STD Other Projects My 87 300D Build Plus...

My 87 300D Build Plus...

My 87 300D Build Plus...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
NGARover
GTA2056V

06-07-2013, 08:24 PM #1
First a little history...

I started to play around with older land rovers, hence the name. While I like the trucks themselves I find the electrical systems and the engines to be total crap so I started researching a transplant. I set my sights on the om617... So I went to CL to find a donor... what I found was this 1987 300D. I knew nothing about the cars, it seemed cheap enough (about 1000 bucks) and it ran ok. I knew it was not the om617 but thought it would at least give me a taste of the MB diesels.... I started to play with the car, have a youtube up of the various things I did with it...

http://www.youtube.com/user/NGARover

Then one fateful day about 2 years ago I was on the interstate, the water pump failed and I cracked the head in 4 places.... I was lucky enough to locate a replacement head (another 14) and drove up 2 hours one morning to pull it from the donor car. head in hand, I took it over and had it fully tested etc. in the meantime I got side tracked on other projects, life and of course that big storm/tornado that hit our area only a month later.

The car sat.

In the mean time I continued to buy MB's... An 80 300, then a 85 300CD, then a 85 300D, and 83 300TDT, a 87 560SL, a 99 E320 wagon, and the 85 300TDT Full euro I drive today. I also got a few other cars, like an 89 F350 crew cab diesel and a 2000 land rover (hate). The F350 was bought to take the 80 to Michigan and bring back the MM engine, it was cheaper to buy the truck than rent something to do the trip and I sold it for over twice what I had into it after. The 2000 LR, I'm giving that to a friend who's helping me with the om617 transplant into my 95 LR.

Needless to say, I'm hooked. I also ended up with a brand new (had 1500 miles on it) Metric motors om617 built for an 85 SD. I dropped it into the 85 300D I had at the time and put another 5000 miles on it, until a mistake I made doing the job reared it's head and the torque converter stripped out all the pump gears... Live and learn.

Pulled the engine back out and bought a 95 land rover with a manual 5 speed and started the swap...

In this time I had also gotten that 99 E320. Long story short, I had bought a rover from a friend, ended up rebuilding it, and he wanted it back so I traded him. The trans ended up going out and it was a total nightmare, took over a year (3 different transmissions) to solve and turned out to be the stupid computer in the shifter.... Well the original trans and the first replacement where shot also...Wife drives it as an every day car since... great car.

The 83 300TDT, I fully restored. I sold it and felt stupid for letting it go and literally went the next day with some of the cash from the sale and bought the 85 Euro 300TDT I have now. It will be restored. I
've been driving the car back and forth to work over an hour drive each way for the last 8 months... No issues. I did replace the entire front suspension and I do have the correct lower ball join tool should anyone happen to need one...

Back to the 87 300D.

So I had almost forgotten about the car. It was sitting at a local shop that does Diesel repair for larger truck this whole time. The shop due to the storms had gotten swamped (its a one man operation) and he had not had any time to get to the car. It was already apart and everything sat on a table for the whole 2 years waiting... I get a call a couple weeks ago and low and behold he had pulled it in and started to work on it again. It should be ready to drive in a week or so, as he's doing it between other jobs. Yes, I should have just done it myself, but at the time I did not have the time. The car is getting the new head, new water pump, a full gasket kit etc... should be pretty good when done. The PO spent a LOT of money on the car in a few short year up to the day I bought it. The receipts came to over 8k... Full suspension rebuild, bilstien shocks all around rebuilt transmission etc... I had tossed a brand new windshield and updated the mono wiper to the newer style only a few weeks before the issue happened with the head. Bad news in the dash had totally cracked from sitting, bad.

On this news I put a feeler out for a parts car that I could get, mine needed not only the dash, but also headlights, and a few things here and there... What I found was a 94 E320 in FLA. Bought it and the car got to my house 4 days ago. NEW Bosh E1 headlights... almost perfect interior, Run fantastic, but has the notorious reverse failure. Bought the car to do a full facelift of the 87... almost hard to part the car out.

Today, I think I bought an 87 560SEL... well, I said ok lol.Local guy and he's going to just hold it for me as he knows I have a lot of other projects going on. It's a gasser, same engine as the 560SL I had but in such nice shape, and one owner I couldn't say no.. God, I'm a gluten for punishment. Plus, I could see the car totally bagged....Angel

So plan it this, I'm going to drop the trans and get the full lowdown on the issue. It's a pretty simple fix but it will also give me a chance to really look over the cars other systems. I may go ahead and fix the car and use it as a driver, giving my 85 300TDT a rest, and focus on finishing the 95 rover. (which is also most ready to take the engine) Yes, I work at a snails pace... do a little here and there until I'm finally done but it's an issue of OCD and funds lol. I figured this will also give my the chance to get the 87 300D finally running right and ready for it's update. I'm not planning anything insane, but I would like to intercool it, and update the turbo at the very least. So I'm following Winmutts and other builds on here with great interest. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person soon as I have to come to Atlanta to pick up a euro bumper and euro TD hitch I bought from Greazzer soon.

Here are some pictures to get this tread started. I'll add more as I go with the 87.
This post was last modified: 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
06-07-2013, 08:24 PM #1

First a little history...

I started to play around with older land rovers, hence the name. While I like the trucks themselves I find the electrical systems and the engines to be total crap so I started researching a transplant. I set my sights on the om617... So I went to CL to find a donor... what I found was this 1987 300D. I knew nothing about the cars, it seemed cheap enough (about 1000 bucks) and it ran ok. I knew it was not the om617 but thought it would at least give me a taste of the MB diesels.... I started to play with the car, have a youtube up of the various things I did with it...

http://www.youtube.com/user/NGARover

Then one fateful day about 2 years ago I was on the interstate, the water pump failed and I cracked the head in 4 places.... I was lucky enough to locate a replacement head (another 14) and drove up 2 hours one morning to pull it from the donor car. head in hand, I took it over and had it fully tested etc. in the meantime I got side tracked on other projects, life and of course that big storm/tornado that hit our area only a month later.

The car sat.

In the mean time I continued to buy MB's... An 80 300, then a 85 300CD, then a 85 300D, and 83 300TDT, a 87 560SL, a 99 E320 wagon, and the 85 300TDT Full euro I drive today. I also got a few other cars, like an 89 F350 crew cab diesel and a 2000 land rover (hate). The F350 was bought to take the 80 to Michigan and bring back the MM engine, it was cheaper to buy the truck than rent something to do the trip and I sold it for over twice what I had into it after. The 2000 LR, I'm giving that to a friend who's helping me with the om617 transplant into my 95 LR.

Needless to say, I'm hooked. I also ended up with a brand new (had 1500 miles on it) Metric motors om617 built for an 85 SD. I dropped it into the 85 300D I had at the time and put another 5000 miles on it, until a mistake I made doing the job reared it's head and the torque converter stripped out all the pump gears... Live and learn.

Pulled the engine back out and bought a 95 land rover with a manual 5 speed and started the swap...

In this time I had also gotten that 99 E320. Long story short, I had bought a rover from a friend, ended up rebuilding it, and he wanted it back so I traded him. The trans ended up going out and it was a total nightmare, took over a year (3 different transmissions) to solve and turned out to be the stupid computer in the shifter.... Well the original trans and the first replacement where shot also...Wife drives it as an every day car since... great car.

The 83 300TDT, I fully restored. I sold it and felt stupid for letting it go and literally went the next day with some of the cash from the sale and bought the 85 Euro 300TDT I have now. It will be restored. I
've been driving the car back and forth to work over an hour drive each way for the last 8 months... No issues. I did replace the entire front suspension and I do have the correct lower ball join tool should anyone happen to need one...

Back to the 87 300D.

So I had almost forgotten about the car. It was sitting at a local shop that does Diesel repair for larger truck this whole time. The shop due to the storms had gotten swamped (its a one man operation) and he had not had any time to get to the car. It was already apart and everything sat on a table for the whole 2 years waiting... I get a call a couple weeks ago and low and behold he had pulled it in and started to work on it again. It should be ready to drive in a week or so, as he's doing it between other jobs. Yes, I should have just done it myself, but at the time I did not have the time. The car is getting the new head, new water pump, a full gasket kit etc... should be pretty good when done. The PO spent a LOT of money on the car in a few short year up to the day I bought it. The receipts came to over 8k... Full suspension rebuild, bilstien shocks all around rebuilt transmission etc... I had tossed a brand new windshield and updated the mono wiper to the newer style only a few weeks before the issue happened with the head. Bad news in the dash had totally cracked from sitting, bad.

On this news I put a feeler out for a parts car that I could get, mine needed not only the dash, but also headlights, and a few things here and there... What I found was a 94 E320 in FLA. Bought it and the car got to my house 4 days ago. NEW Bosh E1 headlights... almost perfect interior, Run fantastic, but has the notorious reverse failure. Bought the car to do a full facelift of the 87... almost hard to part the car out.

Today, I think I bought an 87 560SEL... well, I said ok lol.Local guy and he's going to just hold it for me as he knows I have a lot of other projects going on. It's a gasser, same engine as the 560SL I had but in such nice shape, and one owner I couldn't say no.. God, I'm a gluten for punishment. Plus, I could see the car totally bagged....Angel

So plan it this, I'm going to drop the trans and get the full lowdown on the issue. It's a pretty simple fix but it will also give me a chance to really look over the cars other systems. I may go ahead and fix the car and use it as a driver, giving my 85 300TDT a rest, and focus on finishing the 95 rover. (which is also most ready to take the engine) Yes, I work at a snails pace... do a little here and there until I'm finally done but it's an issue of OCD and funds lol. I figured this will also give my the chance to get the 87 300D finally running right and ready for it's update. I'm not planning anything insane, but I would like to intercool it, and update the turbo at the very least. So I'm following Winmutts and other builds on here with great interest. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person soon as I have to come to Atlanta to pick up a euro bumper and euro TD hitch I bought from Greazzer soon.

Here are some pictures to get this tread started. I'll add more as I go with the 87.

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

06-10-2013, 11:04 AM #2
Got a chance to finally drive the 94 a little. Took it down the hyway by my house about 4-5 miles and back. Runs great. Car feels solid and smooth. Of course, no reverse. Was going to try and do the prepping for teh trans, and my jack is fubar. so I was not able to get the car on the ramps. (fronts too low to drive it on)
NGARover
06-10-2013, 11:04 AM #2

Got a chance to finally drive the 94 a little. Took it down the hyway by my house about 4-5 miles and back. Runs great. Car feels solid and smooth. Of course, no reverse. Was going to try and do the prepping for teh trans, and my jack is fubar. so I was not able to get the car on the ramps. (fronts too low to drive it on)

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-01-2013, 06:28 AM #3
The 87 is RUNNING! Dumped all the old fuel but didn't have access to a new spin on filter, the car ran smoke for a the first couple hours, but cleared up after driving it. Fuel had been sitting in it for over 2 years. Mech was unsure of the timing, and set it to 15 BTDC... funny enough it fires right up and runs fine. But he's going to put it at 15 AFTC and test that. Strange it could be 30 off and still run that good. When I say starts right up I mean does not even make a full revolution and it's running.

Going to bring it home today or tomorrow and will get it beside the 94 to get ready for the big parts swap. Will take plenty of pictures.
NGARover
10-01-2013, 06:28 AM #3

The 87 is RUNNING! Dumped all the old fuel but didn't have access to a new spin on filter, the car ran smoke for a the first couple hours, but cleared up after driving it. Fuel had been sitting in it for over 2 years. Mech was unsure of the timing, and set it to 15 BTDC... funny enough it fires right up and runs fine. But he's going to put it at 15 AFTC and test that. Strange it could be 30 off and still run that good. When I say starts right up I mean does not even make a full revolution and it's running.

Going to bring it home today or tomorrow and will get it beside the 94 to get ready for the big parts swap. Will take plenty of pictures.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2013, 07:45 AM #4
Woohoo!

Sounds like you're a bona-fide merc addict. That's surprising it runs 30 out, but hey-at least the engine runs after a head job Smile

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-01-2013, 07:45 AM #4

Woohoo!

Sounds like you're a bona-fide merc addict. That's surprising it runs 30 out, but hey-at least the engine runs after a head job Smile

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

10-01-2013, 08:14 AM #5
Some good lookin cars man! Keep up the good work

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
10-01-2013, 08:14 AM #5

Some good lookin cars man! Keep up the good work

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

1911diesel
GT2256V

10-01-2013, 05:41 PM #6
wow and my ol lady says im addicted to these old benzs... she hasnt met you yet...nice work and good luck on the swap! keep those pics coming!

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]
1911diesel
10-01-2013, 05:41 PM #6

wow and my ol lady says im addicted to these old benzs... she hasnt met you yet...nice work and good luck on the swap! keep those pics coming!

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-02-2013, 09:04 AM #7
(10-01-2013, 05:41 PM)1911diesel wow and my ol lady says im addicted to these old benzs... she hasnt met you yet...nice work and good luck on the swap! keep those pics coming!

What can I say.. I do like them. Wish I knew more about them but, I learn as I go.

The 87 is now sitting back at my house. I don't think the mechanic set the timing correct as it feels underpowered to me. I may have to ask for some help checking that. Timing these things is defiantly not my strong point.

Winmutt... I pointing at you... think if I drove it down one weekend you could just take a look and see where it's currently at with the timing and adjust it with me? teach me?

In the meantime I'll start doing the swap. Poor car needs a lot of work. That 2 years of sitting over there really shows. One think for sure, I'm going to have to address the tires and brakes asap. Planning on swapping the brakes from the 94 as they are new. Plus better anyways. Tires on the 94 are no better ,showing some dry rot.

Other things I've already noticed.

1. The drivers window was left down about and inch this whole time... Derp. Now, the window operates extremely slow. The needle on the odometer is bouncing at 40...

2. seal failed around the trunk letting water in. Fortunately,no rust damage, but carpet etc ruined. Good thing I have the 94's.

3. Dash cracked from sitting in the heat... bad. But, dash from 94 is perfect so...

4. Car needs paint... looks like a real hoopty right now.

Just going to pick a place to start and knock parts out a little at a time.

BTW. anything I take out of the 87 is fair game. The seats are rip free, and springs etc are perfect. Could use to stained back darker, but I would give them a 80 out off 100 as they are now. Pinkamono at it's finest! Smile

video uploading showing me start the car and letting it run a bit. also did a little walk around of it to give a better idea of my starting point.

http://youtu.be/dUWEJuL9DoM
This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-02-2013, 09:04 AM #7

(10-01-2013, 05:41 PM)1911diesel wow and my ol lady says im addicted to these old benzs... she hasnt met you yet...nice work and good luck on the swap! keep those pics coming!

What can I say.. I do like them. Wish I knew more about them but, I learn as I go.

The 87 is now sitting back at my house. I don't think the mechanic set the timing correct as it feels underpowered to me. I may have to ask for some help checking that. Timing these things is defiantly not my strong point.

Winmutt... I pointing at you... think if I drove it down one weekend you could just take a look and see where it's currently at with the timing and adjust it with me? teach me?

In the meantime I'll start doing the swap. Poor car needs a lot of work. That 2 years of sitting over there really shows. One think for sure, I'm going to have to address the tires and brakes asap. Planning on swapping the brakes from the 94 as they are new. Plus better anyways. Tires on the 94 are no better ,showing some dry rot.

Other things I've already noticed.

1. The drivers window was left down about and inch this whole time... Derp. Now, the window operates extremely slow. The needle on the odometer is bouncing at 40...

2. seal failed around the trunk letting water in. Fortunately,no rust damage, but carpet etc ruined. Good thing I have the 94's.

3. Dash cracked from sitting in the heat... bad. But, dash from 94 is perfect so...

4. Car needs paint... looks like a real hoopty right now.

Just going to pick a place to start and knock parts out a little at a time.

BTW. anything I take out of the 87 is fair game. The seats are rip free, and springs etc are perfect. Could use to stained back darker, but I would give them a 80 out off 100 as they are now. Pinkamono at it's finest! Smile

video uploading showing me start the car and letting it run a bit. also did a little walk around of it to give a better idea of my starting point.

http://youtu.be/dUWEJuL9DoM

Attached Files
Image(s)

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-02-2013, 02:03 PM #8
Regarding your timing, if your mechanic had to go from 15* BTDC to 15* ATDC, he would have had to remove and re-clock the pump because there's not that much adjustment. Considering how fun it is to remove the pump, he would have told you about it.

Checking the timing on a 603 is very easy with the tool. Unscrew the plug from the side of the pump, install the tool:
[Image: b85d_35.JPG?set_id=800005007]
and turn the motor until the little blade on the pump slides into the groove in the end of the tool. Then just look at the timing pointer to see where you are.
$25 on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Diesel-...1177958892

Here's the WSM walkthrough with a different (slightly better) tool. Adapting the procedure for use with the cheap tool is pretty obvious.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outsi...1-8240.pdf

You probably don't need a tool at all if you've got a borescope.
raysorenson
10-02-2013, 02:03 PM #8

Regarding your timing, if your mechanic had to go from 15* BTDC to 15* ATDC, he would have had to remove and re-clock the pump because there's not that much adjustment. Considering how fun it is to remove the pump, he would have told you about it.

Checking the timing on a 603 is very easy with the tool. Unscrew the plug from the side of the pump, install the tool:
and turn the motor until the little blade on the pump slides into the groove in the end of the tool. Then just look at the timing pointer to see where you are.

Here's the WSM walkthrough with a different (slightly better) tool. Adapting the procedure for use with the cheap tool is pretty obvious.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-02-2013, 03:25 PM #9
(10-02-2013, 02:03 PM)raysorenson Regarding your timing, if your mechanic had to go from 15* BTDC to 15* ATDC, he would have had to remove and re-clock the pump because there's not that much adjustment. Considering how fun it is to remove the pump, he would have told you about it.

No, I saw what he did. Basically, He never removed or moved the pump when he took off the head. Then he alined by the marks (taking the top sprog off)to move the timing 15 one way or the other. Not the correct way. which is why I would like to have the car actually timed.
NGARover
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM #9

(10-02-2013, 02:03 PM)raysorenson Regarding your timing, if your mechanic had to go from 15* BTDC to 15* ATDC, he would have had to remove and re-clock the pump because there's not that much adjustment. Considering how fun it is to remove the pump, he would have told you about it.

No, I saw what he did. Basically, He never removed or moved the pump when he took off the head. Then he alined by the marks (taking the top sprog off)to move the timing 15 one way or the other. Not the correct way. which is why I would like to have the car actually timed.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-02-2013, 09:55 PM #10
Actually, do you happen to have the Walk though of actually checking to see if the timing chain itself is correct first? With him adjusting it buy removing the top sprocket, I just don't trust it. I have no idea where the timing as far as the chain itself is actually setup.
NGARover
10-02-2013, 09:55 PM #10

Actually, do you happen to have the Walk though of actually checking to see if the timing chain itself is correct first? With him adjusting it buy removing the top sprocket, I just don't trust it. I have no idea where the timing as far as the chain itself is actually setup.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-03-2013, 07:08 AM #11
(10-02-2013, 09:55 PM)NGARover Actually, do you happen to have the Walk though of actually checking to see if the timing chain itself is correct first? With him adjusting it buy removing the top sprocket, I just don't trust it. I have no idea where the timing as far as the chain itself is actually setup.

here http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outsi...6010hw.pdf

and here http://www.w124performance.com/images/OM..._marks.jpg
raysorenson
10-03-2013, 07:08 AM #11

(10-02-2013, 09:55 PM)NGARover Actually, do you happen to have the Walk though of actually checking to see if the timing chain itself is correct first? With him adjusting it buy removing the top sprocket, I just don't trust it. I have no idea where the timing as far as the chain itself is actually setup.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-03-2013, 12:42 PM #12
(10-03-2013, 07:08 AM)raysorenson

Thanks!
NGARover
10-03-2013, 12:42 PM #12

(10-03-2013, 07:08 AM)raysorenson

Thanks!

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-06-2013, 03:31 PM #13
Some work started today. I got the hoods and headlights swapped around. I have to say, I like the original blinkers better than the half clear half yellow. I was going to swap some of the trim around (bumpers) but I'm kind of liking the original there also. I like the more subdued look of the 87 as it sits. Next step will to get the timing sorted out then off to the paint shop.

One thing, I can't seem to adjust the hood low enough on the pass side. This is not an issue with the original hood, The drivers side is flush, and not an issue on the other car with either hood. Any hints?

Also note, I did not have to switch the fenders, the originals fit just fine. Which is good, because there was surface rust on the 94's that would have cost me $$ to fix.

Should I keep the plastic sides inside the truck or switch over to the carpeted version thats in the 94... tough call.
This post was last modified: 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-06-2013, 03:31 PM #13

Some work started today. I got the hoods and headlights swapped around. I have to say, I like the original blinkers better than the half clear half yellow. I was going to swap some of the trim around (bumpers) but I'm kind of liking the original there also. I like the more subdued look of the 87 as it sits. Next step will to get the timing sorted out then off to the paint shop.

One thing, I can't seem to adjust the hood low enough on the pass side. This is not an issue with the original hood, The drivers side is flush, and not an issue on the other car with either hood. Any hints?

Also note, I did not have to switch the fenders, the originals fit just fine. Which is good, because there was surface rust on the 94's that would have cost me $$ to fix.

Should I keep the plastic sides inside the truck or switch over to the carpeted version thats in the 94... tough call.

Attached Files
Image(s)

HughF_UK
GT2256V

10-11-2013, 09:24 AM #14
What engine is in the Discovery? on a 2000 is that a TD5?
HughF_UK
10-11-2013, 09:24 AM #14

What engine is in the Discovery? on a 2000 is that a TD5?

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

10-11-2013, 02:48 PM #15
I like that second gen look on the w124 very clean

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
10-11-2013, 02:48 PM #15

I like that second gen look on the w124 very clean

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-13-2013, 03:02 PM #16
Car is fully stripped and ready for the paint shop. I may take it over there in the morning to drop it off.

Still have not done anything with the timing. I don't have the tool for the IP and honestly the timing of these cars scares me. I hate interference engines. The last one I tried to play with I ended up ruining the engine. Does anyone know of a shop around Chattanooga that can do this? I have not been able to locate one myself.
NGARover
10-13-2013, 03:02 PM #16

Car is fully stripped and ready for the paint shop. I may take it over there in the morning to drop it off.

Still have not done anything with the timing. I don't have the tool for the IP and honestly the timing of these cars scares me. I hate interference engines. The last one I tried to play with I ended up ruining the engine. Does anyone know of a shop around Chattanooga that can do this? I have not been able to locate one myself.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-14-2013, 04:54 PM #17
Quick video of the car being cold started and running for a minute. http://youtu.be/4k0eJsWMJuY
NGARover
10-14-2013, 04:54 PM #17

Quick video of the car being cold started and running for a minute. http://youtu.be/4k0eJsWMJuY

Tito
Holset

10-15-2013, 05:39 AM #18
Sounds like it needs some new glowplugs. Sounds excacly like my car. Gonna give it 6 new plugs today.

That's a nice car by the way Smile
This post was last modified: 10-15-2013, 05:41 AM by Tito.
Tito
10-15-2013, 05:39 AM #18

Sounds like it needs some new glowplugs. Sounds excacly like my car. Gonna give it 6 new plugs today.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-15-2013, 06:56 AM #19
(10-15-2013, 05:39 AM)Tito Sounds like it needs some new glowplugs. Sounds excacly like my car. Gonna give it 6 new plugs today.

It will be a nice car but it needs a LOT of love right now. It's worth saving.
NGARover
10-15-2013, 06:56 AM #19

(10-15-2013, 05:39 AM)Tito Sounds like it needs some new glowplugs. Sounds excacly like my car. Gonna give it 6 new plugs today.

It will be a nice car but it needs a LOT of love right now. It's worth saving.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-17-2013, 06:30 PM #20
Working away on the car. Dropping it off saturday so finishing the total stripping of it. Have tested and found that the body molding from the 94 fits correctly and even the holes line up, so going to go ahead and use them.

It's amazing the amount of dirt/mud that was behind the lower body molding, I better I removed 5-6 cups worth from the 94... major rust area I would think.

Still don't care for the chrome on the bumpers so will retain the originals there. Found something new to me, Bottom drivers side front, behind fender is a hidden oil cooler... never noticed that before. Not sure it's story, but it was held in with zip ties... sigh. Looks pretty corroded. Will take a closer look and get some pictures tomorrow.

This is the look I'm kind of going for...

[Image: 1992_Mercedes_Benz_500E_W124_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg]

[Image: 1992_Mercedes_Benz_500E_W124_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg]

Of course, mine will not be quite this nice... It's a 400 paint job I'm getting... plus I'm using the rims from the 94... but still.... The idea is the same with the deleted/painted chrome on the body molding, the rear badges gone etc...
This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
10-17-2013, 06:30 PM #20

Working away on the car. Dropping it off saturday so finishing the total stripping of it. Have tested and found that the body molding from the 94 fits correctly and even the holes line up, so going to go ahead and use them.

It's amazing the amount of dirt/mud that was behind the lower body molding, I better I removed 5-6 cups worth from the 94... major rust area I would think.

Still don't care for the chrome on the bumpers so will retain the originals there. Found something new to me, Bottom drivers side front, behind fender is a hidden oil cooler... never noticed that before. Not sure it's story, but it was held in with zip ties... sigh. Looks pretty corroded. Will take a closer look and get some pictures tomorrow.

This is the look I'm kind of going for...

[Image: 1992_Mercedes_Benz_500E_W124_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg]

[Image: 1992_Mercedes_Benz_500E_W124_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg]

Of course, mine will not be quite this nice... It's a 400 paint job I'm getting... plus I'm using the rims from the 94... but still.... The idea is the same with the deleted/painted chrome on the body molding, the rear badges gone etc...

willbhere4u

10-18-2013, 09:29 AM #21
Are the 400e's also wide body? That looks like a 500e

willbhere4u
10-18-2013, 09:29 AM #21

Are the 400e's also wide body? That looks like a 500e

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-18-2013, 05:02 PM #22
(10-18-2013, 09:29 AM)willbhere4u Are the 400e's also wide body? That looks like a 500e

yup thats a 500e... Just happens to have the color scheme I want. It's more flared than my 300D
NGARover
10-18-2013, 05:02 PM #22

(10-18-2013, 09:29 AM)willbhere4u Are the 400e's also wide body? That looks like a 500e

yup thats a 500e... Just happens to have the color scheme I want. It's more flared than my 300D

willbhere4u

10-18-2013, 05:05 PM #23
It will look nice they also blacked out all of the window trim!

willbhere4u
10-18-2013, 05:05 PM #23

It will look nice they also blacked out all of the window trim!

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-19-2013, 11:27 AM #24
OK, leaving in a few minutes to take the car to paint shop, so these will be the last pictures of it in this color... Body is really in amazing shape. no rust, all jack point totally clean... Oh, snf I'll be pulling the lights once I'm at the shop.. I have to have them in to drive there.
This post was last modified: 10-19-2013, 11:29 AM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-19-2013, 11:27 AM #24

OK, leaving in a few minutes to take the car to paint shop, so these will be the last pictures of it in this color... Body is really in amazing shape. no rust, all jack point totally clean... Oh, snf I'll be pulling the lights once I'm at the shop.. I have to have them in to drive there.

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-24-2013, 04:07 PM #25
Getting antsy... Saw the car painted today... but only threw a window as it was still in the clean room... From what I saw it looks great and will look even better once I start putting it back together this weekend. I pick the car up tomorrow but might have to wait till saturday morning due to work.

Need to get a glass guy out to the house to remove the window trip strips from the top of the windshield and around the rear glass on the 94, and reinstall them onto the 87 once it's here. I played with the ones on the 87, and just don't have tools I need to remove/install them without bending the crap out of them.
NGARover
10-24-2013, 04:07 PM #25

Getting antsy... Saw the car painted today... but only threw a window as it was still in the clean room... From what I saw it looks great and will look even better once I start putting it back together this weekend. I pick the car up tomorrow but might have to wait till saturday morning due to work.

Need to get a glass guy out to the house to remove the window trip strips from the top of the windshield and around the rear glass on the 94, and reinstall them onto the 87 once it's here. I played with the ones on the 87, and just don't have tools I need to remove/install them without bending the crap out of them.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-25-2013, 04:08 PM #26
Car is home from paint. Heading out to start piecing it back together.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM #26

Car is home from paint. Heading out to start piecing it back together.

Attached Files
Image(s)

willbhere4u

10-25-2013, 05:19 PM #27
looks good. I like the painted bumpers
This post was last modified: 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM by willbhere4u.

willbhere4u
10-25-2013, 05:19 PM #27

looks good. I like the painted bumpers

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-25-2013, 06:43 PM #28
Yup, I like how they turned out. Not driving the car again until I get the timing figured out. Will just work on getting it back together and the interior swapped.
NGARover
10-25-2013, 06:43 PM #28

Yup, I like how they turned out. Not driving the car again until I get the timing figured out. Will just work on getting it back together and the interior swapped.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-26-2013, 02:49 PM #29
Slow but sure today... It saturated out cold... in the 30's so had to wait a little for it to warm up.

Got all the rubber trim/seals on the doors, truck moved over and installed, also install on of the body molding panels on the rear pass door as a test, Plus the door handle from the 94. Also got the grill back in. I had it painted to match the car.

Goes slow cause I'm fixing stuff and cleaning stuff as I go. Also, cause I'm using everything from the 94 that I can, meaning I have to pop all the plastic mounting tabs out for the molding etc... Finding lots of subtle differanced, like the door handle would not seat correctly into the 87 base, had to put the 94 base in and it all worked correctly, but I could not see any difference?

Man I just what to drive it... It handles like its on rails right now, the suspension is all new so the car is solid and tight on the interstate. I wish my 85 handle even half as well.

One thing, doing something like this you end up knowing your car literally inside and out.
This post was last modified: 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-26-2013, 02:49 PM #29

Slow but sure today... It saturated out cold... in the 30's so had to wait a little for it to warm up.

Got all the rubber trim/seals on the doors, truck moved over and installed, also install on of the body molding panels on the rear pass door as a test, Plus the door handle from the 94. Also got the grill back in. I had it painted to match the car.

Goes slow cause I'm fixing stuff and cleaning stuff as I go. Also, cause I'm using everything from the 94 that I can, meaning I have to pop all the plastic mounting tabs out for the molding etc... Finding lots of subtle differanced, like the door handle would not seat correctly into the 87 base, had to put the 94 base in and it all worked correctly, but I could not see any difference?

Man I just what to drive it... It handles like its on rails right now, the suspension is all new so the car is solid and tight on the interstate. I wish my 85 handle even half as well.

One thing, doing something like this you end up knowing your car literally inside and out.

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-27-2013, 05:24 PM #30
Little further today.

Finished both rear doors. Added some more or the body molding, replaced the window washers and got to work on the drivers door. You can start to see how the new interior is going to look in the car.

Also, I found that I will be able to use the front door speakers in the doors of the 87. All that had to be done was drill out the rivets on the bracket for the assembly on the 94 and move it to the 87... Pictures. The holes etc are already in the stamping of the 87's door!

Learned my Alarm works today... Set it off and off and off for about a solid 15 minutes until I got the battery disconnected. Never knew it worked before lol. Course, I don't have the door handle/key finished in the drivers side door, so I could not disarm it... My wife came out and was like really? lol.

But also got a good looking at the outside lighting because of it, and I love those headlights... Wife agrees with me on keeping the original 87 markers and tail lights. like the darker yellow better.

Anyone know what this switch is I found under the dash (inside the dash) of the 94? Also, reaffirmed my choice of parting out that 94 today.. found a LOT more rust... Also found the floor under carpet covered in sand.... I'm thinking this was a storm car...

Oh well, what I need from it is fine. If you look close at the picture of the 94 I took to show some of the rust, You can see the brand new front Springs in the car... I'm still on the fence about them. The om603 is so much heavier, do you thing they would work in the 87?
This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-27-2013, 05:24 PM #30

Little further today.

Finished both rear doors. Added some more or the body molding, replaced the window washers and got to work on the drivers door. You can start to see how the new interior is going to look in the car.

Also, I found that I will be able to use the front door speakers in the doors of the 87. All that had to be done was drill out the rivets on the bracket for the assembly on the 94 and move it to the 87... Pictures. The holes etc are already in the stamping of the 87's door!

Learned my Alarm works today... Set it off and off and off for about a solid 15 minutes until I got the battery disconnected. Never knew it worked before lol. Course, I don't have the door handle/key finished in the drivers side door, so I could not disarm it... My wife came out and was like really? lol.

But also got a good looking at the outside lighting because of it, and I love those headlights... Wife agrees with me on keeping the original 87 markers and tail lights. like the darker yellow better.

Anyone know what this switch is I found under the dash (inside the dash) of the 94? Also, reaffirmed my choice of parting out that 94 today.. found a LOT more rust... Also found the floor under carpet covered in sand.... I'm thinking this was a storm car...

Oh well, what I need from it is fine. If you look close at the picture of the 94 I took to show some of the rust, You can see the brand new front Springs in the car... I'm still on the fence about them. The om603 is so much heavier, do you thing they would work in the 87?

Attached Files
Image(s)

winmutt
bitbanger

10-30-2013, 10:25 AM #31
Interesting. When I looked at doing the door swap to get the indoor speaker, the rear part of the opening was smaller or totally closed. Seems like a trip to the JY!

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM #31

Interesting. When I looked at doing the door swap to get the indoor speaker, the rear part of the opening was smaller or totally closed. Seems like a trip to the JY!

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-31-2013, 06:49 AM #32
400e sportline springs are only like $150 new. I didn't have to cut mine and the ride height is pretty much identical to the later w124's, which is about as low as I want a daily driver to be.
raysorenson
10-31-2013, 06:49 AM #32

400e sportline springs are only like $150 new. I didn't have to cut mine and the ride height is pretty much identical to the later w124's, which is about as low as I want a daily driver to be.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-01-2013, 06:07 PM #33
(10-30-2013, 10:25 AM)winmutt Interesting. When I looked at doing the door swap to get the indoor speaker, the rear part of the opening was smaller or totally closed. Seems like a trip to the JY!

Turns out the passenger door is not the same and will require cutting....
NGARover
11-01-2013, 06:07 PM #33

(10-30-2013, 10:25 AM)winmutt Interesting. When I looked at doing the door swap to get the indoor speaker, the rear part of the opening was smaller or totally closed. Seems like a trip to the JY!

Turns out the passenger door is not the same and will require cutting....

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-02-2013, 06:43 PM #34
First off,,, THANKS goes out to winmutt who took time out to come up today and help me take a look at the car.

Also... I got a ride in his white 87... No words. Ok, scratch that... LOTS of words. That car rocks. I literally pushes you back in the seats during acceleration. I have not felt that since my Blown 383 truck!. His car is a rocket and what I aspire too. After I get this damn car back together as I want it, a pump is next on my list.

Well, removing my cat is next on my list... but you see where I'm going.

Anyways, got quite a bit done today and made 1 huge f-up...Learn from my mistakes... You will learn a lot cause I make a lot of them...

I went over to my donor car and took off the trim on the roof and top of the windshield... came off easy. Popped right up and I was like well no big deal...

So I used the tabs from the donor, soaked them in some phosphoric acid to treat any rust, then painted them all with black rustolum and riveted them to replace missing ones on my car. so far so good...

Then I go to take off the top strip above my windshield and hear a little POP! I broke the frank brand new windshield!!!! Well that's just craptastic. So another new windshield will have to be installed. last one cost me about 250. But at least it will give me the chance to replace a few of the bad, and missing clips along the top, seems that because of there condition last time the installer used Butyl sealer, to hold the trim in place... hence the issue and new broken windshield.

I got the speaker into the pass door. Made a template from the donor door and cut out the little bit of metal, Riveted in the new bracket and hit all the cuts etc with black rustolum...(can't be to careful) hahah

Also replaced some of the mounting clips for the trim that goes along the bottom the the rear window.

Got the interior out of the donor... Need to get it totally striped so I can have full access to the wire harness to move everything over. Will also give me the chance to steam clean the carpets etc. The drivers seat is worn. will need some attention. I'll be getting ahold of fibranew for that and see what the cost is.

Oh, and I got the alarm system fully working again, replaced the bad electronics in the from doors with the parts from the donor. Some soldering and was good to go.

Winmutt got here and took a look at the car with me. look to only be off maybe a degree. He left me the pump tool to reset it. Car is sitting exactly at 14 right now.

Need to find a full set of IP lines. So, if thou have a set let me know.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
11-02-2013, 06:43 PM #34

First off,,, THANKS goes out to winmutt who took time out to come up today and help me take a look at the car.

Also... I got a ride in his white 87... No words. Ok, scratch that... LOTS of words. That car rocks. I literally pushes you back in the seats during acceleration. I have not felt that since my Blown 383 truck!. His car is a rocket and what I aspire too. After I get this damn car back together as I want it, a pump is next on my list.

Well, removing my cat is next on my list... but you see where I'm going.

Anyways, got quite a bit done today and made 1 huge f-up...Learn from my mistakes... You will learn a lot cause I make a lot of them...

I went over to my donor car and took off the trim on the roof and top of the windshield... came off easy. Popped right up and I was like well no big deal...

So I used the tabs from the donor, soaked them in some phosphoric acid to treat any rust, then painted them all with black rustolum and riveted them to replace missing ones on my car. so far so good...

Then I go to take off the top strip above my windshield and hear a little POP! I broke the frank brand new windshield!!!! Well that's just craptastic. So another new windshield will have to be installed. last one cost me about 250. But at least it will give me the chance to replace a few of the bad, and missing clips along the top, seems that because of there condition last time the installer used Butyl sealer, to hold the trim in place... hence the issue and new broken windshield.

I got the speaker into the pass door. Made a template from the donor door and cut out the little bit of metal, Riveted in the new bracket and hit all the cuts etc with black rustolum...(can't be to careful) hahah

Also replaced some of the mounting clips for the trim that goes along the bottom the the rear window.

Got the interior out of the donor... Need to get it totally striped so I can have full access to the wire harness to move everything over. Will also give me the chance to steam clean the carpets etc. The drivers seat is worn. will need some attention. I'll be getting ahold of fibranew for that and see what the cost is.

Oh, and I got the alarm system fully working again, replaced the bad electronics in the from doors with the parts from the donor. Some soldering and was good to go.

Winmutt got here and took a look at the car with me. look to only be off maybe a degree. He left me the pump tool to reset it. Car is sitting exactly at 14 right now.

Need to find a full set of IP lines. So, if thou have a set let me know.

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-02-2013, 07:51 PM #35
Oh, on a side note... holy crap are the leather 94 e320 seats heavy... I mean like twice the weight of the 87 seats... Oddly, the rears seem lighter...
NGARover
11-02-2013, 07:51 PM #35

Oh, on a side note... holy crap are the leather 94 e320 seats heavy... I mean like twice the weight of the 87 seats... Oddly, the rears seem lighter...

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-09-2013, 06:01 PM #36
'Ok back at it... long work week. didn't have a ton of time today but got the rear shelf out of the donor along wight he rear pillar head rest etc, and got them installed in the 87. looking better already. tomorrow is the dash then I'll start the carpet and seats. Steam cleaning everything as I go.
NGARover
11-09-2013, 06:01 PM #36

'Ok back at it... long work week. didn't have a ton of time today but got the rear shelf out of the donor along wight he rear pillar head rest etc, and got them installed in the 87. looking better already. tomorrow is the dash then I'll start the carpet and seats. Steam cleaning everything as I go.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-10-2013, 06:45 PM #37
Little further today... as it normally goes, as your about to do something you see something else that needs to be done first...

Noticed that the battery tray was rusted out. Had to use a grinder to remove the bolts. Fortunately, under it was 100 fine. Also, had a nice replacement from the 94 so in it went after a fresh coat of paint.

That done, I removed the dash from the 87 plus the rest of the interior. Got the main carpet down, finished up the rear deck (except for the speakers) turns out the 94 speakers are bigger than the 87's and they do not fit. Also, I'm going to need to source new rear deal speaker enclosures sun made the 94's to brittle and I was unable to remove them without breaking one.

Started to figure out how I'm going to move over the switches/wiring for the 94's seats. Best I can figure is to just pull the 87's wire and rewire in the wires from the 94. Going to take quite a bit of soldering etc, since there seems to be no good way to pull the wire loom out of the doors. So just cutting them and will reconnect them after the wire is pulled into the 87. Have not been able to locate a good solid wire diagram for both cars to try and compare so in the long run I think this will be faster.

Car is still up in the air in the front waiting on me to try and re time the pump... Winmutt left the car at 14, I'm wondering if I should pull the valve cover and make sure that the cam marks are actually lining up.

As usually ran out of time so, this might be all I get done till next weekend.

Been finding a lot of add ons in the 94... Had a phone in the armrest. Trying to figure out where the remote locking is, would like to move that over also. I think it's an aftermarket setup, but I need to figure out where the box is. There was an after market 12 disk cd changer. A laser fuss buster in the ashtray, Microphones in the ceiling. (I'm guessing for the phone system) Plus a couple other things I have yet to identify...

Guess what was under the carpet in the 87? A single serving packet of sauerkraut! LOL. No idea how that would have gotten under the carpet but had a good laugh from it. I guess it's a German car and all...

Also found a set of rims with tire I like the looks of and I think they will fit...

[Image: 00505_3Rm9o5tYWdF_600x450.jpg]

Fusion UHP 235/45/17 tires.
Mounted and balanced.
Never seen the road.

Bolt pattern 5-112
Offset 32 mm
Center bore 66.56 mm
Direct Mercedes Benz fit.
This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
11-10-2013, 06:45 PM #37

Little further today... as it normally goes, as your about to do something you see something else that needs to be done first...

Noticed that the battery tray was rusted out. Had to use a grinder to remove the bolts. Fortunately, under it was 100 fine. Also, had a nice replacement from the 94 so in it went after a fresh coat of paint.

That done, I removed the dash from the 87 plus the rest of the interior. Got the main carpet down, finished up the rear deck (except for the speakers) turns out the 94 speakers are bigger than the 87's and they do not fit. Also, I'm going to need to source new rear deal speaker enclosures sun made the 94's to brittle and I was unable to remove them without breaking one.

Started to figure out how I'm going to move over the switches/wiring for the 94's seats. Best I can figure is to just pull the 87's wire and rewire in the wires from the 94. Going to take quite a bit of soldering etc, since there seems to be no good way to pull the wire loom out of the doors. So just cutting them and will reconnect them after the wire is pulled into the 87. Have not been able to locate a good solid wire diagram for both cars to try and compare so in the long run I think this will be faster.

Car is still up in the air in the front waiting on me to try and re time the pump... Winmutt left the car at 14, I'm wondering if I should pull the valve cover and make sure that the cam marks are actually lining up.

Been finding a lot of add ons in the 94... Had a phone in the armrest. Trying to figure out where the remote locking is, would like to move that over also. I think it's an aftermarket setup, but I need to figure out where the box is. There was an after market 12 disk cd changer. A laser fuss buster in the ashtray, Microphones in the ceiling. (I'm guessing for the phone system) Plus a couple other things I have yet to identify...

Guess what was under the carpet in the 87? A single serving packet of sauerkraut! LOL. No idea how that would have gotten under the carpet but had a good laugh from it. I guess it's a German car and all...

Also found a set of rims with tire I like the looks of and I think they will fit...

Mounted and balanced.
Never seen the road.

Bolt pattern 5-112
Offset 32 mm
Center bore 66.56 mm

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

11-11-2013, 01:44 PM #38
Wish I would have seen that you needed IP lines.. I could have grabbed one of the two sets I saw in the PNP yards recently while looking for a 603 head.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
11-11-2013, 01:44 PM #38

Wish I would have seen that you needed IP lines.. I could have grabbed one of the two sets I saw in the PNP yards recently while looking for a 603 head.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-11-2013, 10:48 PM #39
wish there was a good php in the Chattanooga area.

Guy is telling me that this rims will not work on my car due to the spindles? True?

(11-10-2013, 06:45 PM)NGARover Little further today... as it normally goes, as your about to do something you see something else that needs to be done first...

Mounted and balanced.
Never seen the road.

Bolt pattern 5-112
Offset 32 mm
Center bore 66.56 mm
This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 10:49 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
11-11-2013, 10:48 PM #39

wish there was a good php in the Chattanooga area.

Guy is telling me that this rims will not work on my car due to the spindles? True?

(11-10-2013, 06:45 PM)NGARover Little further today... as it normally goes, as your about to do something you see something else that needs to be done first...

Mounted and balanced.
Never seen the road.

Bolt pattern 5-112
Offset 32 mm
Center bore 66.56 mm

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

11-12-2013, 01:45 PM #40
Bearing cap might stick out where the center cap goes. Would have to measure where the wheel touches the rotor to the end of the bearing cap then have them measure the wheels.

I might be able to hook you up with some injection lines. Checking with a guy I know that has some parts. I'm going to see him later today so I'll let you know.

capflya
11-12-2013, 01:45 PM #40

Bearing cap might stick out where the center cap goes. Would have to measure where the wheel touches the rotor to the end of the bearing cap then have them measure the wheels.

I might be able to hook you up with some injection lines. Checking with a guy I know that has some parts. I'm going to see him later today so I'll let you know.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-12-2013, 07:07 PM #41
Great!

Got further today. Spent the day fishing the wire from the 94 to the 94's seat switch etc. Also ran the wire for the electric drivers mirror and the door speakers. Got the drivers seat in and tested it, all works except for the head rest, but I need to look up the wiring of the 87 versus the 94 to fix. I think the headrest uses pink wires... not sure. Took a look at the center pod in the climate control... what a pain in the ass. Those back 2 screws are a nightmare. But got it off and replaced it with the pod from the 94. Also replaced the flaps inside, since the rubber was torn and shot in the 87. Took a look down at the pod inside by the eval. Have to look up how to remove that. I understand how to push the tab and turn it to free it from the bracket etc, but how do you open the top flap enough to pouch that tab in the first place? Fun fun. At least that will work for the first time since I've own the car after this. It's amazing how many parts I have now scavenged off the parts car. A lot more than I ever thought I would and I'm not even close to done. I still have the brakes, springs etc to get off it. Going to also save all bulbs, vac line tees etc... never know when you need that kind of stuff. And wire... tons of wire.. I always need it so its a keeper also.

Oh, and all that wire I ran, it's all soldered, heat shrunk then wrapped in electrical tape to bundle. should last forever. Smile
This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
11-12-2013, 07:07 PM #41

Great!

Got further today. Spent the day fishing the wire from the 94 to the 94's seat switch etc. Also ran the wire for the electric drivers mirror and the door speakers. Got the drivers seat in and tested it, all works except for the head rest, but I need to look up the wiring of the 87 versus the 94 to fix. I think the headrest uses pink wires... not sure. Took a look at the center pod in the climate control... what a pain in the ass. Those back 2 screws are a nightmare. But got it off and replaced it with the pod from the 94. Also replaced the flaps inside, since the rubber was torn and shot in the 87. Took a look down at the pod inside by the eval. Have to look up how to remove that. I understand how to push the tab and turn it to free it from the bracket etc, but how do you open the top flap enough to pouch that tab in the first place? Fun fun. At least that will work for the first time since I've own the car after this. It's amazing how many parts I have now scavenged off the parts car. A lot more than I ever thought I would and I'm not even close to done. I still have the brakes, springs etc to get off it. Going to also save all bulbs, vac line tees etc... never know when you need that kind of stuff. And wire... tons of wire.. I always need it so its a keeper also.

Oh, and all that wire I ran, it's all soldered, heat shrunk then wrapped in electrical tape to bundle. should last forever. Smile

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-13-2013, 09:22 AM #42
Pictures of injector lines in current condition. Man that guy really screwed them up... I don't think I could have done worse.
This post was last modified: 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM by NGARover.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
11-13-2013, 09:22 AM #42

Pictures of injector lines in current condition. Man that guy really screwed them up... I don't think I could have done worse.

Attached Files
Image(s)

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

11-13-2013, 10:15 AM #43
Wow.. those look "custom".

capflya
11-13-2013, 10:15 AM #43

Wow.. those look "custom".

willbhere4u

11-13-2013, 10:35 AM #44
make sure you get the clips and brackets that are missing they keep them from rubbing mine almost rubbed through in several places.

check out this thread http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...-need-help
This post was last modified: 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM by willbhere4u.
Attached Files
Image(s)

willbhere4u
11-13-2013, 10:35 AM #44

make sure you get the clips and brackets that are missing they keep them from rubbing mine almost rubbed through in several places.

Attached Files
Image(s)

raysorenson
Superturbo

11-13-2013, 02:30 PM #45
Not only is rubbing a problem but they will break from vibration too.
raysorenson
11-13-2013, 02:30 PM #45

Not only is rubbing a problem but they will break from vibration too.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-13-2013, 08:27 PM #46
(11-13-2013, 10:35 AM)willbhere4u make sure you get the clips and brackets that are missing they keep them from rubbing mine almost rubbed through in several places.

Thanks for these pictures, that will help when I get the stuff to put it back together.
NGARover
11-13-2013, 08:27 PM #46

(11-13-2013, 10:35 AM)willbhere4u make sure you get the clips and brackets that are missing they keep them from rubbing mine almost rubbed through in several places.

Thanks for these pictures, that will help when I get the stuff to put it back together.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-13-2013, 11:22 PM #47
Worked on the car a little this morning before work, replacing the vacuum pods with the ones from the 94. Testing each as I go. out of the 7... 4 have been shot. Center, the one inside, the one on the top left and one of the ones behind the radio... the pair behind the top of the box are good... tempted to just leave them alone. Also found out that the 94 has a newer updated single pod bend the radio so I need to find a good "old" style one. I guess I can replace that after the fact as I don't need the dash off to get to them.

Then Iwent on searched for new pods... holy crap they are expensive. By my math, the ones I used from the 94 almost paid off what I spent on the car LOL! too replace all with new looks like about 5-6 hundred bucks.... never knew.
This post was last modified: 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
11-13-2013, 11:22 PM #47

Worked on the car a little this morning before work, replacing the vacuum pods with the ones from the 94. Testing each as I go. out of the 7... 4 have been shot. Center, the one inside, the one on the top left and one of the ones behind the radio... the pair behind the top of the box are good... tempted to just leave them alone. Also found out that the 94 has a newer updated single pod bend the radio so I need to find a good "old" style one. I guess I can replace that after the fact as I don't need the dash off to get to them.

Then Iwent on searched for new pods... holy crap they are expensive. By my math, the ones I used from the 94 almost paid off what I spent on the car LOL! too replace all with new looks like about 5-6 hundred bucks.... never knew.

willbhere4u

11-14-2013, 10:17 AM #48
I got all of the brackets/clips and rubber new from Mercedes for not very much. the little brackets where like $7 and the big bracket on the front 3 lines was like $17.50 as I remember.
This post was last modified: 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM by willbhere4u.

willbhere4u
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM #48

I got all of the brackets/clips and rubber new from Mercedes for not very much. the little brackets where like $7 and the big bracket on the front 3 lines was like $17.50 as I remember.

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-16-2013, 05:27 PM #49
Had a nice day, worked on the car from about 8am till it got too dark...

Dash basically installed, Pass seat installed along with door panel and carpeting. Rear seat back in. Lots of other little things, working on the wiring etc. Have to not only swap in the wiring for some of the stuff I swapped over but also have to figure out the nest of wires left my who knows how many previous owners... fun.

Looks more and more like a real car everyday.
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
11-16-2013, 05:27 PM #49

Had a nice day, worked on the car from about 8am till it got too dark...

Dash basically installed, Pass seat installed along with door panel and carpeting. Rear seat back in. Lots of other little things, working on the wiring etc. Have to not only swap in the wiring for some of the stuff I swapped over but also have to figure out the nest of wires left my who knows how many previous owners... fun.

Looks more and more like a real car everyday.

Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
GTA2056V

11-17-2013, 04:35 PM #50
Rain all day. But worked more on the inside and painted the dash needles etc. Discovered that the shifter is shorter in the 87... So, I'll have to take the one out of the 94 or the wood and trim will not match up. Always something.

Got both mirrors working, and everything for the most part is back together
This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM by NGARover.
NGARover
11-17-2013, 04:35 PM #50

Rain all day. But worked more on the inside and painted the dash needles etc. Discovered that the shifter is shorter in the 87... So, I'll have to take the one out of the 94 or the wood and trim will not match up. Always something.

Got both mirrors working, and everything for the most part is back together

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average