STD Maintenance General om617 timing cover?

om617 timing cover?

om617 timing cover?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bigjake
Naturally-aspirated

02-07-2009, 05:15 PM #1
what is that bolt in timing cover has a hex of 24mm and a long shank made on it. its behind bracket for crank sensor, this is a 1985 300sd
bigjake
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM #1

what is that bolt in timing cover has a hex of 24mm and a long shank made on it. its behind bracket for crank sensor, this is a 1985 300sd

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

02-07-2009, 10:59 PM #2
you are referring to the cap behind the metal bracket, correct? In the picture, it is the lower one to the right.

That is a cover for the bore of the one of the main oil galleries. Behind it is another threaded insert into the block that seals the gallery.

the bolt / plug you see in the photo doubles as a timing chain rail pin. If you remove it, you will find a shank that is integral to its design (this is the pin). You can remove it without fear of causing damage.
This post was last modified: 02-08-2009, 01:58 AM by totaldisaster.
Attached Files
Image(s)

totaldisaster
02-07-2009, 10:59 PM #2

you are referring to the cap behind the metal bracket, correct? In the picture, it is the lower one to the right.

That is a cover for the bore of the one of the main oil galleries. Behind it is another threaded insert into the block that seals the gallery.

the bolt / plug you see in the photo doubles as a timing chain rail pin. If you remove it, you will find a shank that is integral to its design (this is the pin). You can remove it without fear of causing damage.

Attached Files
Image(s)

bigjake
Naturally-aspirated

02-08-2009, 08:41 AM #3
(02-07-2009, 10:59 PM)totaldisaster you are referring to the cap behind the metal bracket, correct? In the picture, it is the lower one to the right.

thanks for the info and relief,nice picture also. that plug was loose,leaking oil and hard to get to in the car. when i removed it to clean before reinstalling, my heart almost stopped when i saw that shank on it. didnt know what was behind there figured something to with timing chain. guess i got lucky
bigjake
02-08-2009, 08:41 AM #3

(02-07-2009, 10:59 PM)totaldisaster you are referring to the cap behind the metal bracket, correct? In the picture, it is the lower one to the right.

thanks for the info and relief,nice picture also. that plug was loose,leaking oil and hard to get to in the car. when i removed it to clean before reinstalling, my heart almost stopped when i saw that shank on it. didnt know what was behind there figured something to with timing chain. guess i got lucky

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

02-08-2009, 11:46 AM #4
you will need to make certain that the pin does go back through the slide rail, however. It doesn't move much though.
totaldisaster
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM #4

you will need to make certain that the pin does go back through the slide rail, however. It doesn't move much though.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average