STD Tuning Engine OM617 Rocker Arm Towers Install Question

OM617 Rocker Arm Towers Install Question

OM617 Rocker Arm Towers Install Question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-02-2013, 03:00 AM #1
anyone have a trick for getting the rocker arms towers back in? I can't seem to get the bearing collars to go in their holes on the head AND the slots in the shaft on the center for the bolts to slide thru to line up in the bolt holes. Maddening. I MUST be doing something wrong.

FSM says just put them back in...

I almost seems the shaft in the middle with the cutouts for the bolts that hold the rocker towers in place is too long...but it cant be..it's the one that came off the car!! Anyone have any ideas?

I guess its a good thing I couldn't figure it out....I just figured out I'm supposed to put the sprocket back on...and I guess change the timing chain first.

[Image: rockerarmissue002.jpg]

[Image: rockerarmissue006.jpg]
This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 03:05 AM by SpecialDelivery.

-1982 300SD, found out she has an '85 Engine, unknown mileage, redoing the top end and chain, head has been ported and polished, non EGR manifolds / non ARV turbo
-1982 300D, too many issues to list.
-Alt Fuel Buff
-Founder www.SWFLBenzCLub.com
SpecialDelivery
01-02-2013, 03:00 AM #1

anyone have a trick for getting the rocker arms towers back in? I can't seem to get the bearing collars to go in their holes on the head AND the slots in the shaft on the center for the bolts to slide thru to line up in the bolt holes. Maddening. I MUST be doing something wrong.

I almost seems the shaft in the middle with the cutouts for the bolts that hold the rocker towers in place is too long...but it cant be..it's the one that came off the car!! Anyone have any ideas?

I guess its a good thing I couldn't figure it out....I just figured out I'm supposed to put the sprocket back on...and I guess change the timing chain first.

-1982 300SD, found out she has an '85 Engine, unknown mileage, redoing the top end and chain, head has been ported and polished, non EGR manifolds / non ARV turbo
-1982 300D, too many issues to list.
-Alt Fuel Buff
-Founder www.SWFLBenzCLub.com

Austincarnut
Holset

01-02-2013, 07:22 AM #2
Install the rockers first, then progressively snug down the cam towers...The bolt in the pic won't clear the cam, the front 3 rockers fit tighter and will need the cam either loose or out of the way completely, the chain can be installed after

(01-02-2013, 03:00 AM)SpecialDelivery anyone have a trick for getting the rocker arms towers back in? I can't seem to get the bearing collars to go in their holes on the head AND the slots in the shaft on the center for the bolts to slide thru to line up in the bolt holes. Maddening. I MUST be doing something wrong.

This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM by Austincarnut.
Austincarnut
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM #2

Install the rockers first, then progressively snug down the cam towers...The bolt in the pic won't clear the cam, the front 3 rockers fit tighter and will need the cam either loose or out of the way completely, the chain can be installed after

(01-02-2013, 03:00 AM)SpecialDelivery anyone have a trick for getting the rocker arms towers back in? I can't seem to get the bearing collars to go in their holes on the head AND the slots in the shaft on the center for the bolts to slide thru to line up in the bolt holes. Maddening. I MUST be doing something wrong.

Alastair E
Moderator?--Nah...

01-02-2013, 07:36 AM #3
(01-02-2013, 07:22 AM)Austincarnut Install the rockers first, then progressively snug down the cam towers...The bolt in the pic won't clear the cam, the front 3 rockers fit tighter and will need the cam either loose or out of the way completely, the chain can be installed after

Line the shaft up with the tower and have the bolt in the hole before offering up the assembly.

Alternatively slacken the cam-towers to allow sufficient room to mount.
--Still probs?--Check that the shaft is the correct way round.....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]
Alastair E
01-02-2013, 07:36 AM #3

(01-02-2013, 07:22 AM)Austincarnut Install the rockers first, then progressively snug down the cam towers...The bolt in the pic won't clear the cam, the front 3 rockers fit tighter and will need the cam either loose or out of the way completely, the chain can be installed after

Line the shaft up with the tower and have the bolt in the hole before offering up the assembly.

Alternatively slacken the cam-towers to allow sufficient room to mount.
--Still probs?--Check that the shaft is the correct way round.....

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

01-02-2013, 03:00 PM #4
uhhh I appreciate the responses but I dont think you guys are following me here. The camshaft is not in the way of the rocker towers...nor was the cam out when I removed them.

on the bottom of the cam towers there are little recesses into which fit little collars that are sticking out of the head.

The shaft on which the rockers sit, has slots cut in it to allow the bolt which secures the cam tower to the head to slide in to the hole and down to the threaded hole in the head

the problem seems to be that to get the holes in the towers on the collars in the head...the shaft does not line up....one of the two holes will have the slot pulled into the tower and therefor the bolt cant pass thru.
SpecialDelivery
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM #4

uhhh I appreciate the responses but I dont think you guys are following me here. The camshaft is not in the way of the rocker towers...nor was the cam out when I removed them.

on the bottom of the cam towers there are little recesses into which fit little collars that are sticking out of the head.

The shaft on which the rockers sit, has slots cut in it to allow the bolt which secures the cam tower to the head to slide in to the hole and down to the threaded hole in the head

the problem seems to be that to get the holes in the towers on the collars in the head...the shaft does not line up....one of the two holes will have the slot pulled into the tower and therefor the bolt cant pass thru.

01-02-2013, 04:01 PM #5
thats a negative Ghostrider...

[Image: manifoldheadjob078.jpg]

(01-02-2013, 03:36 PM)BenzDieselTuner i wish i could come by and lend a hand......we took it apart easily enough, nothing special......but as u know my 240 is off the road pending another load of new parts.....she's almost 100% restored now.....

just off the top of my head, looking at the pic, i would say that you should install the rear rocker group before setting the cam down and securing it.....seems to me that would be the simplest and quickest way to go about this.....or did i miss something ? i'm pretty sure that we took the cam off before removing the rocker groups during disassembly....
SpecialDelivery
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM #5

thats a negative Ghostrider...

[Image: manifoldheadjob078.jpg]

(01-02-2013, 03:36 PM)BenzDieselTuner i wish i could come by and lend a hand......we took it apart easily enough, nothing special......but as u know my 240 is off the road pending another load of new parts.....she's almost 100% restored now.....

just off the top of my head, looking at the pic, i would say that you should install the rear rocker group before setting the cam down and securing it.....seems to me that would be the simplest and quickest way to go about this.....or did i miss something ? i'm pretty sure that we took the cam off before removing the rocker groups during disassembly....

OM616
10mm MW

01-02-2013, 04:41 PM #6
(01-02-2013, 03:00 PM)SpecialDelivery uhhh I appreciate the responses but I dont think you guys are following me here. The camshaft is not in the way of the rocker towers...nor was the cam out when I removed them.

I gotcha.....Hmmm....I swapped my 616 cam and rockers for uprated ones and didn't seem to have an issue that I recall. The "new" towers were marked front and rear so they stayed with the lobes they were worn to, but I doubt that there are specific front and rear assemblies.

Will the shaft slide at all? How close is the cut out in the shaft to being lined up? Have you tried to rotate the shaft to see if there are multiple cutouts?
This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM by OM616.
OM616
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM #6

(01-02-2013, 03:00 PM)SpecialDelivery uhhh I appreciate the responses but I dont think you guys are following me here. The camshaft is not in the way of the rocker towers...nor was the cam out when I removed them.

I gotcha.....Hmmm....I swapped my 616 cam and rockers for uprated ones and didn't seem to have an issue that I recall. The "new" towers were marked front and rear so they stayed with the lobes they were worn to, but I doubt that there are specific front and rear assemblies.

Will the shaft slide at all? How close is the cut out in the shaft to being lined up? Have you tried to rotate the shaft to see if there are multiple cutouts?

01-02-2013, 05:00 PM #7
how close? it's about four or five mm off...no i didnt rotate the shaft around ...doesnt seem the thing to do...I'm confused as to why they came off so easy and are a bastard to put back in.

I did figure out that in order to put them both in I'm going to have to rotate the cam once one set is in to move the lobes for me to get the other one in.

(01-02-2013, 04:41 PM)OM616

SpecialDelivery
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM #7

how close? it's about four or five mm off...no i didnt rotate the shaft around ...doesnt seem the thing to do...I'm confused as to why they came off so easy and are a bastard to put back in.

I did figure out that in order to put them both in I'm going to have to rotate the cam once one set is in to move the lobes for me to get the other one in.

(01-02-2013, 04:41 PM)OM616

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

01-02-2013, 05:13 PM #8
(01-02-2013, 05:00 PM)SpecialDelivery how close? it's about four or five mm off...no i didnt rotate the shaft around ...doesnt seem the thing to do...I'm confused as to why they came off so easy and are a bastard to put back in.

I recently did this and it can be tricky. You are correct that you will have to rotate the crank to get the lobes in a position that the rockers will go in. I rotated the cam so 2 of the cylinders were mostly in and then rotated to get the last on in. You can use a pry bar or plastic hammer to GENTLY coax them to move. Just be careful not to touch the cam lobes and it doesn't take a lot of force. I also adjusted my valves so the springs were compressed as much as possible.
Torkey
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM #8

(01-02-2013, 05:00 PM)SpecialDelivery how close? it's about four or five mm off...no i didnt rotate the shaft around ...doesnt seem the thing to do...I'm confused as to why they came off so easy and are a bastard to put back in.

I recently did this and it can be tricky. You are correct that you will have to rotate the crank to get the lobes in a position that the rockers will go in. I rotated the cam so 2 of the cylinders were mostly in and then rotated to get the last on in. You can use a pry bar or plastic hammer to GENTLY coax them to move. Just be careful not to touch the cam lobes and it doesn't take a lot of force. I also adjusted my valves so the springs were compressed as much as possible.

Austincarnut
Holset

01-02-2013, 11:33 PM #9
Can you find tapered/centering drift to line up the shaft that fits that hole?, you might want to assemble that one first then come back and install the other bolt, leave them all loose till they're all installed

This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM by Austincarnut.
Austincarnut
01-02-2013, 11:33 PM #9

Can you find tapered/centering drift to line up the shaft that fits that hole?, you might want to assemble that one first then come back and install the other bolt, leave them all loose till they're all installed

BenzDieselTuner
Unregistered

01-03-2013, 12:25 AM #10
suprised mike didnt post about this already, but apparently whoever took apart this head before (this proves it) put the rocker arm groups in backwards......the rocker group with only 2 cylinders, the part thats the same as on a 616, it belongs on the front of the motor.....the rocker group for 3 cylinders belongs on the rear of the motor....which makes sense, as the rearmost cylinder is the "extra one" that the 616 doesnt have, thus the rear rocker group having 3 instead of 2......this cleared up his clearance issue right away.....this also shows why the surface edges on 2 of the rocker lobes have slight wear damage, because they apparently do not get the proper clearance/seating when the rocker arm groups are where they dont belong....

im sure mike is at home in his garage playing with his car right now......and i hear that tomorrow he's off to check out a 300 D that someones selling down by Naples.....he's probably gonna get it caus its cheap and the AC works.....here's hoping ! Wink
BenzDieselTuner
01-03-2013, 12:25 AM #10

suprised mike didnt post about this already, but apparently whoever took apart this head before (this proves it) put the rocker arm groups in backwards......the rocker group with only 2 cylinders, the part thats the same as on a 616, it belongs on the front of the motor.....the rocker group for 3 cylinders belongs on the rear of the motor....which makes sense, as the rearmost cylinder is the "extra one" that the 616 doesnt have, thus the rear rocker group having 3 instead of 2......this cleared up his clearance issue right away.....this also shows why the surface edges on 2 of the rocker lobes have slight wear damage, because they apparently do not get the proper clearance/seating when the rocker arm groups are where they dont belong....

im sure mike is at home in his garage playing with his car right now......and i hear that tomorrow he's off to check out a 300 D that someones selling down by Naples.....he's probably gonna get it caus its cheap and the AC works.....here's hoping ! Wink

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average