The Sleeper -- The New Project

The Sleeper -- The New Project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Greazzer
Superturbo

10-27-2012, 07:16 AM #1
Introducing “The Sleeper”

Because my Phoenix Project has accelerated to a snail’s pace, I became impatient and just bought “The Sleeper”. Here’s a 20 footer picture of the beast. Drove it slightly over 200 miles last night from Indy headed home. She needs A LOT of work. But, its a 5-speed !

It is a 1983 240D W123 Body which has a 300D NA Engine. What is unique about this car is the GETRAG 717.400 five speed transmission. I picked it up on Friday from Indianapolis and started driving it home to the sunny South. It took about 5 minutes for me to remember how to drive a stick. The PO removed the aluminum rims and tires and few interior parts as part of the sale. Right now, my major concern is possible rust issues and some serious shimmy here and there incurred while driving. I am hoping it is just out-of-balance tires. The PO forgot to mention that the trunk cannot be opened. He drilled out the lock but no luck. SO--

Any tricks on opening the trunk ?

The PO also forgot to tell me that the sending unit does not work. So, after about 80 miles I filled up. I think there will be a lot of "forgot" to mentions ...

I picked up a virtually perfect passenger’s seat a week ago since the original stayed with the PO. Excluding the five-speed, this car is really nice for me because I can play out my R&D without a lot of worry since the real time and energy has been dumped into the Phoenix Project. AND -- this car seems to be one step from the junkyard so any boo-boos are no big deal. Also, this car will have a heavy emphasis of economy instead of performance. I was told it reached approximately 40 mpg. I think around 32 mpg will be my results by the time I get home, but I am driving a little faster than the PO’s numbers. Watching the pavement from the passenger's side and hoping the front doesnt shimmy too much. LOL.

Projects before Christmas – Nothing crazy or fancy.

1. Delete the entire power steering system and install one of the mechanical steering boxes I picked up over the last 12 months. Although I do not anticipate developing arms like Popeye, I do plan on losing some parasitic drag on the engine and gaining about 5 HP and improving my fuel economy by 5-10%

2. Much needed maintenance, to include oil and filter change, valves adjusted, Elsbett Injectors installed, fuel filters, transmission fluid change, and whatever normal stuff since I need a good base line to start from.

3. Mechanical Water Pump Delete. I have my Be Cool 3” aluminum radiator, electric fan, and my Davis-Craig Electric Water Pump (EWP) kit. I have a handful of custom made aluminum parts needed for the modification. Many thanks to Jake! This should lose some parasitic drag on the engine and gaining about 5 HP and improving my fuel economy by5-10%.

4. Alternator Upgrade / Anderson Connectors. The stock 55 Amp will probably be overwhelmed by all the electrical components, so the 150 Amp will be going in. I think this might be the more difficult mod since almost every mod I do will rely on more juice.

5. WVO Conversion: 2-Tank System. Since most WVO conversions have it backwards when it comes to 2-Tanks, I will be putting in a small secondary tank for the diesel and the stock 20+ gallon tank for my grease. Pretty standard WVO conversion to include 30 plate HE, manual valves to switch from #2 to WVO and vice-versa. I will be installing the 2nd fuel filter set up and 200 Watt (about 16 Amp) wrap on that filter also. I think I will be experimenting with electrical solenoids, but I find this part of the conversion somewhat tricky, e.g., cross-contamination issues.

6. Euro Bumper Install. Bought a set, front and back, from a forum member in Hampton, Virginia and I am picking them up next weekend. Burning grease all the way and back from the Richmond area. I have about 300 gallons stored in my backyard and its about one year old. Need to use this stuff up and be liberated from the pump and the man.

7. Water Injection: Simple Devil's Own 200 PSI pump, one .75 or 1.0 gph nozzle, and usage of the big boy 1.67 stock resevoir tank. This is done to clean the engine and combat the WVO issues encountered and not so much performance.

If I can get all 7 of the above done, I will have a car and its engine which just turns one pulley (for the cooler months) and that is the alternator and I will be burning WVO and maybe getting a real 40 mph which is not shabby. I will be shedding about 100 pounds which should give me a few HP too. Not sure the car’s body’s condition will permit a restoration since the hidden rust issues may be too much of a time bandit. So, if that is the case, The Sleeper will probably be in the stable for a few years before it is cannibalized and sold for $220 a ton.

AND -- I forgot. ONE SERIOUS CLEAN ... Inside and out is pretty dirty.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
10-27-2012, 07:16 AM #1

Introducing “The Sleeper”

Because my Phoenix Project has accelerated to a snail’s pace, I became impatient and just bought “The Sleeper”. Here’s a 20 footer picture of the beast. Drove it slightly over 200 miles last night from Indy headed home. She needs A LOT of work. But, its a 5-speed !

It is a 1983 240D W123 Body which has a 300D NA Engine. What is unique about this car is the GETRAG 717.400 five speed transmission. I picked it up on Friday from Indianapolis and started driving it home to the sunny South. It took about 5 minutes for me to remember how to drive a stick. The PO removed the aluminum rims and tires and few interior parts as part of the sale. Right now, my major concern is possible rust issues and some serious shimmy here and there incurred while driving. I am hoping it is just out-of-balance tires. The PO forgot to mention that the trunk cannot be opened. He drilled out the lock but no luck. SO--

Any tricks on opening the trunk ?

The PO also forgot to tell me that the sending unit does not work. So, after about 80 miles I filled up. I think there will be a lot of "forgot" to mentions ...

I picked up a virtually perfect passenger’s seat a week ago since the original stayed with the PO. Excluding the five-speed, this car is really nice for me because I can play out my R&D without a lot of worry since the real time and energy has been dumped into the Phoenix Project. AND -- this car seems to be one step from the junkyard so any boo-boos are no big deal. Also, this car will have a heavy emphasis of economy instead of performance. I was told it reached approximately 40 mpg. I think around 32 mpg will be my results by the time I get home, but I am driving a little faster than the PO’s numbers. Watching the pavement from the passenger's side and hoping the front doesnt shimmy too much. LOL.

Projects before Christmas – Nothing crazy or fancy.

1. Delete the entire power steering system and install one of the mechanical steering boxes I picked up over the last 12 months. Although I do not anticipate developing arms like Popeye, I do plan on losing some parasitic drag on the engine and gaining about 5 HP and improving my fuel economy by 5-10%

2. Much needed maintenance, to include oil and filter change, valves adjusted, Elsbett Injectors installed, fuel filters, transmission fluid change, and whatever normal stuff since I need a good base line to start from.

3. Mechanical Water Pump Delete. I have my Be Cool 3” aluminum radiator, electric fan, and my Davis-Craig Electric Water Pump (EWP) kit. I have a handful of custom made aluminum parts needed for the modification. Many thanks to Jake! This should lose some parasitic drag on the engine and gaining about 5 HP and improving my fuel economy by5-10%.

4. Alternator Upgrade / Anderson Connectors. The stock 55 Amp will probably be overwhelmed by all the electrical components, so the 150 Amp will be going in. I think this might be the more difficult mod since almost every mod I do will rely on more juice.

5. WVO Conversion: 2-Tank System. Since most WVO conversions have it backwards when it comes to 2-Tanks, I will be putting in a small secondary tank for the diesel and the stock 20+ gallon tank for my grease. Pretty standard WVO conversion to include 30 plate HE, manual valves to switch from #2 to WVO and vice-versa. I will be installing the 2nd fuel filter set up and 200 Watt (about 16 Amp) wrap on that filter also. I think I will be experimenting with electrical solenoids, but I find this part of the conversion somewhat tricky, e.g., cross-contamination issues.

6. Euro Bumper Install. Bought a set, front and back, from a forum member in Hampton, Virginia and I am picking them up next weekend. Burning grease all the way and back from the Richmond area. I have about 300 gallons stored in my backyard and its about one year old. Need to use this stuff up and be liberated from the pump and the man.

7. Water Injection: Simple Devil's Own 200 PSI pump, one .75 or 1.0 gph nozzle, and usage of the big boy 1.67 stock resevoir tank. This is done to clean the engine and combat the WVO issues encountered and not so much performance.

If I can get all 7 of the above done, I will have a car and its engine which just turns one pulley (for the cooler months) and that is the alternator and I will be burning WVO and maybe getting a real 40 mph which is not shabby. I will be shedding about 100 pounds which should give me a few HP too. Not sure the car’s body’s condition will permit a restoration since the hidden rust issues may be too much of a time bandit. So, if that is the case, The Sleeper will probably be in the stable for a few years before it is cannibalized and sold for $220 a ton.

AND -- I forgot. ONE SERIOUS CLEAN ... Inside and out is pretty dirty.

Attached Files
Image(s)

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-27-2012, 11:37 AM #2
Would You be interested in buying the Veggie Tank and solenoids off me? I am pulling them from the 240. Lost all my sources of oil around here and the restaurants want like 6 bucks a fuggin gallon. I was like "No"

BTW, give me the 5 speed, or ill kill ya!
This post was last modified: 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM #2

Would You be interested in buying the Veggie Tank and solenoids off me? I am pulling them from the 240. Lost all my sources of oil around here and the restaurants want like 6 bucks a fuggin gallon. I was like "No"

BTW, give me the 5 speed, or ill kill ya!

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-27-2012, 07:55 PM #3
PM Sent for the solonoids

Greazzer
10-27-2012, 07:55 PM #3

PM Sent for the solonoids

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-28-2012, 08:08 PM #4
Here's my current throttle linkage. I have a WTB out there for a 300D NA throttle linkage for M Pump set up out there. Any one ?
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
10-28-2012, 08:08 PM #4

Here's my current throttle linkage. I have a WTB out there for a 300D NA throttle linkage for M Pump set up out there. Any one ?

Attached Files
Image(s)

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-28-2012, 09:32 PM #5
(10-28-2012, 08:08 PM)Greazzer Here's my current throttle linkage. I have a WTB out there for a 300D NA throttle linkage for M Pump set up out there. Any one ?

that looks pretty beat up. Do you have a welder? maybe you should consider making one. Might be worth the hassle
Purplecomputer
10-28-2012, 09:32 PM #5

(10-28-2012, 08:08 PM)Greazzer Here's my current throttle linkage. I have a WTB out there for a 300D NA throttle linkage for M Pump set up out there. Any one ?

that looks pretty beat up. Do you have a welder? maybe you should consider making one. Might be worth the hassle

larsalan
Superturbo

10-28-2012, 10:10 PM #6
I have some of that stuff but not all of it. One time a while back I send some of the ball/cup ends to someone in FL. I could send the parts I have to you if you want. See if you can rig it up

and it's from a turbo 300d. Dunno what parts are different from a NA
This post was last modified: 10-28-2012, 10:10 PM by larsalan.

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM #6

I have some of that stuff but not all of it. One time a while back I send some of the ball/cup ends to someone in FL. I could send the parts I have to you if you want. See if you can rig it up

and it's from a turbo 300d. Dunno what parts are different from a NA

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-29-2012, 08:50 AM #7
Hey guys,

Larsalan -- I passed your exit ! Bloomfield, IND while driving back home. I thought of you while my front end shook like a whirly bird over 60 mph ! LOL.

Yes, it is rough and not just that. Overall my fault for not asking a bunch of questions and asking for some decent photos. I was too hyped up over the five speed Getrag 717.400 plus after seeing an incredibly long write up of all the work done to the old girl, I thought the work was actually done. Even the "Rebuilt Engine" may not be all that rebuilt. Blasted thru 3 quarts of oil in 500+ miles and the great cooling system is not so great as it overeheats, and the list goes on and on.

I found the throttle bushing. The ball and cap thing. BRAND NEW or just about that.

I really need a picture of what the throttle accerator set up is supposed to look like on the 300D NA. I found in my garage in a big box of junk a spare, but I dont think the M pump and MW pump setups are the same. I have the turbo set up. Thanks anyway. This is the BEST forum out there. Period.

ANY Pictures PLEASE !!!!!!

Thanks again,

Greazzer
10-29-2012, 08:50 AM #7

Hey guys,

Larsalan -- I passed your exit ! Bloomfield, IND while driving back home. I thought of you while my front end shook like a whirly bird over 60 mph ! LOL.

Yes, it is rough and not just that. Overall my fault for not asking a bunch of questions and asking for some decent photos. I was too hyped up over the five speed Getrag 717.400 plus after seeing an incredibly long write up of all the work done to the old girl, I thought the work was actually done. Even the "Rebuilt Engine" may not be all that rebuilt. Blasted thru 3 quarts of oil in 500+ miles and the great cooling system is not so great as it overeheats, and the list goes on and on.

I found the throttle bushing. The ball and cap thing. BRAND NEW or just about that.

I really need a picture of what the throttle accerator set up is supposed to look like on the 300D NA. I found in my garage in a big box of junk a spare, but I dont think the M pump and MW pump setups are the same. I have the turbo set up. Thanks anyway. This is the BEST forum out there. Period.

Thanks again,

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-29-2012, 11:17 AM #8
(10-29-2012, 08:50 AM)Greazzer .......

Thanks again,

Here is a later setup with EGR controls I posted a while back. Just overlook the EGR control.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1952]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1950]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1951]

Without the EGR controls

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1942]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1941]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1943]

This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM by DeliveryValve.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM #8

(10-29-2012, 08:50 AM)Greazzer .......

Thanks again,

Here is a later setup with EGR controls I posted a while back. Just overlook the EGR control.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1952]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1950]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1951]

Without the EGR controls

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1942]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1941]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1943]

larsalan
Superturbo

10-29-2012, 01:50 PM #9
Oh yes, I remember you said you would be going past here on your voyage home. My home is south of Bloomington not Bloomfield so we are like 30 miles south/east of the Bloomfield.

larsalan
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM #9

Oh yes, I remember you said you would be going past here on your voyage home. My home is south of Bloomington not Bloomfield so we are like 30 miles south/east of the Bloomfield.

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-29-2012, 08:46 PM #10
I think I have captured the rust bucket of the year award. Although I got the Getrag 717.400 five speed, look at the disaster I bougt. This will teach everyone out there to not buy a car unseen with one's own eyes, to rely on a few photos which on reflection really showed almost nothing, and not to rely on a long narrative of all the work that was done over the past 6-7 years. This might end up as soup cans real soon. Sooooooooo, any one interested in buying a fully functional Getrag 717.400 Five Speed Transmission ?
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
10-29-2012, 08:46 PM #10

I think I have captured the rust bucket of the year award. Although I got the Getrag 717.400 five speed, look at the disaster I bougt. This will teach everyone out there to not buy a car unseen with one's own eyes, to rely on a few photos which on reflection really showed almost nothing, and not to rely on a long narrative of all the work that was done over the past 6-7 years. This might end up as soup cans real soon. Sooooooooo, any one interested in buying a fully functional Getrag 717.400 Five Speed Transmission ?

Attached Files
Image(s)

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-29-2012, 09:01 PM #11
Hmmm, how much? lol

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM #11

Hmmm, how much? lol

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-29-2012, 09:30 PM #12
IF, and IF the engine is not screwed up, then I am sort of OK with the transaction. Problem is that the assurances of a really sound mechanical car are not panning out right now.

The 5 speed. Jury is still out for the car right now.

Greazzer
10-29-2012, 09:30 PM #12

IF, and IF the engine is not screwed up, then I am sort of OK with the transaction. Problem is that the assurances of a really sound mechanical car are not panning out right now.

The 5 speed. Jury is still out for the car right now.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-29-2012, 09:34 PM #13
Forsure, well hopefully everything with the car works out for ya'

sassparilla_kid
10-29-2012, 09:34 PM #13

Forsure, well hopefully everything with the car works out for ya'

larsalan
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 07:36 AM #14
I had one that rusty. You could see the road going by from inside the cab and you needed to be extremely careful with your pocket change Wink

larsalan
10-30-2012, 07:36 AM #14

I had one that rusty. You could see the road going by from inside the cab and you needed to be extremely careful with your pocket change Wink

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 08:32 AM #15
Yes you can see the road as you drive ... LOL. I wished the PO pointed this extra feature out ! LOL

Greazzer
10-30-2012, 08:32 AM #15

Yes you can see the road as you drive ... LOL. I wished the PO pointed this extra feature out ! LOL

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-30-2012, 09:30 AM #16
My DD had rust worse than that and I towed 3klb loads to/from rochester a couple times (200 miles one way)

I'd use it as a test platform until the Phoenix Project is done, then scrap it. Shoot some primer on the rust, and rivet some scrap metal over the big holes.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM #16

My DD had rust worse than that and I towed 3klb loads to/from rochester a couple times (200 miles one way)

I'd use it as a test platform until the Phoenix Project is done, then scrap it. Shoot some primer on the rust, and rivet some scrap metal over the big holes.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 09:44 AM #17
I've replaced a rocker panel and floorboard before in a W123. Not fun. The rest of the car would have to be pretty exceptional to justify doing a job like that.
raysorenson
10-30-2012, 09:44 AM #17

I've replaced a rocker panel and floorboard before in a W123. Not fun. The rest of the car would have to be pretty exceptional to justify doing a job like that.

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 09:48 AM #18
The rest of the car is not exceptional. Rust all over.

I got a truly rust free floor from my skeleton of a part's car. As for the pans, I was thinking of just glueing them in with "Fusion" product. All the tests so far indicate stronger than welding.

BTW -- Did they make a NON-EGR Exhaust manifold for the NA 300D ?

Greazzer
10-30-2012, 09:48 AM #18

The rest of the car is not exceptional. Rust all over.

I got a truly rust free floor from my skeleton of a part's car. As for the pans, I was thinking of just glueing them in with "Fusion" product. All the tests so far indicate stronger than welding.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

10-30-2012, 10:15 AM #19
(10-30-2012, 09:48 AM)Greazzer The rest of the car is not exceptional. Rust all over.

Whats your driver side fender like? If the paint is good (no cracks, chips, or rust) I might want to buy it off ya.
Purplecomputer
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM #19

(10-30-2012, 09:48 AM)Greazzer The rest of the car is not exceptional. Rust all over.

Whats your driver side fender like? If the paint is good (no cracks, chips, or rust) I might want to buy it off ya.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 11:45 AM #20
(10-30-2012, 09:48 AM)Greazzer ....

Yes.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thre...l#pid17181

DeliveryValve
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM #20

(10-30-2012, 09:48 AM)Greazzer ....

Yes.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thre...l#pid17181

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 12:02 PM #21
THANKS !

Left Fender ? I will take some pictures, but if its like the rest of the car, it's is a rust drop in a bucket of rust ... LOL. If its not, then you'll end up with a piece of the car which is not a mess.
Maybe a swap for those solonoids. Shipping Greyhound OK ? Let me know.

Greazzer
10-30-2012, 12:02 PM #21

THANKS !

Left Fender ? I will take some pictures, but if its like the rest of the car, it's is a rust drop in a bucket of rust ... LOL. If its not, then you'll end up with a piece of the car which is not a mess.
Maybe a swap for those solonoids. Shipping Greyhound OK ? Let me know.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

10-30-2012, 06:27 PM #22
(10-30-2012, 12:02 PM)Greazzer THANKS !

I do believe there is one at my local yard right now. Of course there would be a pulling fee on top the yard charges. Those Yorks are a pain in the arse!

DeliveryValve
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM #22

(10-30-2012, 12:02 PM)Greazzer THANKS !

I do believe there is one at my local yard right now. Of course there would be a pulling fee on top the yard charges. Those Yorks are a pain in the arse!

Greazzer
Superturbo

10-31-2012, 08:34 AM #23
What's at the yard ? The linkage ?

Greazzer
10-31-2012, 08:34 AM #23

What's at the yard ? The linkage ?

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-01-2012, 07:44 PM #24
I did some much needed maintenance after work. A long 2 hours.

I drained the trans, added Dexron, drove it about 1-2 miles, drained it again and added the good stuff. The stuff that came out the first time was black like used motor oil from an engine. The flush came out not perfectly pink, but pretty close. SUPER improvement over before. I still got a grind from shift from 3rd to 2nd, but I can go a few more miles per hour before the grind. However, the trans overall is SUPER right now. VERY pleased. The PO did just disclose today that he shaved too much off the FW so now I got to worry about that. Plus, I had to swap him a GREAT FW. So, I gave up a great FW in return for a not so hot FW plus money. Whatever.

I drained the rear differential. That crap came out like water. Not real happy with that.

I distintly recall the PO claiming that the car might have a few cosmetic issues but it was mechanically sound. I think our views differ ... LOL.

Right now, I need to track down why I do not have any rear back up lights. Also, I need to figure out how to adjust my rear brakes -- emergency brakes. I have taken 2 cracks at it and failed.

This weekend I am doing some STD mods --

Elsbett Injectors and my mechanical steering box and getting rid of the PS set up. The power steering box and the entire set up is for sale. The box steers nice and does not leack. Same with pump and hoses. Adjusting the valves and valve cover gasket too. I think I am about halfway done the maintenance I plan on doing. Next is exhaust and brakes. The header pipe partial broke off . Totally rotten and the front rotors have to be warped.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
11-01-2012, 07:44 PM #24

I did some much needed maintenance after work. A long 2 hours.

I drained the trans, added Dexron, drove it about 1-2 miles, drained it again and added the good stuff. The stuff that came out the first time was black like used motor oil from an engine. The flush came out not perfectly pink, but pretty close. SUPER improvement over before. I still got a grind from shift from 3rd to 2nd, but I can go a few more miles per hour before the grind. However, the trans overall is SUPER right now. VERY pleased. The PO did just disclose today that he shaved too much off the FW so now I got to worry about that. Plus, I had to swap him a GREAT FW. So, I gave up a great FW in return for a not so hot FW plus money. Whatever.

I drained the rear differential. That crap came out like water. Not real happy with that.

I distintly recall the PO claiming that the car might have a few cosmetic issues but it was mechanically sound. I think our views differ ... LOL.

Right now, I need to track down why I do not have any rear back up lights. Also, I need to figure out how to adjust my rear brakes -- emergency brakes. I have taken 2 cracks at it and failed.

Elsbett Injectors and my mechanical steering box and getting rid of the PS set up. The power steering box and the entire set up is for sale. The box steers nice and does not leack. Same with pump and hoses. Adjusting the valves and valve cover gasket too. I think I am about halfway done the maintenance I plan on doing. Next is exhaust and brakes. The header pipe partial broke off . Totally rotten and the front rotors have to be warped.

Attached Files
Image(s)

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

11-01-2012, 07:54 PM #25
(10-31-2012, 08:34 AM)Greazzer What's at the yard ? The linkage ?

Lots of stuff, linkages a good bet. Can't head out there until next week though.

DeliveryValve
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM #25

(10-31-2012, 08:34 AM)Greazzer What's at the yard ? The linkage ?

Lots of stuff, linkages a good bet. Can't head out there until next week though.

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-01-2012, 07:58 PM #26
Thanks Richard. Keep me posted.

I have a really nice bounty out there by way of USED, but super nice Bosch Nozzles in rebuilt Injectors, pop tested, cleaned, and balanced SHIPPED !

Greazzer
11-01-2012, 07:58 PM #26

Thanks Richard. Keep me posted.

I have a really nice bounty out there by way of USED, but super nice Bosch Nozzles in rebuilt Injectors, pop tested, cleaned, and balanced SHIPPED !

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-02-2012, 08:09 AM #27
(11-01-2012, 07:44 PM)Greazzer Right now, I need to track down why I do not have any rear back up lights. Also, I need to figure out how to adjust my rear brakes -- emergency brakes. I have taken 2 cracks at it and failed.

Next is exhaust and brakes. The header pipe partial broke off . Totally rotten and the front rotors have to be warped.

The E brake is like any other drum brake. I like to set them so that they juuuust start to drag on the drums, then leave it. It will wear a small amount driving around (for a bit) but you can slide the rear with brakes that tight.

Wrap your header, whatever type you end up getting. It's worth it, even on an NA motor. Eb*y generic cheap stuff is fine, just hit it with a heavy coat of paint after you've backed the water out. Helps to cut down on the splinters.

I have a set of W123 rotors (unknown if front or rear) that were new (in 08) and now have some rust on em. Also up north in the parts pile. They're yours for shipping (If I can get my brother to dig them out for pictures)

For the backup lights check the switch on the (linkage? trans?) then fuses and trunk ground. my trunk ground was completely rotted away on my 300d.

Simpler=Better
11-02-2012, 08:09 AM #27

(11-01-2012, 07:44 PM)Greazzer Right now, I need to track down why I do not have any rear back up lights. Also, I need to figure out how to adjust my rear brakes -- emergency brakes. I have taken 2 cracks at it and failed.

Next is exhaust and brakes. The header pipe partial broke off . Totally rotten and the front rotors have to be warped.

The E brake is like any other drum brake. I like to set them so that they juuuust start to drag on the drums, then leave it. It will wear a small amount driving around (for a bit) but you can slide the rear with brakes that tight.

Wrap your header, whatever type you end up getting. It's worth it, even on an NA motor. Eb*y generic cheap stuff is fine, just hit it with a heavy coat of paint after you've backed the water out. Helps to cut down on the splinters.

I have a set of W123 rotors (unknown if front or rear) that were new (in 08) and now have some rust on em. Also up north in the parts pile. They're yours for shipping (If I can get my brother to dig them out for pictures)

For the backup lights check the switch on the (linkage? trans?) then fuses and trunk ground. my trunk ground was completely rotted away on my 300d.

JB3
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 08:59 AM #28
(10-29-2012, 08:46 PM)Greazzer I think I have captured the rust bucket of the year award. Although I got the Getrag 717.400 five speed, look at the disaster I bougt. This will teach everyone out there to not buy a car unseen with one's own eyes, to rely on a few photos which on reflection really showed almost nothing, and not to rely on a long narrative of all the work that was done over the past 6-7 years. This might end up as soup cans real soon. Sooooooooo, any one interested in buying a fully functional Getrag 717.400 Five Speed Transmission ?

aint so bad. here, this will make you feel better-

[Image: 014.jpg]
[Image: 0032.jpg]

(11-01-2012, 07:44 PM)Greazzer I did some much needed maintenance after work. A long 2 hours.

I drained the trans, added Dexron, drove it about 1-2 miles, drained it again and added the good stuff. The stuff that came out the first time was black like used motor oil from an engine. The flush came out not perfectly pink, but pretty close. SUPER improvement over before. I still got a grind from shift from 3rd to 2nd, but I can go a few more miles per hour before the grind. However, the trans overall is SUPER right now. VERY pleased. [undefined=undefined]The PO did just disclose today that he shaved too much off the FW so now I got to worry about that. Plus, I had to swap him a GREAT FW. So, I gave up a great FW in return for a not so hot FW plus money. Whatever.[/undefined]

are we talking the 38lb 300D NA flywheel, or is this using a standard 240D 28lb flywheel?

If so, I have a 240 flywheel sitting on my shelf if you need it.

Also, with the grinding, maybe you answered this question already, but how are the shift bushings on both the gearbox and shifter ends? Maybe the grinding could be related to those being worn.
This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM by JB3.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
11-02-2012, 08:59 AM #28

(10-29-2012, 08:46 PM)Greazzer I think I have captured the rust bucket of the year award. Although I got the Getrag 717.400 five speed, look at the disaster I bougt. This will teach everyone out there to not buy a car unseen with one's own eyes, to rely on a few photos which on reflection really showed almost nothing, and not to rely on a long narrative of all the work that was done over the past 6-7 years. This might end up as soup cans real soon. Sooooooooo, any one interested in buying a fully functional Getrag 717.400 Five Speed Transmission ?

aint so bad. here, this will make you feel better-

[Image: 014.jpg]
[Image: 0032.jpg]

(11-01-2012, 07:44 PM)Greazzer I did some much needed maintenance after work. A long 2 hours.

I drained the trans, added Dexron, drove it about 1-2 miles, drained it again and added the good stuff. The stuff that came out the first time was black like used motor oil from an engine. The flush came out not perfectly pink, but pretty close. SUPER improvement over before. I still got a grind from shift from 3rd to 2nd, but I can go a few more miles per hour before the grind. However, the trans overall is SUPER right now. VERY pleased. [undefined=undefined]The PO did just disclose today that he shaved too much off the FW so now I got to worry about that. Plus, I had to swap him a GREAT FW. So, I gave up a great FW in return for a not so hot FW plus money. Whatever.[/undefined]

are we talking the 38lb 300D NA flywheel, or is this using a standard 240D 28lb flywheel?

If so, I have a 240 flywheel sitting on my shelf if you need it.

Also, with the grinding, maybe you answered this question already, but how are the shift bushings on both the gearbox and shifter ends? Maybe the grinding could be related to those being worn.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 10:55 AM #29
It has the 38 pounder, but thanks anyway. I'm just a little pissy right now since the PO really did not disclose all the issues and I kick myself in the butt for not asking questions. Actually, when you read his add and compare it against what I got, they really don't add up.

I agree about the grinding maybe being associated with the bushings and they do need to be replaced. I got a lot of slop in the shifter right now, but the trans is 100% better with the fluid flush and then refill with the good stuff. I can tell that the PO squirted some oil up on one of the shift arms from underneath. For a guy with a zillion posts on a different forum, and telling me the car was mechanically sound, I just have to wonder what makes folks tick. But, as I said, if you get lemons, make lemonaid.

Yes -- your rust beats my rust.

In the spirt of superturbodiesel, I got the old girl up to 80 mph and I had some throttle left. Just got nervous since I have no emergency brakes and my front brakes kinda suck. That is a project within the next few weeks along with a hub rebuild. Another mechanical major issue. I wanted this to be my DD ASAP to start burning grease, but too many mechanical issues which pose a safety issue.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
11-02-2012, 10:55 AM #29

It has the 38 pounder, but thanks anyway. I'm just a little pissy right now since the PO really did not disclose all the issues and I kick myself in the butt for not asking questions. Actually, when you read his add and compare it against what I got, they really don't add up.

I agree about the grinding maybe being associated with the bushings and they do need to be replaced. I got a lot of slop in the shifter right now, but the trans is 100% better with the fluid flush and then refill with the good stuff. I can tell that the PO squirted some oil up on one of the shift arms from underneath. For a guy with a zillion posts on a different forum, and telling me the car was mechanically sound, I just have to wonder what makes folks tick. But, as I said, if you get lemons, make lemonaid.

In the spirt of superturbodiesel, I got the old girl up to 80 mph and I had some throttle left. Just got nervous since I have no emergency brakes and my front brakes kinda suck. That is a project within the next few weeks along with a hub rebuild. Another mechanical major issue. I wanted this to be my DD ASAP to start burning grease, but too many mechanical issues which pose a safety issue.

Attached Files
Image(s)

JB3
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 01:32 PM #30
(11-02-2012, 10:55 AM)Greazzer It has the 38 pounder, but thanks anyway. I'm just a little pissy right now since the PO really did not disclose all the issues and I kick myself in the butt for not asking questions. Actually, when you read his add and compare it against what I got, they really don't add up.

well, thats a real bummer that the car was not the same as advertised, it sure seems like you have a lot of catching up to do which was totally unexpected.
Anyone would be pissy given the circumstances. Ive had lots of pure rage moments when I found stuff previously done. Just recently on my VW, i had to take the entire dash/climate control apart to remove the A/C evaporator that the PO had helpfully twisted off the fittings at the firewall, instead of simply disconnecting the damn thing.

I figure if you hit the rust with a few coats of VO, it will not expand from where it is. Big Grin
That stuff polymerized into a rubbery substance beats any undercoating ive personally encountered, should lock the rust issue down or greatly slow it for years.

is the ignition key busted in the pic?

I have some tach stuff laying around as well, if you want to put one in, ill look around
This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM by JB3.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
11-02-2012, 01:32 PM #30

(11-02-2012, 10:55 AM)Greazzer It has the 38 pounder, but thanks anyway. I'm just a little pissy right now since the PO really did not disclose all the issues and I kick myself in the butt for not asking questions. Actually, when you read his add and compare it against what I got, they really don't add up.

well, thats a real bummer that the car was not the same as advertised, it sure seems like you have a lot of catching up to do which was totally unexpected.
Anyone would be pissy given the circumstances. Ive had lots of pure rage moments when I found stuff previously done. Just recently on my VW, i had to take the entire dash/climate control apart to remove the A/C evaporator that the PO had helpfully twisted off the fittings at the firewall, instead of simply disconnecting the damn thing.

I figure if you hit the rust with a few coats of VO, it will not expand from where it is. Big Grin
That stuff polymerized into a rubbery substance beats any undercoating ive personally encountered, should lock the rust issue down or greatly slow it for years.

is the ignition key busted in the pic?

I have some tach stuff laying around as well, if you want to put one in, ill look around

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

larsalan
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 03:11 PM #31
I can hardly believe you came over to indy to get that thing. I had always thought the most of the 300d were on either coast and in particular the west coast. We are kinda dry up here in the middle of the country.
I hear all these guys saying they get 300d for like $300, $400, $600
not the case here, I thought I met a cool dude at the lowes one day a bit ago. He was all like, 'I dig 300d om617'
Then he says he has some scrappy ones and parts in his yard. I say I might would want a 617 to put in a truck and he's like, '$650'. Fuck all that shit. And I always see them cars for like $800-$2000 on CL
I think it is maybe harder to get the smokin deal that a lot of people lead you to believe is always around the corner. So, sometimes if you get a cheap one there are a lot of reasons it is so cheap.
But, I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of rust or some scummy fluids. We know you will have it running better than a deere in no time Wink

larsalan
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM #31

I can hardly believe you came over to indy to get that thing. I had always thought the most of the 300d were on either coast and in particular the west coast. We are kinda dry up here in the middle of the country.
I hear all these guys saying they get 300d for like $300, $400, $600
not the case here, I thought I met a cool dude at the lowes one day a bit ago. He was all like, 'I dig 300d om617'
Then he says he has some scrappy ones and parts in his yard. I say I might would want a 617 to put in a truck and he's like, '$650'. Fuck all that shit. And I always see them cars for like $800-$2000 on CL
I think it is maybe harder to get the smokin deal that a lot of people lead you to believe is always around the corner. So, sometimes if you get a cheap one there are a lot of reasons it is so cheap.
But, I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of rust or some scummy fluids. We know you will have it running better than a deere in no time Wink

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

11-02-2012, 03:17 PM #32
Supposedly $300 for an engine from the yard out here lol

sassparilla_kid
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM #32

Supposedly $300 for an engine from the yard out here lol

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 03:17 PM #33
No .. the key is not busted. I was driving to work. What is funny is that fact that after I posted SOME of the problems I found out about ... I got a PM from the PO telling me he legally did his duties and started talking legal mumbo jumbo and that his add was just fine. LOL. And, he offered me $150.00. What is funny is that when I went to put the spare tire in the trunk before driving off in Indy, he told me ... "Oh, I forgot to tell you, you cannot open the trunk." .... After driving about 80+ miles, the fuel gauge did not budge. I called the PO and asked him if the gauge was OK ... guess the response ..."Oh, I forgot to mention that ..." I could write an incredibly long list of "I forgot to tell you ..." Even the battery was junk. I drove it 13 hours and it would not hold a charge which made the drive a challange and the so called great radiator and cooling system overheated before I hit Lexington, KY.

The car just has rust and rot everywhere and every single mechancial system is screwed up except the power steering system which I am deleting anyway and the front passenger regulator which I am selling. The car has 3 out of 4 manual regualtors, but 2 of the manual regulators are broken and both front interior door handles are broken so right now I cannot lock the car doors or the trunk. What is ultimately funny is that he called the car "his gem" and actually had it listed for $4K+ a few years ago, and now at $3,500 or BO. I wasted $2,000 and a Flywheel plus my free airfare voucher on $250 scrap and a five speed trans. Even the so call rebuilt engine has low compressoin.... BUT, I will get the old girl up and running in STD tradition !!!!!!!!!!

Greazzer
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM #33

No .. the key is not busted. I was driving to work. What is funny is that fact that after I posted SOME of the problems I found out about ... I got a PM from the PO telling me he legally did his duties and started talking legal mumbo jumbo and that his add was just fine. LOL. And, he offered me $150.00. What is funny is that when I went to put the spare tire in the trunk before driving off in Indy, he told me ... "Oh, I forgot to tell you, you cannot open the trunk." .... After driving about 80+ miles, the fuel gauge did not budge. I called the PO and asked him if the gauge was OK ... guess the response ..."Oh, I forgot to mention that ..." I could write an incredibly long list of "I forgot to tell you ..." Even the battery was junk. I drove it 13 hours and it would not hold a charge which made the drive a challange and the so called great radiator and cooling system overheated before I hit Lexington, KY.

The car just has rust and rot everywhere and every single mechancial system is screwed up except the power steering system which I am deleting anyway and the front passenger regulator which I am selling. The car has 3 out of 4 manual regualtors, but 2 of the manual regulators are broken and both front interior door handles are broken so right now I cannot lock the car doors or the trunk. What is ultimately funny is that he called the car "his gem" and actually had it listed for $4K+ a few years ago, and now at $3,500 or BO. I wasted $2,000 and a Flywheel plus my free airfare voucher on $250 scrap and a five speed trans. Even the so call rebuilt engine has low compressoin.... BUT, I will get the old girl up and running in STD tradition !!!!!!!!!!

JB3
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 03:47 PM #34
hmmm, you paid 2k for it?

I wouldn't feel too badly about what you paid, yeah the car has rust, but if what you posted is the worst parts, its not outrageous, or at least not a killer, and yeah it has a bunch of issues, but even still, 2k for a NA 617 mated to an uber rare 5-speed is not terrible.

Ive paid far more cash for far more crappy cars, none as rare.

Im with larsalan, you are sorting, and well on your way to making it a good sorted DD, and in the end, if you have a 3.5k 5-speed NA 617 5cyl with some rust, id still consider it an ok deal, and you could turn around and sell if for that probably.

every car I ever paid 500 bucks for I ended up sinking twice to 3 times that into it later to sort it.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
11-02-2012, 03:47 PM #34

hmmm, you paid 2k for it?

I wouldn't feel too badly about what you paid, yeah the car has rust, but if what you posted is the worst parts, its not outrageous, or at least not a killer, and yeah it has a bunch of issues, but even still, 2k for a NA 617 mated to an uber rare 5-speed is not terrible.

Ive paid far more cash for far more crappy cars, none as rare.

Im with larsalan, you are sorting, and well on your way to making it a good sorted DD, and in the end, if you have a 3.5k 5-speed NA 617 5cyl with some rust, id still consider it an ok deal, and you could turn around and sell if for that probably.

every car I ever paid 500 bucks for I ended up sinking twice to 3 times that into it later to sort it.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-02-2012, 06:37 PM #35
You forgot the $450.00 imputed value for the FW I swapped which was hand delivered. Perfectly machined and balanced. So far, I dropped the equivelant of $3,375 on the car. That includes my airfare, which was free, a day of vacation, et cet. Not to whine, but I just wish I knew the real deal since I would have probably never bought the car in the first place. I guess that is the real issue at hand. I really didnt want another super project. But I certianly got one.

I will be posting some real juicy pictures of the rust and rot. Its nasty underneath the old girl. I saved the best for last ! HA HA

Greazzer
11-02-2012, 06:37 PM #35

You forgot the $450.00 imputed value for the FW I swapped which was hand delivered. Perfectly machined and balanced. So far, I dropped the equivelant of $3,375 on the car. That includes my airfare, which was free, a day of vacation, et cet. Not to whine, but I just wish I knew the real deal since I would have probably never bought the car in the first place. I guess that is the real issue at hand. I really didnt want another super project. But I certianly got one.

I will be posting some real juicy pictures of the rust and rot. Its nasty underneath the old girl. I saved the best for last ! HA HA

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-04-2012, 06:28 PM #36
Spent about 5 hours this weekend to do some really long over due maintenace. She's really peppy right now.

So, realizing that I had about 2 good hours to work on the old girl on Sunday, I made the most of it. I determined that no way is the belt "slipping" so I found one of my stashed thermostats. A Behr 80C -- a nice little gem. I tried removing the old one but snapped 2 bolts. They were frozen in there good. I then realized that the gasket fossilized, so who knows how old that deal is. BUT, I got the snapped bolts out and installed the new thermostat. GUESS WHAT -- No more overheating ... at least yet. The lower radiator hose is about ready to go. Rotten at the bottom, but I am OK with that until it explodes since I do not want to invest any money on the cooling system now when I am working on converting to EWP. However, she really does drive nice now.

So, just celebrated my first week with "The Sleeper" and

1. I drained, flushed, and refilled the tranny
2. drained and refilled differential.
3. Oil and oil filter change
4. Adjust edthe Valves and VC Gasket and buffed the VC for a little over an hour on Saturday. Pretty shinny.
5. New Injectors with Heat Shields.
6. New Thermostat and gasket with new bolts
7. Adjusted rear parking brakes although they are basically shot

As for things fixed, here's a partial list

1. Fuel Sending Unit
2. Washer Fluid Resevoir and pump
3. Trunk opened but no new lock yet
4. New Wiper Blades

Things that must get done this week:

1. New Oil Pan and Gasket. Need to figure out how to save or capture my new oil since that costs more than a new oil pan and gasket. That is sad ...

2. Exhaust. Header pipe is half way busted right now. I got a new header pipe and new manifold gasket. I got some serious manifold leaks also.

3. Tracking down any more leaks since I am finding them here and there.

4. Finding my key to the trunk lock and fixing the front door locks so I can lock the doors.

MODS which I missed out this weekend because of the extra work involved in Maintenance

1. Getting rid of the Power Steering and putting in the mechanical box

2. Getting rid of the non functioning A/C system. I won't need it until March so I got time to rebuild it correctly.

3. Installing my 150 AMP Altenator

4. Relocating my new battery to the trunk

5. Installing my WVO system -- way over engineered but I like it.

I NEED To SOURCE a NON-EGR Exhaust Manifold and a throttle linkage. Any one out there ????????????????
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
11-04-2012, 06:28 PM #36

Spent about 5 hours this weekend to do some really long over due maintenace. She's really peppy right now.

So, realizing that I had about 2 good hours to work on the old girl on Sunday, I made the most of it. I determined that no way is the belt "slipping" so I found one of my stashed thermostats. A Behr 80C -- a nice little gem. I tried removing the old one but snapped 2 bolts. They were frozen in there good. I then realized that the gasket fossilized, so who knows how old that deal is. BUT, I got the snapped bolts out and installed the new thermostat. GUESS WHAT -- No more overheating ... at least yet. The lower radiator hose is about ready to go. Rotten at the bottom, but I am OK with that until it explodes since I do not want to invest any money on the cooling system now when I am working on converting to EWP. However, she really does drive nice now.

So, just celebrated my first week with "The Sleeper" and

1. I drained, flushed, and refilled the tranny
2. drained and refilled differential.
3. Oil and oil filter change
4. Adjust edthe Valves and VC Gasket and buffed the VC for a little over an hour on Saturday. Pretty shinny.
5. New Injectors with Heat Shields.
6. New Thermostat and gasket with new bolts
7. Adjusted rear parking brakes although they are basically shot

As for things fixed, here's a partial list

1. Fuel Sending Unit
2. Washer Fluid Resevoir and pump
3. Trunk opened but no new lock yet
4. New Wiper Blades

Things that must get done this week:

1. New Oil Pan and Gasket. Need to figure out how to save or capture my new oil since that costs more than a new oil pan and gasket. That is sad ...

2. Exhaust. Header pipe is half way busted right now. I got a new header pipe and new manifold gasket. I got some serious manifold leaks also.

3. Tracking down any more leaks since I am finding them here and there.

4. Finding my key to the trunk lock and fixing the front door locks so I can lock the doors.

MODS which I missed out this weekend because of the extra work involved in Maintenance

1. Getting rid of the Power Steering and putting in the mechanical box

2. Getting rid of the non functioning A/C system. I won't need it until March so I got time to rebuild it correctly.

3. Installing my 150 AMP Altenator

4. Relocating my new battery to the trunk

5. Installing my WVO system -- way over engineered but I like it.

I NEED To SOURCE a NON-EGR Exhaust Manifold and a throttle linkage. Any one out there ????????????????

Attached Files
Image(s)

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-04-2012, 06:48 PM #37
IIRC the lower radiator hose is very similar to a Ranger (4cyl 88-2000) upper radiator hose..which is like $8. Might want to get a look side by side at the parts store.

Simpler=Better
11-04-2012, 06:48 PM #37

IIRC the lower radiator hose is very similar to a Ranger (4cyl 88-2000) upper radiator hose..which is like $8. Might want to get a look side by side at the parts store.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

11-04-2012, 07:17 PM #38
Looks awesome! keep it up
Purplecomputer
11-04-2012, 07:17 PM #38

Looks awesome! keep it up

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-04-2012, 08:00 PM #39
BTW -- did you survive the storm ?

BTWx2 -- whats the word on the solonoids ? Still super interested !

Greazzer
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM #39

BTW -- did you survive the storm ?

BTWx2 -- whats the word on the solonoids ? Still super interested !

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-05-2012, 12:45 PM #40
A little better snappy of the rebuilt injectors and new return lines and my semi-polished valve cover. At least the injectors look new ... LOL
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM #40

A little better snappy of the rebuilt injectors and new return lines and my semi-polished valve cover. At least the injectors look new ... LOL

Attached Files
Image(s)

JB3
Superturbo

11-06-2012, 01:47 PM #41
you are blowing through this issues you listed, which is gratifying. Big Grin
in zero time it seems it will be ready

on the key, is the trunk lock original to the car? can you take the title with the vin down to a dealer and see if they can cut you a key?

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
11-06-2012, 01:47 PM #41

you are blowing through this issues you listed, which is gratifying. Big Grin
in zero time it seems it will be ready

on the key, is the trunk lock original to the car? can you take the title with the vin down to a dealer and see if they can cut you a key?

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-06-2012, 02:44 PM #42
IDK. I have an extra trunk lock component, but I cannot find the damn key. If I had that, I would be OK in the short term. Heck or high water I am doing my first of 8 STD Mods this Thursday evening ! Removal of the PS system and install of the mechanical steering box !

Greazzer
11-06-2012, 02:44 PM #42

IDK. I have an extra trunk lock component, but I cannot find the damn key. If I had that, I would be OK in the short term. Heck or high water I am doing my first of 8 STD Mods this Thursday evening ! Removal of the PS system and install of the mechanical steering box !

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-06-2012, 03:05 PM #43
The trunk in my car NEVER locked ever-the PO drilled out the lock and I removed the assembly and made it so you had to poke your finger in juuuust right to get it open. Was a decent redneck security feature, and faster to open than a keyed lock.

Simpler=Better
11-06-2012, 03:05 PM #43

The trunk in my car NEVER locked ever-the PO drilled out the lock and I removed the assembly and made it so you had to poke your finger in juuuust right to get it open. Was a decent redneck security feature, and faster to open than a keyed lock.

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-07-2012, 08:36 PM #44
Finally !

Here is my first mod to the Sleeper ! It is going on tomorrow evening.

I am getting rid of the parasitic power robbing Power Steering System altogether and installing my mechanical steering box. Here are a few pictures. Although I do not know how much HP I will be gaining and how much MPG I will be picking up, I do know that the various sources claim between 5-10 HP and somewhere around 2-5 MPG. We will see.

AND -- this is the ONLY system on the Sleeper that is actually in decent mechanical condition. So, if anyone wants to buy a Steering Box that does not leak and not a lot of play, a nice pump, pulley set up, and hoses, check out my FS listing for this. My price is negotiable since I want to get rid of as much clutter in my garage to generate $$$ for very serious maintenance, e.g., brakes & exhaust right now.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM #44

Finally !

Here is my first mod to the Sleeper ! It is going on tomorrow evening.

I am getting rid of the parasitic power robbing Power Steering System altogether and installing my mechanical steering box. Here are a few pictures. Although I do not know how much HP I will be gaining and how much MPG I will be picking up, I do know that the various sources claim between 5-10 HP and somewhere around 2-5 MPG. We will see.

AND -- this is the ONLY system on the Sleeper that is actually in decent mechanical condition. So, if anyone wants to buy a Steering Box that does not leak and not a lot of play, a nice pump, pulley set up, and hoses, check out my FS listing for this. My price is negotiable since I want to get rid of as much clutter in my garage to generate $$$ for very serious maintenance, e.g., brakes & exhaust right now.

Attached Files
Image(s)

larsalan
Superturbo

11-07-2012, 09:16 PM #45
I like that. Are those easy to come by? Like what model/year car can they be found?
pn # 1234610601 right?

larsalan
11-07-2012, 09:16 PM #45

I like that. Are those easy to come by? Like what model/year car can they be found?
pn # 1234610601 right?

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-08-2012, 07:01 AM #46
Yes, that is the Part #

Nope -- very rare, which is odd since who wanted non-power steering ? LOL. Just as rare as the five speed Getrag 717.400.

They are for sale in Germany for a ridiculous price of around $600 USD and the shipping will be around $150, taxes, et cet. So, it's very pricey unless you can find one. I would never pay $750.00 for it. Excluding my current 5 speed in the Sleeper, the WHOLE Car is not worth $750.00. LOL

Greazzer
11-08-2012, 07:01 AM #46

Yes, that is the Part #

Nope -- very rare, which is odd since who wanted non-power steering ? LOL. Just as rare as the five speed Getrag 717.400.

They are for sale in Germany for a ridiculous price of around $600 USD and the shipping will be around $150, taxes, et cet. So, it's very pricey unless you can find one. I would never pay $750.00 for it. Excluding my current 5 speed in the Sleeper, the WHOLE Car is not worth $750.00. LOL

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-08-2012, 08:39 AM #47
Besides the ratios, is there anything wrong with running the PS box and a small reservoir of fluid, eliminating the pumps and lines?

Simpler=Better
11-08-2012, 08:39 AM #47

Besides the ratios, is there anything wrong with running the PS box and a small reservoir of fluid, eliminating the pumps and lines?

Greazzer
Superturbo

11-08-2012, 09:30 AM #48
IDK. I know when I removed the belt as an experiment, it took a lot to turn the wheel.

Then, I poped this in when I first got it as an experiment and it was a totally different experience. Once you are moving, it is about the same as power steering which totally blew my mind. If at a total stand still, then it took a little mojo, but not a killer amount. I cannot wait to report back on this tonight. Right after work I am investing an hour to try this baby out.

BTW -- any snappies of the manifold ?

Thanks,

Mark

Greazzer
11-08-2012, 09:30 AM #48

IDK. I know when I removed the belt as an experiment, it took a lot to turn the wheel.

Then, I poped this in when I first got it as an experiment and it was a totally different experience. Once you are moving, it is about the same as power steering which totally blew my mind. If at a total stand still, then it took a little mojo, but not a killer amount. I cannot wait to report back on this tonight. Right after work I am investing an hour to try this baby out.

BTW -- any snappies of the manifold ?

Thanks,

Mark

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

11-08-2012, 09:49 AM #49
I've been bugging him on the daily since I offered it, hopefully he will get his act together soon :p

Simpler=Better
11-08-2012, 09:49 AM #49

I've been bugging him on the daily since I offered it, hopefully he will get his act together soon :p

JB3
Superturbo

11-08-2012, 10:07 AM #50
(11-08-2012, 08:39 AM)Simpler=Better Besides the ratios, is there anything wrong with running the PS box and a small reservoir of fluid, eliminating the pumps and lines?

I did this in my 86 jetta, making the power rack into a manual and deep sixing the power arrangement.

The power ratios are manageable, but I think its ok because of the cars microscopic size and weight, and even then its quite hard to move at low speeds and certainly to park. No women have been able to drive it and a number of girlish men also.

If you were to do the same with something the size and weight of a 123, I bet you would have major trouble, going with a full manual ratio steering box is definitely the way I would go.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
11-08-2012, 10:07 AM #50

(11-08-2012, 08:39 AM)Simpler=Better Besides the ratios, is there anything wrong with running the PS box and a small reservoir of fluid, eliminating the pumps and lines?

I did this in my 86 jetta, making the power rack into a manual and deep sixing the power arrangement.

The power ratios are manageable, but I think its ok because of the cars microscopic size and weight, and even then its quite hard to move at low speeds and certainly to park. No women have been able to drive it and a number of girlish men also.

If you were to do the same with something the size and weight of a 123, I bet you would have major trouble, going with a full manual ratio steering box is definitely the way I would go.

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average