STD Maintenance General New here, need tips

New here, need tips

New here, need tips

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jandamerc
K26-2

10-18-2012, 01:40 AM #1
Hi, guys.
Just thought I'd introduce myself and tell alittle about the car I just acquired and hopefully get some tips or corrections lol. Not new to the car scene at all but I am sort of new to the mercedes side of things. I know this will be a long post but please bare with me as I want to give as much info as I can so i can recieve the best assistance.

Just recently acquired a 85 300sd. The car was given to my wife and myself. We are a young couple with a 1 year old. We had to sell my wifes new car b/c of a recent major change in salary.(damn economy) any way, a very close family member gave me this car and an 83 300d parts car.

The 300sd was in what I would call a pretty neglected state. (hey it was free rightBig Grin) The oil was allways changed at correct intervals but I think that was about it. The odometer reads 83K and is broken. The PO said it had not worked the 7 years he had owned. Figured he had put around 250k on it himself. So I am going to guess prolly at least 350 to 400K on this car. When I got it was EXTREMLY sluggish, i mean 0-60 in like 25 seconds. So on to the list of what I have completed so far.

First off Oil change
Changed fuel filters & air(PO had NEVER in 7 years changed the spin on filter, Didn't know it was there)
Cleaned banjo bolt and hooked up and adjusted the alda all the way out.
New battery
used the alternator from the 300d.mine wasn't charging
glow plug relay from 300d (apparently thats y the alt wasn't charging)
Fixed A/C
Cleaned out the in tank fuel screen
adjusted throttle linkage and bowden cable
picked up some decent seats and floormats from local pull a part

Now on to my questions
My 0-60 time is now 16-17 seconds VAST improvement. However it still feels really sluggish up untill the turbo spools and then it is O.K. With the alda adjusted all the way out and revving the engine from idle to about 3.5k RPM I get a small puff of black smoke from the exhaust. Does this mean that I could possibly still be underfueled and I need to completly remove the ALDA or would that even help? Now i know that a plume of smoke is not what u want but with it all the out shouldn't I get more than a little puff?

Plans for the near future.
swap the injectors from the parts car. (it only had 145k when wrecked) so lower mileage injectors
Need to do a valve adjustment. (Hard to do b/c of my work schedule and my wifes school schedule/daycare, can't afford for the car to be down more than a few hours)

Thanks for putting up with the long post. Any tips or criticism I am open.Big Grin
jandamerc
10-18-2012, 01:40 AM #1

Hi, guys.
Just thought I'd introduce myself and tell alittle about the car I just acquired and hopefully get some tips or corrections lol. Not new to the car scene at all but I am sort of new to the mercedes side of things. I know this will be a long post but please bare with me as I want to give as much info as I can so i can recieve the best assistance.

Just recently acquired a 85 300sd. The car was given to my wife and myself. We are a young couple with a 1 year old. We had to sell my wifes new car b/c of a recent major change in salary.(damn economy) any way, a very close family member gave me this car and an 83 300d parts car.

The 300sd was in what I would call a pretty neglected state. (hey it was free rightBig Grin) The oil was allways changed at correct intervals but I think that was about it. The odometer reads 83K and is broken. The PO said it had not worked the 7 years he had owned. Figured he had put around 250k on it himself. So I am going to guess prolly at least 350 to 400K on this car. When I got it was EXTREMLY sluggish, i mean 0-60 in like 25 seconds. So on to the list of what I have completed so far.

First off Oil change
Changed fuel filters & air(PO had NEVER in 7 years changed the spin on filter, Didn't know it was there)
Cleaned banjo bolt and hooked up and adjusted the alda all the way out.
New battery
used the alternator from the 300d.mine wasn't charging
glow plug relay from 300d (apparently thats y the alt wasn't charging)
Fixed A/C
Cleaned out the in tank fuel screen
adjusted throttle linkage and bowden cable
picked up some decent seats and floormats from local pull a part

Now on to my questions
My 0-60 time is now 16-17 seconds VAST improvement. However it still feels really sluggish up untill the turbo spools and then it is O.K. With the alda adjusted all the way out and revving the engine from idle to about 3.5k RPM I get a small puff of black smoke from the exhaust. Does this mean that I could possibly still be underfueled and I need to completly remove the ALDA or would that even help? Now i know that a plume of smoke is not what u want but with it all the out shouldn't I get more than a little puff?

Plans for the near future.
swap the injectors from the parts car. (it only had 145k when wrecked) so lower mileage injectors
Need to do a valve adjustment. (Hard to do b/c of my work schedule and my wifes school schedule/daycare, can't afford for the car to be down more than a few hours)

Thanks for putting up with the long post. Any tips or criticism I am open.Big Grin

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-18-2012, 03:04 AM #2
You could maybe try removing the alda completely, and definitely want to adjust your boost up a little bit also, I think12psi is about where it should be for the amount of fuel your pump is capable of putting out. Another thing that will make a pretty noticeable difference is removing one or both of the mufflers and putting straight sections of pipe in their place. Other than that you seem to be pretty much on top of stuff dude, keep up the good work!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-18-2012, 03:04 AM #2

You could maybe try removing the alda completely, and definitely want to adjust your boost up a little bit also, I think12psi is about where it should be for the amount of fuel your pump is capable of putting out. Another thing that will make a pretty noticeable difference is removing one or both of the mufflers and putting straight sections of pipe in their place. Other than that you seem to be pretty much on top of stuff dude, keep up the good work!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-18-2012, 08:04 AM #3
So....how big do you want to go?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM #3

So....how big do you want to go?

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jandamerc
K26-2

10-18-2012, 08:17 AM #4
(10-18-2012, 08:04 AM)Simpler=Better So....how big do you want to go?

Well, considering this is our only means of transportation at the moment (other than my 79 bronco on 40's that the wife can't drive and only gets 4 mpg) I just wanted to get this thing running correctly. Just get back to where its actually safe to merge onto the interstate LOL.

I forgot to mention I plan on taking the center resonators out and I've got a flowmaster 40 series laying around somewhere to replace the rear muffler.
jandamerc
10-18-2012, 08:17 AM #4

(10-18-2012, 08:04 AM)Simpler=Better So....how big do you want to go?

Well, considering this is our only means of transportation at the moment (other than my 79 bronco on 40's that the wife can't drive and only gets 4 mpg) I just wanted to get this thing running correctly. Just get back to where its actually safe to merge onto the interstate LOL.

I forgot to mention I plan on taking the center resonators out and I've got a flowmaster 40 series laying around somewhere to replace the rear muffler.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-18-2012, 11:21 AM #5
Check out the cheap tricks in my sig. If you have the stock merc muffler, don't cut it out-you won't really notice much vs your wife not liking the noise (presumambly)

Simpler=Better
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM #5

Check out the cheap tricks in my sig. If you have the stock merc muffler, don't cut it out-you won't really notice much vs your wife not liking the noise (presumambly)

jandamerc
K26-2

10-18-2012, 04:16 PM #6
(10-18-2012, 11:21 AM)Simpler=Better Check out the cheap tricks in my sig. If you have the stock merc muffler, don't cut it out-you won't really notice much vs your wife not liking the noise (presumambly)

Thnx, I checked out that link as soon I saw it. just picked up a boost gauge at parts store ($27) gunna hook it up and see what the turbo is actually doing. Looking at a MBC also but I wnat to get the gauge first so I know whats happening. My wife doesn't really care If the cars exhaust is louder she doesn't want it to sound obnoxious. lol. she is cool with a little sound. She just doesn't want ppl to look over and be like WTF!!! when she starts it up.
jandamerc
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM #6

(10-18-2012, 11:21 AM)Simpler=Better Check out the cheap tricks in my sig. If you have the stock merc muffler, don't cut it out-you won't really notice much vs your wife not liking the noise (presumambly)

Thnx, I checked out that link as soon I saw it. just picked up a boost gauge at parts store ($27) gunna hook it up and see what the turbo is actually doing. Looking at a MBC also but I wnat to get the gauge first so I know whats happening. My wife doesn't really care If the cars exhaust is louder she doesn't want it to sound obnoxious. lol. she is cool with a little sound. She just doesn't want ppl to look over and be like WTF!!! when she starts it up.

larsalan
Superturbo

10-18-2012, 06:33 PM #7
Well, straight pipe sounds cool and I think an air filter modification maybe adds to the woosh. I do find my car a little loud for talking on the cell but, I ought to be driving and not talking anyway Wink

Maybe you can start a project thread and add some pics?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-18-2012, 06:33 PM #7

Well, straight pipe sounds cool and I think an air filter modification maybe adds to the woosh. I do find my car a little loud for talking on the cell but, I ought to be driving and not talking anyway Wink

Maybe you can start a project thread and add some pics?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

jandamerc
K26-2

12-16-2012, 08:20 PM #8
Decided I would revive this and let u guys know where the merc is right now.
I replaced the resonators with a section of pipe (things were literally falling apart inside) I left the muffler alone and now its got a little tone to it but not much.
Pulled fuel injectors from my parts car, reads 240k on the odometer so they're not new but they've got A LOT less miles than my old ones.
Also done the valve adjustment.

After all this I don't think It can run any better. 0-60 is in the 15-16 second range. and I'm actually not scared to pass someone on the hwy anymore. lol

I clamped off the line that runs to wastegate to see if I noticed any improvement (never installed the boost gauge). It wasn't any faster with the line clamped at all. So I'm going to assume that my boost pressure is at an acceptable level.

Oh, and for anyone who says the seats are not interchangable b/w models, your wrong.
I searched and searched to find out if I could swap in some w116 seats into my w126(my junkyard seats fell apart, Had some free w116 seats in perfect shape) Every thread I found said NO no NO no it won't work (mb world) what a joke of a site. Any way. they will fit. just take the seats out of the car and unbolt the brackets from them. Then bolt your bracket back to the seat you want. It all lined up perfect. I even checked some w123 seats I had and they line up as well.
This post was last modified: 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM by jandamerc.
jandamerc
12-16-2012, 08:20 PM #8

Decided I would revive this and let u guys know where the merc is right now.
I replaced the resonators with a section of pipe (things were literally falling apart inside) I left the muffler alone and now its got a little tone to it but not much.
Pulled fuel injectors from my parts car, reads 240k on the odometer so they're not new but they've got A LOT less miles than my old ones.

After all this I don't think It can run any better. 0-60 is in the 15-16 second range. and I'm actually not scared to pass someone on the hwy anymore. lol

I clamped off the line that runs to wastegate to see if I noticed any improvement (never installed the boost gauge). It wasn't any faster with the line clamped at all. So I'm going to assume that my boost pressure is at an acceptable level.

Oh, and for anyone who says the seats are not interchangable b/w models, your wrong.
I searched and searched to find out if I could swap in some w116 seats into my w126(my junkyard seats fell apart, Had some free w116 seats in perfect shape) Every thread I found said NO no NO no it won't work (mb world) what a joke of a site. Any way. they will fit. just take the seats out of the car and unbolt the brackets from them. Then bolt your bracket back to the seat you want. It all lined up perfect. I even checked some w123 seats I had and they line up as well.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-17-2012, 09:49 AM #9
(12-16-2012, 08:20 PM)jandamerc Decided I would revive this and let u guys know where the merc is right now.

Make sure you use new crush washers for the injectors every time you pull the injectors.

For more power, make sure your EGR is "operating properly wink wink" and check these things (all cheap):

Timing chain stretch-$20 dial indicator from HF, then the proper $15 offset key from PP

IP timing-JY line cut up (I actually used an injection line from a 60's allis chalmers tractor...same threads and ID as the Merc lines.)

Check the fuel return pressure spring on the IP for it's proper length/pressure. search around here and PP for info

Get a set of injectors rebuilt with new nozzles(150ish total for cheapies? ask greazzer) or at least get them cleaned and balanced ($60). Made my crappy engine 50x better

adjust your rack damper for a smoother idle.

Simpler=Better
12-17-2012, 09:49 AM #9

(12-16-2012, 08:20 PM)jandamerc Decided I would revive this and let u guys know where the merc is right now.

Make sure you use new crush washers for the injectors every time you pull the injectors.

For more power, make sure your EGR is "operating properly wink wink" and check these things (all cheap):

Timing chain stretch-$20 dial indicator from HF, then the proper $15 offset key from PP

IP timing-JY line cut up (I actually used an injection line from a 60's allis chalmers tractor...same threads and ID as the Merc lines.)

Check the fuel return pressure spring on the IP for it's proper length/pressure. search around here and PP for info

Get a set of injectors rebuilt with new nozzles(150ish total for cheapies? ask greazzer) or at least get them cleaned and balanced ($60). Made my crappy engine 50x better

adjust your rack damper for a smoother idle.

jandamerc
K26-2

12-17-2012, 10:12 AM #10
Thanks for the tips. Forgot to mention I had already blocked off the egr. someone had a bought an actual block off kit for one of the parts cars and left it in the trunk. haha.
jandamerc
12-17-2012, 10:12 AM #10

Thanks for the tips. Forgot to mention I had already blocked off the egr. someone had a bought an actual block off kit for one of the parts cars and left it in the trunk. haha.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average