STD Tuning Engine w123 300 turbo diesel intercooler?

w123 300 turbo diesel intercooler?

w123 300 turbo diesel intercooler?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

300td
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2012, 10:13 PM #1
hey i have an 85 mercedes 300td and i am looking for an intercooler, the motor is completely stock, i just think that with an intercooler it would be much faster during the summer. do any of you guys know where i could find one? or if any of you have an intercooler set up i would like to know if it helped and how you got all the intercooler piping to where it needs to be cause there is not all that room on where to put the piping

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad
300td
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM #1

hey i have an 85 mercedes 300td and i am looking for an intercooler, the motor is completely stock, i just think that with an intercooler it would be much faster during the summer. do any of you guys know where i could find one? or if any of you have an intercooler set up i would like to know if it helped and how you got all the intercooler piping to where it needs to be cause there is not all that room on where to put the piping

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

11-29-2012, 10:21 PM #2
I would look into using an air/water IC in there, they are smaller and easier to deal with since you don't need to run all the piping everywhere. Then if you're not using the air conditioner, you can use the condenser as the radiator for the water, otherwise just add a small radiator somewhere up front.

I'm not sure if you will see much of a difference though unless you turn up the boost a bit, and maybe fuel too. I'm unfamiliar with the kkk k26 turbo which I believe is what your car has, so I'm not too sure how much boost it can handle, but I know the stock Garrett turbos are good up to about 12 or 13psi

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
11-29-2012, 10:21 PM #2

I would look into using an air/water IC in there, they are smaller and easier to deal with since you don't need to run all the piping everywhere. Then if you're not using the air conditioner, you can use the condenser as the radiator for the water, otherwise just add a small radiator somewhere up front.

I'm not sure if you will see much of a difference though unless you turn up the boost a bit, and maybe fuel too. I'm unfamiliar with the kkk k26 turbo which I believe is what your car has, so I'm not too sure how much boost it can handle, but I know the stock Garrett turbos are good up to about 12 or 13psi

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

300td
Naturally-aspirated

11-29-2012, 10:33 PM #3
(11-29-2012, 10:21 PM)sassparilla_kid I would look into using an air/water IC in there, they are smaller and easier to deal with since you don't need to run all the piping everywhere. Then if you're not using the air conditioner, you can use the condenser as the radiator for the water, otherwise just add a small radiator somewhere up front.

ive never heard of an air water intercooler? how does it work? what keeps the water circulating? wouldnt the water go into the engine? although i have heard of people putting them on these cars

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad
300td
11-29-2012, 10:33 PM #3

(11-29-2012, 10:21 PM)sassparilla_kid I would look into using an air/water IC in there, they are smaller and easier to deal with since you don't need to run all the piping everywhere. Then if you're not using the air conditioner, you can use the condenser as the radiator for the water, otherwise just add a small radiator somewhere up front.

ive never heard of an air water intercooler? how does it work? what keeps the water circulating? wouldnt the water go into the engine? although i have heard of people putting them on these cars

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad

aaa
GT2256V

11-30-2012, 12:21 AM #4
There's an electric water pump and two heat exchangers for circulating water between them. Of course if the heat exchanger on the intake happens to leak then water will get into the engine.
aaa
11-30-2012, 12:21 AM #4

There's an electric water pump and two heat exchangers for circulating water between them. Of course if the heat exchanger on the intake happens to leak then water will get into the engine.

w123love
Stockish

11-30-2012, 04:39 PM #5
(11-29-2012, 10:13 PM)300td hey i have an 85 mercedes 300td and i am looking for an intercooler, the motor is completely stock, i just think that with an intercooler it would be much faster during the summer. do any of you guys know where i could find one? or if any of you have an intercooler set up i would like to know if it helped and how you got all the intercooler piping to where it needs to be cause there is not all that room on where to put the piping

“Much faster” is pretty relative in this situation. If you are looking for horsepower gain, adding an intercooler is not going to do much. It assists in keeping exhaust EGT’s down while heavily boosted, but won’t give you much of an oomph in the seat of your pants. You can turn up your boost with a manual boost controller if you want higher boost in the summer. Though if you have your mind set on adding an IC, then you should put in an EGT sensor so you are able to see the difference between stock and intercooled.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
11-30-2012, 04:39 PM #5

(11-29-2012, 10:13 PM)300td hey i have an 85 mercedes 300td and i am looking for an intercooler, the motor is completely stock, i just think that with an intercooler it would be much faster during the summer. do any of you guys know where i could find one? or if any of you have an intercooler set up i would like to know if it helped and how you got all the intercooler piping to where it needs to be cause there is not all that room on where to put the piping

“Much faster” is pretty relative in this situation. If you are looking for horsepower gain, adding an intercooler is not going to do much. It assists in keeping exhaust EGT’s down while heavily boosted, but won’t give you much of an oomph in the seat of your pants. You can turn up your boost with a manual boost controller if you want higher boost in the summer. Though if you have your mind set on adding an IC, then you should put in an EGT sensor so you are able to see the difference between stock and intercooled.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

300td
Naturally-aspirated

11-30-2012, 10:44 PM #6
(11-30-2012, 04:39 PM)w123love

ok, im probobly just gonna keep it stock then, just make sure theres no boost leaks, i dont really care about the horsepower anyways

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad
300td
11-30-2012, 10:44 PM #6

(11-30-2012, 04:39 PM)w123love

ok, im probobly just gonna keep it stock then, just make sure theres no boost leaks, i dont really care about the horsepower anyways

love my w123 Heart
really want a w114 Sad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average