STD Tuning Engine Starting a diesel the old school way!! (video)

Starting a diesel the old school way!! (video)

Starting a diesel the old school way!! (video)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ConnClark
GT2256V

01-16-2013, 02:51 PM #1
Since its winter and some people may have a little trouble starting their cars I thought it might be good to show them how easy they have it. Starting a diesel the old school way!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKACzhlRL6U
ConnClark
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM #1

Since its winter and some people may have a little trouble starting their cars I thought it might be good to show them how easy they have it. Starting a diesel the old school way!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKACzhlRL6U

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

01-16-2013, 03:46 PM #2
I want a diesel engine from a U-boat

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM #2

I want a diesel engine from a U-boat

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

jellydonut
1987 W124 250D

01-17-2013, 02:57 PM #3
That sure is a bit more difficult than today's marine diesels. Depends how long it's been stood without being started, of course, but ordinarily today you would only blow through it for a few seconds with air, then close the indicator cocks and any eventual drains (for instance on the exhaust side of the turbocharger), then start it with air.

I am surprised by how easily my old 602 actually starts. I have yet to not have it fire up at first crank.

Recently I installed an engine coolant pre-heater, which has really helped its starting characteristics. Usually it would run unevenly and generally make a rattle of itself a few minutes after starting.. probably complaining to me that I'd dare to start it at -5! Now, however, that's all solved. I highly recommend this kind of heater. Unlike a block heater it won't boil or cause the oil to lacquer, and since the coolant circulates via a small pump, the entire engine is heated evenly.
jellydonut
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM #3

That sure is a bit more difficult than today's marine diesels. Depends how long it's been stood without being started, of course, but ordinarily today you would only blow through it for a few seconds with air, then close the indicator cocks and any eventual drains (for instance on the exhaust side of the turbocharger), then start it with air.

I am surprised by how easily my old 602 actually starts. I have yet to not have it fire up at first crank.

Recently I installed an engine coolant pre-heater, which has really helped its starting characteristics. Usually it would run unevenly and generally make a rattle of itself a few minutes after starting.. probably complaining to me that I'd dare to start it at -5! Now, however, that's all solved. I highly recommend this kind of heater. Unlike a block heater it won't boil or cause the oil to lacquer, and since the coolant circulates via a small pump, the entire engine is heated evenly.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average