STD Tuning Engine what should i do while my motor is out?

what should i do while my motor is out?

what should i do while my motor is out?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

jenyus
GT2256V

01-24-2013, 03:15 AM #1
so im yanking the motor out of my 80 300SD next week to get it ready to drop in the jeep. What should i do to the motor while its out? anything i should reaplace thats a PITA to get to when the motor is in? im a little worried about adjusting the timing on the IP and removing the rack limiter while its out since i don't want to make it not start. I dont want too many things i need to try and troubleshoot once its in, you know?

also, i want to do an intercooler, what is the optimal size for an OM617? It will be stock turbo for now but i will probably upgrade it later, so i want something that is going to work for me now and later as well. ive got a pretty good amount of room under the hood of the jeep so i can do a pretty big intercooler.
jenyus
01-24-2013, 03:15 AM #1

so im yanking the motor out of my 80 300SD next week to get it ready to drop in the jeep. What should i do to the motor while its out? anything i should reaplace thats a PITA to get to when the motor is in? im a little worried about adjusting the timing on the IP and removing the rack limiter while its out since i don't want to make it not start. I dont want too many things i need to try and troubleshoot once its in, you know?

also, i want to do an intercooler, what is the optimal size for an OM617? It will be stock turbo for now but i will probably upgrade it later, so i want something that is going to work for me now and later as well. ive got a pretty good amount of room under the hood of the jeep so i can do a pretty big intercooler.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-24-2013, 08:15 AM #2
Someone with more experience can chime in, but more surface area of the IC the more heat it can dissipate effeciently. So the bigger the better Big Grin

If I were you I would fix all the oil leaks that you can with it out, maybe adjust the vavles, check cam timing, time the IP (if you wanted). Everything is easier to work on when its not in a vehicle Wink

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-24-2013, 08:15 AM #2

Someone with more experience can chime in, but more surface area of the IC the more heat it can dissipate effeciently. So the bigger the better Big Grin

If I were you I would fix all the oil leaks that you can with it out, maybe adjust the vavles, check cam timing, time the IP (if you wanted). Everything is easier to work on when its not in a vehicle Wink

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

01-24-2013, 10:31 AM #3
The rear main seal has to be done with the upper oil pan off. The engine has to be out of the car to do it.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM #3

The rear main seal has to be done with the upper oil pan off. The engine has to be out of the car to do it.

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

jenyus
GT2256V

01-24-2013, 01:55 PM #4
Fortunately the car actually doesn't leak at all. I was amazed when I got it
jenyus
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM #4

Fortunately the car actually doesn't leak at all. I was amazed when I got it

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-24-2013, 03:54 PM #5
Chain guide rails, water pump seals/hose, front main seal (reverse ring or get new one look it up) turbo grain seals/gaskets, oil pan seal. Loosen then retighten injection pump mounting bolts(one at a time so you don't have to retime), and add oil to the threads. Do the same with the vac pump cover. This will make adjustments easier. also break the oil filter bolts loose and replace that gasket-makes it easier to tune in car. Replace all the bolts on the back of the IP with allen or hex heads(new gasket here) break the ALDA bolt free-it's much easier out of the car. Also break the starter bolts free and retorque

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM #5

Chain guide rails, water pump seals/hose, front main seal (reverse ring or get new one look it up) turbo grain seals/gaskets, oil pan seal. Loosen then retighten injection pump mounting bolts(one at a time so you don't have to retime), and add oil to the threads. Do the same with the vac pump cover. This will make adjustments easier. also break the oil filter bolts loose and replace that gasket-makes it easier to tune in car. Replace all the bolts on the back of the IP with allen or hex heads(new gasket here) break the ALDA bolt free-it's much easier out of the car. Also break the starter bolts free and retorque

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

jenyus
GT2256V

01-24-2013, 06:29 PM #6
sounds like a pretty good list! i already took the alda off, i hit it with a hammer and a steel tube till it spun off. do you know what thread and length the IP bolts are? hex head is a great idea
jenyus
01-24-2013, 06:29 PM #6

sounds like a pretty good list! i already took the alda off, i hit it with a hammer and a steel tube till it spun off. do you know what thread and length the IP bolts are? hex head is a great idea

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

01-24-2013, 09:09 PM #7
Then there's the stuff that has nothing to do directly with the engine, but might as well do now, whilst you can see, stand, and crouch where the engine normally is (assuming you are going to keep the SD):

--Steam-clean out the engine compartment.
--Renew the sway bar bushings, and anything else on the suspension that feels weak or looks awry.
--Check all firewall grommets for weatherproofness.
--Clean the 30-year-old leaf litter out of the cowl intakes and hood hinge wells.
--If excessive steering wheel play exists, dismount the steering damper, push it in and pull it out all the way, and if there is any unevenness or free play at the far ends of travel, replace it.
--If center vents don't blow warm on command, renew heater monovalve.
--Good time to renew the hood insulation mat, if it needs it.
--Also a good time to renew all heater hoses which pipe into the firewall.
--Replace rubber fuel hoses with Parker 7165 or better (biodiesel resistant).
--Check windshield squirters and renew if needed.
--Check exhaust bracket mounting where the downpipe connects to the exhaust.
--and undoubtedly more which escapes me at the moment.

Of course, if you are sending the SD to the crusher, then never mind the above...
This post was last modified: 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM by JustPassinThru.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
01-24-2013, 09:09 PM #7

Then there's the stuff that has nothing to do directly with the engine, but might as well do now, whilst you can see, stand, and crouch where the engine normally is (assuming you are going to keep the SD):

--Steam-clean out the engine compartment.
--Renew the sway bar bushings, and anything else on the suspension that feels weak or looks awry.
--Check all firewall grommets for weatherproofness.
--Clean the 30-year-old leaf litter out of the cowl intakes and hood hinge wells.
--If excessive steering wheel play exists, dismount the steering damper, push it in and pull it out all the way, and if there is any unevenness or free play at the far ends of travel, replace it.
--If center vents don't blow warm on command, renew heater monovalve.
--Good time to renew the hood insulation mat, if it needs it.
--Also a good time to renew all heater hoses which pipe into the firewall.
--Replace rubber fuel hoses with Parker 7165 or better (biodiesel resistant).
--Check windshield squirters and renew if needed.
--Check exhaust bracket mounting where the downpipe connects to the exhaust.
--and undoubtedly more which escapes me at the moment.

Of course, if you are sending the SD to the crusher, then never mind the above...

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-24-2013, 09:35 PM #8
M6x1 on the back of the IP, Don't know the length but I *think* 10mm or 15mm is okay.

Simpler=Better
01-24-2013, 09:35 PM #8

M6x1 on the back of the IP, Don't know the length but I *think* 10mm or 15mm is okay.

jenyus
GT2256V

01-25-2013, 12:29 AM #9
Cool thanks guys! Yeah the 300SD will be scrapped. The exterior is in almost perfect condition as are all the seats but the drivers. It's such a nice car I hate to scrap it! I'll try and part it out when I'm done with it if anyone wants it.

Since this is going in my wife's jeep, she also wants the motor painted pink before it goes in
This post was last modified: 01-25-2013, 12:54 AM by jenyus.
jenyus
01-25-2013, 12:29 AM #9

Cool thanks guys! Yeah the 300SD will be scrapped. The exterior is in almost perfect condition as are all the seats but the drivers. It's such a nice car I hate to scrap it! I'll try and part it out when I'm done with it if anyone wants it.

Since this is going in my wife's jeep, she also wants the motor painted pink before it goes in

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-25-2013, 08:05 AM #10
Definitely sell the shell, you should be able to get $500 especially if you throw in the two transmissions. Would be a waste to scrap a non rusty cali car.

Simpler=Better
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM #10

Definitely sell the shell, you should be able to get $500 especially if you throw in the two transmissions. Would be a waste to scrap a non rusty cali car.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-26-2013, 03:10 PM #11
(01-25-2013, 08:05 AM)Simpler=Better Definitely sell the shell, you should be able to get $500 especially if you throw in the two transmissions. Would be a waste to scrap a non rusty cali car.

^^^Agreed

MFSuper90
01-26-2013, 03:10 PM #11

(01-25-2013, 08:05 AM)Simpler=Better Definitely sell the shell, you should be able to get $500 especially if you throw in the two transmissions. Would be a waste to scrap a non rusty cali car.

^^^Agreed

lpumb3
617 300sd

01-27-2013, 09:21 AM #12
everything ! i could never pull a motor without doing every gasket i could order . but i enjoy the disassemble.
i agree save the good bodys. to bad your on the wrong side of the country .
This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM by lpumb3.
lpumb3
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM #12

everything ! i could never pull a motor without doing every gasket i could order . but i enjoy the disassemble.
i agree save the good bodys. to bad your on the wrong side of the country .

jenyus
GT2256V

02-04-2013, 03:18 PM #13
I'm just not comfortable enough right now to rebuild the whole motor and then put it in the jeep. If there was anything wrong with it after the swap there would e too many different avenues to chase problems down for me
jenyus
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM #13

I'm just not comfortable enough right now to rebuild the whole motor and then put it in the jeep. If there was anything wrong with it after the swap there would e too many different avenues to chase problems down for me

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-04-2013, 03:43 PM #14
We're not talking about a rebuild-just the gaskets that are easier to get to while hte engine is out. Loosening bolts that are known to be a PITA is a huge time saver as well

Simpler=Better
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM #14

We're not talking about a rebuild-just the gaskets that are easier to get to while hte engine is out. Loosening bolts that are known to be a PITA is a huge time saver as well

jenyus
GT2256V

02-04-2013, 06:41 PM #15
Oh okay I see, that makes sense. I can see some exhaust fumes coming from the intake manifold, right by cyl1 so I'll definitely do it there.

Another question, forced induction said that you can damage your turbo by drilling for the pyrometers on top of the exhaust manifold instead of the bottom. I don't understand why this is the case or if it's even true, he seemed knowledgable but he's also banned on almost every site lol
jenyus
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM #15

Oh okay I see, that makes sense. I can see some exhaust fumes coming from the intake manifold, right by cyl1 so I'll definitely do it there.

Another question, forced induction said that you can damage your turbo by drilling for the pyrometers on top of the exhaust manifold instead of the bottom. I don't understand why this is the case or if it's even true, he seemed knowledgable but he's also banned on almost every site lol

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-04-2013, 09:51 PM #16
He can come across as abrasive.

I think he was talking about drilling while the turbo is installed. If everything is taken apart drill wherever is convenient.

Simpler=Better
02-04-2013, 09:51 PM #16

He can come across as abrasive.

I think he was talking about drilling while the turbo is installed. If everything is taken apart drill wherever is convenient.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

02-04-2013, 10:11 PM #17
Simpler=Better is correct. On both things Big Grin
Some people drill and tap the manifold while the engine is running, hoping pieces of metal don't lodge themselves in your turbo, and destroying it. I honestly think it would be hard to hurt the exhaust side unless a piece got caught in between the wheel and the housing, but I still wouldn't try it.

MFSuper90
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM #17

Simpler=Better is correct. On both things Big Grin
Some people drill and tap the manifold while the engine is running, hoping pieces of metal don't lodge themselves in your turbo, and destroying it. I honestly think it would be hard to hurt the exhaust side unless a piece got caught in between the wheel and the housing, but I still wouldn't try it.

jenyus
GT2256V

02-04-2013, 11:30 PM #18
That makes sense, thanks guys.

As far as forced induction goes, hes obviously very smart, knowledgable and helpful but can be abrasive for sure. I think he probably has assbergers syndrome personally, but online it's hard to tell
jenyus
02-04-2013, 11:30 PM #18

That makes sense, thanks guys.

As far as forced induction goes, hes obviously very smart, knowledgable and helpful but can be abrasive for sure. I think he probably has assbergers syndrome personally, but online it's hard to tell

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-05-2013, 09:07 AM #19
Yeah, and I can kinda see his side of the argument-5 million noobs pinching wastegate hoses and "feeling the power" when all they're doing is overboosting and making more noise.

Simpler=Better
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM #19

Yeah, and I can kinda see his side of the argument-5 million noobs pinching wastegate hoses and "feeling the power" when all they're doing is overboosting and making more noise.

jenyus
GT2256V

02-05-2013, 01:51 PM #20
haha yeah. ive known people like that, really good helpful people but they dont do well with differing opinions.

BTW thanks for that adapter plate, should have the motor in sometime in the next 2 weeks
This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM by jenyus.
jenyus
02-05-2013, 01:51 PM #20

haha yeah. ive known people like that, really good helpful people but they dont do well with differing opinions.

BTW thanks for that adapter plate, should have the motor in sometime in the next 2 weeks

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-05-2013, 02:41 PM #21
Great, let me know how it turns out. Did you see the shipping label? MF!@@$##@%!#@$#! UPS was like $70

Simpler=Better
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM #21

Great, let me know how it turns out. Did you see the shipping label? MF!@@$##@%!#@$#! UPS was like $70

jenyus
GT2256V

02-05-2013, 04:37 PM #22
Man! That's crazy! I'm glad I made you the offer for the shipped price haha!i
jenyus
02-05-2013, 04:37 PM #22

Man! That's crazy! I'm glad I made you the offer for the shipped price haha!i

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

02-05-2013, 08:13 PM #23
bird in the hand blah blah plus I'd rather see it used than rusting in the garage

Simpler=Better
02-05-2013, 08:13 PM #23

bird in the hand blah blah plus I'd rather see it used than rusting in the garage

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average