STD Maintenance General No fuel coming to prefilter. Primer pump not pumping

No fuel coming to prefilter. Primer pump not pumping

No fuel coming to prefilter. Primer pump not pumping

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EuroBenz
Naturally-aspirated

06-15-2011, 05:06 PM #1
Hey, is there a fuel pump in the/by the tank that supposed to feed the prefilter and so on? I crank engine and it starts but shuts off right away. I found the hose between prefilter and ip primer cracked and replaced it. Took the air out of lines. It seems there's no fuel flow from tank. I added diesel with gas can to the tank. Still nothing. What controls the flow from tank? I hit the primer pump a gazilion times and no resistance felt. Maybe it's time to find another hobby?

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD with a 1978 (I think) 300D engine
1980 Mercedes-Benz 300TD with 60K miles that came included with rust
EuroBenz
06-15-2011, 05:06 PM #1

Hey, is there a fuel pump in the/by the tank that supposed to feed the prefilter and so on? I crank engine and it starts but shuts off right away. I found the hose between prefilter and ip primer cracked and replaced it. Took the air out of lines. It seems there's no fuel flow from tank. I added diesel with gas can to the tank. Still nothing. What controls the flow from tank? I hit the primer pump a gazilion times and no resistance felt. Maybe it's time to find another hobby?

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD with a 1978 (I think) 300D engine
1980 Mercedes-Benz 300TD with 60K miles that came included with rust

w123love
Stockish

07-30-2011, 11:32 PM #2
It looks like your tank strainer could be completely plugged up in the fuel tank. It is about 4 inches tall and simply blocks the big chunks from getting to the pre-filter. My personal test for this is to blow air back in the “tank send” line to see if it is possible to blow the blockage out. If that is successful, it will merely be a temporary solution until you clean the tank and the strainer.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
07-30-2011, 11:32 PM #2

It looks like your tank strainer could be completely plugged up in the fuel tank. It is about 4 inches tall and simply blocks the big chunks from getting to the pre-filter. My personal test for this is to blow air back in the “tank send” line to see if it is possible to blow the blockage out. If that is successful, it will merely be a temporary solution until you clean the tank and the strainer.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion

The VEGEWGN

larsalan
Superturbo

07-31-2011, 06:23 AM #3
So, if you reverse the supply/return line connections in the engine bay you'll be sucking fuel from about 3 gallons up in the tank and pushing excess fuel back through the presumably clogged strainer. Then some of that gunk will come to the prefilter and get stuck there.
Pushing the primer pump a gazillion times is normal Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-31-2011, 06:23 AM #3

So, if you reverse the supply/return line connections in the engine bay you'll be sucking fuel from about 3 gallons up in the tank and pushing excess fuel back through the presumably clogged strainer. Then some of that gunk will come to the prefilter and get stuck there.
Pushing the primer pump a gazillion times is normal Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

w123love
Stockish

09-14-2011, 12:39 PM #4
(07-31-2011, 06:23 AM)larsalan Pushing the primer pump a gazillion times is normal Wink

Then you start getting strange looks in the parking lot of Target or on the side of the freeway because it looks like we are jerking off our IP’s...

The VEGEWGN
w123love
09-14-2011, 12:39 PM #4

(07-31-2011, 06:23 AM)larsalan Pushing the primer pump a gazillion times is normal Wink

Then you start getting strange looks in the parking lot of Target or on the side of the freeway because it looks like we are jerking off our IP’s...

The VEGEWGN

Biohazard
Smokin like a champ!

09-14-2011, 09:24 PM #5
Hahaha! Sad but true. I've ran into this on my car, all the way from Texas to Washington actually. I found that loosening the fuel cap and blowing backwards from the prefilter to the tank would let me drive for a couple hundred feet or miles, depending on how hard I blew into it. Lots of fun in BFE Kansas in the middle of the night. Try blowing air backwards just to side if it will let your car start and stay running. If it does, run it as low as possible then change the tank screen. I think the screen, o ring, new hose, etc is around thirty bucks. It is just above the right inner cv joint. Have a drain pan handy, its a messy job but well worth it. Good luck!

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 
Biohazard
09-14-2011, 09:24 PM #5

Hahaha! Sad but true. I've ran into this on my car, all the way from Texas to Washington actually. I found that loosening the fuel cap and blowing backwards from the prefilter to the tank would let me drive for a couple hundred feet or miles, depending on how hard I blew into it. Lots of fun in BFE Kansas in the middle of the night. Try blowing air backwards just to side if it will let your car start and stay running. If it does, run it as low as possible then change the tank screen. I think the screen, o ring, new hose, etc is around thirty bucks. It is just above the right inner cv joint. Have a drain pan handy, its a messy job but well worth it. Good luck!

82 300SD aka The Flyin Pumpkin (Gone): 7.5mm super M-pump, T3 60 trim turbo, Coldish air intake, A/W intercooler, propane injection, SW Boost and EGT gauges, Monark 265 nozzles, ported/polished cylinder head.

84 Euro 300D 4 sp: White with black trunk and hood. Blue cloth interior. Manual everything. 300DT front swaybar. C320 17" wheels. Now with the Flyin Pumpkins engine! 

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average