STD Tuning Engine 617 Balancing

617 Balancing

617 Balancing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zeeman
Holset

08-25-2012, 05:17 PM #1
If the crankshaft is changed in a 617 engine does the new crankshaft and the old flywheel need to be rebalanced?
zeeman
08-25-2012, 05:17 PM #1

If the crankshaft is changed in a 617 engine does the new crankshaft and the old flywheel need to be rebalanced?

barrote
Superturbo

08-26-2012, 12:44 AM #2
of course my friend, if u want to have a smooth engine to rev 6k u have to balance the crankshaft with the pistons and the flywheel, and the other pulley at the front, unless u have a neutral pulley and flywheel just piston rod and crankshaft. anyway no one is doing balance so if u don't, u wont miss nothing special. Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM #2

of course my friend, if u want to have a smooth engine to rev 6k u have to balance the crankshaft with the pistons and the flywheel, and the other pulley at the front, unless u have a neutral pulley and flywheel just piston rod and crankshaft. anyway no one is doing balance so if u don't, u wont miss nothing special. Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

addicted56
Naturally-aspirated

09-23-2012, 09:53 PM #3
(08-26-2012, 12:44 AM)barrote of course my friend, if u want to have a smooth engine to rev 6k u have to balance the crankshaft with the pistons and the flywheel, and the other pulley at the front, unless u have a neutral pulley and flywheel just piston rod and crankshaft. anyway no one is doing balance so if u don't, u wont miss nothing special. Wink

So basically you are saying nobody is doing it becuase it isn't necessary? I'm in the same boat but don't have the original flexplate and I'm swapping to a manual and currently have a new one that I need to match up. I don't want to remove the crankshaft but I will if I have to....but I WON't remove the head. I will just buy another engine at that point as it would be cheaper. Running an electric fan in the front.
addicted56
09-23-2012, 09:53 PM #3

(08-26-2012, 12:44 AM)barrote of course my friend, if u want to have a smooth engine to rev 6k u have to balance the crankshaft with the pistons and the flywheel, and the other pulley at the front, unless u have a neutral pulley and flywheel just piston rod and crankshaft. anyway no one is doing balance so if u don't, u wont miss nothing special. Wink

So basically you are saying nobody is doing it becuase it isn't necessary? I'm in the same boat but don't have the original flexplate and I'm swapping to a manual and currently have a new one that I need to match up. I don't want to remove the crankshaft but I will if I have to....but I WON't remove the head. I will just buy another engine at that point as it would be cheaper. Running an electric fan in the front.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-24-2012, 08:05 AM #4
Like Barrote said, for regular driving you're fine, just make sure the flywheel assembly is neutral balanced. If you're making a race motor, you'd better balance it all.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-24-2012, 08:05 AM #4

Like Barrote said, for regular driving you're fine, just make sure the flywheel assembly is neutral balanced. If you're making a race motor, you'd better balance it all.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

ronnie
GT2559V

09-25-2012, 05:15 PM #5
my 616 is balanced,shop said within one gram, sure makes for a smooth engine.....

If you have the engine apart it really does not cost much for balancing, so I would be inclined to have it done. then there will be no surprises.
ronnie
09-25-2012, 05:15 PM #5

my 616 is balanced,shop said within one gram, sure makes for a smooth engine.....

If you have the engine apart it really does not cost much for balancing, so I would be inclined to have it done. then there will be no surprises.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average