STD Tuning Engine Starting OM606 on stand

Starting OM606 on stand

Starting OM606 on stand

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TheDon
606 Power!!

04-24-2013, 01:08 PM #1
I've never started an engine outside of a car before so this is a first. I have a general idea of whats going on.

I have fuel line for supply and return plumbed up and need to grab some diesel. Need to add oil to the engine before anything as well, I'm going to just buy some cheap diesel rated oil from Wal Mart. Next up is the glow plugs. I was dumb and did not grab the W210 glow plug relay so I have the wiring harness for the GP's.

How do I wire the plugs so I can glow them with a car battery?

Lastly, the starter. I have it bolted into place and what do I do?

I have jumper cables so do I put the negative on the engine and ground it and then use the positive end to hit the starter solenoid (small post on the starter)?

I have to prime the fuel system since I did remove the injection pump and lines so thats probably going to be a pain. But during that time it should build up oil pressure and get everything lubricated, correct?

tips are welcome! I found a video on youtube by olefejer and I've been trying to figure out what hes doing but he goes too fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtNtHWSOc4
TheDon
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM #1

I've never started an engine outside of a car before so this is a first. I have a general idea of whats going on.

I have fuel line for supply and return plumbed up and need to grab some diesel. Need to add oil to the engine before anything as well, I'm going to just buy some cheap diesel rated oil from Wal Mart. Next up is the glow plugs. I was dumb and did not grab the W210 glow plug relay so I have the wiring harness for the GP's.

How do I wire the plugs so I can glow them with a car battery?

Lastly, the starter. I have it bolted into place and what do I do?

I have jumper cables so do I put the negative on the engine and ground it and then use the positive end to hit the starter solenoid (small post on the starter)?

I have to prime the fuel system since I did remove the injection pump and lines so thats probably going to be a pain. But during that time it should build up oil pressure and get everything lubricated, correct?

tips are welcome! I found a video on youtube by olefejer and I've been trying to figure out what hes doing but he goes too fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgtNtHWSOc4

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-24-2013, 01:33 PM #2
You can glow with any kind of wire and clips. Be sure to have coolant or at least water in there, you can get away with looping the inlet and outlet or just running a garden hose into the inlet. You don't want to cook it.

Before starting turn it over with just the starter to build oil pressure.

No idea on getting fuel

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM #2

You can glow with any kind of wire and clips. Be sure to have coolant or at least water in there, you can get away with looping the inlet and outlet or just running a garden hose into the inlet. You don't want to cook it.

Before starting turn it over with just the starter to build oil pressure.

No idea on getting fuel

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Grecy
GTA2056V

04-24-2013, 01:41 PM #3
For the starter, you'll need to wire the big terminal on the starter to +12 on the bat with a thick cable (jumper lead) as this will supply the current when it cranks.

To actually start it, touch the small terminal of the starter to +12 and hold it while it spins, then take it off.. you can use any old wire for that really.
You probably shouldn't hold it for more than ~5 sec at a time, lest you overheat the starter motor.

I'm very interested to hear how well your 606 runs...

-Dan
Grecy
04-24-2013, 01:41 PM #3

For the starter, you'll need to wire the big terminal on the starter to +12 on the bat with a thick cable (jumper lead) as this will supply the current when it cranks.

To actually start it, touch the small terminal of the starter to +12 and hold it while it spins, then take it off.. you can use any old wire for that really.
You probably shouldn't hold it for more than ~5 sec at a time, lest you overheat the starter motor.

I'm very interested to hear how well your 606 runs...

-Dan

TheDon
606 Power!!

04-24-2013, 02:33 PM #4
I dont have a garden hose long enough to feed it water. I only want to start it and run it for at max 1minute.

I have a 2 gallon gas can for diesel and have fuel line on the supy and return and will stick them in the gas can.
TheDon
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM #4

I dont have a garden hose long enough to feed it water. I only want to start it and run it for at max 1minute.

I have a 2 gallon gas can for diesel and have fuel line on the supy and return and will stick them in the gas can.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

04-24-2013, 02:43 PM #5
Can you dump a bucket of water in the block at least and cap the inlet /outlet?

Simpler=Better
04-24-2013, 02:43 PM #5

Can you dump a bucket of water in the block at least and cap the inlet /outlet?

TheDon
606 Power!!

04-24-2013, 03:33 PM #6
I can probably do that. I hope I saved my old 603 radiator hose... aaand I didn't

I did find some spade connectors to make some sort of connector so I can glow the plugs. I should probably use a solid core wire and no idea on the gauge. Guess I'll head to lowes.. again.
This post was last modified: 04-24-2013, 04:47 PM by TheDon.
TheDon
04-24-2013, 03:33 PM #6

I can probably do that. I hope I saved my old 603 radiator hose... aaand I didn't

I did find some spade connectors to make some sort of connector so I can glow the plugs. I should probably use a solid core wire and no idea on the gauge. Guess I'll head to lowes.. again.

winmutt
bitbanger

04-24-2013, 04:53 PM #7
I figured it takes less time to get the engine in and out than risk doing any of this on a stand Big Grin

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM #7

I figured it takes less time to get the engine in and out than risk doing any of this on a stand Big Grin

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

simonm16p6
K26-2

04-24-2013, 05:06 PM #8
This is me starting my OM605

I've got a Facet fuel pump screwed to the side of the oil filter housing for the fuel, and part way through you can see me putting the wire to the glowplugs into the jumplead. There is a ratchet strap over the top of the engine as they don't seem to balance on their own as well as some engines. To start, there is a short wire off the solonoid terminal that I touch on the main battery feed to the starter, simple as that Smile

This video shows the Facet fuel pump better.

simonm16p6
04-24-2013, 05:06 PM #8

This is me starting my OM605

I've got a Facet fuel pump screwed to the side of the oil filter housing for the fuel, and part way through you can see me putting the wire to the glowplugs into the jumplead. There is a ratchet strap over the top of the engine as they don't seem to balance on their own as well as some engines. To start, there is a short wire off the solonoid terminal that I touch on the main battery feed to the starter, simple as that Smile

This video shows the Facet fuel pump better.

TheDon
606 Power!!

04-24-2013, 06:36 PM #9
(04-24-2013, 04:53 PM)winmutt I figured it takes less time to get the engine in and out than risk doing any of this on a stand Big Grin

remove 603, clean everything, plumb up intercooler and etc, buy 606 linkages, install everything... fire engine... doesn't start.. Low and behold.. its a dud...

Yeah, to me its worth it to start it out of the car
TheDon
04-24-2013, 06:36 PM #9

(04-24-2013, 04:53 PM)winmutt I figured it takes less time to get the engine in and out than risk doing any of this on a stand Big Grin

remove 603, clean everything, plumb up intercooler and etc, buy 606 linkages, install everything... fire engine... doesn't start.. Low and behold.. its a dud...

Yeah, to me its worth it to start it out of the car

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average