STD Tuning Drivetrain 280 GE with Om603 transmission swap help

280 GE with Om603 transmission swap help

280 GE with Om603 transmission swap help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ignacio_an
Unregistered

03-09-2011, 02:35 AM #1
Hi everyone:
I´m from Chile and also new on the forum. I have been reading some posts here and in other forums looking for help for my proyect.
The proyect is a 1981 280 GE with 300 sdl om 603961 engine swap. I´m using it with the auto trans but now I want to swap to a manual transmission. I´m using 290 Gdt gears 3.72:1, I fit them into the w460 differencial with a small modification, they are working well. before them I have use the stock 4.88:1 w460 gears but cruise speed was too slow. Also using w463 g500 wheels and tires 265/60r 18 Can you help me a little?

which flywheel and clucth are you using? I have read that the best option is the M103 flywheel, but wich one, the single or the dual mass?

what transmission? Also have read that the 190E 2.6 is the transmission to use, any other will be better for my proyect? What about the 6 speed from 203 M11?

what differential gears?

what tires size?

kind regards
Ignacio

ignacio_an
03-09-2011, 02:35 AM #1

Hi everyone:
I´m from Chile and also new on the forum. I have been reading some posts here and in other forums looking for help for my proyect.
The proyect is a 1981 280 GE with 300 sdl om 603961 engine swap. I´m using it with the auto trans but now I want to swap to a manual transmission. I´m using 290 Gdt gears 3.72:1, I fit them into the w460 differencial with a small modification, they are working well. before them I have use the stock 4.88:1 w460 gears but cruise speed was too slow. Also using w463 g500 wheels and tires 265/60r 18 Can you help me a little?

which flywheel and clucth are you using? I have read that the best option is the M103 flywheel, but wich one, the single or the dual mass?

what transmission? Also have read that the 190E 2.6 is the transmission to use, any other will be better for my proyect? What about the 6 speed from 203 M11?

what differential gears?

what tires size?

kind regards
Ignacio

aaa
GT2256V

03-11-2011, 05:05 AM #2
Well I wouldn't know anything about what differential gearing you should use... main worry would be it short enough for less clutch slipping on takeoff. And of course you'll then have overdrive with less highway worries, if there were any advantages to your old gearing you might be able to get the best of both.

I'm using single mass, just because it's simpler and cheaper. You will need a matching transmission for single vs dual mass.

You seem to be on the right track with the transmissions. Six speed will be more expensive of course, and the shifter linkage is different. Somebody on 190rev had one, and it fit on the engine but he never tried to make the linkage work.
aaa
03-11-2011, 05:05 AM #2

Well I wouldn't know anything about what differential gearing you should use... main worry would be it short enough for less clutch slipping on takeoff. And of course you'll then have overdrive with less highway worries, if there were any advantages to your old gearing you might be able to get the best of both.

I'm using single mass, just because it's simpler and cheaper. You will need a matching transmission for single vs dual mass.

You seem to be on the right track with the transmissions. Six speed will be more expensive of course, and the shifter linkage is different. Somebody on 190rev had one, and it fit on the engine but he never tried to make the linkage work.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average