STD Tuning Engine Cylinder head carbon

Cylinder head carbon

Cylinder head carbon

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hercules
GT2559V

06-30-2012, 11:38 PM #1
Heavy ,hard, carbon deposits on head surface in-between the two 2.5mm
burn holes on back side of prechamber.From prechamber to cyl.wall. 85 300sd,150 thousand miles. Head on front side,main burn area very clean. Anyone know reason for sure? Any way to improve?

Blown head gasket,(blowing water out)Was just replaced on my other 85
300 sd,580 thousand miles.Cylinder head clean all over.This is the head that the prechambers holes were tapered on 30 thousand miles ago. Did run a few tanks of fuel with marvel mystery oil,which I now understand lubes less than diesel fuel. Any thoughts on this one being so clean? Did the tapering of the prechamber burn holes clean things up or the marvel oil do it or both.
Any Ideas?
Hercules
06-30-2012, 11:38 PM #1

Heavy ,hard, carbon deposits on head surface in-between the two 2.5mm
burn holes on back side of prechamber.From prechamber to cyl.wall. 85 300sd,150 thousand miles. Head on front side,main burn area very clean. Anyone know reason for sure? Any way to improve?

Blown head gasket,(blowing water out)Was just replaced on my other 85
300 sd,580 thousand miles.Cylinder head clean all over.This is the head that the prechambers holes were tapered on 30 thousand miles ago. Did run a few tanks of fuel with marvel mystery oil,which I now understand lubes less than diesel fuel. Any thoughts on this one being so clean? Did the tapering of the prechamber burn holes clean things up or the marvel oil do it or both.
Any Ideas?

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

07-02-2012, 01:22 AM #2
MMO is claimed to reduce carbon buildup and my experience does seem to confirm this claim. I'm convinced it dissolves carbon both when used as an engine-oil additive (I add 1 quart per oil change, which includes a new filter and draining the oil cooler). and when introduced into the combustion chamber.

I was adding 4 ounces of MMO per 16 gallons of either #2 pump diesel or 85-10-5 SVO-kerosene-gasoline blend for about 14,000 miles before I pulled my injectors to replace the nozzles. Looked inside with a small dental mirror and twisty-light and saw that, yes indeed, it was shiny (well, actually, dull, but the point is, carbon-free) clean in there.

It has definitely loosened the hard-caked soot-sludge on the top nooks and crannies of my cylinder head; 30,000 miles ago it was impossible to scrape off, now it's more than 50% gone, and I believe two oil changes from now (10K intervals) my cylinder head will look pristine. Turbo spool-up quickened noticeably the first time I put it in the oil.
This post was last modified: 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM by JustPassinThru.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
07-02-2012, 01:22 AM #2

MMO is claimed to reduce carbon buildup and my experience does seem to confirm this claim. I'm convinced it dissolves carbon both when used as an engine-oil additive (I add 1 quart per oil change, which includes a new filter and draining the oil cooler). and when introduced into the combustion chamber.

I was adding 4 ounces of MMO per 16 gallons of either #2 pump diesel or 85-10-5 SVO-kerosene-gasoline blend for about 14,000 miles before I pulled my injectors to replace the nozzles. Looked inside with a small dental mirror and twisty-light and saw that, yes indeed, it was shiny (well, actually, dull, but the point is, carbon-free) clean in there.

It has definitely loosened the hard-caked soot-sludge on the top nooks and crannies of my cylinder head; 30,000 miles ago it was impossible to scrape off, now it's more than 50% gone, and I believe two oil changes from now (10K intervals) my cylinder head will look pristine. Turbo spool-up quickened noticeably the first time I put it in the oil.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).

Hercules
GT2559V

08-01-2012, 04:42 PM #3
Carbon build-up caused by unburned fuel . IMO lack of oxygen. This was one of the reasons the burn holes on the prechambers were tapered. Increasing the flame spread area sooner might expose the rich fuel/flame mix to perhaps a few more oxygen molecules,for a more complete burn. Was this theory correct? The prechambers burn holes were tapered, not increased in size.
The resulting change was a increase in performance, and small gain in fuel mileage. Others have reported performance gains by increasing size of prechamber burn holes. What if the two procedures where combined!! Would there be any benefits ?
5 -85yr model prechambers modified ,tapering and increasing hole size approx. 5% Will give result when installed.

MBZ knew there was a lack of oxygen to the rear of the prechamber, and did some mods. Check this out. Pg. 30,Performance Diesel Head & engine preps by Captain America. See post #9,617 head,note how air is channeled in front of prechamber main burn holes. Now take a close look at post#17 602 head, how some of that air is being directed around the prechamber to the rear burn holes.Small changes make a difference,many small changes make a bigger difference. Did this mod. using hand drill,1" sanding drum and 6" extension, Dremel tool and 1/2" sanding drum.Turned out well. Head not installed yet.
Hercules
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM #3

Carbon build-up caused by unburned fuel . IMO lack of oxygen. This was one of the reasons the burn holes on the prechambers were tapered. Increasing the flame spread area sooner might expose the rich fuel/flame mix to perhaps a few more oxygen molecules,for a more complete burn. Was this theory correct? The prechambers burn holes were tapered, not increased in size.
The resulting change was a increase in performance, and small gain in fuel mileage. Others have reported performance gains by increasing size of prechamber burn holes. What if the two procedures where combined!! Would there be any benefits ?
5 -85yr model prechambers modified ,tapering and increasing hole size approx. 5% Will give result when installed.

MBZ knew there was a lack of oxygen to the rear of the prechamber, and did some mods. Check this out. Pg. 30,Performance Diesel Head & engine preps by Captain America. See post #9,617 head,note how air is channeled in front of prechamber main burn holes. Now take a close look at post#17 602 head, how some of that air is being directed around the prechamber to the rear burn holes.Small changes make a difference,many small changes make a bigger difference. Did this mod. using hand drill,1" sanding drum and 6" extension, Dremel tool and 1/2" sanding drum.Turned out well. Head not installed yet.

Hercules
GT2559V

10-27-2012, 01:38 AM #4
Installed modified prechambers,5% larger with taper (NICE). Idles smooth,over all performance impressive,feels as if engine as been rebalanced. Engine has more of a smooth turbo sound while increasing rpm (VERY SMOOTH) Engine pulls very well,feels as if has an extra gear.Instant response from engine at all speeds! Did not readjust anything,very little smoking,even less than last mod. More performance,less smoking(better burn),should have fuel milage increase,expected 3miles per gallon increase.Have been averaging 32mpg before this last mod. going across Yosemite pass Ca. and than out through the high desert 7500ft.
More performance,better fuel mileage,(on less fuel) Turbo comes on much harder also. 600,000mi + on engine.
Trying for 38 mpg my next goal.
Still waiting to install ported mod. head
Ported and matched after market intake&exhaust manifolds
Ported performance turbocharger
Performance exhaust
Adjust rebuilt injection pump
Performance camshaft,still looking for this.
Hercules
10-27-2012, 01:38 AM #4

Installed modified prechambers,5% larger with taper (NICE). Idles smooth,over all performance impressive,feels as if engine as been rebalanced. Engine has more of a smooth turbo sound while increasing rpm (VERY SMOOTH) Engine pulls very well,feels as if has an extra gear.Instant response from engine at all speeds! Did not readjust anything,very little smoking,even less than last mod. More performance,less smoking(better burn),should have fuel milage increase,expected 3miles per gallon increase.Have been averaging 32mpg before this last mod. going across Yosemite pass Ca. and than out through the high desert 7500ft.
More performance,better fuel mileage,(on less fuel) Turbo comes on much harder also. 600,000mi + on engine.
Trying for 38 mpg my next goal.
Still waiting to install ported mod. head
Ported and matched after market intake&exhaust manifolds
Ported performance turbocharger
Performance exhaust
Adjust rebuilt injection pump
Performance camshaft,still looking for this.

83300d
GTA2056V

10-27-2012, 10:05 AM #5
Forgive my question but what is MMO - I am sure that there is A TON of carbon build up in my 617. Trying to figure something out before I tear the head off and look at a clean up.
83300d
10-27-2012, 10:05 AM #5

Forgive my question but what is MMO - I am sure that there is A TON of carbon build up in my 617. Trying to figure something out before I tear the head off and look at a clean up.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-27-2012, 02:29 PM #6
Marvel Mystery Oil

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-27-2012, 02:29 PM #6

Marvel Mystery Oil

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

lpumb3
617 300sd

12-05-2012, 10:53 AM #7
Im interested in the prechamber part of this thread , used MMO. put in some before i went on a road trip oil/fuel. did valve adjs bfore the trip as well. ran great and could see the difference in smoke bye the second leg of the trip . fuel pump started leaking though . ....... to much MMO ? or was it the few 68mph DS's to third lol . couple old timers swear bye the stuff.
power seemed down a little on the second tank/leg , and lumpy-ness came back slightly . i was expecting to redo the valves when i got back , due to the carbon bulid breaking etc. this was a tip from MDS noting that neglect of Valvw adj , contributes to more carbon build etc. adjusting carboned seats will break apart some of the junk and you will need to readjust after 700-1000mi. so on that advice i was going to do a second adj when i got back.
cant report on this though because the car diddnt make it back with me .
This post was last modified: 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM by lpumb3.
lpumb3
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM #7

Im interested in the prechamber part of this thread , used MMO. put in some before i went on a road trip oil/fuel. did valve adjs bfore the trip as well. ran great and could see the difference in smoke bye the second leg of the trip . fuel pump started leaking though . ....... to much MMO ? or was it the few 68mph DS's to third lol . couple old timers swear bye the stuff.
power seemed down a little on the second tank/leg , and lumpy-ness came back slightly . i was expecting to redo the valves when i got back , due to the carbon bulid breaking etc. this was a tip from MDS noting that neglect of Valvw adj , contributes to more carbon build etc. adjusting carboned seats will break apart some of the junk and you will need to readjust after 700-1000mi. so on that advice i was going to do a second adj when i got back.
cant report on this though because the car diddnt make it back with me .

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-05-2012, 11:22 AM #8
(07-02-2012, 01:22 AM)JustPassinThru MMO is claimed to reduce carbon buildup and my experience does seem to confirm this claim. I'm convinced it dissolves carbon both when used as an engine-oil additive (I add 1 quart per oil change, which includes a new filter and draining the oil cooler). and when introduced into the combustion chamber.

x2 with my truck, noticeable increase in performance and engine smoothness after 1,000 miles on it.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM #8

(07-02-2012, 01:22 AM)JustPassinThru MMO is claimed to reduce carbon buildup and my experience does seem to confirm this claim. I'm convinced it dissolves carbon both when used as an engine-oil additive (I add 1 quart per oil change, which includes a new filter and draining the oil cooler). and when introduced into the combustion chamber.

x2 with my truck, noticeable increase in performance and engine smoothness after 1,000 miles on it.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

raidaru
TA 0301

12-05-2012, 05:10 PM #9
Propane injection should eliminate the carbon, by making an almost complete burn with the diesel. There are many other benifits with propane injection but this thread's about carbon.

lost in the diesel universe.............
raidaru
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM #9

Propane injection should eliminate the carbon, by making an almost complete burn with the diesel. There are many other benifits with propane injection but this thread's about carbon.

lost in the diesel universe.............

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average