STD Tuning Engine Wow!!

Wow!!

Wow!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jenyus
GT2256V

01-18-2013, 12:51 AM #1
I removed my ALDA and put a cheapo eBay manual boost controller on my om617 and it's amazing! The Alda did a little but not much but that car likes to go with 20lbs of boost! Am I goin to damage anything with 20lbs of boost? I don't have a pyrometer yet. I'm basically just driving the car around for the next couple weeks and doing all the tuning I can before putting it in the jeep.
This post was last modified: 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM by jenyus.
jenyus
01-18-2013, 12:51 AM #1

I removed my ALDA and put a cheapo eBay manual boost controller on my om617 and it's amazing! The Alda did a little but not much but that car likes to go with 20lbs of boost! Am I goin to damage anything with 20lbs of boost? I don't have a pyrometer yet. I'm basically just driving the car around for the next couple weeks and doing all the tuning I can before putting it in the jeep.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

01-18-2013, 01:46 AM #2
Stock turbo is only good for about 13-14psi boost, any more could cause damage. Also that's all you really need with a mostly stock pump, any more just makes extra heat and stuff

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
01-18-2013, 01:46 AM #2

Stock turbo is only good for about 13-14psi boost, any more could cause damage. Also that's all you really need with a mostly stock pump, any more just makes extra heat and stuff

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-18-2013, 02:17 AM #3
I've got a stock kkk turbo that I can get up to over 20lbs boost (waste gate disabled) and and egt guage. I only have flat roads a rounds Chicago but the temp never got outta range. My pump...I don't know what the prior owner put on it bu it is modified in some way

Like sas said though these turbos shouldn't go that high. My car will start pouring black smoke when I boost that high. Maybe the turbo becomes a blow drier or something . Maybe it puts oil past the seal.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
01-18-2013, 02:17 AM #3

I've got a stock kkk turbo that I can get up to over 20lbs boost (waste gate disabled) and and egt guage. I only have flat roads a rounds Chicago but the temp never got outta range. My pump...I don't know what the prior owner put on it bu it is modified in some way

Like sas said though these turbos shouldn't go that high. My car will start pouring black smoke when I boost that high. Maybe the turbo becomes a blow drier or something . Maybe it puts oil past the seal.

jenyus
GT2256V

01-18-2013, 02:20 AM #4
I was told the previous owner did something to the pump but I don't know what. I'm going to pull it out to remove the rack limiter and adjust the timing. What's the best timing for it for most power?
jenyus
01-18-2013, 02:20 AM #4

I was told the previous owner did something to the pump but I don't know what. I'm going to pull it out to remove the rack limiter and adjust the timing. What's the best timing for it for most power?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-18-2013, 02:26 AM #5
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3620.html

Rpm and turbo chat one video in the with my boost guage

Idk know that timing question. I think it depends on your pump.
This post was last modified: 01-18-2013, 02:35 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
01-18-2013, 02:26 AM #5

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3620.html

Idk know that timing question. I think it depends on your pump.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-18-2013, 08:47 AM #6
The best timing will be between 26 and 28*, but you will have to play with it. If the car knocks, retard the timing immediately.

At 20psi you're going to hurt the turbo, 14psi is all you will really ever need

I'd read the pump document before removing the rack limiter

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
01-18-2013, 08:47 AM #6

The best timing will be between 26 and 28*, but you will have to play with it. If the car knocks, retard the timing immediately.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jenyus
GT2256V

01-18-2013, 02:16 PM #7
(01-18-2013, 02:26 AM)lgreeley83 http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3620.html

I have no idea what you just said.

(01-18-2013, 08:47 AM)Simpler=Better The best timing will be between 26 and 28*, but you will have to play with it. If the car knocks, retard the timing immediately.

I dialed the turbo back down to about 15psi. Just as much power it seems. This tranny is definitely starting to take a crap though.

I searched but didn't find one, does someone know of a write up on adjusting the timing?

(01-18-2013, 02:17 AM)lgreeley83 I've got a stock kkk turbo that I can get up to over 20lbs boost (waste gate disabled) and and egt guage. I only have flat roads a rounds Chicago but the temp never got outta range. My pump...I don't know what the prior owner put on it bu it is modified in some way

I'm surprised that yours smokes black when you turn up the boost pressure, you'd think it would lean it out more.

Mine doesn't really smoke all that much, but I want it to. I know some people hate that but I like rollin coal. What can I do to make it smoke more?
This post was last modified: 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM by jenyus.
jenyus
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM #7

(01-18-2013, 02:26 AM)lgreeley83 http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-3620.html

I have no idea what you just said.

(01-18-2013, 08:47 AM)Simpler=Better The best timing will be between 26 and 28*, but you will have to play with it. If the car knocks, retard the timing immediately.

I dialed the turbo back down to about 15psi. Just as much power it seems. This tranny is definitely starting to take a crap though.

I searched but didn't find one, does someone know of a write up on adjusting the timing?

(01-18-2013, 02:17 AM)lgreeley83 I've got a stock kkk turbo that I can get up to over 20lbs boost (waste gate disabled) and and egt guage. I only have flat roads a rounds Chicago but the temp never got outta range. My pump...I don't know what the prior owner put on it bu it is modified in some way

I'm surprised that yours smokes black when you turn up the boost pressure, you'd think it would lean it out more.

Mine doesn't really smoke all that much, but I want it to. I know some people hate that but I like rollin coal. What can I do to make it smoke more?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-18-2013, 02:54 PM #8
Cut your boost to 0 and retard your timing, it will smoke a lot more

Search over on peachparts.com for the timing guide.

Read my check tricks link in my sig.

Simpler=Better
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM #8

Cut your boost to 0 and retard your timing, it will smoke a lot more

Search over on peachparts.com for the timing guide.

Read my check tricks link in my sig.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-18-2013, 05:15 PM #9
It smokes when I get the rpm up really high combined with boost over 20. I understand the chemical properties of combustion and more air leaning the ratio.

Maybe someone could explain why at high rpm it may.start to smoke
Just for fun at i throw my manual into 3rd or 4th gear at low rpm and floor it. Smoke screen galore.

If I sound retarded when I type its because I'm retarded. Also a little do to typing from my phone and silly auto correct that I don't notice.

lgreeley83
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM #9

It smokes when I get the rpm up really high combined with boost over 20. I understand the chemical properties of combustion and more air leaning the ratio.

Just for fun at i throw my manual into 3rd or 4th gear at low rpm and floor it. Smoke screen galore.

If I sound retarded when I type its because I'm retarded. Also a little do to typing from my phone and silly auto correct that I don't notice.

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

01-18-2013, 08:09 PM #10
(01-18-2013, 05:15 PM)lgreeley83 It smokes when I get the rpm up really high combined with boost over 20. I understand the chemical properties of combustion and more air leaning the ratio.

You are actually creating too much heat when overboosting. When you create more boost than the turbo is eficient at, you actually move less air due to thermal expansion of the air. There are turbo maps that show the efficiency of the turbos. They are difficult to understand, but once you do, you will understand.

Ed
yankneck696
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM #10

(01-18-2013, 05:15 PM)lgreeley83 It smokes when I get the rpm up really high combined with boost over 20. I understand the chemical properties of combustion and more air leaning the ratio.

You are actually creating too much heat when overboosting. When you create more boost than the turbo is eficient at, you actually move less air due to thermal expansion of the air. There are turbo maps that show the efficiency of the turbos. They are difficult to understand, but once you do, you will understand.

Ed

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-19-2013, 03:16 AM #11
[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]
That's what I figured. Little o2 guys are all heated up wanting extra room thus less dense. Pv=nrt

I wonder thought would IP timing be able to contribute the smoke at high rpm?

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]
That's what I figured. Little o2 guys are all heated up wanting extra room thus less dense. Pv=nrt

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

This post was last modified: 01-19-2013, 03:18 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
01-19-2013, 03:16 AM #11

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ed
[/quote]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average