STD Other FS / WTB / Buying guides Appraisal 240D

Appraisal 240D

Appraisal 240D

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-14-2011, 12:06 AM #1
hey, I like my 240D but it was never the car i wanted to buy. I prefer a TDI and i would like to sell my 240D but first i would like to know how much i can get for it

I recently replaced all 4 shocks
4 New bosio injector nozzles
ive only used synthetic oil
2 new tires in the back.
New Radio (original blaupunkt is in my house)
2 new front speakers
and its got 203,546 miles right now
Also It has a wvo system installed.

just give me a rough estimate on what you think.

EDIT: I forgot the year, its a 1979 4spd
This post was last modified: 10-14-2011, 12:09 AM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
10-14-2011, 12:06 AM #1

hey, I like my 240D but it was never the car i wanted to buy. I prefer a TDI and i would like to sell my 240D but first i would like to know how much i can get for it

I recently replaced all 4 shocks
4 New bosio injector nozzles
ive only used synthetic oil
2 new tires in the back.
New Radio (original blaupunkt is in my house)
2 new front speakers
and its got 203,546 miles right now
Also It has a wvo system installed.

just give me a rough estimate on what you think.

EDIT: I forgot the year, its a 1979 4spd

MTUPower
looking for more power on a daily driver

10-14-2011, 09:26 PM #2
Is it rusty? Is the paint in good shape? Is the interior in good shape? Is the front end in good shape? Those are the things which will determine sales prices in differing locations.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's
MTUPower
10-14-2011, 09:26 PM #2

Is it rusty? Is the paint in good shape? Is the interior in good shape? Is the front end in good shape? Those are the things which will determine sales prices in differing locations.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-15-2011, 12:29 AM #3
(10-14-2011, 09:26 PM)MTUPower Is it rusty? Is the paint in good shape? Is the interior in good shape? Is the front end in good shape? Those are the things which will determine sales prices in differing locations.

oh man, im so dumb! i forgot the most important things about these cars. The car is rust free, no rust on the bottom, no rust in the wheel whells. The body of the car is in excellent shape, with the expection of one very small ding in the back. Its an onion yellow colour. The interior is in good shape as well, one small crack in the dash and the back seat needs to be re fluffed if you will but im going to do that while i have the car. No front end damage.

Im just looking for a ball park estimate. I got totally ripped off with this car (you live and you learn) so im never going to make my money back
Purplecomputer
10-15-2011, 12:29 AM #3

(10-14-2011, 09:26 PM)MTUPower Is it rusty? Is the paint in good shape? Is the interior in good shape? Is the front end in good shape? Those are the things which will determine sales prices in differing locations.

oh man, im so dumb! i forgot the most important things about these cars. The car is rust free, no rust on the bottom, no rust in the wheel whells. The body of the car is in excellent shape, with the expection of one very small ding in the back. Its an onion yellow colour. The interior is in good shape as well, one small crack in the dash and the back seat needs to be re fluffed if you will but im going to do that while i have the car. No front end damage.

Im just looking for a ball park estimate. I got totally ripped off with this car (you live and you learn) so im never going to make my money back

aaa
GT2256V

10-15-2011, 06:33 AM #4
$2-3000. Depending on its condition. And the WVO would be seen as a plus or minus depending on who you're selling to.
aaa
10-15-2011, 06:33 AM #4

$2-3000. Depending on its condition. And the WVO would be seen as a plus or minus depending on who you're selling to.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-15-2011, 09:23 AM #5
(10-15-2011, 06:33 AM)aaa $2-3000. Depending on its condition. And the WVO would be seen as a plus or minus depending on who you're selling to.

Definitely a PLUS or MINUS!

Purest Benz owners - a $1000 -$2000 reduction.

For the uninformed or Grease lovers. Asking price.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-15-2011, 09:23 AM #5

(10-15-2011, 06:33 AM)aaa $2-3000. Depending on its condition. And the WVO would be seen as a plus or minus depending on who you're selling to.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-15-2011, 02:06 PM #6
(10-15-2011, 09:23 AM)DeliveryValve

well im the second owner. I would deffinatley see it as a plus and im going to be catering the car and selling it towards a greaser community. The kit can be removed very easily and no traces are left of it. I would preferable want to it remove it and use it in a different car. Im going to do some more work and sell it in about two to three months.
Purplecomputer
10-15-2011, 02:06 PM #6

(10-15-2011, 09:23 AM)DeliveryValve

well im the second owner. I would deffinatley see it as a plus and im going to be catering the car and selling it towards a greaser community. The kit can be removed very easily and no traces are left of it. I would preferable want to it remove it and use it in a different car. Im going to do some more work and sell it in about two to three months.

JB3
Superturbo

10-15-2011, 08:29 PM #7
what kind of VO kit are we talking about here? That might affect the decision for a VO guy too.

Depending on the quality of the installation job and the intelligence of how the system is designed, could be a big plus or minus, as said before.

If you have something really nicely put in, and well conceived, thats not very easy to remove, would be worth way more to a guy like me than something thats easy to remove, but hacked into the car in the first place. Big Grin

This post was last modified: 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM by JB3.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
10-15-2011, 08:29 PM #7

what kind of VO kit are we talking about here? That might affect the decision for a VO guy too.

Depending on the quality of the installation job and the intelligence of how the system is designed, could be a big plus or minus, as said before.

If you have something really nicely put in, and well conceived, thats not very easy to remove, would be worth way more to a guy like me than something thats easy to remove, but hacked into the car in the first place. Big Grin

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-16-2011, 05:29 PM #8
(10-15-2011, 08:29 PM)dropnosky what kind of VO kit are we talking about here? That might affect the decision for a VO guy too.

its not hacked into the car, i dunno why but i have a feeling everyone on this forum treats me like an idiot just cause i ask a few questions on my car.
Purplecomputer
10-16-2011, 05:29 PM #8

(10-15-2011, 08:29 PM)dropnosky what kind of VO kit are we talking about here? That might affect the decision for a VO guy too.

its not hacked into the car, i dunno why but i have a feeling everyone on this forum treats me like an idiot just cause i ask a few questions on my car.

DanielK
Big Plans, No Clue

10-16-2011, 05:31 PM #9
Thats not true at all. We are trying to get as much info beforehand so that we can help you more. We banned the only asshole on this site. Smile

[Image: FalkonSig.png]
DanielK
10-16-2011, 05:31 PM #9

Thats not true at all. We are trying to get as much info beforehand so that we can help you more. We banned the only asshole on this site. Smile

[Image: FalkonSig.png]

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-16-2011, 05:43 PM #10
(10-16-2011, 05:31 PM)DanielK Thats not true at all. We are trying to get as much info beforehand so that we can help you more. We banned the only asshole on this site. Smile

I guess i owe you guys an apology. Im just not very happy with this car.

I was actually planning to remove the wvo system anyway as I would like to put it in my future car. The car will not be 100 percent original but in the engine bay it will look like it was never installed, unfortunately in the trunk i had to remove the spare tire anchor to fit the tank

I am planning on asking about 3,500 for the car after i prep it up for sale, fix/align the door strickers, tire balance, have it detailed to the very last spot, ya know just make sure everything is ready to go so the new owner can just enjoy it.
Purplecomputer
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM #10

(10-16-2011, 05:31 PM)DanielK Thats not true at all. We are trying to get as much info beforehand so that we can help you more. We banned the only asshole on this site. Smile

I guess i owe you guys an apology. Im just not very happy with this car.

I was actually planning to remove the wvo system anyway as I would like to put it in my future car. The car will not be 100 percent original but in the engine bay it will look like it was never installed, unfortunately in the trunk i had to remove the spare tire anchor to fit the tank

I am planning on asking about 3,500 for the car after i prep it up for sale, fix/align the door strickers, tire balance, have it detailed to the very last spot, ya know just make sure everything is ready to go so the new owner can just enjoy it.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-16-2011, 05:56 PM #11
some of you guys operate in a different world, I would never imagine spending more that say $1600 on a w123/300d
I'm not saying there aren't some that are worth that. Just that I think a great car can be had for under $1600.
Trying to sell a 'classic mbz' for a price like that I would make sure no one knew it was a grease car.
Aren't all greasers pretty much cheapskates? I mean they are going to such great lengths just to avoid the pump/taxes. I couldn't imagine that crowd looking for a car higher up on the price list.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-16-2011, 05:56 PM #11

some of you guys operate in a different world, I would never imagine spending more that say $1600 on a w123/300d
I'm not saying there aren't some that are worth that. Just that I think a great car can be had for under $1600.
Trying to sell a 'classic mbz' for a price like that I would make sure no one knew it was a grease car.
Aren't all greasers pretty much cheapskates? I mean they are going to such great lengths just to avoid the pump/taxes. I couldn't imagine that crowd looking for a car higher up on the price list.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-16-2011, 06:33 PM #12
(10-16-2011, 05:56 PM)larsalan some of you guys operate in a different world, I would never imagine spending more that say $1600 on a w123/300d

you have good points. Ill keep that in mind

EDIT: I just thought about what you said, At that price it dosnt even make sense to sell my car.

Im going to be honest with you guys and please dont laugh at me as I am pretty embarrassed at what i paid for the car. I paid 3,400 for it and already did all this work to it. Should i just turbo it and run it down to the ground while I save up for my dream car??

This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM #12

(10-16-2011, 05:56 PM)larsalan some of you guys operate in a different world, I would never imagine spending more that say $1600 on a w123/300d

you have good points. Ill keep that in mind

EDIT: I just thought about what you said, At that price it dosnt even make sense to sell my car.

Im going to be honest with you guys and please dont laugh at me as I am pretty embarrassed at what i paid for the car. I paid 3,400 for it and already did all this work to it. Should i just turbo it and run it down to the ground while I save up for my dream car??

JB3
Superturbo

10-16-2011, 11:09 PM #13
(10-16-2011, 05:29 PM)Purplecomputer

No offense was intended. There are some crappy systems out there, and some really nice ones is all I meant. For example, lovecraft systems are advertised as being super easy to remove and install, but they are pretty ill concieved single tank setups that would tell the buyer what the car may have been through.

Depending on the system you could get top dollar though. I sold a triple tank vo 300d with 350 or 360k miles on it for 5 grand. I don't think your price is overly unreasonable, problem you might run into is that lots of vo guys are diy type people, you need to find a buyer who isn't diy, and is planning to retire an older vo car

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-16-2011, 11:09 PM #13

(10-16-2011, 05:29 PM)Purplecomputer

No offense was intended. There are some crappy systems out there, and some really nice ones is all I meant. For example, lovecraft systems are advertised as being super easy to remove and install, but they are pretty ill concieved single tank setups that would tell the buyer what the car may have been through.

Depending on the system you could get top dollar though. I sold a triple tank vo 300d with 350 or 360k miles on it for 5 grand. I don't think your price is overly unreasonable, problem you might run into is that lots of vo guys are diy type people, you need to find a buyer who isn't diy, and is planning to retire an older vo car

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

larsalan
Superturbo

10-16-2011, 11:22 PM #14
Maybe it is reasonable at that $3600 price or whatever. I just don't go for tip top cars. A few rips or missing trim pieces are no problem for me. But a garage kept kinda nice paint looking ride must be worth it, to some people. To me it's kinda a means to an ends or utilitarian with style.
As far as selling things goes I always feel you should set your mind on a starting price and lowest price. But don't rush into a sale. If you know what it's worth or what you should get then stick with it till you get it.
This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 11:25 PM by larsalan.

larsalan
10-16-2011, 11:22 PM #14

Maybe it is reasonable at that $3600 price or whatever. I just don't go for tip top cars. A few rips or missing trim pieces are no problem for me. But a garage kept kinda nice paint looking ride must be worth it, to some people. To me it's kinda a means to an ends or utilitarian with style.
As far as selling things goes I always feel you should set your mind on a starting price and lowest price. But don't rush into a sale. If you know what it's worth or what you should get then stick with it till you get it.

JB3
Superturbo

10-17-2011, 07:20 AM #15
(10-16-2011, 05:56 PM)larsalan Aren't all greasers pretty much cheapskates? I mean they are going to such great lengths just to avoid the pump/taxes. I couldn't imagine that crowd looking for a car higher up on the price list.

naa, yeah there are the cheapskates, but there is also the contingent of people who do it for environmental reasons as and for the people who just love the idea of it, and don't save any money. Im in the third group. Big Grin You would not believe how much money I wasted screwing around with gauges and malarky just for the hell of it.

We need some pics of this car purple! I would not be too unhappy about the price you paid, people pay that much for these cars all the time, it really depends on how much of a cream puff it is.

I agree with larsalan, if you intend to market it as a classic mercedes, you might get that price for the right car, but the VO system will cause endless flak for you from a purist, because, frankly, a purist will piss himself with rage if you change the tire size from what was OEM, god forbid putting in an alt fuel system!

This post was last modified: 10-17-2011, 07:23 AM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM #15

(10-16-2011, 05:56 PM)larsalan Aren't all greasers pretty much cheapskates? I mean they are going to such great lengths just to avoid the pump/taxes. I couldn't imagine that crowd looking for a car higher up on the price list.

naa, yeah there are the cheapskates, but there is also the contingent of people who do it for environmental reasons as and for the people who just love the idea of it, and don't save any money. Im in the third group. Big Grin You would not believe how much money I wasted screwing around with gauges and malarky just for the hell of it.

We need some pics of this car purple! I would not be too unhappy about the price you paid, people pay that much for these cars all the time, it really depends on how much of a cream puff it is.

I agree with larsalan, if you intend to market it as a classic mercedes, you might get that price for the right car, but the VO system will cause endless flak for you from a purist, because, frankly, a purist will piss himself with rage if you change the tire size from what was OEM, god forbid putting in an alt fuel system!

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-17-2011, 09:43 AM #16
(10-17-2011, 07:20 AM)dropnosky

I am more then 100 percent at this point deciding to remove the system. Ill take some pictures before i leave for school and maybe this will give you guys an idea of what its actually worth. It does run like a dream with all 65hp. On wvo acceleration is pretty bad but i usually use it for highway, on diesel though i can conquer any hill without much of a problem thanks to my new fuel injectors and mixing the diesel fuel with diesel kleen

Purplecomputer
10-17-2011, 09:43 AM #16

(10-17-2011, 07:20 AM)dropnosky

I am more then 100 percent at this point deciding to remove the system. Ill take some pictures before i leave for school and maybe this will give you guys an idea of what its actually worth. It does run like a dream with all 65hp. On wvo acceleration is pretty bad but i usually use it for highway, on diesel though i can conquer any hill without much of a problem thanks to my new fuel injectors and mixing the diesel fuel with diesel kleen

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-18-2011, 09:58 AM #17
[Image: IMG_20111018_103902.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103922.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103855.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103850.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111018_103926.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103930.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103954.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_104000.jpg]
Purplecomputer
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM #17

[Image: IMG_20111018_103902.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103922.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103855.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103850.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111018_103926.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103930.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_103954.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20111018_104000.jpg]

JB3
Superturbo

10-18-2011, 11:39 AM #18
that thing looks pretty mint! was that polished wood handle in the car originally, or did you get that?

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM #18

that thing looks pretty mint! was that polished wood handle in the car originally, or did you get that?

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-18-2011, 12:14 PM #19
(10-18-2011, 11:39 AM)dropnosky that thing looks pretty mint! was that polished wood handle in the car originally, or did you get that?

thanks! I do need to clean her inside though i bought the handle on ebay for $12. I still have the original shift knob too and the boot was a custom made leather one i also bought off ebay. The original was busted. I still even have the original paperwork from the first owner including manuals.
This post was last modified: 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
10-18-2011, 12:14 PM #19

(10-18-2011, 11:39 AM)dropnosky that thing looks pretty mint! was that polished wood handle in the car originally, or did you get that?

thanks! I do need to clean her inside though i bought the handle on ebay for $12. I still have the original shift knob too and the boot was a custom made leather one i also bought off ebay. The original was busted. I still even have the original paperwork from the first owner including manuals.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-18-2011, 03:57 PM #20
Yeah those kinda cars are worth 3500. But golly do not let people know it ran hundreds of gallons of wvo.

larsalan
10-18-2011, 03:57 PM #20

Yeah those kinda cars are worth 3500. But golly do not let people know it ran hundreds of gallons of wvo.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-18-2011, 04:19 PM #21
(10-18-2011, 03:57 PM)larsalan Yeah those kinda cars are worth 3500. But golly do not let people know it ran hundreds of gallons of wvo.

I am one of those people who believe when done properly, especially when you clean the oil down to one micron and ensure it is water/particle free will not harm the engine.

but i do understand where many of you come from and i will remove the system.

glad you guys like the car
Purplecomputer
10-18-2011, 04:19 PM #21

(10-18-2011, 03:57 PM)larsalan Yeah those kinda cars are worth 3500. But golly do not let people know it ran hundreds of gallons of wvo.

I am one of those people who believe when done properly, especially when you clean the oil down to one micron and ensure it is water/particle free will not harm the engine.

but i do understand where many of you come from and i will remove the system.

glad you guys like the car

ronnie
GT2559V

10-18-2011, 06:33 PM #22
Yes it does look pretty nice. I have 100,000 miles on veggie on my Dodge, no problems.two tank system. Good filtering does make a differance.
ronnie
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM #22

Yes it does look pretty nice. I have 100,000 miles on veggie on my Dodge, no problems.two tank system. Good filtering does make a differance.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-18-2011, 11:48 PM #23
(10-18-2011, 06:33 PM)ronnie Yes it does look pretty nice. I have 100,000 miles on veggie on my Dodge, no problems.two tank system. Good filtering does make a differance.

Two tank systems are the best IMO and i do feel like it would add value to the car depending on which audience im selling too
Purplecomputer
10-18-2011, 11:48 PM #23

(10-18-2011, 06:33 PM)ronnie Yes it does look pretty nice. I have 100,000 miles on veggie on my Dodge, no problems.two tank system. Good filtering does make a differance.

Two tank systems are the best IMO and i do feel like it would add value to the car depending on which audience im selling too

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average