose to put OM606 in my E32. Better than M51 in every way and also fits nicely Wink

simonbond
Banned

03-06-2011, 12:07 PM #3
Muris you put an om606 in an e32?? was it difficult? after I've modded my 606 putting it into an e31 very briefly crossed my mind..
simonbond
03-06-2011, 12:07 PM #3

Muris you put an om606 in an e32?? was it difficult? after I've modded my 606 putting it into an e31 very briefly crossed my mind..

rotten 5er
Naturally-aspirated

03-06-2011, 11:19 PM #4
have you donea thread on your m21, i would be very interested reading it,or know of a thread i could have a look at

yeah i know about the clutch weakpoint, have been investigating e28 flywheels for a solid flywheel and different clutch as the conversion kit is 450 english pounds (which are probably the same parts). have a link to a driftworks forum article suggesting the e28 528 had the lightest solid flywheel in the range if your interested
Also i have a problem with the left hand engine mount tearing and have considered the v12 petrol mounts but worried about vibration transmitted through the car
any possible links or videos of this m51 with 400 ponies,sounds mad.
i'm assuming plenty of head porting, valve,cam work etc???
must have taken some working out to put a pump from another vehicle surely.
you mention a 12mm distributor head, where can this be obtained and what kind of figures/costs are involved what turbo is required for the task,i was suggested a td04 19t from a volvo t5 but is the original nearly the same,is the original exhaust manifold ok, for a bigger turbo obviously bigger exhaust and intercooler required and can i avoid losing the electronics on the pump. i also have concerns of too much smoke being in the uk. You mention the engine holding together, does it have inherent weakpoints as i only ever been impressed with the engine. I have considered buying a spare engine as some come up at reasonable money in breakers from vauxhall omegas and range rovers, but i won't touch the vauxhall ones as i heard there not as good for some reason, read something somewhere that has filled me with doubt but you may correct me and say they came from the same factory and just injectors ecu and wiring different as every part cross reference i can do via euro car parts etc suggest are the only differences. But also does the 3.0 d bottom end fit???,or can a m51 pump be fitted to a 3.0 d from a e39/ e60.

Had a fair idea a om606 conversion would be mentioned, but the wiring from tds,then to om606 daunts me, and if engine conversions are on the cards i would also consider a m50 turbo conversion, 1/2jz-gte supra engine, or a rb20/25 det from a skyline also so trying to avoid a transplant.

thank you for replying,even with 250 bhp i could have some fun with
This post was last modified: 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM by rotten 5er.
rotten 5er
03-06-2011, 11:19 PM #4

have you donea thread on your m21, i would be very interested reading it,or know of a thread i could have a look at

yeah i know about the clutch weakpoint, have been investigating e28 flywheels for a solid flywheel and different clutch as the conversion kit is 450 english pounds (which are probably the same parts). have a link to a driftworks forum article suggesting the e28 528 had the lightest solid flywheel in the range if your interested
Also i have a problem with the left hand engine mount tearing and have considered the v12 petrol mounts but worried about vibration transmitted through the car
any possible links or videos of this m51 with 400 ponies,sounds mad.
i'm assuming plenty of head porting, valve,cam work etc???
must have taken some working out to put a pump from another vehicle surely.
you mention a 12mm distributor head, where can this be obtained and what kind of figures/costs are involved what turbo is required for the task,i was suggested a td04 19t from a volvo t5 but is the original nearly the same,is the original exhaust manifold ok, for a bigger turbo obviously bigger exhaust and intercooler required and can i avoid losing the electronics on the pump. i also have concerns of too much smoke being in the uk. You mention the engine holding together, does it have inherent weakpoints as i only ever been impressed with the engine. I have considered buying a spare engine as some come up at reasonable money in breakers from vauxhall omegas and range rovers, but i won't touch the vauxhall ones as i heard there not as good for some reason, read something somewhere that has filled me with doubt but you may correct me and say they came from the same factory and just injectors ecu and wiring different as every part cross reference i can do via euro car parts etc suggest are the only differences. But also does the 3.0 d bottom end fit???,or can a m51 pump be fitted to a 3.0 d from a e39/ e60.

Had a fair idea a om606 conversion would be mentioned, but the wiring from tds,then to om606 daunts me, and if engine conversions are on the cards i would also consider a m50 turbo conversion, 1/2jz-gte supra engine, or a rb20/25 det from a skyline also so trying to avoid a transplant.

thank you for replying,even with 250 bhp i could have some fun with

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average