STD Tuning Engine Throttle body to smooth superpumps?

Throttle body to smooth superpumps?

Throttle body to smooth superpumps?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-22-2012, 11:10 AM #1
From what I've read, VM Motori diesels use a throttle body to starve the engine on shutdown in order to reduce the crazy engine shake on shutdown (We all know how shutting down a 617 feels)

Could a butterfly be added to starve the engine of air at low rpm to smooth out the idle->2,000 rpm when using a superpump? Some kind of a setup to make it more streetable, and then disable it when flooring it?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM #1

From what I've read, VM Motori diesels use a throttle body to starve the engine on shutdown in order to reduce the crazy engine shake on shutdown (We all know how shutting down a 617 feels)

Could a butterfly be added to starve the engine of air at low rpm to smooth out the idle->2,000 rpm when using a superpump? Some kind of a setup to make it more streetable, and then disable it when flooring it?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

ronnie
GT2559V

08-22-2012, 05:49 PM #2
the 1980's 616 did use a throttle in the intake manifold. No idea if this is a workable idea.
ronnie
08-22-2012, 05:49 PM #2

the 1980's 616 did use a throttle in the intake manifold. No idea if this is a workable idea.

Mark_M
GT2559V

08-22-2012, 06:01 PM #3
lots of diesels use a throttle body but I have no idea how they are timed. most if not all the ones I can think of are electronic controlled either common rail or electronic pumps. Here is an example that Delphi does http://delphi.com/manufacturers/cv/power...-controls/
Mark_M
08-22-2012, 06:01 PM #3

lots of diesels use a throttle body but I have no idea how they are timed. most if not all the ones I can think of are electronic controlled either common rail or electronic pumps. Here is an example that Delphi does http://delphi.com/manufacturers/cv/power...-controls/

Gearbound
In need of a OM606.96x

08-23-2012, 08:33 AM #4
the mk4 tdi VW use anti shudder valve in the intake of the plumbing and i believe it is vacuum operated... toyota diesels old and some new use a butterfly valve in the intake but i am unsure of the purpose? maybe something to look into..
Gearbound
08-23-2012, 08:33 AM #4

the mk4 tdi VW use anti shudder valve in the intake of the plumbing and i believe it is vacuum operated... toyota diesels old and some new use a butterfly valve in the intake but i am unsure of the purpose? maybe something to look into..

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

08-23-2012, 12:11 PM #5
The older Mercedes diesel om616/om615 used throttle body because the pumps where not governed! with out the throttle body the engine would just run away!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM #5

The older Mercedes diesel om616/om615 used throttle body because the pumps where not governed! with out the throttle body the engine would just run away!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

OM616
10mm MW

08-23-2012, 03:39 PM #6
(08-22-2012, 11:10 AM)Simpler=Better From what I've read, VM Motori diesels use a throttle body to starve the engine on shutdown in order to reduce the crazy engine shake on shutdown (We all know how shutting down a 617 feels)

Regardless of it being a Super Pump or stock, the engine should idle smooth, baring a mechanical issue. From what I have seen with the stock MW pumps, the element timing and balancing tolerance speck is pretty large to begin with. Then the addition of marginal quality / designed large elements that are installed with the stock tolerances is added to the mix and the result is an engine that runs like crap at low speeds, at high speeds you don't notice it as much, but it is still running like crap, smoking and high EGTs.

IMOP focus should be on getting a quality pump, not a way to mask the problem. And what I mean by a quality pump is that the specks that are used are way tighter than Bosch specks. Even MB issued a bulletin to deal with complaints about a ruff idle, and the fix was to balance the elements closet to each other. With 7 or 10 mm elements, it does not take much of an imbalance to make the engine shake.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.
OM616
08-23-2012, 03:39 PM #6

(08-22-2012, 11:10 AM)Simpler=Better From what I've read, VM Motori diesels use a throttle body to starve the engine on shutdown in order to reduce the crazy engine shake on shutdown (We all know how shutting down a 617 feels)

Regardless of it being a Super Pump or stock, the engine should idle smooth, baring a mechanical issue. From what I have seen with the stock MW pumps, the element timing and balancing tolerance speck is pretty large to begin with. Then the addition of marginal quality / designed large elements that are installed with the stock tolerances is added to the mix and the result is an engine that runs like crap at low speeds, at high speeds you don't notice it as much, but it is still running like crap, smoking and high EGTs.

IMOP focus should be on getting a quality pump, not a way to mask the problem. And what I mean by a quality pump is that the specks that are used are way tighter than Bosch specks. Even MB issued a bulletin to deal with complaints about a ruff idle, and the fix was to balance the elements closet to each other. With 7 or 10 mm elements, it does not take much of an imbalance to make the engine shake.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-23-2012, 06:20 PM #7
I agree about balancing everything, what I'm talking about is smoothing the action when you go from a touch of pedal to say 15% pedal? As I understand it a modded pump, balanced or not, will feel like an on/off switch. I don't know firsthand, I don't have a superpump :p

Simpler=Better
08-23-2012, 06:20 PM #7

I agree about balancing everything, what I'm talking about is smoothing the action when you go from a touch of pedal to say 15% pedal? As I understand it a modded pump, balanced or not, will feel like an on/off switch. I don't know firsthand, I don't have a superpump :p

OM616
10mm MW

08-24-2012, 12:15 AM #8
(08-23-2012, 06:20 PM)Simpler=Better I agree about balancing everything, what I'm talking about is smoothing the action when you go from a touch of pedal to say 15% pedal? As I understand it a modded pump, balanced or not, will feel like an on/off switch. I don't know firsthand, I don't have a superpump :p

If the plungers have sharp stepped retarding notches as apposed to angled or progressive, that can do what you are describing, also poor idle governor set up will do the same thing, can make it want to hunt at idle or just off idle as well.
OM616
08-24-2012, 12:15 AM #8

(08-23-2012, 06:20 PM)Simpler=Better I agree about balancing everything, what I'm talking about is smoothing the action when you go from a touch of pedal to say 15% pedal? As I understand it a modded pump, balanced or not, will feel like an on/off switch. I don't know firsthand, I don't have a superpump :p

If the plungers have sharp stepped retarding notches as apposed to angled or progressive, that can do what you are describing, also poor idle governor set up will do the same thing, can make it want to hunt at idle or just off idle as well.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average