STD Tuning Engine 1979 Mercedes 300SD

1979 Mercedes 300SD

1979 Mercedes 300SD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TraceTidwell
Naturally-aspirated

02-14-2013, 11:25 PM #1
So I recently got my first Diesel a 1979 300SD, it is pushing 364k and was given to me for helping my friend around his shop in town. The rear wheel bearing went out in it over a year ago and the previous owner bought the parts but decided against doing the repair and left it. I got the wheel off and the rotor was broken in two pieces and the sway bar link broken off. I wasn't really prepared for the job not knowing I needed a special tool. I bought a set of rear pads, 2 new rotors, a set of parking brake pads, all four belts, 6 glow plugs, valve cover gasket, 2 sway bar links, 2 cv boots and the other wheel bearing kit.

I can't seem to find a differential gasket, does anybody have any suggestions?

I plan to make the tool by using the wheel nut maybe a socket and a dremel I have plenty to make the tool with.

I read how to adjust the valves and it seems pretty straight forward.

Can anybody give me any suggestions for my engine I have been cleaning it and got rid of the ugly air cleaner I'm not sure if I have a 617.950 or 617.951 I have the non egr exhaust but my Intake is in the front not the middle from what I have been reading its the w115 intake unless I made a mistake. I know mine is a w116, my drivers window won't roll down either and my rear passenger door will open from the inside but not the outside.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Files
Image(s)

TraceTidwell
02-14-2013, 11:25 PM #1

So I recently got my first Diesel a 1979 300SD, it is pushing 364k and was given to me for helping my friend around his shop in town. The rear wheel bearing went out in it over a year ago and the previous owner bought the parts but decided against doing the repair and left it. I got the wheel off and the rotor was broken in two pieces and the sway bar link broken off. I wasn't really prepared for the job not knowing I needed a special tool. I bought a set of rear pads, 2 new rotors, a set of parking brake pads, all four belts, 6 glow plugs, valve cover gasket, 2 sway bar links, 2 cv boots and the other wheel bearing kit.

I can't seem to find a differential gasket, does anybody have any suggestions?

I plan to make the tool by using the wheel nut maybe a socket and a dremel I have plenty to make the tool with.

I read how to adjust the valves and it seems pretty straight forward.

Can anybody give me any suggestions for my engine I have been cleaning it and got rid of the ugly air cleaner I'm not sure if I have a 617.950 or 617.951 I have the non egr exhaust but my Intake is in the front not the middle from what I have been reading its the w115 intake unless I made a mistake. I know mine is a w116, my drivers window won't roll down either and my rear passenger door will open from the inside but not the outside.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files
Image(s)

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

02-15-2013, 12:50 AM #2
If you look at the driver's side of the engine block behind injection pump and oil filter housing area you will find your 617.XXX . Spray some degreaser in the area and have some good lighting.

Your manifolds are correct for that car and generally sought after being they are non egr. If you look at my thread about my 300d in Chicago you can see an example of the w115 manifold that is sought after due to raised inlet allowing easier intercooler or different turbo installation.

welcome to the club!

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
02-15-2013, 12:50 AM #2

If you look at the driver's side of the engine block behind injection pump and oil filter housing area you will find your 617.XXX . Spray some degreaser in the area and have some good lighting.

Your manifolds are correct for that car and generally sought after being they are non egr. If you look at my thread about my 300d in Chicago you can see an example of the w115 manifold that is sought after due to raised inlet allowing easier intercooler or different turbo installation.

welcome to the club!

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

02-15-2013, 12:57 AM #3
There is no gasket needed for the differential. Mercedes used an anaerobic gasket maker.
http://www.permatex.com/products/product...e-sealants
Torkey
02-15-2013, 12:57 AM #3

There is no gasket needed for the differential. Mercedes used an anaerobic gasket maker.
http://www.permatex.com/products/product...e-sealants

TraceTidwell
Naturally-aspirated

02-15-2013, 02:03 AM #4
Thank you for the quick responses and glad to know about the gasket!

Here is a video I took today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJ6YvwpCnQ
TraceTidwell
02-15-2013, 02:03 AM #4

Thank you for the quick responses and glad to know about the gasket!

Here is a video I took today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJ6YvwpCnQ

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average