STD Tuning Engine OM603 TURBO

OM603 TURBO

OM603 TURBO

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ducos
HX35

03-25-2011, 10:34 PM #1
I have bought a Garret GT28RS. Is the HP range the same for gasoline as diesel? can i use this turbo up to 350hp ? its a dual ball bearing turbo.

I have read many threads about too small turbine housing. So im wondering if this will be a good upgrade towards the KKK turbo.

Smile
Ducos
03-25-2011, 10:34 PM #1

I have bought a Garret GT28RS. Is the HP range the same for gasoline as diesel? can i use this turbo up to 350hp ? its a dual ball bearing turbo.

I have read many threads about too small turbine housing. So im wondering if this will be a good upgrade towards the KKK turbo.

Smile

tomnik
Holset

03-26-2011, 12:33 AM #2
does not sound too far away.
If it takes you up to 350 hp? Depends on the pump and other mods.
It might get too small for that target. Ball bearing and good pump will reduce the turbo lag.
(we can compare our result as soon as my new EFR-BorgWarner charger is in together with my Suomi-Floyd pump) Big Grin

Tom

(03-25-2011, 10:34 PM)Ducos I have bought a Garret GT28RS. Is the HP range the same for gasoline as diesel? can i use this turbo up to 350hp ? its a dual ball bearing turbo.

Smile

tomnik
03-26-2011, 12:33 AM #2

does not sound too far away.
If it takes you up to 350 hp? Depends on the pump and other mods.
It might get too small for that target. Ball bearing and good pump will reduce the turbo lag.
(we can compare our result as soon as my new EFR-BorgWarner charger is in together with my Suomi-Floyd pump) Big Grin

Tom

(03-25-2011, 10:34 PM)Ducos I have bought a Garret GT28RS. Is the HP range the same for gasoline as diesel? can i use this turbo up to 350hp ? its a dual ball bearing turbo.

Smile

muuris
OM605

03-26-2011, 02:24 AM #3
IDI diesels need much more air for same power as petrol. Just look at compressor maps, you'll find that turbo is good for 250hp tops in OM603.

GT28RS compressor exducer = 60mm

For 350hp, you'll want it to be at least 70mm. GT3071R and upwards. Exhaust housing big enough so you don't get too much backpressure eating the power and making heat.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM by muuris.
muuris
03-26-2011, 02:24 AM #3

IDI diesels need much more air for same power as petrol. Just look at compressor maps, you'll find that turbo is good for 250hp tops in OM603.

GT28RS compressor exducer = 60mm

For 350hp, you'll want it to be at least 70mm. GT3071R and upwards. Exhaust housing big enough so you don't get too much backpressure eating the power and making heat.

Ducos
HX35

03-26-2011, 03:28 AM #4
Thats what i thought. The exhaust intake is smaller than the KKK(newer tecnoligy?) But the turbine wheel is bigger. It has a 3 inch compressor intake. Think it can push much air. But i was afraid that the EGTs might get a little big high. I'm having a hard time finding gauges where i lie in norway. We have a shop called Biltema. They sell EGT gauges. But it is digital. I want analog gsuges in my car. Just ordered a 2.5 tacho from germany, because mine is broken. So i have oilpressure gauge originaly. Any tips where
I can find some cool but not showoff gauges? Also i wonder if the IP timing is something who needs to be adjusted after some years? Feels like my engine isnt eating all the air it gets. -Ducos
Ducos
03-26-2011, 03:28 AM #4

Thats what i thought. The exhaust intake is smaller than the KKK(newer tecnoligy?) But the turbine wheel is bigger. It has a 3 inch compressor intake. Think it can push much air. But i was afraid that the EGTs might get a little big high. I'm having a hard time finding gauges where i lie in norway. We have a shop called Biltema. They sell EGT gauges. But it is digital. I want analog gsuges in my car. Just ordered a 2.5 tacho from germany, because mine is broken. So i have oilpressure gauge originaly. Any tips where
I can find some cool but not showoff gauges? Also i wonder if the IP timing is something who needs to be adjusted after some years? Feels like my engine isnt eating all the air it gets. -Ducos

erling66
SuperDieselVan

03-26-2011, 05:48 AM #5
(03-26-2011, 03:28 AM)Ducos Thats what i thought. The exhaust intake is smaller than the KKK(newer tecnoligy?) But the turbine wheel is bigger. It has a 3 inch compressor intake. Think it can push much air. But i was afraid that the EGTs might get a little big high. I'm having a hard time finding gauges where i lie in norway. We have a shop called Biltema. They sell EGT gauges. But it is digital. I want analog gsuges in my car. Just ordered a 2.5 tacho from germany, because mine is broken. So i have oilpressure gauge originaly. Any tips where

Hi
It looks like you misunderstood what Muuris wrote. Your compressor is too small, but your exhaust is big enough.
3 inch compressor intake does not mean so much as the dia of the compressor wheel. With that small wheel you won't get 350hp.
Also keep in mind that a big turbo will give you more air but you will also need more fuel to get more hp(bigger elements in your pump)

A lot of the stuff they sell at Biltema is junk. Torshov(in Norway) is ok but expensive. try an Ebay search and you will probably find good stuff for the best price.
erling66
03-26-2011, 05:48 AM #5

(03-26-2011, 03:28 AM)Ducos Thats what i thought. The exhaust intake is smaller than the KKK(newer tecnoligy?) But the turbine wheel is bigger. It has a 3 inch compressor intake. Think it can push much air. But i was afraid that the EGTs might get a little big high. I'm having a hard time finding gauges where i lie in norway. We have a shop called Biltema. They sell EGT gauges. But it is digital. I want analog gsuges in my car. Just ordered a 2.5 tacho from germany, because mine is broken. So i have oilpressure gauge originaly. Any tips where

Hi
It looks like you misunderstood what Muuris wrote. Your compressor is too small, but your exhaust is big enough.
3 inch compressor intake does not mean so much as the dia of the compressor wheel. With that small wheel you won't get 350hp.
Also keep in mind that a big turbo will give you more air but you will also need more fuel to get more hp(bigger elements in your pump)

A lot of the stuff they sell at Biltema is junk. Torshov(in Norway) is ok but expensive. try an Ebay search and you will probably find good stuff for the best price.

Ducos
HX35

03-26-2011, 06:27 AM #6
(03-26-2011, 05:48 AM)erling66

Hi

I dont plan buying biltema gauges. I want analog gauges with a needle. Not some flashy bling gauges. I plan bigger elements, but first i want the engine to work 100%. Its a GT2871 or something. With the big compressor. It feels like the engine isnt eating all the air it gets, the 2.5turbo is faster than the 3.0 turbo. Dont make sence in the same car :-(
This post was last modified: 03-26-2011, 06:57 AM by Ducos.
Ducos
03-26-2011, 06:27 AM #6

(03-26-2011, 05:48 AM)erling66

Hi

I dont plan buying biltema gauges. I want analog gauges with a needle. Not some flashy bling gauges. I plan bigger elements, but first i want the engine to work 100%. Its a GT2871 or something. With the big compressor. It feels like the engine isnt eating all the air it gets, the 2.5turbo is faster than the 3.0 turbo. Dont make sence in the same car :-(

erling66
SuperDieselVan

03-26-2011, 01:23 PM #7
"Its a GT2871 or something" Take a few photos of your turbo. I am sure someone here can tell you which turbo you have
erling66
03-26-2011, 01:23 PM #7

"Its a GT2871 or something" Take a few photos of your turbo. I am sure someone here can tell you which turbo you have

Ducos
HX35

03-27-2011, 02:38 AM #8
(03-26-2011, 01:23 PM)erling66 "Its a GT2871 or something" Take a few photos of your turbo. I am sure someone here can tell you which turbo you have

My point is that the wxhaust housing is "the" gt28rs. And its the one with a larger compressor housing. 3inch compressor intake. The stock KKK got a larger exhaust intake on the turbo. But anyway will this be a better swap? The wxhaust turbine on the garret is larger.
Ducos
03-27-2011, 02:38 AM #8

(03-26-2011, 01:23 PM)erling66 "Its a GT2871 or something" Take a few photos of your turbo. I am sure someone here can tell you which turbo you have

My point is that the wxhaust housing is "the" gt28rs. And its the one with a larger compressor housing. 3inch compressor intake. The stock KKK got a larger exhaust intake on the turbo. But anyway will this be a better swap? The wxhaust turbine on the garret is larger.

Ducos
HX35

04-28-2011, 04:34 PM #9
hey guys, i measured the Compressor wheel. its 70mm Smile
Ducos
04-28-2011, 04:34 PM #9

hey guys, i measured the Compressor wheel. its 70mm Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average