STD Tuning Drivetrain Kick-Down - how does it work?

Kick-Down - how does it work?

Kick-Down - how does it work?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

07-07-2013, 04:56 AM #1
Hi!

I'm currently scratching my head a little, as the kick-down doesn't work. Well, I'm actually just in the process of fitting the KD/Klima relais. The thing I'm wondering about it this valve (Y3) that I can't find...

The gasser transmission had two vacuume connections. The OM603 turbo transmission has only 1. I can't remember any valve, other than the overboost protection valve (deleted now).

So - where does this ominous Y3 valve go and what does it do?? I have no left-over vacuume connections. Or other connectors on the gearbox (722.357).

OM603.960 from '90. With the blue flying saucer vacuume amplifier.

Thanks for any input!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
07-07-2013, 04:56 AM #1

Hi!

I'm currently scratching my head a little, as the kick-down doesn't work. Well, I'm actually just in the process of fitting the KD/Klima relais. The thing I'm wondering about it this valve (Y3) that I can't find...

The gasser transmission had two vacuume connections. The OM603 turbo transmission has only 1. I can't remember any valve, other than the overboost protection valve (deleted now).

So - where does this ominous Y3 valve go and what does it do?? I have no left-over vacuume connections. Or other connectors on the gearbox (722.357).

OM603.960 from '90. With the blue flying saucer vacuume amplifier.

Thanks for any input!

07-08-2013, 06:49 AM #2
In case anybody gives a fook; Y3 is the solenoid on the end of the gearbox. If kick-down switch is activated, it opens up a needle valve for maximum controll pressure. Current for the solenoid passes through the kick-down relais which cuts off current if engine revs are too high and the engine would over-rev in kick-down. Pretty simple.

The valve on the controll cable is for kick-down switch off ('E' mode) on gassers only.

DiseaselWeasel
07-08-2013, 06:49 AM #2

In case anybody gives a fook; Y3 is the solenoid on the end of the gearbox. If kick-down switch is activated, it opens up a needle valve for maximum controll pressure. Current for the solenoid passes through the kick-down relais which cuts off current if engine revs are too high and the engine would over-rev in kick-down. Pretty simple.

The valve on the controll cable is for kick-down switch off ('E' mode) on gassers only.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-08-2013, 08:13 AM #3
(07-08-2013, 06:49 AM)DiseaselWeasel In case anybody gives a fook; Y3 is the solenoid on the end of the gearbox. If kick-down switch is activated, it opens up a needle valve for maximum controll pressure. Current for the solenoid passes through the kick-down relais which cuts off current if engine revs are too high and the engine would over-rev in kick-down. Pretty simple.

You're a hero for posting back, someone will use this info even if they don't register and say thanks

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-08-2013, 08:13 AM #3

(07-08-2013, 06:49 AM)DiseaselWeasel In case anybody gives a fook; Y3 is the solenoid on the end of the gearbox. If kick-down switch is activated, it opens up a needle valve for maximum controll pressure. Current for the solenoid passes through the kick-down relais which cuts off current if engine revs are too high and the engine would over-rev in kick-down. Pretty simple.

You're a hero for posting back, someone will use this info even if they don't register and say thanks

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average