STD Maintenance General low trans fluid

low trans fluid

low trans fluid

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

larsalan
Superturbo

08-11-2012, 07:19 PM #1
Just where in the fuck is all my trans fluid going? This shit is expensive! And worrisome. I thought it was burning up towing around that boat. But even without the trailer I seem to be running low.

A while ago the drain plug was rattling its way lose but I've looked into that and now it seems that its well in place.
Also, I don't see any spilling out and, when I look at the level it's nice and clear but just keeps getting low and causing sluggish shifts.
Where the hell is it going? Just leaking out and I'm missing it?

Oh jesus, a rear main! http://www.ehow.com/list_7260808_reasons...fluid.html

I sure hope some stop leak fluid can help
This post was last modified: 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM #1

Just where in the fuck is all my trans fluid going? This shit is expensive! And worrisome. I thought it was burning up towing around that boat. But even without the trailer I seem to be running low.

A while ago the drain plug was rattling its way lose but I've looked into that and now it seems that its well in place.
Also, I don't see any spilling out and, when I look at the level it's nice and clear but just keeps getting low and causing sluggish shifts.
Where the hell is it going? Just leaking out and I'm missing it?

Oh jesus, a rear main! http://www.ehow.com/list_7260808_reasons...fluid.html

I sure hope some stop leak fluid can help

aaa
GT2256V

08-11-2012, 09:37 PM #2
It's probably in your radiator. Unless you missed where it is leaking out. Then again it's probably not in your radiator, that's usually pretty obvious when you look at the dipstick.
aaa
08-11-2012, 09:37 PM #2

It's probably in your radiator. Unless you missed where it is leaking out. Then again it's probably not in your radiator, that's usually pretty obvious when you look at the dipstick.

larsalan
Superturbo

08-12-2012, 01:18 AM #3
Hmm, what? It's in the radiator cooling off?
I have topped it off to the tune of at least a quart over the last month or so. Keeps on getting low but I swear all I see on the road is motor oil.

larsalan
08-12-2012, 01:18 AM #3

Hmm, what? It's in the radiator cooling off?
I have topped it off to the tune of at least a quart over the last month or so. Keeps on getting low but I swear all I see on the road is motor oil.

aaa
GT2256V

08-12-2012, 09:29 AM #4
There is a transmission cooler in the radiator. Sometimes it starts leaking both ways (oil into rad and coolant into trans). You'd be able to tell by the color of both.

I'd go under there and look for where it's leaking. The whole underside of the trans is probably coated in motor oil, but any moistness on the sides would be a culprit. There are several things on the sides that can leak, not to mention the pan gasket itself. The "rear main" (either front pump seal or torque converter seal) would be harder to see without cleaning up the motor oil, since it comes out at the bottom where the engine and trans meet. Maybe if you clean the torque converter drain window you'll see some red drops there.
aaa
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM #4

There is a transmission cooler in the radiator. Sometimes it starts leaking both ways (oil into rad and coolant into trans). You'd be able to tell by the color of both.

I'd go under there and look for where it's leaking. The whole underside of the trans is probably coated in motor oil, but any moistness on the sides would be a culprit. There are several things on the sides that can leak, not to mention the pan gasket itself. The "rear main" (either front pump seal or torque converter seal) would be harder to see without cleaning up the motor oil, since it comes out at the bottom where the engine and trans meet. Maybe if you clean the torque converter drain window you'll see some red drops there.

larsalan
Superturbo

08-12-2012, 12:26 PM #5
Ok thanks, I look into someday

larsalan
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM #5

Ok thanks, I look into someday

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average