STD Tuning Engine Strange start-up symptoms

Strange start-up symptoms

Strange start-up symptoms

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

87Bielenberg
K26-2

01-07-2013, 10:40 PM #1
In the last few days Ive noticed that my car is hesitating to start up in the morning. It always does start, usually first try, but before it was so smooth.
Now it cranks like 4 or 5 times and then starts and is rough for a while. When it cranks, it sounds kind of slow turning over, or like it doesnt quite have enough juice. If I hit the accel it roars to life (this made me think the was some fuel issue and yesterday ran some diesel purge through and changer the filter). It seems like it runs smoother now but still the weak start up. The battery is brand new. Glow plugs installed about six months ago (Monark).

A couple weeks ago I replaced the DV seals on the IP and I had to do a lot of cranking to get the fuel primed back up. I never cranked for more than 30 seconds and let it cool down after that, but I had to do this numerous times and drained the battery three times. So I hope the starter didn't wear out from all that abuse. But after I did get it to start, it was fine and I never had any problems with start up until a few days ago, seemingly right after I did an oil change. And it hasn't even been that cold the last few days.

Any ideas? Bad starter, battery getting drained somehow? Premature glow plug failure, Bad quality diesel, water in the tank? Fuel system not staying primed?

It would be easy to say that its the starter, but why does it fire up when I step on the gas(diesel). If I dont, it wont start at all sometimes.

'87 300TDT Silver 150K
87Bielenberg
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM #1

In the last few days Ive noticed that my car is hesitating to start up in the morning. It always does start, usually first try, but before it was so smooth.
Now it cranks like 4 or 5 times and then starts and is rough for a while. When it cranks, it sounds kind of slow turning over, or like it doesnt quite have enough juice. If I hit the accel it roars to life (this made me think the was some fuel issue and yesterday ran some diesel purge through and changer the filter). It seems like it runs smoother now but still the weak start up. The battery is brand new. Glow plugs installed about six months ago (Monark).

A couple weeks ago I replaced the DV seals on the IP and I had to do a lot of cranking to get the fuel primed back up. I never cranked for more than 30 seconds and let it cool down after that, but I had to do this numerous times and drained the battery three times. So I hope the starter didn't wear out from all that abuse. But after I did get it to start, it was fine and I never had any problems with start up until a few days ago, seemingly right after I did an oil change. And it hasn't even been that cold the last few days.

Any ideas? Bad starter, battery getting drained somehow? Premature glow plug failure, Bad quality diesel, water in the tank? Fuel system not staying primed?

It would be easy to say that its the starter, but why does it fire up when I step on the gas(diesel). If I dont, it wont start at all sometimes.

'87 300TDT Silver 150K

larsalan
Superturbo

01-08-2013, 02:30 AM #2
when its cold out there batteries will have less power, crankcase oil will be nice and thick.
Is there a block heater? Battery tender?
To me it sounds like a plug has failed, expect others to start failing as well.
And as you say the battery somehow getting low.

Do you have tools to check the battery charge or glowplug continuity?
At the least you can use a length of wire to check each plug for total failure.
Just check for a spark between the positive battery terminal and the glowplug end. Dig it? Test each one individually while it is not wired in a loop with the others.

Then separately not to dismiss the fuel idea. Has it been below freezing? Water could get frozen in the fuel. Also, there is a screen type filter inside the tank that could get gummed up. And a tank vent that could cause some kind of pressure/vacuum seal.
How much fuel is in there? Is it always just good old store bought diesel?

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM #2

when its cold out there batteries will have less power, crankcase oil will be nice and thick.
Is there a block heater? Battery tender?
To me it sounds like a plug has failed, expect others to start failing as well.
And as you say the battery somehow getting low.

Do you have tools to check the battery charge or glowplug continuity?
At the least you can use a length of wire to check each plug for total failure.
Just check for a spark between the positive battery terminal and the glowplug end. Dig it? Test each one individually while it is not wired in a loop with the others.

Then separately not to dismiss the fuel idea. Has it been below freezing? Water could get frozen in the fuel. Also, there is a screen type filter inside the tank that could get gummed up. And a tank vent that could cause some kind of pressure/vacuum seal.
How much fuel is in there? Is it always just good old store bought diesel?

87Bielenberg
K26-2

01-08-2013, 05:48 AM #3
There is a block heater but I haven't been plugging it in. It seems like it doesnt want to start even after I've been driving it and the engine is still nice and hot. Also it hasn't been below freezing during the day.

Fuel is new, clean looking, you can see it coming through the in line filter so its good coming out the tank, engine runs good while driving and idling, fuel was cycling good when I did the diesel purge yesterday.

Glow plugs sound like a good suspect. I have heard the Monarks are more prone to premature burn-out and failure than the Bosch GPs. Can you test them with a multimeter without taking them out?

'87 300TDT Silver 150K
87Bielenberg
01-08-2013, 05:48 AM #3

There is a block heater but I haven't been plugging it in. It seems like it doesnt want to start even after I've been driving it and the engine is still nice and hot. Also it hasn't been below freezing during the day.

Fuel is new, clean looking, you can see it coming through the in line filter so its good coming out the tank, engine runs good while driving and idling, fuel was cycling good when I did the diesel purge yesterday.

Glow plugs sound like a good suspect. I have heard the Monarks are more prone to premature burn-out and failure than the Bosch GPs. Can you test them with a multimeter without taking them out?

'87 300TDT Silver 150K

larsalan
Superturbo

01-08-2013, 05:49 PM #4
Yes sir you can. You need to disconnect the wire to them. And where that wire connects is like the positive terminal and the threads then ground (-) to the block.

So you can try and test to see if the right amount of amps is running through that way. I have always just used a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal and look for a spark.
Then you know it is dead all the way or not.
Is there a glow plug light on the dash board? Is it working at all?

Might as well put that multimeter on the battery and see what kind of information you can get from that.

larsalan
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM #4

Yes sir you can. You need to disconnect the wire to them. And where that wire connects is like the positive terminal and the threads then ground (-) to the block.

So you can try and test to see if the right amount of amps is running through that way. I have always just used a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal and look for a spark.
Then you know it is dead all the way or not.
Is there a glow plug light on the dash board? Is it working at all?

Might as well put that multimeter on the battery and see what kind of information you can get from that.

87Bielenberg
K26-2

01-13-2013, 11:11 PM #5
Today I started the car after having let it sit for two days. The initial start up symptoms were worse than ever. It started, smoked a lot, died, started up good a second time. It seems to want to drop below 500 rpm and die and I have to rev it up to keep it alive for a minute at least. When the engine is still hot it starts fine.

Tested the GPs. Resistance is normal for all six. Could this be false? Maybe I should pull them and see how hot they get.

One other thing: when its cold and is starts up rough like this the wiper turns on for no reason at all. WTF????

I really do hope its just a couple bad glow plugs.

'87 300TDT Silver 150K
87Bielenberg
01-13-2013, 11:11 PM #5

Today I started the car after having let it sit for two days. The initial start up symptoms were worse than ever. It started, smoked a lot, died, started up good a second time. It seems to want to drop below 500 rpm and die and I have to rev it up to keep it alive for a minute at least. When the engine is still hot it starts fine.

Tested the GPs. Resistance is normal for all six. Could this be false? Maybe I should pull them and see how hot they get.

One other thing: when its cold and is starts up rough like this the wiper turns on for no reason at all. WTF????

I really do hope its just a couple bad glow plugs.

'87 300TDT Silver 150K

aaa
GT2256V

01-14-2013, 01:17 AM #6
Hopefully you're already using thinner oil. Though that would not explain the roughness, only the slow initial crank.
aaa
01-14-2013, 01:17 AM #6

Hopefully you're already using thinner oil. Though that would not explain the roughness, only the slow initial crank.

87Bielenberg
K26-2

01-14-2013, 02:01 AM #7
(01-14-2013, 01:17 AM)aaa Hopefully you're already using thinner oil. Though that would not explain the roughness, only the slow initial crank.

5W-40

'87 300TDT Silver 150K
87Bielenberg
01-14-2013, 02:01 AM #7

(01-14-2013, 01:17 AM)aaa Hopefully you're already using thinner oil. Though that would not explain the roughness, only the slow initial crank.

5W-40

'87 300TDT Silver 150K

87Bielenberg
K26-2

01-20-2013, 01:07 PM #8
It seems to actually have gotten worse.

Billowing out thick plume of black smoke on initial start up. Tries to sputter out and die but I rev it and the smoke clears out and it then idles normally.

Drives fine, no symptoms there.

What would cause a diesel that was normal before to act this way?

'87 300TDT Silver 150K
87Bielenberg
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM #8

It seems to actually have gotten worse.

Billowing out thick plume of black smoke on initial start up. Tries to sputter out and die but I rev it and the smoke clears out and it then idles normally.

Drives fine, no symptoms there.

What would cause a diesel that was normal before to act this way?

'87 300TDT Silver 150K

larsalan
Superturbo

01-20-2013, 06:18 PM #9
How long have you had that car? Ever run it in the winter before?
I think if you get it to fire up and run that's fine. If the smoking is going away after warmup that's fine as well.
By god my 617 won't start without a block heater once it stays much below freezing.

larsalan
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM #9

How long have you had that car? Ever run it in the winter before?
I think if you get it to fire up and run that's fine. If the smoking is going away after warmup that's fine as well.
By god my 617 won't start without a block heater once it stays much below freezing.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

01-20-2013, 11:30 PM #10
The smoke is probably just a little unburned fuel from cranking, my car does that too when its cold out

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
01-20-2013, 11:30 PM #10

The smoke is probably just a little unburned fuel from cranking, my car does that too when its cold out

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

01-21-2013, 10:38 PM #11
I wonder if air might be getting into the fuel lines or maybe a bad glow plug.
Torkey
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM #11

I wonder if air might be getting into the fuel lines or maybe a bad glow plug.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average