STD Other Open Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual

Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual

Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-23-2012, 05:55 PM #1
Ok some by now may know that I have a 240d. I put in a new radiator last weekend..... My goal with that car was to someday get a 617 turbo in it. Alas!!! I found a 300d today with a manual trans conversion and bought it for 1650. I didn't do a compression test because well I didn't. Not much blow by though. Also is was pretty fast started right up etc. So that conversion is done but much else is bad. No emergency brake, doesn't shut off with key, rust, guages dont work, heat ac unit gone, it's kinda a misfit car.

Anybody in chicago? I feel like im on the moon with my hobbies sometimes. Would love to get someone elses eyes involved.

Also 240d for sale in chicago...

here's a crappy picture. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy. It has a goofy cold air intake, stickers that say performance diesel or something. Giant 3+ inch straight pipe exhaust from the turbo back. It came with an extra differential, so without checking I imagine owner took out stock and threw in the 240d differential. Car needs work to be pretty but as is is a car that makes a turbo wooosh, lol at myself....anyhow. The drivetrain is together. Now I get to learn all the other goofiness of mercedes. I've read pleanty of good posts on boosting performance and will be searching again. Anyone got some super easy stuff to do real quick? That's almost rhetorical, i will do my research not to worry.

This thing moves crazy air though, while not the most experienced in these things i do know this thing is moving air like crazy.

Also that friggen oil cooler is huge, now i have to put my summit radiator next to that?!?!?

Attached Files
Image(s)

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
02-23-2012, 05:55 PM #1

Ok some by now may know that I have a 240d. I put in a new radiator last weekend..... My goal with that car was to someday get a 617 turbo in it. Alas!!! I found a 300d today with a manual trans conversion and bought it for 1650. I didn't do a compression test because well I didn't. Not much blow by though. Also is was pretty fast started right up etc. So that conversion is done but much else is bad. No emergency brake, doesn't shut off with key, rust, guages dont work, heat ac unit gone, it's kinda a misfit car.

Anybody in chicago? I feel like im on the moon with my hobbies sometimes. Would love to get someone elses eyes involved.

Also 240d for sale in chicago...

here's a crappy picture. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy. It has a goofy cold air intake, stickers that say performance diesel or something. Giant 3+ inch straight pipe exhaust from the turbo back. It came with an extra differential, so without checking I imagine owner took out stock and threw in the 240d differential. Car needs work to be pretty but as is is a car that makes a turbo wooosh, lol at myself....anyhow. The drivetrain is together. Now I get to learn all the other goofiness of mercedes. I've read pleanty of good posts on boosting performance and will be searching again. Anyone got some super easy stuff to do real quick? That's almost rhetorical, i will do my research not to worry.

This thing moves crazy air though, while not the most experienced in these things i do know this thing is moving air like crazy.

Also that friggen oil cooler is huge, now i have to put my summit radiator next to that?!?!?

Attached Files
Image(s)

larsalan
Superturbo

02-23-2012, 06:14 PM #2
(02-23-2012, 05:55 PM)lgreeley83 Anyone got some super easy stuff to do real quick?

That 3in straight pipe is a good start Wink Helps for moving that air.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM #2

(02-23-2012, 05:55 PM)lgreeley83 Anyone got some super easy stuff to do real quick?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-23-2012, 06:57 PM #3
Lol, feels good to have something that moves air again! My 05 tdi moved air but nowhere near this crazy amount of air.

Insert blowing air icon here.

(02-23-2012, 06:14 PM)larsalan

This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM #3

Lol, feels good to have something that moves air again! My 05 tdi moved air but nowhere near this crazy amount of air.

Insert blowing air icon here.

(02-23-2012, 06:14 PM)larsalan

larsalan
Superturbo

02-23-2012, 07:22 PM #4
why wont the key shut off the car?
have you pulled a vacuum on the shutoff actuator? Have a hand vacuum pump? Or just use your lungs the redneck method.
If that will cut the fuel then at least you know that part is working and you'll just need to make sure the leaks are cut out of the loop.

larsalan
02-23-2012, 07:22 PM #4

why wont the key shut off the car?
have you pulled a vacuum on the shutoff actuator? Have a hand vacuum pump? Or just use your lungs the redneck method.
If that will cut the fuel then at least you know that part is working and you'll just need to make sure the leaks are cut out of the loop.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-23-2012, 08:22 PM #5
Thanks for the tip. I really had no idea where to start. This mercedes diesel passion that i am nurturing is one i plan to have for many years to come. Each time something is messed up i will learn from it. Where is the vacuum actuator?
(02-23-2012, 07:22 PM)larsalan why wont the key shut off the car?

Nevermind. I researched
This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM #5

Thanks for the tip. I really had no idea where to start. This mercedes diesel passion that i am nurturing is one i plan to have for many years to come. Each time something is messed up i will learn from it. Where is the vacuum actuator?

(02-23-2012, 07:22 PM)larsalan why wont the key shut off the car?

Nevermind. I researched

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-25-2012, 05:58 PM #6
Ok so i drove the car 90 miles to get it home. No heat. No powersteering. bald tires. Cold night for sure. Put a power steering belt on today and hooked up a hose to give the car blowjobs to turn it off. Don't know if the vacuum pump is bad or just leaking vacuum lines. There is so much disconnected goofiness about the car. Uploading pictures so you wonderful peoples can give me some insight.

Again I feel lonely here in chicago, anybody nearby with and STD?

Also compression readings are right around 400 in all cylinders with not much blowby. I feel like I got a steal on having a car with 617 turbo and 4 speed manual for 1650$ what are your thoughts on that?

Can I put a EGT sensor in anything blocked off here? Has anyone while plating off the EGR valve set up a EGT through there? I read on that and it didn't look like anyone had. Thoughts?

pictures

This post was last modified: 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-25-2012, 05:58 PM #6

Ok so i drove the car 90 miles to get it home. No heat. No powersteering. bald tires. Cold night for sure. Put a power steering belt on today and hooked up a hose to give the car blowjobs to turn it off. Don't know if the vacuum pump is bad or just leaking vacuum lines. There is so much disconnected goofiness about the car. Uploading pictures so you wonderful peoples can give me some insight.

Again I feel lonely here in chicago, anybody nearby with and STD?

Also compression readings are right around 400 in all cylinders with not much blowby. I feel like I got a steal on having a car with 617 turbo and 4 speed manual for 1650$ what are your thoughts on that?

Can I put a EGT sensor in anything blocked off here? Has anyone while plating off the EGR valve set up a EGT through there? I read on that and it didn't look like anyone had. Thoughts?

pictures

aaa
GT2256V

02-26-2012, 06:07 AM #7
1 is the banjo bolt, presumably the alda was removed so it got capped off.
2 is the wastegate port, looks like the wastegate is disabled. I'd hook that back up.
3 looks like an unimportant temperature sensor
7 was for the automatic transmission vacuum
aaa
02-26-2012, 06:07 AM #7

1 is the banjo bolt, presumably the alda was removed so it got capped off.
2 is the wastegate port, looks like the wastegate is disabled. I'd hook that back up.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-27-2012, 11:37 AM #8
So that banjo bolt i could hook a turbo gauge up to right? Also without in in depth knowledge on how to hook the waste gate back up i wonder is that boost driven? Can i splice that to the banjo bolt as well?
(02-26-2012, 06:07 AM)aaa 1 is the banjo bolt, presumably the alda was removed so it got capped off.

also what are the downsides to no wastegate?
Nevermind the downsides to no wastegate question. Found it.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...+wastegate
This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM #8

So that banjo bolt i could hook a turbo gauge up to right? Also without in in depth knowledge on how to hook the waste gate back up i wonder is that boost driven? Can i splice that to the banjo bolt as well?

(02-26-2012, 06:07 AM)aaa 1 is the banjo bolt, presumably the alda was removed so it got capped off.

also what are the downsides to no wastegate?
Nevermind the downsides to no wastegate question. Found it.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...+wastegate

aaa
GT2256V

02-27-2012, 03:57 PM #9
(02-27-2012, 11:37 AM)lgreeley83 So that banjo bolt i could hook a turbo gauge up to right? Also without in in depth knowledge on how to hook the waste gate back up i wonder is that boost driven? Can i splice that to the banjo bolt as well?

Yes that's a good spot for a boost gauge. Theoretically you can also hook the wastegate to it (it is boost based), but the normal location for that is a fitting on the compressor housing of the turbo.
aaa
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM #9

(02-27-2012, 11:37 AM)lgreeley83 So that banjo bolt i could hook a turbo gauge up to right? Also without in in depth knowledge on how to hook the waste gate back up i wonder is that boost driven? Can i splice that to the banjo bolt as well?

Yes that's a good spot for a boost gauge. Theoretically you can also hook the wastegate to it (it is boost based), but the normal location for that is a fitting on the compressor housing of the turbo.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

02-27-2012, 04:18 PM #10
Does the injection pump have a square thing on top that should be the ALDA? If so the cap at the rear of the Intake manifold has to run to it! It actuates the ALDA! If the ALDA/square thing is missing it should be ok being blocked off It may smoke a little more at idle!

The ALDA reduces smoke at idle by reducing how much fuel the engine gets until turbo boost pressure goes through that line and makes it richen back up to make power under boost

The line on the waste gate should hook up to the intake side of the turbocharger there should be a nipple on the aluminum housing
#4 cant see in your photo? probably oil drain to pan from original air filter? need better pics

#5 junction for starter wiring I believe
#7 old vacuum crap for auto transmission
This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM by willbhere4u.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM #10

Does the injection pump have a square thing on top that should be the ALDA? If so the cap at the rear of the Intake manifold has to run to it! It actuates the ALDA! If the ALDA/square thing is missing it should be ok being blocked off It may smoke a little more at idle!

The ALDA reduces smoke at idle by reducing how much fuel the engine gets until turbo boost pressure goes through that line and makes it richen back up to make power under boost

The line on the waste gate should hook up to the intake side of the turbocharger there should be a nipple on the aluminum housing

#4 cant see in your photo? probably oil drain to pan from original air filter? need better pics

#5 junction for starter wiring I believe
#7 old vacuum crap for auto transmission

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-27-2012, 04:52 PM #11
Just left the part store with a boost gauge and some vacuum line stuff. Get a picture of my ip when i get home.

I read about the downsides of no wastegate. Why would someone want to disable it though?
Thanks again all. Learning a lot here
This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM #11

Just left the part store with a boost gauge and some vacuum line stuff. Get a picture of my ip when i get home.

I read about the downsides of no wastegate. Why would someone want to disable it though?

Thanks again all. Learning a lot here

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-27-2012, 07:18 PM #12
Hooked up the gauge. At wot on flat ground without the wastegate i could get up to 20 psi. I hooked up the wastgate and was getting the same amount of boost. 20 psi boost is high isnt it? Reading around here it seems people are happy to get 12 psi. What have i got here? Pic of the ip in a bit.

lgreeley83
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM #12

Hooked up the gauge. At wot on flat ground without the wastegate i could get up to 20 psi. I hooked up the wastgate and was getting the same amount of boost. 20 psi boost is high isnt it? Reading around here it seems people are happy to get 12 psi. What have i got here? Pic of the ip in a bit.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-28-2012, 08:38 AM #13

Ok So my alda looks different than all the ones I have seen online? What pump do I have?

Screw at #2 is slightly unscrewed.

#3 has moisture on the outside. A hair of a leak what would that be?

lgreeley83
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM #13

Ok So my alda looks different than all the ones I have seen online? What pump do I have?

Screw at #2 is slightly unscrewed.

#3 has moisture on the outside. A hair of a leak what would that be?

aaa
GT2256V

02-28-2012, 04:13 PM #14
It looks like a nonturbo pump.
aaa
02-28-2012, 04:13 PM #14

It looks like a nonturbo pump.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-29-2012, 01:55 AM #15
Block is 617.952

lgreeley83
02-29-2012, 01:55 AM #15

Block is 617.952

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-05-2012, 08:37 AM #16
I havent played with ip settings yet but i get a good black cloud when i floor it and the car is quick. This would be proof of nonturbo pump working on turbo motor. (For whatever reason someone would do that) i only say because ive read opinoins that the pump wont keep up.

Again not a mechanic and.mods to pump are unknown.

lgreeley83
03-05-2012, 08:37 AM #16

I havent played with ip settings yet but i get a good black cloud when i floor it and the car is quick. This would be proof of nonturbo pump working on turbo motor. (For whatever reason someone would do that) i only say because ive read opinoins that the pump wont keep up.

Again not a mechanic and.mods to pump are unknown.

larsalan
Superturbo

03-05-2012, 08:50 AM #17
So, someone added that pump to a turbo motor... A motor where they have a new intake and exhaust, right? You can bet they have tuned that pump up, especially if you're blowing black smoke.

larsalan
03-05-2012, 08:50 AM #17

So, someone added that pump to a turbo motor... A motor where they have a new intake and exhaust, right? You can bet they have tuned that pump up, especially if you're blowing black smoke.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-05-2012, 08:59 AM #18
I feel like all the work is done for me. Woot woot! Picking it up today, new ball joints, upper control arm and tie rods. Allignment and some 205 70 14 rubber. Off to the streets to break something else on it.

Aside..... ive been reading about my turbo. I think its a kkk k 24. I think my wastegate is stuck shut. Just a couple of screws and i can take it off and clean it right? It was disconnected when i got the car, when i hooked it up i was still boosting up to 20psi.

I figure i need to work it loose any tips?

lgreeley83
03-05-2012, 08:59 AM #18

I feel like all the work is done for me. Woot woot! Picking it up today, new ball joints, upper control arm and tie rods. Allignment and some 205 70 14 rubber. Off to the streets to break something else on it.

Aside..... ive been reading about my turbo. I think its a kkk k 24. I think my wastegate is stuck shut. Just a couple of screws and i can take it off and clean it right? It was disconnected when i got the car, when i hooked it up i was still boosting up to 20psi.

I figure i need to work it loose any tips?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-05-2012, 11:23 AM #19
Actually I think from the position of the wastegate it is a kkk k26. Thoughts on that?

duh
This post was last modified: 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM #19

Actually I think from the position of the wastegate it is a kkk k26. Thoughts on that?

duh

aaa
GT2256V

03-05-2012, 04:10 PM #20
Heh, that was just a coincidence. It's based off post count.
aaa
03-05-2012, 04:10 PM #20

Heh, that was just a coincidence. It's based off post count.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-05-2012, 04:48 PM #21
i had figured that. :-) funny coincidence

lgreeley83
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM #21

i had figured that. :-) funny coincidence

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-11-2012, 06:44 PM #22
My sun roof doesnt shut all the way. I dont have any switches in my center console. I dont even know uf the motor is there. Any ideas for what i can do. It is all the way forward just doesnt lift and seal. Im fine with it not working for now, i just want to be able to go to a car wash.

lgreeley83
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM #22

My sun roof doesnt shut all the way. I dont have any switches in my center console. I dont even know uf the motor is there. Any ideas for what i can do. It is all the way forward just doesnt lift and seal. Im fine with it not working for now, i just want to be able to go to a car wash.

aaa
GT2256V

03-11-2012, 06:58 PM #23
Manual sunroof? They were common in wagons at least. It'd have a big chrome handle.
aaa
03-11-2012, 06:58 PM #23

Manual sunroof? They were common in wagons at least. It'd have a big chrome handle.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-11-2012, 07:07 PM #24
Nevermind. At the risk of breaking something.... i went and put some muscle on it. Made it my bitch.

Yeah i think manual is the plan. Big Grin
(03-11-2012, 06:58 PM)aaa Manual sunroof? They were common in wagons at least. It'd have a big chrome handle.

This post was last modified: 03-11-2012, 07:09 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
03-11-2012, 07:07 PM #24

Nevermind. At the risk of breaking something.... i went and put some muscle on it. Made it my bitch.

Yeah i think manual is the plan. Big Grin
(03-11-2012, 06:58 PM)aaa Manual sunroof? They were common in wagons at least. It'd have a big chrome handle.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-13-2012, 03:19 PM #25
Got the bar from dropnosky. People say the car looks angry.    

lgreeley83
03-13-2012, 03:19 PM #25

Got the bar from dropnosky. People say the car looks angry.    

larsalan
Superturbo

03-13-2012, 03:47 PM #26
Blackout those headlight bezels

larsalan
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM #26

Blackout those headlight bezels

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-13-2012, 04:20 PM #27
(03-13-2012, 03:47 PM)larsalan Blackout those headlight bezels

My college major is Biology my minor is physical geography.
My art is not to be confused with an art student however I think I did great. (NO REALLY!!!)

I think at some point I may go with the whole flat black scenario. Paint the grill too? I think drop considered that. I don't really know what I think on this topic.
Another view...

This post was last modified: 03-13-2012, 04:25 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM #27

(03-13-2012, 03:47 PM)larsalan Blackout those headlight bezels

My college major is Biology my minor is physical geography.
My art is not to be confused with an art student however I think I did great. (NO REALLY!!!)

I think at some point I may go with the whole flat black scenario. Paint the grill too? I think drop considered that. I don't really know what I think on this topic.
Another view...

larsalan
Superturbo

03-13-2012, 04:25 PM #28
[Image: IMG_0691.jpg]

larsalan
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM #28

[Image: IMG_0691.jpg]

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-13-2012, 04:39 PM #29
(03-13-2012, 04:25 PM)larsalan [Image: IMG_0691.jpg]

I dig it. My grill is partially blacked out as well. Is the black stock for the grill? Mine was like that when I bought the car.

More pic editing. Wasting time at the university......

simulated no chrome except for bumpers, tinted windows.

My plates coming in the mail are "SOOT"

My wife calls the car quazi moto
I think the last photo is the winner
On a side note.......

I nit pick on this a lot. If one is entering a doorway that has two doors why do people always exit the one on the left? This happens more at my school than anywhere else. Do we not drive on the right side of the road? Does this principle get lost when walking? Why when i exit through the right door is there always someone attempting to get in a head on collision with me?

Anyways......
This post was last modified: 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM #29

(03-13-2012, 04:25 PM)larsalan [Image: IMG_0691.jpg]

I dig it. My grill is partially blacked out as well. Is the black stock for the grill? Mine was like that when I bought the car.

More pic editing. Wasting time at the university......

simulated no chrome except for bumpers, tinted windows.

My plates coming in the mail are "SOOT"

My wife calls the car quazi moto
I think the last photo is the winner
On a side note.......

I nit pick on this a lot. If one is entering a doorway that has two doors why do people always exit the one on the left? This happens more at my school than anywhere else. Do we not drive on the right side of the road? Does this principle get lost when walking? Why when i exit through the right door is there always someone attempting to get in a head on collision with me?

Anyways......

JB3
Superturbo

03-14-2012, 08:48 AM #30
(03-13-2012, 04:39 PM)lgreeley83 I nit pick on this a lot. If one is entering a doorway that has two doors why do people always exit the one on the left? This happens more at my school than anywhere else. Do we not drive on the right side of the road? Does this principle get lost when walking? Why when i exit through the right door is there always someone attempting to get in a head on collision with me?

Anyways......

Now with your bull bar, just make sure to hit them in the parking lot. Big Grin

Perfect knee breaking height

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM #30

(03-13-2012, 04:39 PM)lgreeley83 I nit pick on this a lot. If one is entering a doorway that has two doors why do people always exit the one on the left? This happens more at my school than anywhere else. Do we not drive on the right side of the road? Does this principle get lost when walking? Why when i exit through the right door is there always someone attempting to get in a head on collision with me?

Anyways......

Now with your bull bar, just make sure to hit them in the parking lot. Big Grin

Perfect knee breaking height

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-14-2012, 08:53 AM #31
Hobble them......handicap entrance.

lgreeley83
03-14-2012, 08:53 AM #31

Hobble them......handicap entrance.

JB3
Superturbo

03-14-2012, 01:22 PM #32
if you want these headlight covers, let me know. Heres a pic of how they look with the bar, and a below pic on a black 123. On a black car, with a blacked out grill and bar, could look pretty interesting!

also, heres a pic of the spare tire holder you asked me about.

Its basically a T shaped deal made out of angle iron, and bolted to an etrailer 1500lb bumper hitch I had on the car in this pic, I removed the ball, and added a few ears to the sides to bolt this contraption to. I then compressed some electrical conduit, and made a pair of braces.

It was cheap and crude, but was very effective. Reason for the external tire mount was my trunk was full of VO stuff and luggage. Also had to move the plate

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
03-14-2012, 01:22 PM #32

if you want these headlight covers, let me know. Heres a pic of how they look with the bar, and a below pic on a black 123. On a black car, with a blacked out grill and bar, could look pretty interesting!

also, heres a pic of the spare tire holder you asked me about.

Its basically a T shaped deal made out of angle iron, and bolted to an etrailer 1500lb bumper hitch I had on the car in this pic, I removed the ball, and added a few ears to the sides to bolt this contraption to. I then compressed some electrical conduit, and made a pair of braces.

It was cheap and crude, but was very effective. Reason for the external tire mount was my trunk was full of VO stuff and luggage. Also had to move the plate

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

03-14-2012, 02:07 PM #33
I had to point this out in this pic.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM #33

I had to point this out in this pic.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

JB3
Superturbo

03-14-2012, 02:19 PM #34
(03-14-2012, 02:07 PM)DeliveryValve I had to point this out in this pic.

heh, its a twin tip resonator the muffler shop had on the shelf. I bumped up the entire exhaust to 2.5 inch, and to satisfy MO law at the time (5 or 6 years ago), I needed some kind of muffler, so the guy hooked me up with this thing which satisfied the letter of the law, but was essentially a straight pipe still. It grew on me, definitely sounded great.

looks really low in this pic, I may have unhooked it or something while struggling with some tank stuff I was doing at the time, height was right about the same as stock
This post was last modified: 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
03-14-2012, 02:19 PM #34

(03-14-2012, 02:07 PM)DeliveryValve I had to point this out in this pic.

heh, its a twin tip resonator the muffler shop had on the shelf. I bumped up the entire exhaust to 2.5 inch, and to satisfy MO law at the time (5 or 6 years ago), I needed some kind of muffler, so the guy hooked me up with this thing which satisfied the letter of the law, but was essentially a straight pipe still. It grew on me, definitely sounded great.

looks really low in this pic, I may have unhooked it or something while struggling with some tank stuff I was doing at the time, height was right about the same as stock

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-19-2012, 01:13 PM #35
Current stuff.

Tachometer, it seems i have a tach wiring harness, i have the pickup thingy, i have a tach amp on inner wheel hump. I don't have a tach cluster though...... is this the wiring connector for a two prong gauge? Anyone got a gauge I can buy?

Also worked on my console a bit so my interior is a bit less fugly. Cut and painted some metal and got a boost gauge and voltage gauge in it. As for my climate control. I don't have anything......if I did i would have had the horizontal buttons i believe. I wonder if in that upper panel i made I can just put some switches in for full on full off for fan. Maybe a switch for the ac compressor. Do I have to do linkage to a manual valve for the heater or can I send electricity to what is there and put a switch to it?

also anyone got the plastic crap to put here?

lgreeley83
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM #35

Current stuff.

Tachometer, it seems i have a tach wiring harness, i have the pickup thingy, i have a tach amp on inner wheel hump. I don't have a tach cluster though...... is this the wiring connector for a two prong gauge? Anyone got a gauge I can buy?

Also worked on my console a bit so my interior is a bit less fugly. Cut and painted some metal and got a boost gauge and voltage gauge in it. As for my climate control. I don't have anything......if I did i would have had the horizontal buttons i believe. I wonder if in that upper panel i made I can just put some switches in for full on full off for fan. Maybe a switch for the ac compressor. Do I have to do linkage to a manual valve for the heater or can I send electricity to what is there and put a switch to it?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-20-2012, 02:29 AM #36
As it seems a 115 intake manifold is hard to find. I want to do an intercooler setup. Can i use a stock manifold and simply rotate compressor housing?

Proly not without mods to give it a lip or something right?

lgreeley83
03-20-2012, 02:29 AM #36

As it seems a 115 intake manifold is hard to find. I want to do an intercooler setup. Can i use a stock manifold and simply rotate compressor housing?

Proly not without mods to give it a lip or something right?

JB3
Superturbo

03-20-2012, 08:32 AM #37
got to be a yard kicking around near you that might have that wiper cowling trim. What happened to all that stuff, was the car going to paint?

The 115 manifolds occasionally turn up, but you will have to keep your eye on the forum FS ads on most of the benz forums. Maybe even put up a WTB for one.

Same for the Tach cluster. Got to be able to grab a 300D cluster from a yard. Any yards near you that have older benzes?
BTW, you should request to have this thread moved over to the projects forum, might get more traffic and info
This post was last modified: 03-20-2012, 08:38 AM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
03-20-2012, 08:32 AM #37

got to be a yard kicking around near you that might have that wiper cowling trim. What happened to all that stuff, was the car going to paint?

The 115 manifolds occasionally turn up, but you will have to keep your eye on the forum FS ads on most of the benz forums. Maybe even put up a WTB for one.

Same for the Tach cluster. Got to be able to grab a 300D cluster from a yard. Any yards near you that have older benzes?

BTW, you should request to have this thread moved over to the projects forum, might get more traffic and info

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

03-20-2012, 10:30 AM #38
There are a few yards by me but none have had a w123 in there. I go about once a week to stay current.

The paint is a crappy repaint. Bondo is all over this thing. With some of the parts removed i wonder if someone wanted to part it out. But there are parts replaced that shows someone wanted it to be something.

I figure i get this one going nice without spending tooooo much. Maybe take my first stab at body work. If it doesnt come out perfect im fine with that. Im going overseas on a deployment again this summer back in the spring of 2013. I figure i will get a clean rust free body at that point and take what i learn from this car :-)

Gotta say its nice to have a car that you dont worry about too much though.

lgreeley83
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM #38

There are a few yards by me but none have had a w123 in there. I go about once a week to stay current.

The paint is a crappy repaint. Bondo is all over this thing. With some of the parts removed i wonder if someone wanted to part it out. But there are parts replaced that shows someone wanted it to be something.

I figure i get this one going nice without spending tooooo much. Maybe take my first stab at body work. If it doesnt come out perfect im fine with that. Im going overseas on a deployment again this summer back in the spring of 2013. I figure i will get a clean rust free body at that point and take what i learn from this car :-)

Gotta say its nice to have a car that you dont worry about too much though.

w123love
Stockish

03-20-2012, 01:23 PM #39
(03-19-2012, 01:13 PM)lgreeley83 Current stuff.

Hey I can hook you up withe the plastic cowl grill. You want chrome or black?

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
03-20-2012, 01:23 PM #39

(03-19-2012, 01:13 PM)lgreeley83 Current stuff.

Hey I can hook you up withe the plastic cowl grill. You want chrome or black?

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-10-2012, 02:30 PM #40
(03-20-2012, 08:32 AM)dropnosky BTW, you should request to have this thread moved over to the projects forum, might get more traffic and info

Hey mods do you think we can move this over to the projects section? and maybe a less goofy title like....

"lgreeley83's 300D" something basic and tasteful.

lgreeley83
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM #40

(03-20-2012, 08:32 AM)dropnosky BTW, you should request to have this thread moved over to the projects forum, might get more traffic and info

Hey mods do you think we can move this over to the projects section? and maybe a less goofy title like....

"lgreeley83's 300D" something basic and tasteful.

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

04-10-2012, 03:35 PM #41
I have the tach-and-clock. How's $20 sound?

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
04-10-2012, 03:35 PM #41

I have the tach-and-clock. How's $20 sound?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-10-2012, 03:46 PM #42
If it is the two prong i am in :-)

lgreeley83
04-10-2012, 03:46 PM #42

If it is the two prong i am in :-)

larsalan
Superturbo

04-10-2012, 06:38 PM #43
what happened to the one I sent you?

larsalan
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM #43

what happened to the one I sent you?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-10-2012, 06:54 PM #44
I still have it. Ordered a tach amp this week. So not installed yet
I have lured my father into.the.mercedes market. :-) taking.him away from the vw diesels. He drove my 300d and instantly fell in love.

All the exotic parts i am buying in twos if i can to take careof him or myself in the strong possibilty i buy a second 300d ;-) gotta love mercedes
Then at some point i wont need anything but still will roam the junk yards.

I am in the hording phase. Probably spelled hording wrong.
This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM #44

I still have it. Ordered a tach amp this week. So not installed yet
I have lured my father into.the.mercedes market. :-) taking.him away from the vw diesels. He drove my 300d and instantly fell in love.

All the exotic parts i am buying in twos if i can to take careof him or myself in the strong possibilty i buy a second 300d ;-) gotta love mercedes

Then at some point i wont need anything but still will roam the junk yards.

I am in the hording phase. Probably spelled hording wrong.

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

04-11-2012, 12:53 AM #45
(04-10-2012, 03:46 PM)lgreeley83 If it is the two prong i am in :-)

Oops, the two-prong tach+clock I have is for a W124 6-cylinder.

Here's a 3-prong out of a 1985 300D:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1fcsuq.jpg

JustPassinThru
04-11-2012, 12:53 AM #45

(04-10-2012, 03:46 PM)lgreeley83 If it is the two prong i am in :-)

Oops, the two-prong tach+clock I have is for a W124 6-cylinder.

Here's a 3-prong out of a 1985 300D:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1fcsuq.jpg

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-11-2012, 02:24 AM #46
(04-10-2012, 06:54 PM)lgreeley83 I have lured my father into.the.mercedes market. :-)

I just did the same!! He bought an '83 240D on Saturday Big Grin

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
04-11-2012, 02:24 AM #46

(04-10-2012, 06:54 PM)lgreeley83 I have lured my father into.the.mercedes market. :-)

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-11-2012, 06:33 AM #47
I think the three prongers were controled by something other than tach amp. I read the egr computer in the installing a tachometer thread. I dont think i want to mess with that one. Thanks though.
(04-11-2012, 02:24 AM)sassparilla_kid

Since i can find no other diesel mercedes junkies in the area i figure i will try and convert all my family members.

Dad.....want one
Step dad.....bought my 240d
Father and brother inlaws.....still working on them
Sister.....she has had the same saturn for 11 year now. She is almost ready
Wife......when the kids are old enough to not nees a car seat

I may not be a doctor or lawyer for the family. But hopefully i can be their car doctor.

Since i can find no other diesel mercedes junkies in the area i figure i will try and convert all my family members.

Dad.....want one

I may not be a doctor or lawyer for the family. But hopefully i can be their car doctor.
This post was last modified: 04-11-2012, 06:40 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
04-11-2012, 06:33 AM #47

I think the three prongers were controled by something other than tach amp. I read the egr computer in the installing a tachometer thread. I dont think i want to mess with that one. Thanks though.

Dad.....want one

Dad.....want one

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-11-2012, 04:41 PM #48
Yeah I haven't been able to find too many people in my area that are as enthusiastic about them as I am, but I am slowly working on convincing my friends/family that they need them

sassparilla_kid
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM #48

Yeah I haven't been able to find too many people in my area that are as enthusiastic about them as I am, but I am slowly working on convincing my friends/family that they need them

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-11-2012, 05:39 PM #49
I think my turbo died today. Oil is coming out of the back of it.

lgreeley83
04-11-2012, 05:39 PM #49

I think my turbo died today. Oil is coming out of the back of it.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

04-11-2012, 08:26 PM #50
Ok i just never drive east at that part of the day. That with a lack of wind really made it.look like a lot of smoke but it wasnt anymore than normal.

Oil has always been coming out of.the back of it i just usually drive it till it hot enough to cook off which i also hadnt done. No i know where my oil leak is from the bottom of my down pipe. Still havent lost more than a half quart in over 1000 miles since oil change.

Anyways. Anyone know where to get a kkk rebuilt kit?

lgreeley83
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM #50

Ok i just never drive east at that part of the day. That with a lack of wind really made it.look like a lot of smoke but it wasnt anymore than normal.

Oil has always been coming out of.the back of it i just usually drive it till it hot enough to cook off which i also hadnt done. No i know where my oil leak is from the bottom of my down pipe. Still havent lost more than a half quart in over 1000 miles since oil change.

Anyways. Anyone know where to get a kkk rebuilt kit?

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average