STD Tuning Engine OM606 Have I done my homework?

OM606 Have I done my homework?

OM606 Have I done my homework?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

kashi123
K26-2

05-05-2012, 09:14 AM #1
Hi,

Newbie here from Holland, for the last months I have been reading and studying all the great threads about the OM 606 and I think I will go with the following setup. But being a veterinarian I have lots of knowledge of animals and not so much about engines so very interested to hear your thoughts and comments!

The project is an old G-wagon that currently has a Om671a in it, problem is not enough torque low down for proper offroad and runs out of steam at higher speeds.

I would like to replace with an OM 606.
Sofar I have sourced:
-engine
-pump from a OM603 Turbo
-G-wagen autobox 722.331
-vacuum modulator thingie
-Flywheel

THe plan is to ship the pump to Dieselmeken who I have been in contact with to have 7.5 mm elements installed for about 300 HP.
I hope that the autobox and transfercase will hold up under this power.

Also I hope that it will have enough low down grunt, would rather not have to rev it beyond 4000 rpm.

I will need another turbo and have been reading about the Holset HX35?
Would this be a good one for my purposes:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compressor-Rac...2807wt_300

Moving on to intercoolers: use the standard one off the E-class or go for the biggest I can fit behind the G-wagen radiator, or even go air/water cooled?

So, to summarize:
More power, and low down grunt
Reliability, engine should be able to blast to the South of France (10 hour drive) oh and back againBig Grin

Have I done my homework or am I missing some vital points!?

And one last question: would I use the Torqueconvertor from the engine or use the one that came with the autobox, I am new to autoboxes .

Very much looking forward to all comments and thanks in advance

All the best

Richard
kashi123
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM #1

Hi,

Newbie here from Holland, for the last months I have been reading and studying all the great threads about the OM 606 and I think I will go with the following setup. But being a veterinarian I have lots of knowledge of animals and not so much about engines so very interested to hear your thoughts and comments!

The project is an old G-wagon that currently has a Om671a in it, problem is not enough torque low down for proper offroad and runs out of steam at higher speeds.

I would like to replace with an OM 606.
Sofar I have sourced:
-engine
-pump from a OM603 Turbo
-G-wagen autobox 722.331
-vacuum modulator thingie
-Flywheel

THe plan is to ship the pump to Dieselmeken who I have been in contact with to have 7.5 mm elements installed for about 300 HP.
I hope that the autobox and transfercase will hold up under this power.

Also I hope that it will have enough low down grunt, would rather not have to rev it beyond 4000 rpm.

I will need another turbo and have been reading about the Holset HX35?
Would this be a good one for my purposes:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compressor-Rac...2807wt_300

Moving on to intercoolers: use the standard one off the E-class or go for the biggest I can fit behind the G-wagen radiator, or even go air/water cooled?

So, to summarize:
More power, and low down grunt
Reliability, engine should be able to blast to the South of France (10 hour drive) oh and back againBig Grin

Have I done my homework or am I missing some vital points!?

And one last question: would I use the Torqueconvertor from the engine or use the one that came with the autobox, I am new to autoboxes .

Very much looking forward to all comments and thanks in advance

All the best

Richard

jeemu
"some people do, some people talk."

05-05-2012, 01:30 PM #2
7.5mm pump and hx35 give you so much power at original gearbox cant handle.

OM605 600hp diesel drag car build with BMW E30 chassis
jeemu
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM #2

7.5mm pump and hx35 give you so much power at original gearbox cant handle.

OM605 600hp diesel drag car build with BMW E30 chassis

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

05-05-2012, 01:49 PM #3
Aye....

The 722.33 from G-Wagen was designed to take around 120-150 BHP from what I can find out....

Now--Its NOT the 'Power' that destroyes the trans, its the Torque...

As you're popping a big turbo and lots of extra fuel in an engine that 'Normally' generates 186BHP, the results can be seen before even fitting it!--You are expecting around 300BHP, prob double the trans was capable of

Any chance of running a Manual Transmission instead...?

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
05-05-2012, 01:49 PM #3

Aye....

The 722.33 from G-Wagen was designed to take around 120-150 BHP from what I can find out....

Now--Its NOT the 'Power' that destroyes the trans, its the Torque...

As you're popping a big turbo and lots of extra fuel in an engine that 'Normally' generates 186BHP, the results can be seen before even fitting it!--You are expecting around 300BHP, prob double the trans was capable of

Any chance of running a Manual Transmission instead...?

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

05-05-2012, 02:00 PM #4
I think the bolt-on 722.6 auto might be more up his alley, then a custom adapted BMW manual transmission.. The electronic's are a doosey though. Since you need that custom controller and it's not cheap.. That 722.3 wont get you far.. My question is how hes going to adapt mounts to bolt that om606 in the spot of the om 617.
This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM by Kozuka.

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project
Kozuka
05-05-2012, 02:00 PM #4

I think the bolt-on 722.6 auto might be more up his alley, then a custom adapted BMW manual transmission.. The electronic's are a doosey though. Since you need that custom controller and it's not cheap.. That 722.3 wont get you far.. My question is how hes going to adapt mounts to bolt that om606 in the spot of the om 617.

bad3gakk
om605 - kkk27 - w124

05-06-2012, 09:04 AM #5
722.3 isnt all that bad... These are made to handle everywhere from 190nm to 450++ nm...
It will probably last a while if you remove the vac line to the transmission,
and turn the oil pressure up at the gearbox.
If you lift your foot a split of a second while the tranny shifts, so the clutches doesnt burn, it'll stick around even longer...

NOTHING lasts for ever, not even a BMW diesel box', but with the right driving style, maintenance and adjustments, even old 722.3 tend to last beyond all expectations..
bad3gakk
05-06-2012, 09:04 AM #5

722.3 isnt all that bad... These are made to handle everywhere from 190nm to 450++ nm...
It will probably last a while if you remove the vac line to the transmission,
and turn the oil pressure up at the gearbox.
If you lift your foot a split of a second while the tranny shifts, so the clutches doesnt burn, it'll stick around even longer...

NOTHING lasts for ever, not even a BMW diesel box', but with the right driving style, maintenance and adjustments, even old 722.3 tend to last beyond all expectations..

kashi123
K26-2

05-06-2012, 03:08 PM #6
Thanks to all that answered, I am so glad I asked the question!

I 'think' (but this might change) that I will use the 722.6 box and not uprate the pump and turbo just yet. I am not adverse to having a standalone controller
Once I have it all working in the G I can start playing, and paying, for that.

THe reason for not going manual is that I have one now and it is great but auto offroad just rocks!

As to fitting the OM606, G-wagens did have this engine fitted so factory mounts are available, and if it doesn't fit I will have some made by my friend who is a metal worker. He managed to shoehorn a 5.6 V8 into a G so I think he can manage the OM606.

Of course this means I now have a spare G-wagen autobox AND another spare 722.358 which I bought for spares, Oh well might come in useful one day!

Once again, thank you very much for your time and I am sure I will be back once I start getting more power out of the engine. Although something tells me I might as well do this before fitting the engine...
Decisions, decisions!! ( but fun ones!)

All the best

Richard
kashi123
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM #6

Thanks to all that answered, I am so glad I asked the question!

I 'think' (but this might change) that I will use the 722.6 box and not uprate the pump and turbo just yet. I am not adverse to having a standalone controller

THe reason for not going manual is that I have one now and it is great but auto offroad just rocks!

As to fitting the OM606, G-wagens did have this engine fitted so factory mounts are available, and if it doesn't fit I will have some made by my friend who is a metal worker. He managed to shoehorn a 5.6 V8 into a G so I think he can manage the OM606.

Of course this means I now have a spare G-wagen autobox AND another spare 722.358 which I bought for spares, Oh well might come in useful one day!

Once again, thank you very much for your time and I am sure I will be back once I start getting more power out of the engine. Although something tells me I might as well do this before fitting the engine...

All the best

Richard

axel606
K26-2

05-07-2012, 05:56 AM #7
(05-06-2012, 03:08 PM)kashi123 Thanks to all that answered, I am so glad I asked the question!

All the best

Richard
richard, i think trying your g wagen with the engine in near standard trim is a good point to start from .
the torque from the engine will be an eye opener i have deleted egr and fitted an iveco intercooler in front of the g radiator with 603 pump and done nice straight pipe runs to the intake along with a big bore low restriction exhaust system and it is torquemeister. already it pulls up hills near where i live in 6th where the 280 gasser would be down to third . when you pull away you can go 1st ,2nd ,4th ,6th no shudder it is a monster, it has roll on power to spare ,so try it first and then tune it to suit.
the 606 or 605 are glorious engines and make a very nice noise to boot i have fitted both these motors to g 460's and they are a revelation with free revving nature and a bullet proof reputation .
axel606
05-07-2012, 05:56 AM #7

(05-06-2012, 03:08 PM)kashi123 Thanks to all that answered, I am so glad I asked the question!

All the best

Richard
richard, i think trying your g wagen with the engine in near standard trim is a good point to start from .
the torque from the engine will be an eye opener i have deleted egr and fitted an iveco intercooler in front of the g radiator with 603 pump and done nice straight pipe runs to the intake along with a big bore low restriction exhaust system and it is torquemeister. already it pulls up hills near where i live in 6th where the 280 gasser would be down to third . when you pull away you can go 1st ,2nd ,4th ,6th no shudder it is a monster, it has roll on power to spare ,so try it first and then tune it to suit.
the 606 or 605 are glorious engines and make a very nice noise to boot i have fitted both these motors to g 460's and they are a revelation with free revving nature and a bullet proof reputation .

kashi123
K26-2

05-07-2012, 04:02 PM #8
(05-07-2012, 05:56 AM)axel606 richard, i think trying your g wagen with the engine in near standard trim is a good point to start from .

Thanks for your suggestion I have decided, for now, that I will indeed go for the standard setup, maybe an air/water intercooler for good measure.
I am looking forward to the torque as it does have to turn 35 inch tyres Big Grin
Not so much looking forward to losing my current 6.15:1 first gear, makes going down steep hills so easy!
I am sure I will be back with loads of questions!

Thanks again

Richard

kashi123
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM #8

(05-07-2012, 05:56 AM)axel606 richard, i think trying your g wagen with the engine in near standard trim is a good point to start from .

Thanks for your suggestion I have decided, for now, that I will indeed go for the standard setup, maybe an air/water intercooler for good measure.
I am looking forward to the torque as it does have to turn 35 inch tyres Big Grin
Not so much looking forward to losing my current 6.15:1 first gear, makes going down steep hills so easy!
I am sure I will be back with loads of questions!

Thanks again

Richard

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-16-2012, 04:13 AM #9
You will need a TCM-2000 controlle for your 722.6?

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-16-2012, 04:13 AM #9

You will need a TCM-2000 controlle for your 722.6?

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

kashi123
K26-2

05-21-2012, 01:57 PM #10
(05-16-2012, 04:13 AM)Hario You will need a TCM-2000 controlle for your 722.6?

Yes, that is correct. I have already found someone who will kindly build that for me.

Getting the engine next week so I can start collecting stuff ( or in different words, spending money!)

Cheers

Richard
This post was last modified: 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM by kashi123.
kashi123
05-21-2012, 01:57 PM #10

Yes, that is correct. I have already found someone who will kindly build that for me.

Getting the engine next week so I can start collecting stuff ( or in different words, spending money!)

Cheers

Richard

syche
Naturally-aspirated

06-03-2012, 09:51 PM #11
(05-21-2012, 01:57 PM)kashi123

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard.

How is the project going?, i have similar ideas but to fit on a 463 G, Looking after OM606 low end power, target being about 450/500nm max torque from 1600 or 1800rpm and max power of 220/250hp.
I would need a low stall speed torque converter as well to make use of this torque. not too sure if the factory turbo can offer the figure i am looking for. Else i could get a specifically modified CT26 to suit.

Not too familiar with inline pumps, does fitting 7 or 7.5mm elements into a factory OM606 electronic pump (6mm i think) would help on torque delivery alone? or does a tuned ECU is required to get the benefits of the elements?

So far i understand the bigger element would help getting a bigger amount of fuel just at the right timing sequence, which normal element would take longer to do and therefore not offering optimum combustion....or am i completely wrong?

Regards
Sylvain
This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM by syche.
syche
06-03-2012, 09:51 PM #11

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard.

How is the project going?, i have similar ideas but to fit on a 463 G, Looking after OM606 low end power, target being about 450/500nm max torque from 1600 or 1800rpm and max power of 220/250hp.
I would need a low stall speed torque converter as well to make use of this torque. not too sure if the factory turbo can offer the figure i am looking for. Else i could get a specifically modified CT26 to suit.

Not too familiar with inline pumps, does fitting 7 or 7.5mm elements into a factory OM606 electronic pump (6mm i think) would help on torque delivery alone? or does a tuned ECU is required to get the benefits of the elements?

So far i understand the bigger element would help getting a bigger amount of fuel just at the right timing sequence, which normal element would take longer to do and therefore not offering optimum combustion....or am i completely wrong?

Regards
Sylvain

kashi123
K26-2

06-04-2012, 09:36 AM #12
(06-03-2012, 09:51 PM)syche

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard.

Regards
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

the project is going... well. In so far as that the engine and I are now only 500 miles and an ocean apart Big Grin
Still need to get the car and engine over to Holland.

After advice given here on the forum and monetary restraints I have shelved the idea of more hp and will leave it stock. Then see how it propels the old G-wagen and then decide if I can spend more money on the pump and a new turbo.

The plan now is to gather all the bits needed and start work in August.

Good luck with your project!!

regards

Richard
kashi123
06-04-2012, 09:36 AM #12

(06-03-2012, 09:51 PM)syche

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard.

Regards
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

the project is going... well. In so far as that the engine and I are now only 500 miles and an ocean apart Big Grin
Still need to get the car and engine over to Holland.

After advice given here on the forum and monetary restraints I have shelved the idea of more hp and will leave it stock. Then see how it propels the old G-wagen and then decide if I can spend more money on the pump and a new turbo.

The plan now is to gather all the bits needed and start work in August.

Good luck with your project!!

regards

Richard

syche
Naturally-aspirated

06-04-2012, 10:17 AM #13
Hi Richard and All

I am still trying to find out if the OM606 with factory electronic pump can be run disconnected from it's gearbox management as i want to run a full stand alone for the gearbox.

Might be possible some how but i think everybody is going the mechanical pump route in general.

As for the performances, i think from factory with a chip they can get over 220 hp and 450nm from quite low rpm safely, so it should also be manageable with the mechanical pump. Passed 200HP on a well geared G, there is already not much that will stop you.
I currently have a very powered Toyota HDJ80 with over 200HP at the wheel and 500NM from 1800rpm (boost 1 bar from 1600rpm and 1.2+ at 1700rpm all the way to 4000rpm), i can't get that down to the ground even in 3rd if i floor it, more is useless for offroadCool

Regards
Sylvain
syche
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM #13

Hi Richard and All

I am still trying to find out if the OM606 with factory electronic pump can be run disconnected from it's gearbox management as i want to run a full stand alone for the gearbox.

Might be possible some how but i think everybody is going the mechanical pump route in general.

As for the performances, i think from factory with a chip they can get over 220 hp and 450nm from quite low rpm safely, so it should also be manageable with the mechanical pump. Passed 200HP on a well geared G, there is already not much that will stop you.
I currently have a very powered Toyota HDJ80 with over 200HP at the wheel and 500NM from 1800rpm (boost 1 bar from 1600rpm and 1.2+ at 1700rpm all the way to 4000rpm), i can't get that down to the ground even in 3rd if i floor it, more is useless for offroadCool

Regards
Sylvain

aaa
GT2256V

06-04-2012, 04:19 PM #14
There are a few instances where people got the electric pump working alone, with a homebuilt computer. There's not much in the way of logic inside it, it's just an electric actuator instead of the governor.
aaa
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM #14

There are a few instances where people got the electric pump working alone, with a homebuilt computer. There's not much in the way of logic inside it, it's just an electric actuator instead of the governor.

kashi123
K26-2

06-28-2012, 02:44 AM #15
Hi guys,

quick update and many more questions. I now have the car and engine in Holland, it drives superbly and it seems a shame to rip it apart! But needs must and all that.

The set up will be as advised here:
mechanical pump from OM603 with 6 mm elements
original 722.6 box with special controller
air to water intercooler if I can shoehorn it in somewhere.

Further questions are:
1.I would like to turn the pump up a bit, what would be a ball park figure to tell my pump guy?
Don't want to go crazy and want the EGT to stay safe. Difficult to say I do realise!

2.Cooling: I will be using a 3.5 inch think radiator, 21 by 18 inches. Also a front mounted oilcooler.
As regards to the transmission I have 2 options, I can either have one built into the radiator or have a stand alone cooler with fan in the back (it is a pickup model) The tranny will be doing a lot of slow hard work so I think cooling is very important.

Looking forward to peoples thoughts on this.

Many thanks!!

Richard
kashi123
06-28-2012, 02:44 AM #15

Hi guys,

quick update and many more questions. I now have the car and engine in Holland, it drives superbly and it seems a shame to rip it apart! But needs must and all that.

The set up will be as advised here:
mechanical pump from OM603 with 6 mm elements
original 722.6 box with special controller
air to water intercooler if I can shoehorn it in somewhere.

Further questions are:
1.I would like to turn the pump up a bit, what would be a ball park figure to tell my pump guy?
Don't want to go crazy and want the EGT to stay safe. Difficult to say I do realise!

2.Cooling: I will be using a 3.5 inch think radiator, 21 by 18 inches. Also a front mounted oilcooler.
As regards to the transmission I have 2 options, I can either have one built into the radiator or have a stand alone cooler with fan in the back (it is a pickup model) The tranny will be doing a lot of slow hard work so I think cooling is very important.

Looking forward to peoples thoughts on this.

Many thanks!!

Richard

Kozuka
I'm_Badass

06-30-2012, 02:55 PM #16
With 6mm elements and good intercooling I would expect around 190-200ish without crazy EGT's if you balance the boost to fuel right maybe a little more but I doubt it. Your still going to need a gauge and keep a close eye on it while your tuning the right boost to match the fuel to make the most power while keeping EGT's under control.

I would go with the external transmission cooler for ease of mounting and superior cooling. But your probably running out of room down there in the engine bay so go with what your gut tells you. I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

Kozuka
06-30-2012, 02:55 PM #16

With 6mm elements and good intercooling I would expect around 190-200ish without crazy EGT's if you balance the boost to fuel right maybe a little more but I doubt it. Your still going to need a gauge and keep a close eye on it while your tuning the right boost to match the fuel to make the most power while keeping EGT's under control.

I would go with the external transmission cooler for ease of mounting and superior cooling. But your probably running out of room down there in the engine bay so go with what your gut tells you. I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average