STD Maintenance General pulse timer?

pulse timer?

pulse timer?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DirtDiesel
K26-2

10-04-2012, 02:21 PM #1
went to the shop today and talked a bit about how the ip is timed and one of the mechanics brought up some kind of timing device like the ones used on gasoline motors with the light but instead they sense the pulse from the fuel in the injection lines? just wondering what this tool is all about and if it will even help me out.
DirtDiesel
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM #1

went to the shop today and talked a bit about how the ip is timed and one of the mechanics brought up some kind of timing device like the ones used on gasoline motors with the light but instead they sense the pulse from the fuel in the injection lines? just wondering what this tool is all about and if it will even help me out.

Mark_M
GT2559V

10-04-2012, 07:04 PM #2
As you say it counts the pulse of the fuel and then flashes the strobe. It won't help you set the initial timing but it should help you dial it in if you can get the advance curve information. I know Snapon does one but so will others for a lot less although none of them will be very cheap.
Mark_M
10-04-2012, 07:04 PM #2

As you say it counts the pulse of the fuel and then flashes the strobe. It won't help you set the initial timing but it should help you dial it in if you can get the advance curve information. I know Snapon does one but so will others for a lot less although none of them will be very cheap.

DirtDiesel
K26-2

10-04-2012, 10:20 PM #3
would it replace the drip method. would you expand on this as i am new to the mb
DirtDiesel
10-04-2012, 10:20 PM #3

would it replace the drip method. would you expand on this as i am new to the mb

Mark_M
GT2559V

10-05-2012, 05:35 AM #4
No it wouldn't replace the drip test as that is for the initial static setup of the pump. Think petrol engine with a distributor where you wouldnt/couldnt use a strobe to set the initial distributor position. All your doing with this strobe is replacing an electric pulse of the ignition with a mechanical pressure pulse. What it would mean is that after the initial positioning of the pump (not sure how close it would have to be to run good enough) you could use a strobe to set the timing bang on to what you wanted. Like I said earlier though you would need the figures for the advance curve. For pertrol engines the timing figure will be something like 14deg at idle and maybe 20deg at 3000rpm where static might only be 10deg. These are figures I am pulling out the air but it shows what an advance curve is. I have only ever seen the static figure for a diesel engine, what you would need is the idle figure.
Mark_M
10-05-2012, 05:35 AM #4

No it wouldn't replace the drip test as that is for the initial static setup of the pump. Think petrol engine with a distributor where you wouldnt/couldnt use a strobe to set the initial distributor position. All your doing with this strobe is replacing an electric pulse of the ignition with a mechanical pressure pulse. What it would mean is that after the initial positioning of the pump (not sure how close it would have to be to run good enough) you could use a strobe to set the timing bang on to what you wanted. Like I said earlier though you would need the figures for the advance curve. For pertrol engines the timing figure will be something like 14deg at idle and maybe 20deg at 3000rpm where static might only be 10deg. These are figures I am pulling out the air but it shows what an advance curve is. I have only ever seen the static figure for a diesel engine, what you would need is the idle figure.

Secondaries
TA 0301

10-07-2012, 11:15 PM #5
Just use the timing lock pin tool. It's technically for locking the IP timing for removal and installation. But can be used to set the timing, probably more accurately than the drip method. Less messy too and only around 30 bucks.

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo - 260k miles - Daily driver
1982 Yamaha XV920RJ - 9k miles - Currently in pieces

I have valve wrenches and timing tools for rent! PM for details!
Secondaries
10-07-2012, 11:15 PM #5

Just use the timing lock pin tool. It's technically for locking the IP timing for removal and installation. But can be used to set the timing, probably more accurately than the drip method. Less messy too and only around 30 bucks.

DirtDiesel
K26-2

10-08-2012, 03:50 PM #6
do you have a parts number possibly a picture for this tool. will it work on my 82 300d
DirtDiesel
10-08-2012, 03:50 PM #6

do you have a parts number possibly a picture for this tool. will it work on my 82 300d

Secondaries
TA 0301

10-09-2012, 09:24 AM #7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120943412467?ssP...1423.l2649

This is the tool I purchased for the job. There are two different tools depending on the year of manufacture, this one being for IPs manufactured 82 and on. Only the very earliest W123 MW-pumps were incapable of using these tool, if I remember correctly. Click this link to see what the tools look like for the different years, along with part numbers. Being a 1982, it could be either or so pay careful attention to how the port looks on your pump. Click this link to locate the port that this tool requires.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help with this tool!

Secondaries
10-09-2012, 09:24 AM #7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120943412467?ssP...1423.l2649

This is the tool I purchased for the job. There are two different tools depending on the year of manufacture, this one being for IPs manufactured 82 and on. Only the very earliest W123 MW-pumps were incapable of using these tool, if I remember correctly. Click this link to see what the tools look like for the different years, along with part numbers. Being a 1982, it could be either or so pay careful attention to how the port looks on your pump. Click this link to locate the port that this tool requires.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help with this tool!

DirtDiesel
K26-2

10-09-2012, 12:33 PM #8
well according to the link it looks like mine requires the earlier one but im not 100 percent maybe pull that plug out and see what it looks like. the pictures posted looks like the earlier ones had a smaller diamer of threads
DirtDiesel
10-09-2012, 12:33 PM #8

well according to the link it looks like mine requires the earlier one but im not 100 percent maybe pull that plug out and see what it looks like. the pictures posted looks like the earlier ones had a smaller diamer of threads

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average