z!!!
Naturally-aspirated

03-23-2011, 05:34 PM #1
I need to find out what all has to be done to run WVO in my 83 300SD

z!!!
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM #1

I need to find out what all has to be done to run WVO in my 83 300SD

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

03-23-2011, 06:54 PM #2
Dual tanks, heated WVO & a flame suit to protect yourself from the WVO haters.

Ed
yankneck696
03-23-2011, 06:54 PM #2

Dual tanks, heated WVO & a flame suit to protect yourself from the WVO haters.

Ed

larsalan
Superturbo

03-23-2011, 06:58 PM #3
yankneck696-
"heated WVO"
Probably not if you live in TX and it's summertime

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank
This post was last modified: 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
03-23-2011, 06:58 PM #3

yankneck696-
"heated WVO"
Probably not if you live in TX and it's summertime

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank

George3soccer
Holset

03-23-2011, 07:02 PM #4
Be advised not allot of people like wvo on this forum.

Mb 1984 w201 om603 swap.
Mb 1986 w201 190E 2.3-16v
Mb 2004 w203 C230k
George3soccer
03-23-2011, 07:02 PM #4

Be advised not allot of people like wvo on this forum.

Mb 1984 w201 om603 swap.
Mb 1986 w201 190E 2.3-16v
Mb 2004 w203 C230k

stan
Holset

03-23-2011, 07:24 PM #5
[Image: alot.png]
stan
03-23-2011, 07:24 PM #5

[Image: alot.png]

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-23-2011, 08:24 PM #6
(03-23-2011, 05:34 PM)z!!! I need to find out what all has to be done to run WVO in my 83 300SD
Sell it and buy a junker VW to abuse with that garbage.

(03-23-2011, 06:58 PM)larsalan Probably not if you live in TX and it's summertime

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank
That is an extremely ignorant statement.
This post was last modified: 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM #6

(03-23-2011, 05:34 PM)z!!! I need to find out what all has to be done to run WVO in my 83 300SD

(03-23-2011, 06:58 PM)larsalan Probably not if you live in TX and it's summertime

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank

garage
Bush Taxi

03-23-2011, 08:28 PM #7
Its all in how you filter the oil..it needs to be clean and water free.
The car can run on veggie with no conversions at all...it wouldnt be good for it..but they sure can.

I would suggest a two tank system, so you can start your car on diesel and then switch to veg once its up and running. Also a flat plate heat exchanger/heated fuel lines, an extra in line fuel filter, a small inline fuel pump would help.

Some people swear its instant death.
Some people swear they have 499,999 miles running pure waste oil.

I myself have had positive experiances with veg.

1987 300D: EGR Delete, ARV Delete, Cold Air Intake...
garage
03-23-2011, 08:28 PM #7

Its all in how you filter the oil..it needs to be clean and water free.
The car can run on veggie with no conversions at all...it wouldnt be good for it..but they sure can.

I would suggest a two tank system, so you can start your car on diesel and then switch to veg once its up and running. Also a flat plate heat exchanger/heated fuel lines, an extra in line fuel filter, a small inline fuel pump would help.

Some people swear its instant death.
Some people swear they have 499,999 miles running pure waste oil.

I myself have had positive experiances with veg.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-23-2011, 08:33 PM #8
(03-23-2011, 08:28 PM)garage Its all in how you filter the oil.
Incorrect. Filtering does nothing to remove fat, acids or glycerin from the oil.
Quote:The car can run on veggie with no conversions at all...it wouldnt be good for it..but they sure can.
The car can fly if driven off a cliff too, how long depends on the height of the cliff. And like running on WVO, when its done you just buy another car to replace it.
This post was last modified: 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM #8

(03-23-2011, 08:28 PM)garage Its all in how you filter the oil.
Incorrect. Filtering does nothing to remove fat, acids or glycerin from the oil.
Quote:The car can run on veggie with no conversions at all...it wouldnt be good for it..but they sure can.
The car can fly if driven off a cliff too, how long depends on the height of the cliff. And like running on WVO, when its done you just buy another car to replace it.

larsalan
Superturbo

03-23-2011, 08:43 PM #9
(03-23-2011, 08:24 PM)ForcedInduction

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank

so,

1.acquire vw diesel
2. acquire oil
3. pour into fuel tank

is that less ignorant?
I would bet dollars to donuts that either car would run just how I said. Get oil, dump into fuel tank.

larsalan
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM #9

(03-23-2011, 08:24 PM)ForcedInduction

1. acquire oil
2. pour into fuel tank

so,

1.acquire vw diesel
2. acquire oil
3. pour into fuel tank

is that less ignorant?
I would bet dollars to donuts that either car would run just how I said. Get oil, dump into fuel tank.

garage
Bush Taxi

03-23-2011, 08:48 PM #10
I myself have only ruined 1 car by running wvo, and i beat that 240d to living shit. I was seriously surprised it lasted as long as it did..and i still doubt the wvo ruined it, and i had done no mods for wvo besides an extra filter.
I had two others that i crashed to smitherans and those never ran poorley on wvo..theres 2 cars in my driveway right now that have been running veggie daily for close to 4 years..

I know its not GOOD for the engine..i do my best to make them happy though..i cant afford to run my car on diesel if i sold my arm AND leg/kidney/left pinky. Since i run veggie, i can drive somthing like 400miles on one full tank for somthing like 10cents a gallon.
My personal experiances..good or bad i dont care, it is what it is.

garage
03-23-2011, 08:48 PM #10

I myself have only ruined 1 car by running wvo, and i beat that 240d to living shit. I was seriously surprised it lasted as long as it did..and i still doubt the wvo ruined it, and i had done no mods for wvo besides an extra filter.
I had two others that i crashed to smitherans and those never ran poorley on wvo..theres 2 cars in my driveway right now that have been running veggie daily for close to 4 years..

I know its not GOOD for the engine..i do my best to make them happy though..i cant afford to run my car on diesel if i sold my arm AND leg/kidney/left pinky. Since i run veggie, i can drive somthing like 400miles on one full tank for somthing like 10cents a gallon.
My personal experiances..good or bad i dont care, it is what it is.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-24-2011, 09:18 AM #11
(03-23-2011, 08:43 PM)larsalan 1.acquire vw diesel
2. acquire oil
3. pour into fuel tank
Yes. VW's were built as dirt cheap throw-away economy cars. They won't be missed if one is abused to death with WVO.
ForcedInduction
03-24-2011, 09:18 AM #11

(03-23-2011, 08:43 PM)larsalan 1.acquire vw diesel
2. acquire oil
3. pour into fuel tank
Yes. VW's were built as dirt cheap throw-away economy cars. They won't be missed if one is abused to death with WVO.

z!!!
Naturally-aspirated

03-24-2011, 11:12 AM #12
I understand it's not really a good thing for any diesel car, but when times are tough I would rather run my old Merc into the ground than to loose my house over the price of diesel and gas.... I'm not saying I want to run my car to pieces, just looking to save a little green getting back and forth to work.... 100 mile round trip

I want to do this conversion the the best way possible as to not dammage the car, I don't plan on running wvo forever, just until my wife can get a job that pays
z!!!
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM #12

I understand it's not really a good thing for any diesel car, but when times are tough I would rather run my old Merc into the ground than to loose my house over the price of diesel and gas.... I'm not saying I want to run my car to pieces, just looking to save a little green getting back and forth to work.... 100 mile round trip

I want to do this conversion the the best way possible as to not dammage the car, I don't plan on running wvo forever, just until my wife can get a job that pays

stan
Holset

03-24-2011, 12:33 PM #13
(03-24-2011, 09:18 AM)ForcedInduction Yes. VW's were built as dirt cheap throw-away economy cars. They won't be missed if one is abused to death with WVO.

you say that, but why do i find a million diesel mercedes in junkyards and on craigslist, and at the same time there are almost no diesel VWs available? i would say that if you're going to run a car into the ground might be better to be one that you can actually replace parts on. i could go find a truckload of good engines within a half hour's drive of me and they'd only cost 200-300 each. can you say that for diesel vws?

bottom line, our benzes are highly replaceable at this point in time, and if someone has the time, money, and incilination to run one into the ground then more power to them. when W123s become scarce then we can talk about what car 'won't be missed'
(03-24-2011, 11:12 AM)z!!! I understand it's not really a good thing for any diesel car, but when times are tough I would rather run my old Merc into the ground than to loose my house over the price of diesel and gas.... I'm not saying I want to run my car to pieces, just looking to save a little green getting back and forth to work.... 100 mile round trip

i personally have had the best luck using cold upflow as my filtration and dewatering method. there are a lot of documents around online that explain in great detail.

make sure you very thoroughly dewater and de-shit your oil. if you do not, you will not get enough service life out of the car to be worth the trouble. contrary to what forced says, whether or not you kill your car on wvo is largely a function of how well you clean up the oil before it goes into the vehicle.

other than that, i would make sure everything on the engine is in order - good glow plugs, good compression, good IP, good injectors. these parts will all be under more stress with wvo and will fail quickly if they are not up to par.

all this being said, you should do some soul-searching and be sure that you can/will be able to replace the entire engine in the event that you screw up. no matter what side of the debate you are on, there is always going to be a chance that your actions will cause the engine to be completely inoperable.
This post was last modified: 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM by stan.
stan
03-24-2011, 12:33 PM #13

(03-24-2011, 09:18 AM)ForcedInduction Yes. VW's were built as dirt cheap throw-away economy cars. They won't be missed if one is abused to death with WVO.

you say that, but why do i find a million diesel mercedes in junkyards and on craigslist, and at the same time there are almost no diesel VWs available? i would say that if you're going to run a car into the ground might be better to be one that you can actually replace parts on. i could go find a truckload of good engines within a half hour's drive of me and they'd only cost 200-300 each. can you say that for diesel vws?

bottom line, our benzes are highly replaceable at this point in time, and if someone has the time, money, and incilination to run one into the ground then more power to them. when W123s become scarce then we can talk about what car 'won't be missed'
(03-24-2011, 11:12 AM)z!!! I understand it's not really a good thing for any diesel car, but when times are tough I would rather run my old Merc into the ground than to loose my house over the price of diesel and gas.... I'm not saying I want to run my car to pieces, just looking to save a little green getting back and forth to work.... 100 mile round trip

i personally have had the best luck using cold upflow as my filtration and dewatering method. there are a lot of documents around online that explain in great detail.

make sure you very thoroughly dewater and de-shit your oil. if you do not, you will not get enough service life out of the car to be worth the trouble. contrary to what forced says, whether or not you kill your car on wvo is largely a function of how well you clean up the oil before it goes into the vehicle.

other than that, i would make sure everything on the engine is in order - good glow plugs, good compression, good IP, good injectors. these parts will all be under more stress with wvo and will fail quickly if they are not up to par.

all this being said, you should do some soul-searching and be sure that you can/will be able to replace the entire engine in the event that you screw up. no matter what side of the debate you are on, there is always going to be a chance that your actions will cause the engine to be completely inoperable.

z!!!
Naturally-aspirated

03-25-2011, 05:36 PM #14
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I have two of these cars and and one parts car. I should be able to replace the engine if I need to. I have found a lot of these cars for less than $1000 in my area. Both of my drivers I paid a total of $500, and the parts car (wreck) for $100
This post was last modified: 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM by z!!!.
z!!!
03-25-2011, 05:36 PM #14

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I have two of these cars and and one parts car. I should be able to replace the engine if I need to. I have found a lot of these cars for less than $1000 in my area. Both of my drivers I paid a total of $500, and the parts car (wreck) for $100

garage
Bush Taxi

03-25-2011, 10:44 PM #15
Yeah you can find some serious deals on these cars.
The most ive ever paid for one was $750! Ive also paid $100 bucks for a "parts" car...except is was the cleanest darn w123 car ive ever laid me eyes on!

garage
03-25-2011, 10:44 PM #15

Yeah you can find some serious deals on these cars.
The most ive ever paid for one was $750! Ive also paid $100 bucks for a "parts" car...except is was the cleanest darn w123 car ive ever laid me eyes on!

stan
Holset

03-26-2011, 12:23 AM #16
(03-25-2011, 10:44 PM)garage Ive also paid $100 bucks for a "parts" car...except is was the cleanest darn w123 car ive ever laid me eyes on!

and now its getting a proper build as my car Big Grin you are going to poop your diaper when you see how much nicer it looks after getting some attention
stan
03-26-2011, 12:23 AM #16

(03-25-2011, 10:44 PM)garage Ive also paid $100 bucks for a "parts" car...except is was the cleanest darn w123 car ive ever laid me eyes on!

and now its getting a proper build as my car Big Grin you are going to poop your diaper when you see how much nicer it looks after getting some attention

erling66
SuperDieselVan

04-24-2011, 06:31 PM #17
There are a few things you have to pay attention to when using WVO as a fuel.
First, the WVO has to be clean, (but all fuel has to be clean) there are lots of info about how to clean it on the net.
Second and just as important is its viscosity. WVO is normally 10 times as viscous as diesel and that WILL create problems if you don't lower the viscosity. You can mix it with paraffin or gasoline, but the best way to do it is by heating it up to at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So why is high viscosity so bad? it put extra stress on the fuel system and the WVO will not atomize properly in the combustion chamber, resulting in contaminated engine oil and carbon build up.

But these problems can be overcome making WVO a great fuelSmile

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
04-24-2011, 06:31 PM #17

There are a few things you have to pay attention to when using WVO as a fuel.
First, the WVO has to be clean, (but all fuel has to be clean) there are lots of info about how to clean it on the net.
Second and just as important is its viscosity. WVO is normally 10 times as viscous as diesel and that WILL create problems if you don't lower the viscosity. You can mix it with paraffin or gasoline, but the best way to do it is by heating it up to at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So why is high viscosity so bad? it put extra stress on the fuel system and the WVO will not atomize properly in the combustion chamber, resulting in contaminated engine oil and carbon build up.

But these problems can be overcome making WVO a great fuelSmile

HuhCoolTongue

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-24-2011, 07:39 PM #18
I suggest using a centrifuge. I can spin 20 gallons for example, one tank, for 5 hours and that will be about 15 passes thru the centrifuge. That will clean it to the sub-micron level. That alone will get rid of most of your problems. The cheapest place to buy the centrifuge set-up is PABiodiesel.com. As for the car itself, a 30 plate heat exchanger and a 2nd tank with 2 solonoides for automatic switching between tanks OR you can use manual valves. I actually prefer the latter. I ran straight WVO in the spring & summers in South Carolina for 2 years and 80% WVO and 20% diesel for the rest of the year, and straight WVO on long trips and never a problem before I got Elsbett injectors and upgraded glowplugs. Now, just standard 2 tank system and maybe burning 1-2 gallons of diesel per week. Going on my fourth year now. So, assuming at least $1,500 year a year savings which is very conservative x 4 years = $6,000. Not sure what real arguments are out there against it in light of the economics of it. As for the few who claim it is illegal, please provide the statute in in the United States Code or the SC Code, especially any sections that deal with fuel additives, et cet, since I saw a bunch of posts and threads nothing that states it is explicitly illegal. Thanks.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM #18

I suggest using a centrifuge. I can spin 20 gallons for example, one tank, for 5 hours and that will be about 15 passes thru the centrifuge. That will clean it to the sub-micron level. That alone will get rid of most of your problems. The cheapest place to buy the centrifuge set-up is PABiodiesel.com. As for the car itself, a 30 plate heat exchanger and a 2nd tank with 2 solonoides for automatic switching between tanks OR you can use manual valves. I actually prefer the latter. I ran straight WVO in the spring & summers in South Carolina for 2 years and 80% WVO and 20% diesel for the rest of the year, and straight WVO on long trips and never a problem before I got Elsbett injectors and upgraded glowplugs. Now, just standard 2 tank system and maybe burning 1-2 gallons of diesel per week. Going on my fourth year now. So, assuming at least $1,500 year a year savings which is very conservative x 4 years = $6,000. Not sure what real arguments are out there against it in light of the economics of it. As for the few who claim it is illegal, please provide the statute in in the United States Code or the SC Code, especially any sections that deal with fuel additives, et cet, since I saw a bunch of posts and threads nothing that states it is explicitly illegal. Thanks.

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

erling66
SuperDieselVan

04-25-2011, 02:58 AM #19
Hi Greazzer

If I understood you correctly, you were driving with a one tank system using Elsbett injectors and upgraded glowplugs?
Did you notice any difference with those injectors comparing with the original ones?
I tried WVO in the stock OM606 injectors using a pop tester(70`F), They did not atomize at all, just sending out a spray of liquid oil.

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
04-25-2011, 02:58 AM #19

Hi Greazzer

If I understood you correctly, you were driving with a one tank system using Elsbett injectors and upgraded glowplugs?
Did you notice any difference with those injectors comparing with the original ones?
I tried WVO in the stock OM606 injectors using a pop tester(70`F), They did not atomize at all, just sending out a spray of liquid oil.

HuhCoolTongue

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-25-2011, 06:24 AM #20
Howdy,

The other way around.

First two years, single tank system.

Third year onward, two tank system with Elsbett.

The Elsbett nozzels were worth it. The upgraded glowplugs from Elsbett were nothing more than the chromium upgrade by Bosch. I believe the real key is the heat exchanger. On the driver's side of the block there is a port for hot coolant that goes to the heater, et cet. I run a "T" off there to the heat exchanger. The WVO goes to the IP at around 180 F. Virtually no smoke.

As for the WVO from the trunk area to the engine, having it warm enough so that you can pump it to the engine is all you need. I have a cheap electric fuel pump for $40.00 that moves it just fine.

Because I just moved my battery, I am moving all the stuff around. Give me about 3-4 weeks and I will get some good Pic's to show you my set-up.

Greazzer
04-25-2011, 06:24 AM #20

Howdy,

The other way around.

First two years, single tank system.

Third year onward, two tank system with Elsbett.

The Elsbett nozzels were worth it. The upgraded glowplugs from Elsbett were nothing more than the chromium upgrade by Bosch. I believe the real key is the heat exchanger. On the driver's side of the block there is a port for hot coolant that goes to the heater, et cet. I run a "T" off there to the heat exchanger. The WVO goes to the IP at around 180 F. Virtually no smoke.

As for the WVO from the trunk area to the engine, having it warm enough so that you can pump it to the engine is all you need. I have a cheap electric fuel pump for $40.00 that moves it just fine.

Because I just moved my battery, I am moving all the stuff around. Give me about 3-4 weeks and I will get some good Pic's to show you my set-up.

SuperturboCozzy
Naturally-aspirated

04-29-2011, 05:45 PM #21
Clean oil is a must, either a gang of filters, cold upflow or the best Centrifuge! Clean is one thing but the most important is dewatered also, which the centrifuge and a heated barrel can achieve by flash evaporation and teh centrifuge can contain approx 4 oz that can be captured at shut down. I wouldnt run it straight, but a blend of 60% veg, 30% diesel 10% gas works in pretty much all climates. Hotter climates i could see a 80% v, 20% diesel work also.
SuperturboCozzy
04-29-2011, 05:45 PM #21

Clean oil is a must, either a gang of filters, cold upflow or the best Centrifuge! Clean is one thing but the most important is dewatered also, which the centrifuge and a heated barrel can achieve by flash evaporation and teh centrifuge can contain approx 4 oz that can be captured at shut down. I wouldnt run it straight, but a blend of 60% veg, 30% diesel 10% gas works in pretty much all climates. Hotter climates i could see a 80% v, 20% diesel work also.

larsalan
Superturbo

04-29-2011, 05:59 PM #22
Why gas? Use kero instead.

larsalan
04-29-2011, 05:59 PM #22

Why gas? Use kero instead.

SuperturboCozzy
Naturally-aspirated

04-29-2011, 06:25 PM #23
kero is thinner, but alot more $$.
SuperturboCozzy
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM #23

kero is thinner, but alot more $$.

larsalan
Superturbo

04-29-2011, 07:36 PM #24
and higher cetane than gas

larsalan
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM #24

and higher cetane than gas

erling66
SuperDieselVan

04-30-2011, 04:04 AM #25
I go to workshops and ask if they have some gas/diesel mix that they have drained from cars where the owner filled the wrong fuel at the fuel station. They are often happy to give this away for free, and it works great with WVO. You don't really know the percentage of the gas/diesel mix, but that doesn't really matter if you only use 20% of itSmile

I tried RUG and kero. RUG works best for me. You are not supposed to put RUG in a diesel engine but the very good lubricity of WVO makes it possible. RUG will lower the cetane number but I have not noticed any problems when I drive. Below 10 degrees C, it will not start without a pre heater. I use a 220v electric coolant heater.

HuhCoolTongue
erling66
04-30-2011, 04:04 AM #25

I go to workshops and ask if they have some gas/diesel mix that they have drained from cars where the owner filled the wrong fuel at the fuel station. They are often happy to give this away for free, and it works great with WVO. You don't really know the percentage of the gas/diesel mix, but that doesn't really matter if you only use 20% of itSmile

I tried RUG and kero. RUG works best for me. You are not supposed to put RUG in a diesel engine but the very good lubricity of WVO makes it possible. RUG will lower the cetane number but I have not noticed any problems when I drive. Below 10 degrees C, it will not start without a pre heater. I use a 220v electric coolant heater.

HuhCoolTongue

z!!!
Naturally-aspirated

05-03-2011, 04:14 PM #26
What do y'all think about this filter?

I'm going to build my own housing for it.... They have this filter up to 200 microns

http://www.usabluebook.com/p-301038-bag-...8long.aspx
z!!!
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM #26

What do y'all think about this filter?

I'm going to build my own housing for it.... They have this filter up to 200 microns

http://www.usabluebook.com/p-301038-bag-...8long.aspx

larsalan
Superturbo

05-03-2011, 04:26 PM #27
I am an amateur at filtering oil but...

I would say those do about as good of a job as a screen from a window. I think you should just use a screen then follow up with some sort of fuel/oil filter that recirculates your oil. Or a centrifuge.

larsalan
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM #27

I am an amateur at filtering oil but...

I would say those do about as good of a job as a screen from a window. I think you should just use a screen then follow up with some sort of fuel/oil filter that recirculates your oil. Or a centrifuge.

Greazzer
Superturbo

05-04-2011, 06:32 AM #28
Here is my contribution after 3+ years of filtering WVO. I suggest getting a few 55 clean steel drums. Turn them up-side-down and cut the bottom off. I put some fittings on the bottom, 3/4 and the 1 12" (I think). As for the 3/4", create a "sump" by threading the black steel pipe up about 2". I have a 200 micron filter from Northern Tool that is designed to fit over a 55 gallon drum. I pour in about 30-40 gallons. I have a $8 hot water tank 1,500 watt heating element. I drop that in, but do not let it touch the bottom or sides. I have the drum wrapped in fiberglass insulation. I heat the WVO until it hits 180-200 F. I let it cool down and sit. Time and gravity are near the best bet, letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. I then spin it thru a centrifuge, 6-8 hours at 180 F. The WVO is very light brown, crystal clear and no water. There is no comparision to any filter out there. I tried 1 micron nominal bags, et cet., but after spinning it thru a centrifuge, it is perfectly clear, so that you can read standard print thru it. I put a glass jar with about 1 pint of purified WVO outside for about a year. Absolutely no slime, sediment, or anything. Just let it sit in the sun to see what happened. It remained perfect. There are a zillion of set-ups, but I do believe you will need some space to set up a few drums, and the key is getting purified WVO. My system works, it is very simple, and it cost almost nothing except for the centrifuge set-up.

Greazzer
05-04-2011, 06:32 AM #28

Here is my contribution after 3+ years of filtering WVO. I suggest getting a few 55 clean steel drums. Turn them up-side-down and cut the bottom off. I put some fittings on the bottom, 3/4 and the 1 12" (I think). As for the 3/4", create a "sump" by threading the black steel pipe up about 2". I have a 200 micron filter from Northern Tool that is designed to fit over a 55 gallon drum. I pour in about 30-40 gallons. I have a $8 hot water tank 1,500 watt heating element. I drop that in, but do not let it touch the bottom or sides. I have the drum wrapped in fiberglass insulation. I heat the WVO until it hits 180-200 F. I let it cool down and sit. Time and gravity are near the best bet, letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. I then spin it thru a centrifuge, 6-8 hours at 180 F. The WVO is very light brown, crystal clear and no water. There is no comparision to any filter out there. I tried 1 micron nominal bags, et cet., but after spinning it thru a centrifuge, it is perfectly clear, so that you can read standard print thru it. I put a glass jar with about 1 pint of purified WVO outside for about a year. Absolutely no slime, sediment, or anything. Just let it sit in the sun to see what happened. It remained perfect. There are a zillion of set-ups, but I do believe you will need some space to set up a few drums, and the key is getting purified WVO. My system works, it is very simple, and it cost almost nothing except for the centrifuge set-up.

z!!!
Naturally-aspirated

05-04-2011, 07:28 AM #29
(05-04-2011, 06:32 AM)Greazzer Here is my contribution after 3+ years of filtering WVO. I suggest getting a few 55 clean steel drums. Turn them up-side-down and cut the bottom off. I put some fittings on the bottom, 3/4 and the 1 12" (I think). As for the 3/4", create a "sump" by threading the black steel pipe up about 2". I have a 200 micron filter from Northern Tool that is designed to fit over a 55 gallon drum. I pour in about 30-40 gallons. I have a $8 hot water tank 1,500 watt heating element. I drop that in, but do not let it touch the bottom or sides. I have the drum wrapped in fiberglass insulation. I heat the WVO until it hits 180-200 F. I let it cool down and sit. Time and gravity are near the best bet, letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. I then spin it thru a centrifuge, 6-8 hours at 180 F. The WVO is very light brown, crystal clear and no water. There is no comparision to any filter out there. I tried 1 micron nominal bags, et cet., but after spinning it thru a centrifuge, it is perfectly clear, so that you can read standard print thru it. I put a glass jar with about 1 pint of purified WVO outside for about a year. Absolutely no slime, sediment, or anything. Just let it sit in the sun to see what happened. It remained perfect. There are a zillion of set-ups, but I do believe you will need some space to set up a few drums, and the key is getting purified WVO. My system works, it is very simple, and it cost almost nothing except for the centrifuge set-up.

Can you send me some detailed pictures of your centerfuge I dont have the kind of money it takes to buy one but I bet I could build one if I had a very good look at it
z!!!
05-04-2011, 07:28 AM #29

(05-04-2011, 06:32 AM)Greazzer Here is my contribution after 3+ years of filtering WVO. I suggest getting a few 55 clean steel drums. Turn them up-side-down and cut the bottom off. I put some fittings on the bottom, 3/4 and the 1 12" (I think). As for the 3/4", create a "sump" by threading the black steel pipe up about 2". I have a 200 micron filter from Northern Tool that is designed to fit over a 55 gallon drum. I pour in about 30-40 gallons. I have a $8 hot water tank 1,500 watt heating element. I drop that in, but do not let it touch the bottom or sides. I have the drum wrapped in fiberglass insulation. I heat the WVO until it hits 180-200 F. I let it cool down and sit. Time and gravity are near the best bet, letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. I then spin it thru a centrifuge, 6-8 hours at 180 F. The WVO is very light brown, crystal clear and no water. There is no comparision to any filter out there. I tried 1 micron nominal bags, et cet., but after spinning it thru a centrifuge, it is perfectly clear, so that you can read standard print thru it. I put a glass jar with about 1 pint of purified WVO outside for about a year. Absolutely no slime, sediment, or anything. Just let it sit in the sun to see what happened. It remained perfect. There are a zillion of set-ups, but I do believe you will need some space to set up a few drums, and the key is getting purified WVO. My system works, it is very simple, and it cost almost nothing except for the centrifuge set-up.

Can you send me some detailed pictures of your centerfuge I dont have the kind of money it takes to buy one but I bet I could build one if I had a very good look at it

Greazzer
Superturbo

05-04-2011, 12:29 PM #30
Sure, no problem. I will try tonight to take care of it. PABiodiesel sells the entire set-up for under $500.00. The oil drums, et cet can be found usually for free, plus odds and ends for under $20.00, e.g., hot water tank heater, hose, et cet. Two full drums will pay for itself at $4.00+ per gallon of #2.

Greazzer
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM #30

Sure, no problem. I will try tonight to take care of it. PABiodiesel sells the entire set-up for under $500.00. The oil drums, et cet can be found usually for free, plus odds and ends for under $20.00, e.g., hot water tank heater, hose, et cet. Two full drums will pay for itself at $4.00+ per gallon of #2.

Greazzer
Superturbo

05-30-2011, 09:21 PM #31
Here are some pic's of my set-up. Nothing very fancy. I have 3 drums (free), one for straining, one for the centrifuge, and one for storage. My WVO comes out very clean, no water, sub-micron purified. I run it for hours, 20-30 gallons, at about 1 gallon per minute, so after 8 hours, that would be 16 passes. The heater cost less than $25.00, that is for heating element, pipe, and valves. Tried sending this as a PM to CJCosta, but I couldn't figure out how to upload pictures.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM #31

Here are some pic's of my set-up. Nothing very fancy. I have 3 drums (free), one for straining, one for the centrifuge, and one for storage. My WVO comes out very clean, no water, sub-micron purified. I run it for hours, 20-30 gallons, at about 1 gallon per minute, so after 8 hours, that would be 16 passes. The heater cost less than $25.00, that is for heating element, pipe, and valves. Tried sending this as a PM to CJCosta, but I couldn't figure out how to upload pictures.

Attached Files
Image(s)

saburai
Naturally-aspirated

05-31-2011, 06:30 AM #32
Good info! Subscribed...
saburai
05-31-2011, 06:30 AM #32

Good info! Subscribed...

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

08-29-2011, 12:46 PM #33
Just in case... i tried pabiodiesel.com and it doesn't work. I googled it and pabiodieselsupply.com appears to be the correct link. Just FYI for anybody looking for this setup as I was.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
08-29-2011, 12:46 PM #33

Just in case... i tried pabiodiesel.com and it doesn't work. I googled it and pabiodieselsupply.com appears to be the correct link. Just FYI for anybody looking for this setup as I was.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

Greazzer
Superturbo

08-29-2011, 01:03 PM #34
Sorry about that ....

Greazzer
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM #34

Sorry about that ....

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average