STD Tuning Engine 617 garret downpipe bolt on 3"?

617 garret downpipe bolt on 3"?

617 garret downpipe bolt on 3"?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-02-2013, 09:47 AM #1
Does anybody have a source for a bolt on downpipe for a stock garret turbo? Maybe you have the skill to make one and I can buy it?

My current set up is sloppy and absent of the short flexible section post turbo. Pre-downpipe. The pipe is c-clamped on to the turbo with no gasket or flange or anything a non stupid installation would include. When removing the turbo I have to take off the clamp and unbend the pipe to get it off. It leaks and is ugly. Will someone help me unstupify my downpipe situation with a bolt on solution.

And by the way, I am acquiring the flexible section, all I need it the downpipe 3"
This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM by lgreeley83.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
02-02-2013, 09:47 AM #1

Does anybody have a source for a bolt on downpipe for a stock garret turbo? Maybe you have the skill to make one and I can buy it?

My current set up is sloppy and absent of the short flexible section post turbo. Pre-downpipe. The pipe is c-clamped on to the turbo with no gasket or flange or anything a non stupid installation would include. When removing the turbo I have to take off the clamp and unbend the pipe to get it off. It leaks and is ugly. Will someone help me unstupify my downpipe situation with a bolt on solution.

And by the way, I am acquiring the flexible section, all I need it the downpipe 3"

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-02-2013, 11:16 AM #2
Maybe I should have put this in the want to buy section. I figure it could be a general source for people though since so many like to modify the exhaust.

Who wants to corner the market on this?

lgreeley83
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM #2

Maybe I should have put this in the want to buy section. I figure it could be a general source for people though since so many like to modify the exhaust.

Who wants to corner the market on this?

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-02-2013, 12:42 PM #3
there are a few options if you find a "Vibrant " dealer they make all kinds of exhaust downpipes flanges vbands etc. have seen there 4bolt standard t3 flange with 6-8-10-12" straight pipe ss, or mild. or a 3"vband to the cast iron flange where your little flex section is . just order it long/ short enough to fit a 90 or 45 bend , to the standard dp/flex pipe . a kindergarden competent custom exhaust shop should be able to weld it up with a reducer from 3to 2.5"
you can get all the little pipe pieces to make a nice down pipe for short money . esp if you have your own welder/chop saw .
lpumb3
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM #3

there are a few options if you find a "Vibrant " dealer they make all kinds of exhaust downpipes flanges vbands etc. have seen there 4bolt standard t3 flange with 6-8-10-12" straight pipe ss, or mild. or a 3"vband to the cast iron flange where your little flex section is . just order it long/ short enough to fit a 90 or 45 bend , to the standard dp/flex pipe . a kindergarden competent custom exhaust shop should be able to weld it up with a reducer from 3to 2.5"
you can get all the little pipe pieces to make a nice down pipe for short money . esp if you have your own welder/chop saw .

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-02-2013, 01:28 PM #4
(02-02-2013, 12:42 PM)lpumbisnt id='48422 there are a few options if you find a "Vibrant " dealer they make all kinds of exhaust downpipes flanges vbands etc. have seen there 4bolt standard t3 flange with 6-8-10-12" straight pipe ss, or mild. or a 3"vband to the cast iron flange where your little flex section is . just order it long/ short enough to fit a 90 or 45 bend , to the standard dp/flex pipe . a kindergarden competent custom exhaust shop should be able to weld it up with a reducer from 3to 2.5"

I've had shops make stuff. That's not the issue. I'll be out of the country for the next 3 months and I'm just trying to stockpile parts for when I get home. I don't feel comfortable enough to tell someone how to build my stuff when I don't have my car to take measurements on.

That all being said maybe someone who has already mocked this up to the same specs I've specified has the capabilities to make another? Short on cash and has some free time?

I know there isnt a store for w123 617.9xx performance that I can check a box and pick between 2 day or standard shipping but I dream. Big Grin

That website is pretty sweet though
This post was last modified: 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
02-02-2013, 01:28 PM #4

(02-02-2013, 12:42 PM)lpumbisnt id='48422 there are a few options if you find a "Vibrant " dealer they make all kinds of exhaust downpipes flanges vbands etc. have seen there 4bolt standard t3 flange with 6-8-10-12" straight pipe ss, or mild. or a 3"vband to the cast iron flange where your little flex section is . just order it long/ short enough to fit a 90 or 45 bend , to the standard dp/flex pipe . a kindergarden competent custom exhaust shop should be able to weld it up with a reducer from 3to 2.5"

I've had shops make stuff. That's not the issue. I'll be out of the country for the next 3 months and I'm just trying to stockpile parts for when I get home. I don't feel comfortable enough to tell someone how to build my stuff when I don't have my car to take measurements on.

That all being said maybe someone who has already mocked this up to the same specs I've specified has the capabilities to make another? Short on cash and has some free time?

I know there isnt a store for w123 617.9xx performance that I can check a box and pick between 2 day or standard shipping but I dream. Big Grin

That website is pretty sweet though

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

02-02-2013, 04:12 PM #5
I used the stock downpipe then bolted the 3" on back. I would make sure you have a piece of flex in the down pipe like the stocker does so it can absorb some of the beating the exhaust gets.

PS. I haven't got around to looking at my turbo yet, but now this reminded me. I might go do that in a couple minutes

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
02-02-2013, 04:12 PM #5

I used the stock downpipe then bolted the 3" on back. I would make sure you have a piece of flex in the down pipe like the stocker does so it can absorb some of the beating the exhaust gets.

PS. I haven't got around to looking at my turbo yet, but now this reminded me. I might go do that in a couple minutes

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

JustPassinThru
W123 and W124

02-03-2013, 03:18 PM #6
I walked into the Austin ProMax muffler shop in Puyallup, Washington with my old stock downpipe, told them I want it duplicated in 3-inch and stainless steel, came back two hours later and picked it up, $120 plus tax. However, when I mounted it I discovered that it passed uncomfortably close to the starter. So, they told me to bring the car in, I did, they took it off and bent it to comfortably clear, fits perfectly now, no charge. But I'm not selling and have zero free time. And but, you should be able to do the same thing. Then again, perhaps if you were to keep me posted on interesting goodies you are seeing in the bazaars over there...

(**edited: yes, there is a flex section. The flex section is what was sitting too close to the starter.**)
This post was last modified: 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM by JustPassinThru.

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).
JustPassinThru
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM #6

I walked into the Austin ProMax muffler shop in Puyallup, Washington with my old stock downpipe, told them I want it duplicated in 3-inch and stainless steel, came back two hours later and picked it up, $120 plus tax. However, when I mounted it I discovered that it passed uncomfortably close to the starter. So, they told me to bring the car in, I did, they took it off and bent it to comfortably clear, fits perfectly now, no charge. But I'm not selling and have zero free time. And but, you should be able to do the same thing. Then again, perhaps if you were to keep me posted on interesting goodies you are seeing in the bazaars over there...

(**edited: yes, there is a flex section. The flex section is what was sitting too close to the starter.**)

Gone but not forgotten: two W123 sedans and two W124 wagons.
W124 1987 300TD wagon, for sale, $1000 (some assembly required).

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-03-2013, 03:59 PM #7
Maybe someone has an old downpipe for sale. I like that idea but don't even have original.

Lol I'm trying to get these Egyptians on the same page as me. I had the guy that had already done the legwork in finding parts, I was going to get American muscle parts shipped to him it was going to be a harmonious relationship. He hasn't returned a call lately. I think he may have gotten scared of breaking rules. Not to mention a guy walking through the gate security checkpoint with a transmission would seem a bit odd. I have not given up though.

The only true mercedes junkyard is over by the suez and that area is pretty rough right now. I was hoping for some r&r in israel but that whole missle at syria thing has everybody's panties in a bunch. lol Cant catch a break around here.

I do have a buddy that brings me local dates (food) and a constant supply of strong Turkish coffee. I don't know how I lived without that in my life. Other than that and Mercedes parts I'm pretty convinced that everything for sale here is fake or made in china. Its funny I was signing out some pruning shears from the Egyptian in charge of the self help construction supplies and he got all excited to hand me "high quality American" shears. He than frowns and says "oh no, made in china".

lgreeley83
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM #7

Maybe someone has an old downpipe for sale. I like that idea but don't even have original.

Lol I'm trying to get these Egyptians on the same page as me. I had the guy that had already done the legwork in finding parts, I was going to get American muscle parts shipped to him it was going to be a harmonious relationship. He hasn't returned a call lately. I think he may have gotten scared of breaking rules. Not to mention a guy walking through the gate security checkpoint with a transmission would seem a bit odd. I have not given up though.

The only true mercedes junkyard is over by the suez and that area is pretty rough right now. I was hoping for some r&r in israel but that whole missle at syria thing has everybody's panties in a bunch. lol Cant catch a break around here.

I do have a buddy that brings me local dates (food) and a constant supply of strong Turkish coffee. I don't know how I lived without that in my life. Other than that and Mercedes parts I'm pretty convinced that everything for sale here is fake or made in china. Its funny I was signing out some pruning shears from the Egyptian in charge of the self help construction supplies and he got all excited to hand me "high quality American" shears. He than frowns and says "oh no, made in china".

Greazzer
Superturbo

02-03-2013, 08:24 PM #8
Did you try Ecklers ?

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
02-03-2013, 08:24 PM #8

Did you try Ecklers ?

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-04-2013, 04:06 PM #9
didnt realize you were in a country sans vehicle .
i guess , what i was saying is , that there are Straight down pipes available in different lengths , with the flanges for the 4 stud 2-1/2- 3" turbo discharge. or with 2-1/2 or 3" v bands already welded. it would just be a matter of what Just Passin said , drop it off at a shop have em weld it up . i only mention the bends because it would be better crafted with full diameter bends .
Vibrant stuff is all over flea bay and other sites , you may even finds a preformed pipe that is Pretty damn close and have to do some minor fab .
stay safe down there
This post was last modified: 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM by lpumb3.
lpumb3
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM #9

didnt realize you were in a country sans vehicle .
i guess , what i was saying is , that there are Straight down pipes available in different lengths , with the flanges for the 4 stud 2-1/2- 3" turbo discharge. or with 2-1/2 or 3" v bands already welded. it would just be a matter of what Just Passin said , drop it off at a shop have em weld it up . i only mention the bends because it would be better crafted with full diameter bends .
Vibrant stuff is all over flea bay and other sites , you may even finds a preformed pipe that is Pretty damn close and have to do some minor fab .
stay safe down there

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-23-2013, 07:17 AM #10
Dont know what original looks like. Would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1985-Merced...7942086%26

lgreeley83
02-23-2013, 07:17 AM #10

Dont know what original looks like. Would this work?

lpumb3
617 300sd

02-23-2013, 09:59 AM #11
(02-23-2013, 07:17 AM)lgreeley83 Dont know what original looks like. Would this work?

looks like you might be able to fit it after the second flange on the manifold, after the turbo discharge flex.
then you will have to do some work to figure out what flex youll use on the down pipe .
the flange closest to the flex on your pic looks smaller . than the other
and the benz is three studs .
youll have to play with it
lpumb3
02-23-2013, 09:59 AM #11

(02-23-2013, 07:17 AM)lgreeley83 Dont know what original looks like. Would this work?

looks like you might be able to fit it after the second flange on the manifold, after the turbo discharge flex.
then you will have to do some work to figure out what flex youll use on the down pipe .
the flange closest to the flex on your pic looks smaller . than the other
and the benz is three studs .
youll have to play with it

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-23-2013, 10:07 AM #12
Hmm...need cheap original to use as template to bend a new one 3”

lgreeley83
02-23-2013, 10:07 AM #12

Hmm...need cheap original to use as template to bend a new one 3”