STD Maintenance General steering locked up...

steering locked up...

steering locked up...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

12-14-2012, 02:32 PM #1
So, something I've never had happen or even heard of happening occured this morning.

I stopped off at a coin car wash to clean the fenderwells and firewall off as I noticed they were pretty filthy when I took those photos of the oil plumbing last night... anyway, I've done this before w/o issue but this morning as I pulled out of the stall, the steering wheel locked up, like when the column lock, except with less give...no movement whatsoever. And the column lock has been removed on this vehicle for years.

Anyway, it was locked up slightly to the left, couldn't make my turn so I stopped, got out and checked under the hood, didn't see anything weird got back in and was able to wiggle it a little to the right, locked up again...rinse, wash, repeat and then all of a sudden it was fine... pulled into another lot across the street, checked it again, still okay...drove down the road to carquest, pulled in shutdown and checked ps fluid... needed a little but still fine..

Weird thing, it was not like loosing power steering, definitely locked up but not permanently... has been acting fine since... I can only picture that maybe I knocked a fastener into the u-joint or something, didn't see it when I checked the linkage and then it fell out and is now fine...

I dunno, any of you guys have some ideas or heard of something like this?

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
12-14-2012, 02:32 PM #1

So, something I've never had happen or even heard of happening occured this morning.

I stopped off at a coin car wash to clean the fenderwells and firewall off as I noticed they were pretty filthy when I took those photos of the oil plumbing last night... anyway, I've done this before w/o issue but this morning as I pulled out of the stall, the steering wheel locked up, like when the column lock, except with less give...no movement whatsoever. And the column lock has been removed on this vehicle for years.

Anyway, it was locked up slightly to the left, couldn't make my turn so I stopped, got out and checked under the hood, didn't see anything weird got back in and was able to wiggle it a little to the right, locked up again...rinse, wash, repeat and then all of a sudden it was fine... pulled into another lot across the street, checked it again, still okay...drove down the road to carquest, pulled in shutdown and checked ps fluid... needed a little but still fine..

Weird thing, it was not like loosing power steering, definitely locked up but not permanently... has been acting fine since... I can only picture that maybe I knocked a fastener into the u-joint or something, didn't see it when I checked the linkage and then it fell out and is now fine...

I dunno, any of you guys have some ideas or heard of something like this?

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

Greazzer
Superturbo

12-14-2012, 04:05 PM #2
If you blasted it with water, you either removed whatever that was binding it OR there was some weirdo snag which caused the lock up and the water cooled whatever which caused the snag to go away. If it was mechanical in nature, it is gone. If it was thermal in nature, the temp did. However, I have zero idea about the thermal concept.
This post was last modified: 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM by Greazzer.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM #2

If you blasted it with water, you either removed whatever that was binding it OR there was some weirdo snag which caused the lock up and the water cooled whatever which caused the snag to go away. If it was mechanical in nature, it is gone. If it was thermal in nature, the temp did. However, I have zero idea about the thermal concept.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

12-14-2012, 04:17 PM #3
I think it was the belt being wet, sometimes when it rains mine does that, and it doesn't always squeal

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM #3

I think it was the belt being wet, sometimes when it rains mine does that, and it doesn't always squeal

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

12-15-2012, 03:42 AM #4
see if it was just a loss of power it wouldnt have tripped me out...but the locked up deal took me by surprise... anyway, seems to be fine now so im not gonna worry about it... thanks for the replies!

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
12-15-2012, 03:42 AM #4

see if it was just a loss of power it wouldnt have tripped me out...but the locked up deal took me by surprise... anyway, seems to be fine now so im not gonna worry about it... thanks for the replies!

OBK# 62

Druk
Holset

12-15-2012, 02:58 PM #5
Are you certain that when the lock was removed the actual lock pin was taken out? It's spring loaded to the 'off' position but it's as well you check it. Imagine that happening when you're doing 100mph. Angel
Druk
12-15-2012, 02:58 PM #5

Are you certain that when the lock was removed the actual lock pin was taken out? It's spring loaded to the 'off' position but it's as well you check it. Imagine that happening when you're doing 100mph. Angel

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-15-2012, 09:18 PM #6
(12-15-2012, 02:58 PM)Druk Are you certain that when the lock was removed the actual lock pin was taken out? It's spring loaded to the 'off' position but it's as well you check it. Imagine that happening when you're doing 100mph. Angel

Check that first^^

Was it impossible or disabled? Locked would be something dislodging inside the steering box and jamming the mechanism.

Hard(aka no PS) could be an internally collapsed PS line.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-15-2012, 09:18 PM #6

(12-15-2012, 02:58 PM)Druk Are you certain that when the lock was removed the actual lock pin was taken out? It's spring loaded to the 'off' position but it's as well you check it. Imagine that happening when you're doing 100mph. Angel

Check that first^^

Was it impossible or disabled? Locked would be something dislodging inside the steering box and jamming the mechanism.

Hard(aka no PS) could be an internally collapsed PS line.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

12-15-2012, 09:57 PM #7
pin definitely removed...did that myself after having to replace the lock cylinder a few months after buying the car...that was about 5 or 6 years ago...plus it was way sturdier of a lock than that pin ever felt like

it was totally locked, not like it would be w/ no power steering...

I can only figure that I knocked something into the little u-joint deal on the linkage and then after a little jiggling it fell out again... i dunno tho, i looked pretty thoroughly when I first popped the hood when it happened...maybe ill go check the parking lot tomorrow and see if there is anything i recognize out there...

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
12-15-2012, 09:57 PM #7

pin definitely removed...did that myself after having to replace the lock cylinder a few months after buying the car...that was about 5 or 6 years ago...plus it was way sturdier of a lock than that pin ever felt like

it was totally locked, not like it would be w/ no power steering...

I can only figure that I knocked something into the little u-joint deal on the linkage and then after a little jiggling it fell out again... i dunno tho, i looked pretty thoroughly when I first popped the hood when it happened...maybe ill go check the parking lot tomorrow and see if there is anything i recognize out there...

OBK# 62

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-15-2012, 10:11 PM #8
Try to recreate it-jam something in the u joint.

I'm afraid something is loose inside the steering box. I can't think of any other reason to cause a hard lockup

Simpler=Better
12-15-2012, 10:11 PM #8

Try to recreate it-jam something in the u joint.

I'm afraid something is loose inside the steering box. I can't think of any other reason to cause a hard lockup

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average