STD Maintenance General Noob needs help with a decision!

Noob needs help with a decision!

Noob needs help with a decision!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

derpstarr
Unregistered

09-03-2012, 02:28 AM #1
Hey guys, figured this would be the best place as any to ask about this.

I've loved w123's for a while, my grandfather had a 82 300d and that car was great, made me always want one.
So I'm looking to get into a new project and I thought a 300d would be good because they're bomber and pretty easy to work on. I just have no idea where to start! I don't know what model years were the best; whether to get a 300d, or 300sd (has to be a turbo); what to look for when buying one (which transmission?). I've seen some guys who have 300hp+ ones. And that's where I'd like to eventually get to. But I did a little research and that seems pretty difficult & somewhat expensive. 7mm elements, bigger turbo, etc... I just want to ask what is needed, and how much is involved with doubling the stock HP. That seems like a good place to start, anywhere between 220 and 260hp would be fine with me. I have plenty of fab experience and wrenching experience so I'm not worried about that part. I just wanted to see if that is feasible! Always thought it would be cool to have a diesel that could get smokey and sideways.

Thank you all,

-Ben
derpstarr
09-03-2012, 02:28 AM #1

Hey guys, figured this would be the best place as any to ask about this.

I've loved w123's for a while, my grandfather had a 82 300d and that car was great, made me always want one.
So I'm looking to get into a new project and I thought a 300d would be good because they're bomber and pretty easy to work on. I just have no idea where to start! I don't know what model years were the best; whether to get a 300d, or 300sd (has to be a turbo); what to look for when buying one (which transmission?). I've seen some guys who have 300hp+ ones. And that's where I'd like to eventually get to. But I did a little research and that seems pretty difficult & somewhat expensive. 7mm elements, bigger turbo, etc... I just want to ask what is needed, and how much is involved with doubling the stock HP. That seems like a good place to start, anywhere between 220 and 260hp would be fine with me. I have plenty of fab experience and wrenching experience so I'm not worried about that part. I just wanted to see if that is feasible! Always thought it would be cool to have a diesel that could get smokey and sideways.

Thank you all,

-Ben

aaa
GT2256V

09-03-2012, 04:09 AM #2
The models are more or less the same, all the turbo models (D and SD) had the same transmission. The '85s had a taller diff gearing which is nice on the highway.

I think you covered what is needed performancewise. Bigger elements and a bigger turbo. Toss in an intercooler and fabbing the charge piping. It's doesn't sound like you'd have trouble putting this together, the main deterrent is cost.
aaa
09-03-2012, 04:09 AM #2

The models are more or less the same, all the turbo models (D and SD) had the same transmission. The '85s had a taller diff gearing which is nice on the highway.

I think you covered what is needed performancewise. Bigger elements and a bigger turbo. Toss in an intercooler and fabbing the charge piping. It's doesn't sound like you'd have trouble putting this together, the main deterrent is cost.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average